Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Did the 17 update come with a new version of flash? I'm pretty sure I had 10-point-something a couple of days ago and now it's 11.1 and Youtube is lagging like hell. Playing a video in Youtube brings everything else into a halt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Found a solution for the laggy flash issue with Chrome 17, turning hardware acceleration off seemed to fix it, though now my processor runs pretty hot whenever I watch Youtube videos. There's a reason I never updated flash once I found a relatively stable version. Thanks, Chrome! :rolleyes:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

notMordecai posted:

- Middle click scroll does not exist in the Mac version of Chrome, which is weird considering Firefox has it. You'll need to make do for now.
I've been able to do it since I started using a Mac. :confused: I have a Logitech mouse and Logitech Control Center installed, which while buggy, lets you use middle click scroll.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

10.7.3 here as well. When I have hardware acceleration off, the video plays fine in the browser window (apart from cooking my processor) but becomes a twitchy mess when fullscreened and vice versa with hardware acceleration on; fullscreen is fine but windowed it slows the whole machine down. Seems like roughly one in five versions of flash the drat thing is actually usable.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is there any way to downgrade the flash player in Chrome (Mac) to what it was before Chrome 17? 10-point-something? Flash 11 is a complete piece of poo poo. Videos become slideshows with hardware acceleration on, and my CPU fries with it off. Html5 is just a stuttering mess as well, so that's out.

Edit: And two seconds later Chrome updates flash to 11.1.102.62, and the problem seems solved.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 16, 2012

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is Flash hosed again in Chrome 19? It's laggy as hell just like it was when Chrome 18 came out.

E: Welp, hardware mode off for the time being. Guess I'll just cook my CPU until they release a fix.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 16, 2012

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Anyone else having issues with Chrome and The Daily Show and The Colbert Nation websites? Both of those leave a huge blank part in the top part of the site which requires me to scroll way down to see the actual site every time. I tried disabling AdBlock but that didn't help.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ufarn posted:

That sounds like an ad-blocker that isn't removing the HTML container of the removed ad. If you are running AdBlocker, try to update its filter.
Updated the filters, didn't work. I don't think AdBlock is the problem since I tried disabling it already, and even putting The Daily Show site on the list of sites where ads won't be block does nothing.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Colonel Sanders posted:

After years of firefox I am going to attempt to migrate to Chrome. Flash seems to be having unusual behaviors with the FF 13 (nothing major, just annoying) and I have never really tried to switch to Chrome before. I also really like the search/address bar combined.

However, there are a few things I miss about Firefox that I would really like to implement in Chrome.

First, I miss having a home button. I liked being able to go to iGoogle (yes, I know it's being shutdown next year) to see a small sample of my e-mail (who it's from and subject so I can decide if it's spam or not), see weather, and get movie show times. Can I add all this to Chrome somehow?

The other issue I have is the downloads, can I get a normal progress bar back and a percentage? Also, when I first started my download, it came up in a status bar at the bottom of the window, I then chose to open it as a tab to see more detail, but I guess I cant get it back as a status bar now?

Also, I really miss Firefox's dynamic forward button and the big orange Firefox button/menu they implemented in recent versions.
You can enable the Home button in Chrome's settings, under "Appearance". As for the downloads... Yeah, Chrome handles them pretty badly, but once you close the bottom bar you can't get it back. You can, however, get an extension that puts a button next to the address bar that allows you to instantly access your downloads page.

E;fb

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So new things I've noticed in Chrome 21 are... A new star icon for adding a page to your favorites and the default "globe" favicon is now a blank page. And that's it.

Oh well, at least hardware accelerated Flash seems to work somewhat now. Until it breaks again.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Chrome 23 changed something about file associations; before I could open certain media files (.mp4 for instance) in-browser which had a pretty handy video player and I'd use that for a lot of sites that had lovely flash players (Gametrailers) but with 23 the browser player won't open but instead prompts me to download the .mp4 itself. There's no option anywhere in Chrome to set it to always open .mp4 files in-browser. Is there any way around this?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

dpbjinc posted:

Does it happen for every video? I tried this link, and it worked fine for me. Dragging and dropping still works as well. If it's not every video, it's probably because the server is sending the wrong file type to Chrome.
Huh, that one works exactly as it did before. I thought it might just be Gametrailers but the issue came up after I updated Chrome, and Gametrailers don't have draggable links to the video files for some reason, nor can you copy the URL either, it just goes straight to the download option after you click it unlike before.

Chrome really needs to let people set up preferred actions for filetypes like every browser since forever.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well that's bizarre. I don't know why it let me do it before and I'm bummed I can't do it anymore. Ah well, thanks for the info.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Wow, Youtube is awful now. Surely there will be an extension to fix the layout, right?
Before the revamp I used the clea.nr extension which was brilliant as it got rid of drat near everything except the video itself, very sleek and clean, but the Youtube revamp broke it and there hasn't been an update yet. :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is there a place I can see Chrome's changelog? It updates pretty often but never tells what's new unless I stumble on it or go hunting for new features.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

datajosh posted:

There's usually a post on the Chrome Releases blog when a new version comes out that has information on updates.

That's great, thanks.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Does anyone know a way to get a html5 player instead of the flash one on colbertnation.com or thedailyshow.com? The flash player is complete rubbish and Safari uses the html5 player automatically on those two sites which is a godsend, but I'd love to have it for Chrome as well seeing as how Chrome natively supports html5. I found a greasemonkey script that changes the Gametrailers flash player to the html5 one -- the Gametrailers flash player is the same horrid one TDS/TCR uses and I was wondering if it's possible to modify it to work on those two sites too.

Or is there a html5 option on those sites that I completely missed? :ohdear:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Chrome seems to be giving me kernel panics on my MBP. I remember them having issues like this a year or two ago but now it's happening to me. Twice so far, across two Chrome updates. The post-reboot error log claims Chrome was the source of the crash, though I haven't been able to figure out what causes it exactly. The first time Chrome was idle and the second crash happened during normal browsing. Anyone else having similar problems? I'm using the latest stable release of Chrome, by the way.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm having some strange issues with flash and (I think) Java applets on Chrome 28.0.1500.71; whenever they load up, the entire page and browser go invisible for a brief moment. With Youtube videos, once they first load up my desktop flashes for a moment and on certain news sites where they have a Java based scrolling news applet on the page, each time a new news item scrolls up the page momentarily goes invisible again. Anyone else having this?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Does... does Chrome update anymore? I'm used to there being an update about every week or so and there hasn't been one for a month. I'm running 29.0.1547.57 currently.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Well that was a sneaky auto-update, then. Never got a prompt to restart Chrome or anything.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I check the update page (About Google Chrome) sometimes twice a day and after a big update there's usually some indication that it has updated and needs a restart, thought not a prompt as such.

In any case, the new drop-down address bar thing is weird and man, the address bar font is huge now.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

My computer is pretty old now, but yeah, Chrome does not like gifs at all. Even small ones freeze it up. I just updated to the latest stable release and I'm having a strange graphical issue; if I scroll down a page (not all pages, just some but I can't seem to find a common factor) the screen draws in slowly and until it does, there are patches of white areas with grey checkermark-type areas. Anyone else encountered this?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

What are the new annotations that appear at the end of some youtube videos? They look like annotations anyway but I have all annotations turned off. They're really annoying because they completely fill the screen about 20 seconds before the video finishes. How do I get rid of them?

taiyoko posted:

I've not been having any issues out of YouTube....but I am also running Magic Options and it's got some sort of alternate buffering, which between that and disabling autoplay, all my YouTube issues are gone.

I have youtube pages sometimes freeze for a few seconds even with Magic Actions.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

DemonMage posted:

They're the "new" end card feature, effectively replacing annotations for letting creators link to other videos/channels and it actually supports mobile. There's no way to turn them off natively. I don't know of any addons offhand that have been updated to support turning them off, assuming it's even possible.

Well that's remarkably stupid. Thanks.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Might not strictly be a Chrome issue but how does Youtube determine what videos to encode with avc and what in VP9? I ask because 1080p60 videos encoded with avc stutter and lag like hell while VP9 ones run butter smooth. Is there a way to force Youtube to show everything with VP9?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Anyone having issues with videos with the latest update? Sound is fine but embedded Youtube videos and (I think) flash videos are pretty screwed showing a blank image and webms and mp4s show nothing except parts of the screen.

E: Turning off hardware acceleration fixes it but I'm not sure what happened to make it screwy in the first place.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 1, 2018

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The latest update didn't fix the hardware-acceleration-on glitch I've had since the previous update where certain gifs bug out big time and some videos (including Youtube) don't show any video while audio is fine. Having hardware acceleration off is kind of a crappy thing for a few things. :(

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Something weird happened with hardware acceleration for sure a few updates ago, I've had it disabled because it caused Youtube videos to drop frames (which they still do since the update even with hardware acceleration off but not as badly) and some gifs and whatnot were really screwed up.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Which Flash Video Downloader? There are a whole bunch of them.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/flash-video-downloader/aiimdkdngfcipjohbjenkahhlhccpdbc?hl=en

Have yet to find a replacement. Everyone recommends Video Professional or whatever that is but it doesn't work.

Okay, that's the one I had sitting idly in my extensions so I got rid of it just in case. Thanks for the heads up.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Jewel Repetition posted:

Recently Chrome started freezing for a few seconds after it downloads a file or uses a file selection prompt. It doesn't seem to be some kind of hard drive issue because Firefox doesn't have any problems with either action. Has this happened for anyone else?

It happens to me too, I wasn't sure if it was my lovely PC or Windows 10 or what but I guess it has to be the latest Chrome since it's gotten pretty bad after the update.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

For the (probably) temporary fix, go to chrome:flags and search for "muting" and disable the setting that appears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just switched to Firefox because of that change. Unsurprising, but such a scumbag move on Google's part.

Also hey, Firefox is pretty good.