Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

Grout posted:

I feel so loving old right now.
Same here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

Pele. I think her biggest moments involved making out with another girl goon at one of Lowtax's goon meets, followed by the time she went to visit not-girl goon Oddjob, who proposed to her at the airport (and the first time actually meeting her) and proceeded to post a thread about it. That thread was glorious if only for the first page or two where people posted "Congratulations!" without knowing the whole story mixed with posts consisting solely of "hahahahahaha" by people who did.

quote:

fookoof came out of the closet to say:
Hey, Pele,

When you're in Australia, does the all-consuming vortex into your vagina rotate in the opposite direction? That would be cool!

I really wish I could find the GIF that goes with this...

Edit:

Here's the thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=182849

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

Satisfaction Guaranteed posted:

Also, does anyone remember the OLLLDDDDDDD avatars? The ones that went by postcount?
Pretty sure one of them had a picture of this guy:

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?

Overbite posted:

[img=fiestacat]

Is this still bannable? Lowtax used to have a seething hatred for this picture.

Pipe Dreamer
Sep 2, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My first exposure to Something Awful was those trolling icq chatlogs that lowtax used to do. Talking to the parenting expert about shaking his kid up in the "punishment box" was about the funniest poo poo ever.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

When's the last time we had a Lowtax-sanctioned forum invasion? Those were always good for some laffs.

COME BACK SKEWLOOSE!!

Also, does anyone remember the OLLLDDDDDDD avatars? The ones that went by postcount?
"I stole a pie from Estelle Getty"
"HERE COMES THE CYCLOPS"

Drighton
Nov 30, 2005

Computer viking posted:

Would this be the guy who claimed to be on the run from his ex(?) who had contacts in the police?
(I remember I read that linked from the SAclopedia a while ago...)

Ahhh, jbarwick and Frankie the purple dildo. One of the few threads I remember.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you've been around for awhile, you can GO BACK IN TIME by looking at your avatar. They are numbered, so you can roll back the numbers.

Here's my list!

Please note the bouncy alien avatar that EVERYONE seemed to have around here before 2002. I made my frame by frame and it was an awesome thing to have for about a year.

aphid
Sep 9, 2001
Blank space
I always like threads like this because they bring out all the old timers that I enjoyed reading back then. Now I have no clue know who's posts are worth it to read.

I am just glad gimmicks are gone for the most part. Posters like Human 2.0 and that guy who would make up those fake stories were horrible. I can't remember that guys name. He would start out the post with a plausible story and then it would turn in to some stupid twist at the end (I know I am in the minority about not liking him).

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Petr posted:

One thing I miss is the random word filters. We still have the "loving" filters and such for non-registered users, but it was pretty funny to wake up one day and discover that overdiscussed topic X had been filtered to YAMS YAMS YAMS YAMS.

Miracle farts was great.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Tarkus posted:

- People were more 'conservative' in terms of being callous or dismissive of poo poo that happens to others. You have to remember that this was the tail end of the 90's when everyone had a job or was in school. Things are a little different for most.

- The humor was more freewheeling and spontaneous. Well, I just think that the median age of the posters on the forums has gotten older. Hell, I was here when I was 20, and I'm 32 now. I am a totally different person now than I was then and I'm sure that goes for most everyone here.
I think these two are related. It's easier to be an internet libertarian when you're 17 years old in your mom's basement and never had to work for anything in your life. When you're 25 and work a horrible thankless hell job suddenly it's easier to empathize with other people. Or just getting your world view challenged in your first semester at college.

I mean god, I can barely imagine the person I was back eleven years ago. I was at least 5% more of an rear end in a top hat.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

JP Money posted:

Does anyone remember that flamethrower thread? That's what got me to join after lurking a while.

That poo poo was awesome. And thanks to SA I can't tolerate any gun forum outside of TFR. Nowhere else can I get good info on poo poo without any of that HEH FOR WHEN THE MINORITIESJEWSAY-RABSPROTESTANTSZOMBIES ROLL UP GET THIS *horrible piece of poo poo* PS LYNCH NOBAMMER! garbage.

And in the event someone that stupid actually shows up, they get mocked relentlessly and driven off. :munch:

Also, the Frankie story.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Nomenklatura posted:

The SA anime forum is one of the most benign, tightly controlled fora on the subject anywhere on the Internet.
I remember the thread - The Thread - in ADTRW that spanned more than a year of people posting non-stop pictures of the most horrific, out-of-this-world hosed up gore/hentai imagery you can possibly imagine.

Oh, it was glorious.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Earwicker posted:

I think front page content is still good, though I don't read it as often as I used to. The forums culture has changed and become somewhat more mainstream, but this was really part of the same process happening to internet culture in general, its not really an SA specific thing. It has become a bit more insular, and is no longer one of the leading generators of content like it used to be, its become eclipsed to an extent by sites like 4chan and especially reddit. Part of that is because traditional messageboards are themselves becoming a bit outdated, and also because SA asks for more effort from OP's. Overall I think what is responsible for making SA different is really the interent itself changing rather drastically over the last decade. I don't think its really a "better or worse" issue.

Awhile back I read a great article about the natural progression of forums. Essentially it talked about how they started off with a lot of young adults and sort of mature with their users. Many form their own cliques and memes and thus it's harder to attract newer members to replenish the older ones.

It is interesting to see the progression. The sub-forums are much more mature. I'd put SAS at or above any of the sports specific forums out there. Same goes for games and other sub-forums. I think that's pretty cool to have such a dynamic forum that doesn't lose quality as you get more specific. GBS is much different though. Used to have more tomfoolery (someone did mention e/n threads helping that out) and now seems more like politics-lite.

ActionExpress
Dec 28, 2002
"How do I sniff panty?" :)

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

It has been a while, hasn't it?

The forums have gotten older. Now we mostly have jobs, I think. I seem to remember a goon meet in Costa Mesa with maybe 15% of the total active posting population, right after SA Forums posters were called goons. Was this the second goon meet? Third? Anyway, goatse.cx was brought up, and (a few days later) became A Thing.

My '01 forums self wished I'd registered after that meet, instead of a few months later, because now my regdate is the youngest of the 'old ones.'

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Everything used to just kind of be in GBS as well, now a lot of content has moved to various subforums, and the the subforums have started to branch off of each other in various ways.

There also used to be a lot more ban-me threads. The last one I can remember is the guy jizzing on his keyboard shavings and then eating them. I do miss the threads where we could see the rantings of someone who had gone insane.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Man the SAAN forum invasion... Seems like a lifetime ago. I remember a few of them stuck around.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

The Bible posted:

This place used to be fairly conservative, too, believe it or not. I mean, it was no freep, but compared to today, it was quite different.

A lot of capital-C conservative posters got permabanned in 2008 because they'd Toxxed themselves on McCain getting elected.

frontyardninja
Nov 5, 2005

My good friend Waterhaul registered 2 accounts after we spent so much time lurking in Ghost Story and Photoshop threads. I can remember reading Cliff Yablonski in the computer labs back during my first year of college (02-03).

During the summer I went through a stack of CDs in my desk drawers - folders and folders of smilies, gifs, loving happycat, a lot of goon creations, that picture of lowtax in the pool. :psyduck:

A lot of stuff that doesn't entertain me anymore, but more the knowledge that it once did.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

VextheGrey
Dec 3, 2000

"No, Sasquatch! NOOOOO!!"
I try not to think about how long I've been here. I still don't get FYAD.

The biggest changes really seem to be that the community felt much more close-knit in the past, which was probably just a function of user size more than anything. That, and with fewer specific subforums people probably interacted across their groups more.

GBS has really changed though, it's true there were a ton of crap threads you might have to wade through, but some of them could really turn into comedy gold on accident. I'm not sure Yorba Linda Water District would make it on the modern day forums (though I do believe that was actually FYAD started, so maybe?).

All in all though, SA by far is one of the best forums around that I've seen.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

putt putt posted:

Hahah holy poo poo yes.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I joined because I thought the Photoshop Phridays and ROMPit Reviews were hilarious (especially the Revolution X one). The first threads I remember reading were:

-Pele's banme thread
-One goon convincing another goon to drink his own piss for medical diagnostic purposes
-A goon getting Andrew WK to sign a Fiestacat picture

Dear Lord, I am old :(

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

VextheGrey posted:

All in all though, SA by far is one of the best forums around that I've seen.

There are very few forums that are even close to SA in just usability. A few of my friends read some forums where 1/2 page sig blocks are still...cool?

I love seeing the old goons... Joined when it was free. We are a dying breed.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I joined during the Zidane thread, and it was just so amazing watching all the submissions come in. I couldn't believe that one message board could contain so much talent. Before registering I had never given any thought to where funny poo poo on the Internet actually came from.

I used to post on message boards that were so narrow in focus and so small and insular that coming to SA was like some yokel going to the big city for the first time.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

putt putt posted:

My good friend Waterhaul registered 2 accounts after we spent so much time lurking in Ghost Story and Photoshop threads. I can remember reading Cliff Yablonski in the computer labs back during my first year of college (02-03).

During the summer I went through a stack of CDs in my desk drawers - folders and folders of smilies, gifs, loving happycat, a lot of goon creations, that picture of lowtax in the pool. :psyduck:

A lot of stuff that doesn't entertain me anymore, but more the knowledge that it once did.

Ribkid best kid.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Rocket propelled hobo rocket propeller:

From: http://forums.somethingawful.com//showthread.php?s=7c15178d4cc8f3e10f33a45f1c1cc27c&threadid=2472116

Frilled Lizard
May 22, 2004

WOOF WOOF WOOF
YOU KNOW IT

Biggie Shorty posted:

I'm not sure if The Pizza Matrix or the JudoHobo would be funny to goons today, but back then it was the funniest poo poo ever.

Ha, I just dug up my copies of Pizza Matrix and Judohobo compilation videos the other day. Oh, and Captain America Star Wars. The Captain America renderings still creep me out.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

COME BACK SKEWLOOSE!!

I remember I had just gotten "I SEE INVISIBLE DUMPTRUCKS" before Lowtax put in the avatar buying thing.
I do miss the excellent Photoshop Fridays and invasions. The Sony Dating Game invasion was probably the funniest thing I'd ever seen. I'd been reading it at work and was laughing too hard to describe it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lobok posted:

I joined during the Zidane thread, and it was just so amazing watching all the submissions come in. I couldn't believe that one message board could contain so much talent. Before registering I had never given any thought to where funny poo poo on the Internet actually came from.

Every so often I click a Cracked.com "photoplasty" update and goons are still among the best funny photoshoppers on the web.

HlTLER
Dec 18, 2011

by T. Fine

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

There also used to be a lot more ban-me threads. The last one I can remember is the guy jizzing on his keyboard shavings and then eating them. I do miss the threads where we could see the rantings of someone who had gone insane.

I'm still kicking around.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I remember getting probated for making fun of goons for talking about their fake internet dress-up doll personae in a gaia online thread and thinking this place isn't what it used to be

Bexx
Sep 26, 2002

Pedrophile posted:

I know the story behind :gooncamp:

Also it turns out Jon Stewart is a goon.

I heard :gooncamp: happening. I turned and saw the shadows and realized it wasn't something I wanted to see.

Also I remember when Mayor Wilkins was Sorata. And Pelee, oh those pictures are forever burned into my mind. And GoonCons, those used to be a blast.

The forums are a completely different place now. A lot of the oldtimers wandered off. I met a lot of them at meets and they were all cool cats. Or maybe they are all just in a nursing home now without internet. Who can say?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
I remember the days of rampant poo poo and piss related threads too. There were so many that almost every thread would end up in stories of horrible bathroom-related incidents. Then the mods declared poo poo & piss-related humor to be a bannable offense for a while.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Did SA spawn YTMND?

And what did bigpeeler do to become so hated by goons? I remember that he was considered a GBS Superstar back when he was MSPainting pictures of him working at the zoo and whatnot.

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002
Things basically went downhill shortly after Airdisc started posting.

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW

The Third Man posted:

I remember getting probated for making fun of goons for talking about their fake internet dress-up doll personae in a gaia online thread and thinking this place isn't what it used to be

These days, even "Scientologists(their ads, anyways)and furries(don't get me started)" seem to be off limits....

Mr. Bonky
Jan 28, 2001
To see SA in its golden years was magnificent, though it had some growing pains to get through before being the stable, awesome resource it is now. It seems like it should get more recognition for being such an awesome site, but I don't mind being an internet hipster, knowing full well that most of the internet humor you find these days originates from here.

I'd say that I'm proud, but you guys would call me a douchenipple and tell me to go gently caress myself.

Logtar
Sep 15, 2008

by T. Fine

Bexx posted:

I heard :gooncamp: happening. I turned and saw the shadows and realized it wasn't something I wanted to see.

Could you explain this one? Did a bunch of goons go out camping and two of them just couldn't keep from screwing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Sheen Sheen posted:

Did SA spawn YTMND?

And what did bigpeeler do to become so hated by goons? I remember that he was considered a GBS Superstar back when he was MSPainting pictures of him working at the zoo and whatnot.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=27436 He is possibly one of the worst attention whores ever on the forums, with only that chick who impersonated like 3 people topping him.