Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'll just say that I've been running dev since basically the begining, and other than a week where I couldn't load my ticketing system at work (RT) I've had no major problems.

Chromium is what's not for end users, dev just kind of lives in between that and beta, though closer to beta than Chromium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Anal Tributary posted:

What do you gain from running dev, though? And I remember the last thread being full of people on dev complaining about sites not rendering correctly, extensions breaking, etc.

These days I have no idea. When I first started dev was a bit more radical than beta or release and everything moved a lot faster. I think beta or dev might have been the only build for Linux at the time as well, which was important to me because I was running on Linux.

At this point I don't have a good reason to be on dev, and now that I think about it there some weird issues here on the forums for a long time where text would have no color and I'd have to highlight it to read it, but there's never been anything that's made me yearn for the stability of the release channel.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

asdf32 posted:

My biggest problem with chrome is the god awful spell-check. Yes my spelling is terrible but constantly having to use google as a backup spell-checker for google's own browser when I can't come close enough to get chrome to even provide the right suggestions just doesn't make sense. I thought some day they would update it but now it's been years.

A million times this.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Yaos posted:

Here you go, provides an MSI and other information.
http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/chromebrowser.html

Cloudy Calculator is an extention I use all the time.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/acgimceffoceigocablmjdpebeodphgc
It includes it's own internal calculator but will also use Google and WolframAlpha.

So how does this work in regards to updating. The documentation seems better now than it was when they first introduced this, but I'm still not 100%. It says auto updates happen even if the user doesn't have admin. So does that mean I just push out the MSI with my management software of choice, and never worry about it again, because it will auto update itself?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Looks like my Dev is still on 18.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Amppelix posted:

Is it just me, or did beta 18 break the SA webkit fix so that now text lines up incorrectly with images, smilies, etc. again?

Yeah, I've been on Dev 18 for a while and it's been broken.

E: I guess Dev switched to 19, but still seeing the problem. But thank Christ I can finally ask Google for spelling suggestions.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's either your computer or you're running unstable builds and acting surprised when they crash.

I run unstable builds and am surprised that it never crashes.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

dpbjinc posted:

In case you're not following the QCS thread, there's a better extension to fix timgs and text alignment in Chrome. It apparently fixes timgs that users have incorrectly wrapped in URLs as well.

So it looks like this opens the image in a new tab, which is what it does in Firefox?

Anyway, I installed this extension a while ago, that shows full size images on mouse over on all sorts of places. It works on imgur, Facebook, Google+, and whole bunch of other places. If the image is too big for the screen, it just fills the screen instead of table breaking.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
For me it says "Always allowed." My guess is it has something to do with getting asked to run a plugin. I never get aksed for Flash, but whenever something tries to run Java, Chrome asks me to run this once, or always allow on this site. I bet if I checked the box for Java it would always just run it without asking me.

Not sure why Flash runs though, since the flash box isn't checked.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So, why in the gently caress does Chrome require admin to be made the default browser? I'm thinking of pushing it out at work, since they've made that so easy, but the one sticking point I have is setting it as the default browser.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What about a users default browser goes into the machine hive, and why can Firefox and IE do it without requiring admin? I don't want to force people to use Chrome, I want to give them the option to use chrome.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Karthe posted:

Is anyone else missing the link preview popup (in the lower-left-hand corner of the browser window) when they hover over a link? It used to show the URL of a link I had my mouse over but now it only shows up when a page is loading. I'm running the latest Dev release, version 20.0.1123.1 dev-m.

Mine is also gone. I want it back!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So a new TIMG problem appears. I disabled the extensions, and it worked for a few days, but now this:

When I expand a picture it does... that, and the blue button is all out of place.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Mak0rz posted:

This problem has been happening on-and-off all day to me too. I think one of the SA tech guys was in the middle of debugging it or something.

EDIT: Bonus picture! :haw:

We must go... deeper!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
timg has been broken for me since I upgrade to 20 (latest dev version). One of the photo zoom plugins I used also crashes instantly, so I had to find another one to do the job.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
And IE acts the same way as Chrome.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

kri kri posted:

Try stable? I don't get stuff earlier but I care more about not having poo poo randomly break for me.

Quoting this but not picking on you specifically.

I'm getting kind of tired of this holier than though attitude from a lot of people that assume that those of us running beta or dev are expecting a flawless experience. We're not. But this is a place to talk about Chrome. So if Chrome is being weird, I'll probably post about it here. Not because I'm upset at the developers for making it not work, but because I want to know if anybody else has had this problem and if so, if they were able to do anything about it.

If you want to run stable because you don't want to deal with this stuff, that's perfectly acceptable, just don't assume that we all have the same expectations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Well the attitude comes when you suggest people move to stable. Nobody is running dev or beta but isn't aware of stable, so I'm not sure what the point is in even bringing it up.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I used FB photo zoom or whatever once upon a time, and then I switched to another photo zoom app, and now I'm using two: Hover Zoom and Photo Zoom for Google+™, Facebook etc. Only one of them works on Facebook, and another works on SA, and both of them work on a lot of sites (Etsy, Wikipedia, IMDB, probably others). What do you all use for photo zooming?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Turns out the actual "problem" I had was that Photo Zoom would follow links to get the full High Res picture and Hover Zoom wouldn't, but there's a setting in Hover Zoom to do that, so all is well!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Chrome worked super well on an E-350 machine with the flash heavy NBC Olympics site, while IE choked and stuttered and Firefox wouldn't even load the videos. Not sure what to make out of all of that.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Montalvo posted:

Is anyone else still having issues with gif images not playing with the current dev build?

They don't work for me. As they're loading they work, but once they're loaded they stop. If I open the image in a new tab it will animate in the new tab and then also in the original page.

On the other hand, I'm really loving the new version page that opens as a tab instead of a pop up box that blocks all activity.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The new tab page also shows recently closed tabs, if that's helpful.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How can I switch from Dev to Stable on Windows? I'm getting tired of the stupid stuff like tabs freezing and gifs not working, and I think I'm just done with the bleeding edge.

Is it as simple as uninstalling Dev and installing Stable?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm continuing to see gif problems as well on stable, though they work more in stable than they did in dev.

Sometimes right or left clicking on them is enough to get them going, or scrolling away from them and scrolling back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Highlighting them works as well if clicking doesn't.