Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

obstipator posted:

Anyone having issues with newtabs in chrome on mac? at work i got auto updated to v37 and just a few mins after a restart, opening new tabs become ridiculously unresponsive--over a minute of hanging for each new tab. existing tabs and tabs that have completed hanging work fine after that. I installed other poo poo on this comp today but im going crazy trying to figure out if its something I did or just another buggy stable release.

It could be both, but it's been an issue in stable for a while (2-3mo). I've had local PDFs hang for 10 minutes w/o extensions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Been having a lot of issues with Chrome lately. It seems to want to crash at random, which I am thinking is related to the fact it never finish 'loading' a page, since the little spinning circle is always running even when there is nothing left to load. Also had issues with some sites just refusing to work until I erase their cookies like Club Nintendo and Marvel. Also this probably was related to some hijack poo poo, but randomly lost all my extensions and had some spyware one instead, but thankfully my laptop wasn't effected so I just copied the default folder over to restore them.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Chrome 38 just dropped and all the rendering problems are back :psyduck:

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Hey has anyone ever noticed this problem?

I am signed into chrome using my google apps account, and when I try to sign in to youtube using my old gmail account, I just get redirected to the admin panel for my apps account. Basically I can't sign in to youtube with a different google account than the one signed into chrome. Is that a bug or what? It sucks.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

fuf posted:

Hey has anyone ever noticed this problem?

I am signed into chrome using my google apps account, and when I try to sign in to youtube using my old gmail account, I just get redirected to the admin panel for my apps account. Basically I can't sign in to youtube with a different google account than the one signed into chrome. Is that a bug or what? It sucks.

Everything about Google and using multiple accounts sucks. I hate it.

That being said, you can use the profiles thing they've got now (the drop down up in the title bar) to do different accounts in different Chrome windows. It works well except you can't have tabs for different accounts in the same window.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Thermopyle posted:

Everything about Google and using multiple accounts sucks. I hate it.

That being said, you can use the profiles thing they've got now (the drop down up in the title bar) to do different accounts in different Chrome windows. It works well except you can't have tabs for different accounts in the same window.

Nice, that's good enough. Thanks Thermopyle you have helped me in multiple threads today :v:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

fuf posted:

Nice, that's good enough. Thanks Thermopyle you have helped me in multiple threads today :v:

Sometimes the stars align and I know multiple things that someone else wants to know. :D

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Did the hangouts extension just stop working for anyone else? My contact list is blank, restarts/force-quits does not fix it. I'm wondering if it's related to the new profile manager thing.

Alternatively, is there a good standalone chat client that supports hangouts? I used pidgin for a while but it's clunky as hell and doesn't support as many features as the google client.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
The Hangouts extension had been replaced with a Hangouts Chrome app today, might explain it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is there a way to make the new app hide in the system tray? I don't really need it up on my screen all of the time. I figured out how to make it not always on top, but it still bothers me.

The old app is still working for me, FWIW.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT

Rusty! posted:

The Hangouts extension had been replaced with a Hangouts Chrome app today, might explain it.

Whoa thank you. Installed that and it's working, now to figure out how to make the chrome apps stuff less intrusive.

e: holy poo poo this is annoying, how do I get rid of the floating bubble and get it out of my taskbar? (just noticed the above poster asked the same thing but yeah, sucks)

Scrambles fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 10, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Just came across this sweet extension called Imgur to Gfycat. It replaces all imgur-hosted gifs, with gfycat hosted versions. If no one with the extension has seen the link, then it just displays the imgur gif, but it sends it to gfycat so all subsequent views for you and everyone else comes from gfycat.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Thermopyle posted:

Just came across this sweet extension called Imgur to Gfycat. It replaces all imgur-hosted gifs, with gfycat hosted versions. If no one with the extension has seen the link, then it just displays the imgur gif, but it sends it to gfycat so all subsequent views for you and everyone else comes from gfycat.

Isn't this roughly the worst possible time for such an extension, since imgur just started converting all gifs to their new homespun mp4 based format?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kaizoku posted:

Isn't this roughly the worst possible time for such an extension, since imgur just started converting all gifs to their new homespun mp4 based format?

Gfycat uses WebMs and mp4s while imgur is only using mp4s - and imgur will only do the mp4s if people are specifically linking the gifv version, if I'm reading right.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

flatluigi posted:

Gfycat uses WebMs and mp4s while imgur is only using mp4s - and imgur will only do the mp4s if people are specifically linking the gifv version, if I'm reading right.

That's fair. On further thought, it sounds like they're only embedding them on a few sites and in all others/downloads serving a straight mp4 vid?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Scrambles posted:

I'm wondering if it's related to the new profile manager thing.

Profile manager in Chrome? What version has this and is it enabled by default?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there some way to force chrome to translate from a specified language instead of the one it autodetects? It seems to think pretty much any page with CJK characters is in Chinese even when there's a bunch of kana or hangul around. A quick googling only turns up stuff for webmasters and not chrome users.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Oct 11, 2014

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

dis astranagant posted:

Is there some way to force chrome to translate from a specified language instead of the one it autodetects? It seems to think pretty much any page with CJK characters is in Chinese even when there's a bunch of kana or hangul around. A quick googling only turns up stuff for webmasters and not chrome users.

Right click page, select Translate to English. Then click options and choose the language you want to translate from.

Goldberg
May 11, 2003

lol grim

obstipator posted:

Anyone having issues with newtabs in chrome on mac? at work i got auto updated to v37 and just a few mins after a restart, opening new tabs become ridiculously unresponsive--over a minute of hanging for each new tab. existing tabs and tabs that have completed hanging work fine after that. I installed other poo poo on this comp today but im going crazy trying to figure out if its something I did or just another buggy stable release.

My girlfriend is having the exact same problem on her brand new laptop (windows 8.1). She is overseas so I can't hands-on it, but my first thought was going to be the craptastic Mcafee bullshit thats installed on there.

But reading this now, maybe its just something that chrome has hosed up?

Her laptop has a 5400 rpm drive I think, but no way that would cause new tabs to hang for 5 - 10 seconds.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Goldberg posted:

My girlfriend is having the exact same problem on her brand new laptop (windows 8.1). She is overseas so I can't hands-on it, but my first thought was going to be the craptastic Mcafee bullshit thats installed on there.

But reading this now, maybe its just something that chrome has hosed up?

Her laptop has a 5400 rpm drive I think, but no way that would cause new tabs to hang for 5 - 10 seconds.

I had Mcafee on there that my work installed on it along with some other junk. After getting rid of those, fully uninstalling chrome (including bookmarks, cookies, passwords, extensions, etc), and reinstalling, everything seemed to be in working order again. I sometimes get spikes to 100% CPU on Chrome from things that shouldn't cause spikes, but for the most part everything is much better.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I switched over to Chromium after the above issue with Chrome wouldn't stop, but I have a minor problem with it. Even through in Windows Chromium is now set as the default browser, in Chromium it still says that isn't the default browser. This is true because when I tried to open a url in a chat, it kept opening Internet Explorer instead.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Not strictly a Chrome question, but close enough.

Does anyone know if Google's App-Specific passwords will expire when you reset the main password on an account?

I manage a bunch of users in Google Apps and every now and then someone needs to reset their password, which isn't a big deal in and of itself, but it also means that I now have to reconfigure their phone, tablet and computer (some of which have multiple apps that also log in to Google, like Chrome). Bonus points if they're travelling when it happens.

I was hoping that if I started using app-specific passwords for (almost) everything, resetting the main password wouldn't be a big deal anymore as all other apps would still continue working normally. Worst case scenario, a device gets stolen and I have to take 2 extra minutes to reset all the app specific passwords for that device.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I've been having a few issues with chrome since I reinstalled windows a week ago.

I can't open stuff from my downloads directly, chrome is installed on C (ssd) because it wouldn't let me put it on A, my HDD. My downloads are on A though. If i want to open a download, I have to go to the downloads page and click show in folder. I'm also having an issue with google maps where it won't load correctly:

I also can't go to this site: http://www.probuilds.net/ without the tab crashing.

Disabling extensions doesn't seem to fix any of these issues. Any ideas?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a extension or way to hide the user name dropdown box that up next to the close button? It's so annoying to see it twice when I have a second tab opened under Chrome for tweetdeck.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Rirse posted:

Is there a extension or way to hide the user name dropdown box that up next to the close button? It's so annoying to see it twice when I have a second tab opened under Chrome for tweetdeck.

Disable chrome://flags/#enable-new-profile-management

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

hope and vaseline posted:

Disable chrome://flags/#enable-new-profile-management

Hooray that worked.

Also the reason Chrome kept crashing for me is because the virus I accidentally got hit by somehow was still alive in Chrome after I erased it from the rest of the PC, I started to notice every time it 'crash' it really was installing a virus extension. Completely erasing the Chrome folder got rid of that finally.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm having a really annoying issue - Twitter doesn't load correctly in Chrome off and on, frequently just leaving me with a 'page is missing' error. Clearing my cookies usually fixes it (for a little while). Any solutions?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I can finally fullscreen embedded videos again! :toot:

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Does anyone know if Google's App-Specific passwords will expire when you reset the main password on an account?

They do not. They're only revoked through the App-Specific passwords page in your security profile.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Do NOT install the Google Bookmark Manager thing, you cannot uninstall it and it's just really buggy and lovely.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I just had a play around and it seemed fine to me. I dont spend too much time in my bookmarks so I dont quite see the use

Uninstalled fine too?

e: on 39.0.2171.42 beta-m (64-bit)

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Does Google's new Inbox use memory like crazy for anyone else? It regularly hits 600mb and I've seen it up as high as 1gb.

I know that it's new and it might have memory leaks, but it doesn't happen in my Work PC (Windows 7), just at home (Windows 8.1).

Kreczor
Oct 30, 2011

I'd still rather play with medieval knights online then go outside and "hang out".

ThermoPhysical posted:

Do NOT install the Google Bookmark Manager thing, you cannot uninstall it and it's just really buggy and lovely.

Was able to fix this issue by following the instructions in the top reddit comment found here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/chrome/comments/2l8zox/how_do_i_uninstall_googles_bookmark_manager/
"I had the same problem when I decided I didn't like it. Here's the fix: You need to go to chrome://flags/#enhanced-bookmarks-experiment and set it to disabled. That will give you back the old bookmarks manager and return the new extension to your extensions list.
After you set the it to disabled you have to press the "Relaunch Now" button to apply the effects. The bookmarks button won't go away, but you can just move that into the Other Bookmarks folder to get it off you toolbar."
You can, at this point, just right click and delete the "Bookmark Manager" button.

Kreczor fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 7, 2014

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there a way to block only the most annoying ads? I currently use Adblock Plus with Chrome but I'm becoming more and more aware that it's not good to block all ads from an ethical point of view.

I know you can add exceptions (such as I have for SA) but that seems like a really long and annoying process to do for heaps of sites. Also that means it's either all or nothing for the site.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Red_Fred posted:

Is there a way to block only the most annoying ads?

Not really. Most sites use a third party like Google to handle their ads, and standards are typically very low. Also, ads are typically the way you get viruses provided you don't open random attachments in e-mails. Buy something from the site if you feel bad.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Is there a way to block only the most annoying ads? I currently use Adblock Plus with Chrome but I'm becoming more and more aware that it's not good to block all ads from an ethical point of view.

I know you can add exceptions (such as I have for SA) but that seems like a really long and annoying process to do for heaps of sites. Also that means it's either all or nothing for the site.

You could try uBlock, I've had better success with that plugin and it's a lower footprint as well.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Red_Fred posted:

With Adblock (which is different from Adblock Plus) it is two clicks to whitelist a page or a domain.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Anyone compared the various ad blocking options recently? I've been using HTTP Switchboard since it was posted in this thread awhile back, but I'm always looking for something new because I'm a glutton for problems.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
If you want just an ad blocker, uBlock is the way to go. If you want something more comprehensive, you can't beat httpswitchboard. They're both by the same dude. He knows what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

Youtube not working, just getting a black box where the video should be?

Disable magic actions, refresh the youtube page, go back to default view (rectangle button in the lower right corner of the video, next to full screen), then you can re-enable the magic actions extension again.