Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

nmfree posted:

I was more looking for if there was some sort of general problem with Chrome that made it not work properly. You're right, though, I didn't give any useful information.

When I looked at my extensions list to see if there was something that could be causing the problem, I decided to go into the settings on Adblock Plus to see if I accidentally set something incorrectly. There was some entry for the forums in there (that I should probably have saved because I don't remember it now) that I didn't recognize which I deleted and now it seems as if images are loading properly again. (My guess is that I probably tried blocking an avatar or something on here and didn't do it right.)

v:shobon:v

This is probably what happened. There was a creepy avatar I saw earlier today. When I told Adblock Plus to block it, it also blocked all of SA's image server or something like that. I couldn't see avatars for a while until I got rid of that particular filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is this dev v 18.0.1010.0? If so, I'm not getting that problem.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Anyone on the dev branch having trouble with streaming video to show on sites like Youtube, or even when they are embedded? I hear the audio, but don't get any images to load.

I'm on 18.0.1025.1

edit: Just updated to 18.0.1025.3 and the problem is fixed! :)

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 3, 2012

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I came across an odd problem a moment ago, running Chrome dev branch on Mac OSX 10.7.3. I've never had issues with Chrome, but when I tried running the browser a moment ago, the window popped up before crashing immediately. After a bit of Googling, I found that if I remove info.plist from the Application folder for Chrome, the problem would be solved. Has anyone come across this problem before? Am I okay just deleting this file and using Chrome as normal?

edit: I tried reinstalling Chrome before the info.plist fix but had the same problem -- maybe because I didn't reboot in between reinstalling?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Misogynist posted:

Well, Chrome, it's been a fun ride for the last year and a half or so, but I've finally gotten fed up with your constant freezes, crashes and other stability problems. I'm moving back in with Firefox. If we're both unmarried by the time we're 40, we can get married, okay?

Besides the problem I posted about earlier (which I resolved in 5 minutes) Chrome has never crashed on me; and I'm on the dev branch.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Anyone else getting weird distorsions and noise on the button for Mail Checker Minus?

Here's what I'm seeing:

The pixelated effect changes whenever I mouse over the button or load a new page; and I'm seeing the same effect on the download bar. I'm on the dev branch.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Magicmat posted:

if you're on a Mac, this is a known problem that was listed in the release notes for the latest dev release.

I am, yes. Thanks for the information, I'll just wait until the next release. :)

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

bazaar apparatus posted:

Main reason I read these Chrome threads is for extension suggestions, so hopefully you guys could list your favorites too? Preferably the ones that might not be as well-known around here like Adblock is.

Chat for Google Chrome -- use Google Chat through Chrome.

FastestTube -- a YouTube video downloader.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Has anyone got the "3 finger down swipe to show open tabs" thing to work? I've got it on but nothing happens...It would be so useful!

No, but I have a gesture in BetterTouchTool mapped to the keyboard shortcut for the tab overview (Shift-Command-T). It gets the job done, but it is a little finicky.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Chrome dev v22.0.1215.0 on Mac OS X 10.7.4 -- is anyone else experiencing strange behaviour on some websites? For example, Facebook's status box is no longer detecting when I post links, and I can't open any messages either. Another example is that the download link on this website doesn't work: http://www.adultswim.com/promos/201206_singles/index.html

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
GIF problem here as well. Also, Chrome crashes at random times when I access a new URL from the start page.

edit: And Facebook's messages still aren't showing up.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I want to install Adblock Plus Beta's development build on my version of Chrome, but past v21 you're no longer allowed to install extensions from outside the Chrome store unless you run Chrome with the --enable-easy-off-store-extension-install command line flag. I have no idea how to do this on a Mac; could someone give me a quick run down? Thanks!

Here's a link to the build, for those of you who want it: https://adblockplus.org/en/development-builds#installation

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

I think you can just drag CRXs or Greasemonkey Scripts into the extensions page to install them.

That worked; thank you!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is anyone else still having issues with gif images not playing with the current dev build?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure the latest update to the dev branch causes a few issues when running flash -- it's just a hunch but in the space of 10 minutes my Macbook crashed twice whilst watching BBC News videos.

This, as well as the other issues involving flash files, gifs not playing and whatnot have finally made me switch back to the beta branch. :negative:

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I routinely switch between branches and have Google Sync activated to synchronise everything. I don't lose anything in the transition and can continue my browsing experience uninterrupted.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Anyone else getting a weird freezing bug on Chrome Beta with Mac OS X 10.8.2? Things usually run fine for a few hours, then for some bizarre reason no new websites will load and opening up a new tab will just bring up a blank page instead of showing anything. When I then try to quit Chrome, the rest of the Macbook freezes up and I have to do a hard reboot.

Please help, I really don't want to switch to Safari. :(

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've had a look but nothing really stands out as out of the ordinary. There might be something more to it, but I'm not an expert. :(

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Amazing! Thanks.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Anyone else getting blue tabs in the latest Chrome Beta?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

Ok, looks like it should be fixed in the current Beta release: http://src.chromium.org/viewvc/chrome?view=rev&revision=172775

Thankfully I could find it by searching for "OS X" in the changelog, rather than trying to sift through the 1471 results for "GPU". :psyduck:

Thanks! Those changelogs really confuse me. I'll report back and let you know if it happens again.

edit: Welp, same freeze, in exactly the same way. I've done a totally fresh install of the stable branch, to see if it happens here too.

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 16, 2013

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
This is getting ridiculous -- I can't use Chrome (beta or stable) for more than 3-4 hours before it freezes up on me and forces a hard reboot of my Macbook. Has anyone else come across anything like this?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've also had a little bit of luck with disabling GPU acceleration.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

WastedJoker posted:

Have we got any confirmed fixes for the gif-lag other than the disabling in-built flash optino which has never worked for me?

I'm running OS X 10.8.3 and Chrome dev 28.0.1500.20 and have no gif lag.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is the PDF viewer in Chrome broken for anyone else? Mine hasn't been displaying in-browser PDF files properly for a while now.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
PDFs appear completely blank to me, and sort of flicker as I scroll up and down.

edit: In case anyone is also running into this problem, disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome's settings fixes it.

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 23, 2016

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'm running the most up to date version of Chrome Beta on the most up to date version of Yosemite and over the past couple of days I've noticed that flash videos are blocked behind the grey, ctrl-click this panel to run this plugin window. However, when I select 'run this plugin' nothing happens. Anyone else running into this?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, there's no way I'm letting Flash run by default. I've had Chrome block plugins in the past so I'm familiar with the setting, it's just that telling the plugin to run no longer seems to be working.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
The Ulillilillias of the browser world are killing innovation!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I still stick to Chrome because it's easy to sync it across my phone and laptop, and because it has a lot more extensions for it than Firefox (although -- is this still true?). That being said, Chrome's speed isn't an issue for me, so.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I guess I'm in the B group of the A/B test that didn't get the new tabs (or they haven't pushed it to the beta branch, which would be weird).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lambert posted:

Go to
code:
about:flags
and disable Hardware Media Key Handling

Thank y ou so much, this was driving me nuts.