Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm having a problem with Chrome App Launcher, I think it's completely bugged. I installed it on my machine running the very latest Chrome Beta, then I installed the stable version (28.0.1500.72 m) and Chrome Beta suddenly freaked out, a popup appeared stating I had installed a dev version of Chrome, and uninstalled Chrome Beta immediately (while it was still open) and forced me over to 28.0.1500.72 m.

All of my pinned apps disappeared, this included Chrome App Launcher itself. Afterwards, my Chrome apps stayed, but App Launcher is absolutely nowhere to be found.

I uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it. Still broken. I rebooted Windows (Windows 8.1). Chrome was still broken. I disabled all extensions and have never touched ://flags but App Launcher just refuses to open.

When I was reinstalling my extensions, I noticed it would open up fine when the extension was installed but once I interacted with it in any way, the icon disappeared and won't come back.

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topicsearch/Chrome$20App$20Launcher/chrome/mglMDjKpL_Q

This is pretty much the exact problem I'm having but it doesn't seem Google is paying much attention.

The funny part is, my laptop running the same version, OS, and browser channel is having absolutely no problems.

Got it fixed. Somehow Chrome Stable automatically uninstalling Chrome Beta while it was running caused the extensions to corrupt.

I had to completely uninstall, not let extensions sync, and reinstall every extension one by one. Looks to work just fine now.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 26, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Onean posted:

That may not, but right-clicking the back button shows a short history, and that will work.

I've had websites even take over that and refuse to go back until you mash the back button or just close the tab and give up.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Blargh, just got updated to 29.0.1547.76 m and now there's a loving search box on my new tab page. Any way to turn that off?

EDIT:

Ah-ha, it's Google loving with everyone and making people mad. Thanks Chrome forum!

I'm on 29.0.1547.76m and I don't have a search box... :confused:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

It depends on who your search provider is. That setting I mentioned above allows your default search provider to insert stuff into the new tab page apparently. If you have it set to Google, then bam.

Mine is set to Google though...I feel slightly left out. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My version of Chrome was, for some reason, not actually getting updates and that's why it wasn't like anyone else's...

I had to uninstall and reinstall the current version and it finally changed over. However, it also broke Chrome App Launcher and I spent an hour fixing it.

So far, the changes are kind of odd, but I'm willing to give it a shot...for a little bit.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/5/4806562/google-building-chrome-os-into-windows-8

Looks like Google might be putting ChromeOS directly into Windows 8.

Personally, I've always wanted a Chromebook. This sounds really awesome and I hope they do this.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

YouTube comments are horrible now (as if they ever were better). How come clicking "in reply to xxxx" simply reloads the page instead of showing the replied-to comment like it used to? It seems broken..

I just watched a decent video on this. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojMWTAeBtrk

I don't agree with all of the points (especially the "Facebook clone" part) but whatever. He's got some good points none the less.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

withak posted:

It looks like tabs that make noise now get a little blinking speaker icon next to their title so when some rear end in a top hat website autoplays a loud video in a background tab then you can kill it ASAP.

This is in the beta I tried today.

Also, you can go into Windows 8 Mode if you're using 8 and it'll basically give you Chrome OS inside of Windows. But it's broken at the moment because I'm having an issue where it's all locked up and weird on my laptop so I revered back to stable. It'll be interesting to see how it is when it comes to stable.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Mr. Gravy posted:

Looks like they've known about it since October 4th. This combined with the width of the dropdown is kinda making me wonder about where the UI is headed.

It's probably headed towards something like Chrome OS.

The new beta of Chrome has the Chrome OS like thing built in if you go into Windows 8 Mode.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Blue Moonlight posted:

The new UI controls on Windows are...interesting.

I'm honestly wondering who's in charge of that over there, because it seems like the styles are rather disparate, especially when you start to consider the more esoteric HTML5 controls like the date picker and such. And I must say, I've never thought about how much I used the up/down scroll bar chevrons until they were gone.

What new ui controls? Did chrome update again?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

X-post from the Android OS thread.

I suppose this counts as both Chrome and Android so...

http://chrome.blogspot.com/2014/02/get-notifications-from-google-now-in.html

Chrome Dev Channel for computers now has Google Now integrated. Google has confirmed that it will be in the Beta Channel of Chrome for Desktop.

I like how it claims you'd get a notification for when your Chromecast shipped...it's never, ever reminded me about shipping. Not once.

Maybe this will come with new Now cards for Android.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

It does this every time for me, Amazon/Google Play/etc. Could it be a thing restricted by country or language? I'm in Canada, my Google Now is set to US English.

I'm in the US, like right smack dab in the middle but...yeah. It just doesn't like me for some reason. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

JoltSpree posted:

I really don't get it because you can just type something you want to search for into the address bar and it'll automatically do a Google search for you. It's literally right there. Why do I have to have another Google search that takes up half the drat page?

EDIT: vvv haha, what the gently caress. It's even worse than I thought.

They did this a while ago because of some users of Chrome not understanding that you don't have to go to Google.com if you're on Chrome, I believe.

So they just came up with this. It might just be temporary for a while. However, it's been around for a while...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Blue Moonlight posted:

There are users who, upon loading IE8 for the first time that day, automatically visit their home page, MSN.com, and punch "Google" into Bing to visit Google.com so they can search for cat videos on YouTube.

It's going to be here for a while.

That's really, really sad...but true.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like Chrome is finally about to go 64-bit.

https://plus.google.com/102860501900098846931/posts/7QWBVYnHK53

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

As far as I can tell Chrome 64-bit doesn't work with 32-bit plug-ins. (Granted I don't exactly have a big sample size, just a PDF plugin (since Google's is kinda crap) and Unity Player, but still.)

Well that's one way to deal with NPAPI.

I'm not sure which of my plugins are 32-bit and which aren't, but when I was on the Dev build, it seemed to work fine with all plugins.

Though it also seemed to enjoy using all 8GB of my RAM and made my computer unresponsive so I went back to 32-bit. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh yay.

Looks like the bug where the Chrome App Launcher just outright disappears after switching from Canary/Dev/Beta to Stable is back.

Ah well. That'll me for trying to test stuff for Google, I guess. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

SurgicalOntologist posted:

On one of my computers (running Ubuntu), Chrome is no longer saving sessions. It used to be that I would get the "restore last session" button if I ever shut down before closing Chrome. What started to happen recently is that button shows up for a split second then the "new tab" page refreshes and it's gone. Any idea what's going on?

I've had this happen to me on my Windows machines. I've just given up using Chrome's default stuff for that and just decided to install the FreshStart addon. It allows you to save sessions and restore them if things crash. I've got a similar extension for Firefox called Session Manager.

Out of all things in both browsers, I'd say they've both failed at this out of the box for me. I find the addons work perfectly.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I updated Chrome to "36.0.1985.143 m" today and now every single YouTube video embedded into a thread here will autoplay.

For example: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3291523&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=122

All three YouTube videos just play simultaneously at the same time...it's very jarring and loud. is there a fix?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

I normally keep flash set to 'click to play'

I've tried that in the past but it seems to break quite a bit of websites I go to. Even if they don't have Flash visibly (or embedded otherwise) in the page.

I think I remember someone complaining that Chrome does it wrong or something?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

As far as I'm concerned it's all the websites that abuse flash that are doing it wrong.

Pretty sure it's the browser this time. I just enabled click to play and it still autoplays.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

beejay posted:

According to Lowtax, it is a change that Youtube made.

Apparently it's the Chromecast extension. There's supposed to be an update to it today but people have been throwing complaints at Google who promptly closed them saying that the fix will be rolling out today.

I've had it happen on every other site now too that embeds YouTube.

Only way to fix it in the mean time is to apparently uninstall the Chromecast extension, restart the PC (as apparently restarting Chrome isn't enough), and just use it that way until the extension gets an update.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Atrocious Pirate posted:

i just installed that new stable 64bit chrome and the text was all weird also.

There's a stable version of 64-bit Chrome already?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

xilni posted:

Yes it was released today (8/26) I believe.

https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/?platform=win64

Oh gently caress yeah! Does it replace the 32-bit version or does it install alongside it?

EDIT: Does it support extensions? I've checked around and apparently it doesn't?

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 27, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

crestfallen posted:

Did I just get lucky then? I have Chrome stable v 37 and all the text seems fine.

Mine is fine too, I'm not sure what's going on with everyone else's though. Is everyone setting their monitors to weird DPI settings or something?

Well, the font for replying on SA's forums is all bolded and whatnot but I actually like it because my eyes loving suck apparently.

:shrug:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Scrambles posted:

I'm wondering if it's related to the new profile manager thing.

Profile manager in Chrome? What version has this and is it enabled by default?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Do NOT install the Google Bookmark Manager thing, you cannot uninstall it and it's just really buggy and lovely.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

crestfallen posted:

If you want just an ad blocker, uBlock is the way to go. If you want something more comprehensive, you can't beat httpswitchboard. They're both by the same dude. He knows what's up.

Is Adblock Plus not A Thing anymore? I don't understand.

Should I just switch to one of these two or something?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is HTTPS Switchboard better on memory than AdBlock Plus too or should I just go with uBlock? I'm assuming that HTTPS Switchboard does the exact same thing as uBlock just offers a lot more fine tuning controls.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, I've used HTTP Switchboard for awhile but just switched to uBlock because I didn't use any of the features of HTTP Switchboard. I certainly haven't seen any performance differences between them.

I have both installed but uBlock on disable to test HTTP Switchboard...I can see where one probably wouldn't use all of those features anyway. I'll give uBlock a try later this week and see how that goes.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

This is the developer's opinion of what to do since HTTP Switchboard is going to become uMatrix and have the adblock stuff taken out: https://github.com/gorhill/httpswitchboard/issues/378

So basically it'll be the same if you just use uBlock and HTTP Switch?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

People working on the forums have been loving with the fonts all the time recently. First they tried Noto Sans, which was nasty, then Open Sans, and right now it's something called 'Roboto' sans-serif, or something. The "best" part is that some of this poo poo only looks okay with DirectWrite enabled and some of it only looks okay with it disabled and so I have to keep loving with my goddamn flags.

Roboto is Google's Android font. :v:

Wonder if they'll actually keep using it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-play-music/fahmaaghhglfmonjliepjlchgpgfmobi

Anyone having trouble with installing this?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

What is this *.webp extension when saving images? :( It's really frustrating.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

dpbjinc posted:

Either you've found one of the ten people in the world who actually uses WebP, or you just got Googled into another bullshit experiment.

Pretty sure it's a mix of both. Basically any image I pull from Tumblr or Facebook is now some WebP poo poo. It's annoying.

I found an extension that lets me save as PNG for all webP images. It even does it if you do "Save As" or drag and drop. It's really loving annoying as apparently only Chrome can open it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Would it be worth switching to the new uBlock?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I've not had a chance to actually use it because I disabled it LONG ago.

I tried to enable it again JUST to try it but it stays disabled no matter what. Not sure why... :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Anyone else have Google Play Music act weird?

I have All-Access, so I'm not sure if that matters, but when I'm playing a playlist or radio station, the currently playing song doesn't update at the bottom of the screen. It'll just continually show the info for the first song played even though it is actually playing the other songs in the playlist.

Works fine in IE...

I'm having this same issue too. I've checked my extensions already but none of them have caused any issues so I don't know.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

We had a bit of discussion earlier about tab management. I usually group tabs by window, and I just came across this extension called Spaces which lets you name windows, save all the tabs in a window, and switch between them via a hotkey.

Works pretty well in my testing this afternoon.

Is this like FreshStart and OneTab which lets you control your tabs and save them for later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Why don't you try it out and see?

I did, it's pretty much only similar in that you can keep your tabs from your previous session, but there doesn't seem to be a way to open automatically, just one by one and only if you click it which opens the new tab THEN go back to the Spaces window/tab to open another.

Tried it for a little bit and let it go. For me. OneTab works a lot better.