Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
For the past few weeks, I've had an issue with Chrome randomly switching to a different font on some websites.

Here's the most egregious example (site is in Spanish, but the content is irrelevant).

This is how it looks on Chrome:

This is how it looks on IE:

The IE version is the correct one. This only seems to happen in my Work PC installation (Windows 7), but everything works fine in my laptop at home (Windows 8.1).

I've tried disabling extensions, and reverted to stable from beta, but no dice. My next step is completely uninstalling Chrome, but maybe a flag got tripped somewhere?

Thanks for any help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Just in case anyone else had a :downs: moment like me.

To disable DirectWrite you have to enable the option that says "Disable DirectWrite". The wording made me think that mine was already disabled so I couldn't figure out why the problem persisted.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Not strictly a Chrome question, but close enough.

Does anyone know if Google's App-Specific passwords will expire when you reset the main password on an account?

I manage a bunch of users in Google Apps and every now and then someone needs to reset their password, which isn't a big deal in and of itself, but it also means that I now have to reconfigure their phone, tablet and computer (some of which have multiple apps that also log in to Google, like Chrome). Bonus points if they're travelling when it happens.

I was hoping that if I started using app-specific passwords for (almost) everything, resetting the main password wouldn't be a big deal anymore as all other apps would still continue working normally. Worst case scenario, a device gets stolen and I have to take 2 extra minutes to reset all the app specific passwords for that device.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Does Google's new Inbox use memory like crazy for anyone else? It regularly hits 600mb and I've seen it up as high as 1gb.

I know that it's new and it might have memory leaks, but it doesn't happen in my Work PC (Windows 7), just at home (Windows 8.1).

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Uziel posted:

I'm having a weird Chrome issue with Google Docs on a single computer: Whenever I enter text/numbers into a Google Sheet cell, the cell doesn't update until I switch to another tab or window, then switch back.

I've tried pretty much everything short of reformatting (which I can't do until this semester is over).

Has anyone else encountered this? I did post this on the Google support forums but never got an answer.

I'm 99% sure that if you go to the Sheets settings menu there's an option for how often Sheets should refresh cell contents.

I don't have my computer to check, but I would start there.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if there's an extension that will add more text editing options to Gmail?

I use Gmail for 100% of my e-mail and sometimes the Compose window being so basic infuriates me.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I've just downloaded uMatrix for Chrome and I'm having a problem where spoiler tags on forum posts won't clear when I mouse over them.

I can still see the text beneath if I highlight it, but the black bar stays in place.

Everything under somethingawful.com is green under uMatrix. Any idea on what might be going on?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Not technically a Chrome question, but there's no Google General Questions thread:

I used to have auto-backup enabled for my photos on my Google Plus app on my iPhone. Recently that feature got automatically disabled and it's now saying "Backups are being performed by another app".

The only thing I could think off was that months ago (before the feature stopped working), I had installed the auto-backup software on one of my computers. I uninstalled it, but the problem persists.

Is there any way to just reset my backup settings?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

DemonMage posted:

Google Photos handles backups now since Plus is being phased out.

Thanks for the tip!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any extension that streamlines content to maximize readability?

Basically what "Reader" mode in Safari does.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I use Chrome on a 1440*900 monitor and while it's fine for most browsing, most text heavy sites like news articles and SA will end up with lots of text per line which makes it difficult to read. Zooming in is a partial solution, but at some point having gigantic text is kind of ridiculous, not to mention that since images zoom in as well you end up with broken tables everywhere.

Is there any extension that will let me modify webpages on the fly to reduce/enlarge specific tables and objects? Or maybe even make the page think that that tab is rendering at a different resolution.

Something like that little resize corner that text input boxes have would be perfect.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress is up with Chrome trying to force me to use Alt + Left Arrow instead of Backspace and how can I disable it?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have any suggestions for extensions that do the same as Reader mode in Safari or Firefox?

Edit: I'd actually already asked this and got an answer, sorry!

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 31, 2016

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I'm a freak that likes using Incognito mode as my default browsing mode.

Looking at Chrome's privacy settings I found this:

For the most part this seems to make Regular Chrome work the same as Incognito mode, with the advantage that tab history is kept until I close the browser (instead of until you close the tab, like in Incognito).

The weird thing is that every now and then I will shut down my computer and when I boot up again, I'll find that Chrome hasn't actually cleared my cookies (ie: I'll be already signed into any webpages I was browsing before turning off the computer). Anecdotally, it happens about 1/5 times.

Is this a bug or am I missing something about how this setting works?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
For some time I've been having a weird issue where for whatever reason google search and some related services will just stop responding, like if the site was down. Even trying to access https://www.google.com via 172.217.28.36, for example, won't work.

Other stuff like gmail.com, calendar.google.com, contacts.google.com, etc., will work fine.

The problem only occurs withing a specific Chrome session, if I open up an incognito window everything works fine within that window. I haven't seen this happen on any other computer in the office or even with my own Chrome install at home.

I'm on 58.0.3029.96 stable.

Ublock origin is running both on regular and incognito window.

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wait, you can have it run on Incognito mode?