Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've (temporarily) come back to Chrome for a bit. Last time I used it, there wasn't a way to get a bookmarks button a la Firefox without seeming to require too many permissions. Does anyone have any reasoning for why an extension that modifies the bookmark menu would need to e.g. read everything on the page or have access to my history? Or know of an extension that doesn't need permissions beyond "read and change your bookmarks"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Cabbit posted:

This started happening for me when I went to Chrome 45. uBlock Origin is not stopping pre-roll ads at all, which is really annoying when they're up to three goddamn minutes long and unskippable.

Good lord! How do normal people manage to use YouTube and not go mad?

shiftless
May 18, 2005

At that point, just download the FLV file from YouTube and watch it that way.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Cabbit posted:

This started happening for me when I went to Chrome 45. uBlock Origin is not stopping pre-roll ads at all, which is really annoying when they're up to three goddamn minutes long and unskippable.

Post a video that you getting these ads on. Because I'm on Version 45.0.2454.85 m (64-bit) with uBlock Origin and I've still never seen any ads on youtube.

The other extensions I have that would effect YouTube are ghostery and h264ify.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i have not seen any ads so far on the last chrome with ublock origin.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Bioalchemist posted:

Post a video that you getting these ads on. Because I'm on Version 45.0.2454.85 m (64-bit) with uBlock Origin and I've still never seen any ads on youtube.

The other extensions I have that would effect YouTube are ghostery and h264ify.

Here's one.

Edit: The ads that seem to be cropping up link to other videos on YouTube, from corporate accounts. This is the actual ad that rolled before that video.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 6, 2015

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Cabbit posted:

Here's one.

Edit: The ads that seem to be cropping up link to other videos on YouTube, from corporate accounts. This is the actual ad that rolled before that video.

Using this uBlock, I get no ads there.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
i get no ads on that video with ublock origin

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Never seen any ads on YT while using Adblock Plus.

even on that link that was just posted.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I've (temporarily) come back to Chrome for a bit. Last time I used it, there wasn't a way to get a bookmarks button a la Firefox without seeming to require too many permissions. Does anyone have any reasoning for why an extension that modifies the bookmark menu would need to e.g. read everything on the page or have access to my history? Or know of an extension that doesn't need permissions beyond "read and change your bookmarks"?

In addition to this, I've noticed that YouTube embeds on Google+ are quite a bit smaller than they should be; that is, a phone's screen recording only takes up about half of my screen's 900-pixel height.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Thermopyle posted:

Using this uBlock, I get no ads there.

I'll give that one a try, thanks.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Are you allowing the extension to work in incognito mode? Because I'd never seen any ad blocker fail to miss them and I've run the gamut through the range of blocks u and ad

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

hooah posted:

I use Neater Bookmarks which works fine, and the author has this to say about permissions:
  • "Access your data on all websites": used so bookmarklets can work properly
  • "Read and modify your bookmarks": obviously
  • "Access your tabs and browsing activity": not used at all (???)
So there you go?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Good lord! How do normal people manage to use YouTube and not go mad?

I also got this, but then after using youtube with no blocker the skip ad button is always there and you only need to watch a maximum 5 seconds or so of the ad. So what's actually happening is that the blocker is partially functioning, and it's blocking... the skip button.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

I just found this reddit post about youtube ads in google chrome with adblock.

quote:

As the article states, uninstall the YouTube app within Chrome

enter 'chrome://apps' into the address bar
right click on the YouTube app
remove from chrome
done

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Pivit posted:

I just found this reddit post about youtube ads in google chrome with adblock.

Hey awesome, that worked!

Masa
Jun 20, 2003
Generic Newbie
Are there any extensions that copy the way Firefox handles showing your open tabs? It's annoying to have tabs shrink down to just show the favicon when I have too many of them open, I prefer Firefox's horizontal scrolling through tabs plus the dropdown that shows them all.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Am I the only one that gets a non-responsive browser whenever its run snapped to a half the screen? I've tested my extensions, no problem there. I'm only using no autosrcoll, modified tab order and ublock origin anyway. I'm running windows 10 64 bit, and I think chrome is the standard web-installed 32 bit version.

If i grab the window and pull it down even a single pixel everything works fine again. I ask only to see if its likely to ever be fixed on Google's end.

edit: Same problem with 64 bit chrome.

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 9, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Someone posted about this in the windows thread, so no you're not the only one

Using the win key plus arrows works apparently

I'm using chrome beta 64 and don't appear to have the problem any more

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

shadow puppet of a posted:

Am I the only one that gets a non-responsive browser whenever its run snapped to a half the screen? I've tested my extensions, no problem there. I'm only using no autosrcoll, modified tab order and ublock origin anyway. I'm running windows 10 64 bit, and I think chrome is the standard web-installed 32 bit version.

If i grab the window and pull it down even a single pixel everything works fine again. I ask only to see if its likely to ever be fixed on Google's end.

Presents on all platforms, it's loving hilarious how broken they'll ship these days. Makes using a stock chromebook an exercise in frustration.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If your ublock has an easylist file that's over 24 hours old, don't update for a while; because someone went and added a very generic rule that's blocking actual content from places like MLB, Yelp (the actual star rating images), etc.

The community that runs that list is in an uproar, so it'll probably get fixed in 48 hours or so.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
This is probably a stupid question and probably can't be done, but I've tried googling it but I'm not quite savvy enough to work out what to google it seems.

I'm trying to sidestep the DNS block at work because I'm a bad employee, but they've got two different DNS servers set up in the system settings so I'm kind of wary to change those(unless there's no actual danger to changing them? I do have admin access to my work computer). Is there a way to set up chrome (or another browser) to use the google public DNS without changing the system ones?

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Halman posted:

This is probably a stupid question and probably can't be done, but I've tried googling it but I'm not quite savvy enough to work out what to google it seems.

I'm trying to sidestep the DNS block at work because I'm a bad employee, but they've got two different DNS servers set up in the system settings so I'm kind of wary to change those(unless there's no actual danger to changing them? I do have admin access to my work computer). Is there a way to set up chrome (or another browser) to use the google public DNS without changing the system ones?

No. And any competent company is going to block your DNS requests at the firewall and force you to use theirs.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm getting a poo poo ton of "Aw snap!" errors lately. Seems maybe related to Adblock Origin, but I can 't go long enough on the internet without blocking ads to find out.

I probably just need to flatten/reinstall Win10 entirely because of strange slowdowns and disk write activities from time to time (and no, Defender and MalwareBytes turn up nothing); so it's not too big of a deal, but yeesh.

Edit: My RAM is dying. Yay!

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 15, 2015

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Does anyone know of an extension that gives mouse wheel control of the volume on YouTube? I've used "YouTube Mouse Controls" for a while, but it's really wonky and unstable.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Pilsner posted:

Does anyone know of an extension that gives mouse wheel control of the volume on YouTube? I've used "YouTube Mouse Controls" for a while, but it's really wonky and unstable.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/magic-actions-for-youtube/abjcfabbhafbcdfjoecdgepllmpfceif

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I should have added "except Magic Actions", because I have bad experience with that addon - it just messes up way too often. It also seems borderline malware and scummy. Just look at this poo poo after installing:

I guess I can give it another shot.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 18, 2015

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Craptacular! posted:

I'm getting a poo poo ton of "Aw snap!" errors lately. Seems maybe related to Adblock Origin, but I can 't go long enough on the internet without blocking ads to find out.

I probably just need to flatten/reinstall Win10 entirely because of strange slowdowns and disk write activities from time to time (and no, Defender and MalwareBytes turn up nothing); so it's not too big of a deal, but yeesh.

My husband's Chrome has thrown nothing but "Aw snap!" errors at him since we got home a few minutes ago, so I'm wondering if it's something in a recent update. He tried to upgrade to Win10, but it didn't succeed so he's still on Win7 :shrug: he uses uBlock Origins, fwiw.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Craptacular! posted:

Several people in this thread, myself included, has that problem with adblock. Try switching to ublock.

Edit, I didn't see your edit.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

shadow puppet of a posted:

maybe... ahaha... you got... pfffhdfhfhaha THE WRONG KIND OF RAM LOOOOOOOOL

[q3aHOLYSHIT.WAV]

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ArfJason posted:

maybe... ahaha... you got... pfffhdfhfhaha THE WRONG KIND OF RAM LOOOOOOOOL

[q3aHOLYSHIT.WAV]

Anroid.

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

mysteriously my husband's version of Chrome has started working again. ok google. :iiam:

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

why does chrome notifications keep displaying AMD stock info??

I have never given a poo poo about AMD stocks or any stocks in general

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

why does chrome notifications keep displaying AMD stock info??

I have never given a poo poo about AMD stocks or any stocks in general
Have you ever googled AMD? AMD also happens to be the name of the stock, so maybe google thinks you are looking it up.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

eSporks posted:

Have you ever googled AMD? AMD also happens to be the name of the stock, so maybe google thinks you are looking it up.

Yeah, I didn't google 'chrome notifications amd' to try and figure out what the gently caress!

but no other than not in the last year or two

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

eSporks posted:

This behavior has got me opening up a lot of incognito windows lately. No Google, I clicked a blind youtube link once that doesn't mean I want to know all about all about Gungam Style parodies. No Google, I looked up 'redskins derogatory word' once that doesn't mean I give a poo poo about football.

:cry: first world problems :cry:

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

It's a mixed bag for me because sometimes Google does have some great suggestions, or relevant auto fill searches.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm still surprised by how well things like local results work. And the fact that my random dumb-rear end query returns results in under half a second. I can't even begin to fathom how that works.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I have to turn my VPN off to play video games, and I have been forgetting to turn it back on afterwards. Can anybody think of an extension that will let me set a condition that stops me surfing with chrome until I've switched it back on? :australia:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Is there a way to go straight to the new tab page from a currently existing tab?

For example, I've got SomethingAwful open in a tab. Currently, if I'm done with SA, and want to go to new tab page, I close SA tab and open a new tab. It would be nice to have just one action to replace current tab with new tab page which has links to my most used sites right on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I have to turn my VPN off to play video games, and I have been forgetting to turn it back on afterwards. Can anybody think of an extension that will let me set a condition that stops me surfing with chrome until I've switched it back on? :australia:

Not exactly what you're looking for but if you only use VPN for web browsing Tunnelbear comes with a browser extension that allows you to VPN only your browser's activity