Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
God drat, the Chrome spellcheck function is inaccurate as gently caress. It flags "resellers" as being spelled incorrectly, along with some other common words that pass muster in a dictionary. What the hell list of words is it using to check spelling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Did you disable all the SA-related extensions?

The timg tag got fixed yesterday.
It seems to have only partially been fixed - I have to click the small blue "dimensions" box in order to expand or collapse a timg. I used to be able to click on the image itself to do this.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is anyone else missing the link preview popup (in the lower-left-hand corner of the browser window) when they hover over a link? It used to show the URL of a link I had my mouse over but now it only shows up when a page is loading. I'm running the latest Dev release, version 20.0.1123.1 dev-m.

Edit: Oh hey, someone else reported the same issue

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 2, 2012

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Who's on Dev, who's on Beta, and who's stuck it out with Stable? I've been on Dev since Chrome came out in 2008 but have considered switching to Beta or even Stable now that a lot of Dev features have made it to Stable. I'm also getting annoyed when a new Dev release comes out and breaks something fundamental like tooltips or URL previes.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

flatluigi posted:

This just happened to my sibling's Chrome theme (the white on the left and right of the middle bar). Is there an easy way to fix this?
Check what version of Chrome they're running. That graphical glitch appeared for me in the recent Dev 21.0.1145.0 update, so there's a good chance they're running the same.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Until this morning Chrome Beta was working fine. Now, when I try to visit any Google-related site or Facebook, I get:

quote:

Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): The connection was reset.
Is anyone else having this issue? What's weird is that only Chrome is having the problem. When I try to access those same sites in IE, they load fine. On top of that, I can access the SA forums just fine in Chrome, and in fact I'm posting from it now. It makes no sense. :(

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Magicmat posted:

Have you disabled all your extensions and turned off all your flags in chrome://flags ? What version are you on?

(Can we put the preceding two sentences in big, red letters at the top of the OP? Not saying this will definitely solve your problem, Karthe, but it should be the first thing you check.)
I'm no stranger to Chrome so those were some of the first things I checked. I even went as far as blowing out my profile and letting Chrome start over with a clean slate but the problem remained.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
My laptop's been experiencing other weird issues lately, so I'm reimaging it in the hopes that these problems go away. With luck Chrome will get sorted out at the same time. v:shobon:v

Edit: Welp, I reinstalled Windows yesterday and Chrome worked fine, but now this morning it's doing the exact same thing as yesterday. :suicide:

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 11, 2012

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

kri kri posted:

Do you keep installing the beta build?
Yes, but I also uninstalled and tried two other times with Dev and Canary. I'm back on the Beta build at the moment. Are you suggesting I install standard Release version?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

crazysim posted:

Disable SPDY.
You know, I had an inkling it was somehow related to this. You were right, disabling SPDY fixed the problem. That explains why it impacted Google's services, but I have no idea why Facebook would be affected as well...I guess this means they support SPDY?

And if nothing's changed on my end network- or computer-wise, what could that imply? I'm going to guess that some of the tweaks to SPDY introduced in the recent Beta release on Monday were to blame, but beyond that I have no idea.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Sirotan posted:

Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.
I get this same error all the time, too, but only at work and only intermittently (it used to happen every time). I never get it at home, though, even when using the exact same version as at work.:iiam:

Hitting the F5 key a couple of times is usually enough to get the page to load, though, so I've just toughed it out.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

crazysim posted:

When connecting to Google services, it uses SPDY. At work, maybe they have a wildcard certificate installed so they can peek and sniff at HTTPS connections too for whatever reason. However, this sniffing might mess with SPDY so you might want to consider disabling that if you're having problems.
Thanks for reminding me. I had to add the following to my Chrome shortcut to get it to work with Google stuff:
code:
--use-spdy=off --use-system-ssl
Unfortunately, even with this flag set I still have intermittent issues. I'm one of two IT guys at work and we don't do any kind of traffic sniffing, so maybe it's something with our ISP? In any case, Sirotan, that command line switch is your best bet at the moment.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

bowmore posted:

That's what I'm doing and it's closing my bookmarks
The only way to do this is to open up Bookmark Manager (right-click "Other Bookmarks", you'll see "Bookmark manager" second from the bottom) and middle-click links.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

ufarn posted:

Be careful with saving passwords in Chrome. An XSS exploit allows other people to easily intercept it: http://homakov.blogspot.dk/2012/11/xss-save-your-password-pwned.html.
Well then, it looks like it might be time to start using a third-party password manager. What would you guys recommend? I've heard good things about LastPass, but I might end up using something that integrates with KeePass.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is anyone else having issues with Chrome and the Hangouts extension? For the last couple of weeks Chrome has been randomly crashing when I alt+tab away from an active Hangouts window. There's absolutely no rhyme or reason, the browser just hard crashes. I'm having a hard time finding an exact work flow that causes Hangouts to crash, too, since sometimes alt+tabbing works fine and other times it causes a crash.

In an effort to troubleshoot this I've completely uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome and Hangouts, but the problem persists. I've even tried switching Chrome from Beta to General Release, but that doesn't fix anything either. What's worse, Chrome doesn't even leave crash reports for me to analyze to try and find the culprit. And since Chrome doesn't crash on its own when the Hangouts extension is disabled I'm positive that it's the extension itself.

This computer is the only one that I experience this problem on - the same setup on my desktop works just fine. I'm currently running Chrome 32.0.1700.19 beta-m Aura and Hangouts 2013.1106.433.2.

IAmKale fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 26, 2013

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to get Chrome to show my homepage instead of the New Tab page whenever I open a new tab? I'm trying to spend more time on a language learning site and so I'm hoping to make it more in-my-face/easier to access.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Master_Odin posted:

No easy way to do it directly through chrome so use an extension instead: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/new-tab-redirect/icpgjfneehieebagbmdbhnlpiopdcmna
Sweet, this works perfectly. Thanks!

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is the audio indicator in the tab missing for anyone else? I just realized it disappeared, it must have been in the last couple of days. I just updated to 42.0.2311.68 beta-m about five minutes ago so it went away sometime prior to that.

Also, has anyone else had Chrome randomly and arbitrarily reload every single tab? I'll be in the middle of something like watching a YouTube video when, hands off keyboard and mouse, everything just reloads. Is there a log or something I can consult to see what might be causing this?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

DemonMage posted:

Still there in my 41.0.2272.118 m version.
I happened to notice after posting that the only tab lacking an audio indicator was the one I had Google Play Music loaded up in. A YouTube video I was just watching showed the little speaker icon like I was expecting. There must be something going on between GPM and Chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
If any of you are afflicted by the LastPass slow login bug, here's the official Chromium bug report: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=487201

Supposedly the issue is resolved in Dev and Canary but I just updated to 45.0.2421.0 dev-m from Beta and I'm still experiencing it even after a reinstall of the extension. I guess all we can do now is cross our fingers and hope the Chromium team figures out a fix.