Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I'm sad to see the awful photo thread gone. I know it was a circle jerk but it was enjoyable as a jerker, and honestly useful as a learning tool to some extent. Seeing so many bad things (like dead looking selective color babies) was useful when I was just starting to get into photography. It really brought attention to that terrible poo poo and had its use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
I'm sad to see it go too. This is "Something Awful" after all, and what distinguishes us from yet-another-photography forum is our shared dark sense of humour and willingness to mercilessly make fun of dreadful photos.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

David Pratt posted:

I'm sad to see it go too.
It was my favourite thread. :(

Did some huge drama bomb hit or something? It's still not clear to me why it's gone.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

InternetJunky posted:

It was my favourite thread. :(

Did some huge drama bomb hit or something? It's still not clear to me why it's gone.

Vaginas.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I say bring it back, like classic Coke.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

rio posted:

circle jerk

DJExile posted:

Vaginas.

Ok so I'd sorta been deliberately ignoring that thread for a while because while it was a bit circle jerky and terrible (ok more than a little terrible), at least it wasn't generating reports and poo poo.

I'm not really opposed to the concept of that thread, but that particular thread ID right there was a really, really lovely thread and I locked it before I had to start pressing buttons bigger than 'Close'. Let's all take a few days off from that (type of) thread and maybe think up some ways to have it not be a horrible unfunny circle jerk, then revisit the idea.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I like laughing at bad photographers too, that's why I like when you guys post PAD :v:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

What's the point of talking about awful photos? They're everywhere. They're not hard to find. Circlejerking around terrible photos only provides a way to justify stagnation rather than growth.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Talking about stupid poo poo that's going on in the world is a vital part of blowing off steam. :colbert:

Obviously there's a limit to how far it can go, but up to that point there's nothing wrong with it and it might even be a good thing.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Blow off steam by taking some :krad: photos.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

dukeku posted:

What's the point of talking about awful photos?
Because it's funny and this is a humour website.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

David Pratt posted:

While I agree with dukeku this is also true. I'm trying to come up with some ways for a thread like this to not be exactly what that terrible thread was.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

David Pratt posted:

Be funnier next time? :shrug:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

Be funnier next time? :shrug:

This but unironically, actually. It ain't a race to the bottom of the barrel, it's supposed to be actual funny commentary on bad photographs.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Mandatory critiques?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Mandatory funny jokes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

rio posted:

Mandatory critiques?

Use the PAD rules, can't post a photo without making serious commentary. :colbert:

(but if you don't post a photo, comedy is required)

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SoundMonkey posted:

While I agree with dukeku this is also true. I'm trying to come up with some ways for a thread like this to not be exactly what that terrible thread was.

Make thread, move thread to GBS.

Problem solved is someone else's to deal with.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Can we make it that if you haven't actually used a piece of equipment you should't express your opinion about it as if you have. I feel like this shouldn't have to be said but there seems to be a lot of opinions about gear that isn't necessarily founded in actual experience.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Laser Cow posted:

Can we make it that if you haven't actually used a piece of equipment you should't express your opinion about it as if you have. I feel like this shouldn't have to be said but there seems to be a lot of opinions about gear that isn't necessarily founded in actual experience.

I feel that I can express an opinion about your post, since I have personally shitposted before.

This is a dumb post.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
You have swayed me with your insightful commentary.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Laser Cow posted:

I've never used Nikon gear but it sucks a bag of dicks. That is a fact based on an actual experience. I agree tho - every time we post about a piece of gear we must include a pic of the gear - must include our face and a piece of paper with our user name, date, time, sexual preference, list of food allergies & favorite New Kid.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Any gearchat about things that aren't pentax me supers should be bannable.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Whitezombi posted:

I've never used Nikon gear but it sucks a bag of dicks. That is a fact based on an actual experience. I agree tho - every time we post about a piece of gear we must include a pic of the gear - must include our face and a piece of paper with our user name, date, time, sexual preference, list of food allergies & favorite New Kid.

Take heed internet, this man is an expert on bags of dicks. Also my favorite New Kid is Donnie because I bet partying with him and his brother is rad as hell.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
At the very least can we not talk about MTF charts and how we bought 4 copies of a sigma lens to do sharpness tests with because your hobby work will one day be hung in MOMA.

We are all perfectly aware of quality issues regarding 3rd party lens purchases.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

8th-samurai posted:

Take heed internet, this man is an expert on bags of dicks. Also my favorite New Kid is Donnie because I bet partying with him and his brother is rad as hell.

Gotta be an expert on somethin in life. I'm kinda partial to Danny.

Musket posted:

At the very least can we not talk about MTF charts and how we bought 4 copies of a sigma lens to do sharpness tests with because your hobby work will one day be hung in MOMA.

We are all perfectly aware of quality issues regarding 3rd party lens purchases.

A better way to say this - Shut the gently caress up and take photos.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Whitezombi posted:

A better way to say this - Shut the gently caress up and take photos.

Truth

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Laser Cow posted:

Absolutely not and also what the hell.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I think that comment might have been meant for internetgearforum.com and not here.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

rio posted:

I think that comment might have been meant for internetgearforum.com and not here.

internetgearforum.com › shut the gently caress up and take photos

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The forum still needs to be renamed to The Pentax ME Superroom.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Mr. Despair posted:

The forum still needs to be renamed to The Pentax ME Superroom.

Whitezombi posted:

shut the gently caress up and take photos

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

Whitezombi posted:

pic must include your face and a piece of paper with your user name, date, time, sexual preference, list of food allergies & favorite New Kid.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

This isn't the drat chat thread you idiots.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I propose a new rule, that we are allowed to chat ITT.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

I propose a new rule, that we are allowed to chat ITT.

Carefully considered and summarily rejected.

Shortbus agrees.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I propose that if you use shortbus in any official manner (such as the above mention) that a picture be included as proof.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

I propose that if you use shortbus in any official manner (such as the above mention) that a picture be included as proof.

I propose you stop making GBS threads up the rules thread before I probate you :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

SoundMonkey posted:

I propose you stop making GBS threads up the rules thread before I probate you :v:

Reported for threadshitting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)