Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is there an addon that will automatically fix character encoding issues? When somebody's dumb website sends
code:
instead of
code:
'
I'd like it to automatically get substituted.

If there isn't a specific addon for this, is there a general purposed find and replace addon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

dpbjinc posted:

Alternatively, just set the encoding manually. The menu is just under Tools. Chances are changing it to UTF-8 from Western or vice versa will fix it.

That's not the problem I'm trying to fix. Something on the backend gets sent wrong, and the server sends literally ’ because that's what's stored in their database.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
You could use Audacity to record the "audio out" source. It has different names depending on your sound card/drivers.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Lori posted:

Wow, this is exactly what I came to this thread to ask. This gets on my nerves so bad that I can't use Chrome.

Are you typing the [url]http://?[/url]

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Chrome is restoring my last open page when I launch the program. Is there a way to turn that off?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I have it set to open the new tab page. I even tried toggling it to something else, and then back to new tab page.

I closed the browser, and when I reopened it, that thread came right up.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

JoltSpree posted:

I really don't get it because you can just type something you want to search for into the address bar and it'll automatically do a Google search for you. It's literally right there. Why do I have to have another Google search that takes up half the drat page?

As soon as you start typing in the box, it puts you into the address bar. It's only there to show you that it's useless.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Some sites send webp images to Chrome, and send jpgs to Firefox. Chrome supported webp first, if Firefox supports them at all yet. Your could try change your user agent string to get whichever format you prefer, unless the site is using the Accepts header to determine which format to send, and then you'll have to explain what you're trying to do to get a better solution.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is there a way to make the new app hide in the system tray? I don't really need it up on my screen all of the time. I figured out how to make it not always on top, but it still bothers me.

The old app is still working for me, FWIW.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Visit accounts.google.com on the phone?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I also use Slack on OSX, and have found it to be the last Chrome window focused. If I'm just imagining that, I also use multiple profiles in Chrome, and it definitely opens in a window from the same profile as the window that was last focused.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is there an extension that can detect 'received in exchange for an honest review' in an Amazon.com product page? I want some kind of warning that these pseudo-shills are reviewing the product.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, I know how amazon works, I'm just looking for something to highlight when a product has reviews that may or may not be legit. The ones I've been seeing lately are Verified Purchases.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It seems to be two things, google adds something to the URL, and chrome understands and highlights the text. Not sure which would be easier to attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

codo27 posted:

Sometimes you're reading an article and halfway down they have a button to continue and reveal the rest of it. I'm sure this is some ad boosting trickery, but I'm wondering if someone can explain why/how this is

Forcing an interaction with the page changes some rules about cookie expiration/blocking. Probably for paywall tracking and tracking in general.