Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Is there a way to block only the most annoying ads? I currently use Adblock Plus with Chrome but I'm becoming more and more aware that it's not good to block all ads from an ethical point of view.

I know you can add exceptions (such as I have for SA) but that seems like a really long and annoying process to do for heaps of sites. Also that means it's either all or nothing for the site.

You could try uBlock, I've had better success with that plugin and it's a lower footprint as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

eSporks posted:

Do Chromebooks have a built in firewall and can you edit it?

The most recent update made it so I can't connect to IRC on any of the normal 6660-6670 ports. Works fine on syn ircs's port 80 server.

All other computers on the house work fine, so its not the network.

You have to open a crosh to do so and in order to do that you have to be in developer mode.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

eSporks posted:

You can open crosh without dev mode.
I'm not seeing any related commands when I type help, and my googling is not turning up anything. Googling for chromeos related problems is very frustrating, you just get tons of windows chrome browser related results, or newbie guides to chromebooks.

Here is what I would have to put in to open ports for videostream to work on my chromebook:

ChromeOS doesn't allow servers to open up ports in the firewall. So even though Videostream works in your browser, it can't send the video file to the Chromecast. You have to do tab-casting.
edit:
I should note. We CAN run in ChromeOS ONLY If you run in Dev mode. That way you can manually open up the TCP ports! I got a nice snazzy command for you to run.
Dev mode enabled:
Run Crosh:
Run Shell:
Type: sudo /sbin/iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 5556 -j ACCEPT