Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Is it a joke, or is it a "watch in real time as a man makes a terrible life decision"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Rabbit Hill posted:

Is it a joke, or is it a "watch in real time as a man makes a terrible life decision"?

I took it as. "If I keep mentioning it she'll keep cleaning".

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

The Modern Leper posted:

Basically the kinda joke you would hear on the street . . . the jokes your funny friend tells. It's used to denigrate "easy laugh" jokes that don't come from a particular voice or personality.

EDIT: Think Jackie Martling.

Specifically, It's a joke you could find word-for-word on a "100 jokes" website. Those jokes who nobody knows who wrote them but everyone tells each other.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
She's super cute. I'd give her a baby. :mmmhmm:

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011
The Kevin Smith episode is terrible.
The end with all the talk about "haters" was some masturbatort bullshit.

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
I just listened to the Bob Golub episode, and man alive, it sounds crazy. I need to watch GoodFellas again. There are much smarter ways to break into acting. It's one of those episodes you don't think is going to be awesome, but actually is.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I liked his episode, the people with the crazy pasts are always entertaining. I'm thinking of buying some episodes because I want to support marc. I already bought russell brand, what other ones are worth shelling out for?

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Nawid posted:

The Kevin Smith episode is terrible.
The end with all the talk about "haters" was some masturbatort bullshit.

Isn't that what most of SMODcast has become too? Kevin Smith has become so insulated that he'll never hear a negative word anymore without incorporating it into his next feature film.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I love Andy Daly, but his episode might be in the top 5 most boring episodes ever.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Cast No Engine posted:

I love Andy Daly, but his episode might be in the top 5 most boring episodes ever.

Marc making fun of him had me laughing by myself over and over as Marc insulted him and Andy laughed unable to defend himself

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I enjoyed that one, Andy Daly had some troubles but is a pretty normal guy that's just talented. I guess it may not make a dramatic pod, but having someone who isn't a walking disaster is nice every once in a while, too.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

synertia posted:

I enjoyed that one, Andy Daly had some troubles but is a pretty normal guy that's just talented. I guess it may not make a dramatic pod, but having someone who isn't a walking disaster is nice every once in a while, too.

Yeah, Andy Daly reminds me of the character he plays on Reno 911, the one that shoots himself in the head.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Nate Bargatze episode is excellent. Really funny guy, you could tell marc genuinely enjoyed talking to him. I'd never heard of him before but will look him up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The sound of Maron slurping coffee and yelling "pow!" might be the worst noise I have ever heard in my life. I usually throw my headphones off in disgust just as I start to hear him slurp. loving disgusting. I also imagine him having really terrible breath.

I have been listening for a few months now and I am enjoying the show quite a bit despite the active dislike of Marc Maron I have developed. He's just such a bitter, self involved, unfunny oval office that I have a really hard time finding anything endearing about him. I guess it's his cuntishness that makes a bunch of the interviews entertaining though. He has no problems with asking totally inappropriate questions and sometimes it makes for a really good interview.

At times he takes it way too far though. Hearing him prod "Weird Al" about his parents dying when he clearly didn't want to talk about it made me cringe.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 12, 2012

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

NESguerilla posted:

The sound of Maron slurping coffee and yelling "pow!" might be the worst noise I have ever heard in my life. I usually throw my headphones off in disgust just as I start to hear him slurp. loving disgusting. I also imagine him having really terrible breath.

I have been listening for a few months now and I am enjoying the show quite a bit despite the active dislike of Marc Maron I have developed. He's just such a bitter, self involved, unfunny oval office that I have a really hard time finding anything endearing about him. I guess it's his cuntishness that makes a bunch of the interviews entertaining though. He has no problems with asking totally inappropriate questions and sometimes it makes for a really good interview.

At times he takes it way too far though. Hearing him prod "Weird Al" about his parents dying when he clearly didn't want to talk about it made me cringe.

Hahah I feel exactly the same way. He knows funny people and has been around the block for a long time but the guy is an rear end in a top hat and not very funny. The armchair psychoanalysis is brutal to listen to. WTF episodes are usually like 20 minutes long for me because I skip the stupid rear end monologue intro and try to find parts where Maron isnt talking too much and then skip the end if he starts talking again

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I can understand not liking Maron, but it seems strange to me to enjoy the show if you don't like him.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I only listen if I like the guest. Yeah I skip the monologue.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

But I mean the interviews are basically all about himself too

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

inferis posted:

But I mean the interviews are basically all about himself too

"Aren't you miserable? I'm miserable. My Girlfriend is crazy and I hate her. I love her so much. New comedy is terrible huh? This has been WTF with Marc Maron"

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

inferis posted:

I can understand not liking Maron, but it seems strange to me to enjoy the show if you don't like him.

You should check out the Carolla thread

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
That is what makes them interesting though. It's not all just "HEY GUYYSSS" *jazz hands* like 99% of other interviewers.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

inferis posted:

Do you like the most interesting character from your favorite movie? Maybe, maybe not. It's fun to check out challenging media. Maron is hard to ignore in part because he is an rear end in a top hat in ways that we all secretly are. I'm pretty sure Freud said we all have an id, ego, maron, and superego, and the maron is usually the most suppressed.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

inferis posted:

It's like that old story that people who hate Howard Stern listen to him twice as much as those who like him. I don't know, maybe it's a myth.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Gee wiz guys I don't think Marc's that big of an rear end in a top hat and he always makes me laugh and I can Relate To some of his neuroses. I actually liked his show better when he was doing worse which probably makes me some kind of bad mental health voyeur :(

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Bundt Cake posted:

Gee wiz guys I don't think Marc's that big of an rear end in a top hat and he always makes me laugh and I can Relate To some of his neuroses. I actually liked his show better when he was doing worse which probably makes me some kind of bad mental health voyeur :(

I like him.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Bundt Cake posted:

I was kind of bored with his comedy album and never finished it, but I think he is very good at these long-term interviews and injects himself much less than most. Maron does pretty good at letting people talk and prodding them for interesting details. I do like his Adam & Eve shilling because it sounds so clinical and creepy when he's talking about it.

Quicksand_Jesus
Dec 19, 2005

Lasagna Miracle
I'm amazed the hate Maron gets for him interjecting. If anything, I actually think he's a good interviewer, he asks questions, tends to let people talk, and adds his thoughts. It's a conversation--not an interview.

If you want an interviewer that interjects and gives his lovely opinions more than letting the guest talk, move over to Adam Carolla...

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Marc has the funnest fans.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Yea he shits up my twitter feed getting into falme wars

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Do other comics have a legitimate beef with Marc Maron or is it just comic to comic joking around?

In regards with the occasional negative mention on other podcasts like Todd Glass, Comedy Bang Bang and Doug Loves Movies.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Yea he shits up my twitter feed getting into falme wars

But you would only see one of those tweets unless you also followed the guy flaming him?

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams

Zsinjeh posted:

Do other comics have a legitimate beef with Marc Maron or is it just comic to comic joking around?

Jon Stewart definitely still dislikes him, as evidenced by his refusal to come onto the show.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Zsinjeh posted:

In regards with the occasional negative mention on other podcasts like Todd Glass, Comedy Bang Bang and Doug Loves Movies.

I think he's more seen as an old angry man of a punchline.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

jyrka posted:

I think he's more seen as an old angry man of a punchline.

OH Marc marON!

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

But you would only see one of those tweets unless you also followed the guy flaming him?

yea but he constantly gets into flamewars. anything can rile the dude up.

picosecond
Dec 9, 2006

one millionth of one millionth of a second

Zsinjeh posted:

Dude was an alcoholic narcissist and drug abuser for over a decade, that tends to make you a lot of enemies. He started the podcast because even though he was a fairly well-known comedian and broadcaster, he'd burned so many bridges over the years that he just could not find work anywhere.

I think that's part of what makes Maron so interesting -- he seems like he should have been found dead in an alley somewhere by now. Instead, he's spent the last few years climbing out of the hole he dug, slowly picking up the pieces of his life while carving out a niche for himself. It's weirdly inspiring.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Zsinjeh posted:

It's mostly joking around now, but yea he pissed off a lot of people before he got sober and stuff. A lot of the early episodes involve him apologizing and burying the hatchet with his guest.

"So, are we cool now?"

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

picosecond posted:

Dude was an alcoholic narcissist and drug abuser for over a decade, that tends to make you a lot of enemies. He started the podcast because even though he was a fairly well-known comedian and broadcaster, he'd burned so many bridges over the years that he just could not find work anywhere.

I think that's part of what makes Maron so interesting -- he seems like he should have been found dead in an alley somewhere by now. Instead, he's spent the last few years climbing out of the hole he dug, slowly picking up the pieces of his life while carving out a niche for himself. It's weirdly inspiring.

This, but I'd also add that since he was an rear end in a top hat for so many years, he still has a lot of rear end in a top hat tendencies. You can't change your whole personality overnight. So while I believe he's sincere about trying to make a positive change in his life, and he's making an honest effort to be a better person, he still has a lot of those rear end in a top hat habits that can make him come off as a dick from time to time. I suspect it makes him irritating as hell to comics who remember his past and aren't inclined to feel all that charitable towards him.

I get the same feeling listening to Jay Mohr's podcast.

And if it makes Bundt Cake feel better, I do like Marc Maron (and Jay Mohr).

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

yea but he constantly gets into flamewars. anything can rile the dude up.

I saw him and Gaffigan get into a little argument on Twitter because of cats. By how few comedians I follow (Basically these 2) I was thinking he must be pretty quick on the Tweet war trigger. It was about cats, I must say again. Mark insulted his being a family man or something and Jim basically tweeted "Are you serious? I was just joking around."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
That Mike Doughty interview was kind of a shocker for me. I know him as the guy who made those Soul Coughing records I liked in high school followed by making some decent pop albums now. Apparently he hated every moment of being in that band and the people he was working with but did it to escape his terrible youth, followed by being an addict.

• Locked thread