Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I recently changed over to Chrome from Firefox as my primary browser. One of the reasons I moved over was that I heard how efficient and bug free Chrome is. However in the week or so that I have been using Chrome I have had more enormous memory leaks than I would have had in 3 months with Firefox. I'm talking my computer grinding to a halt, me opening task manager and finding Chrome trying to eat ALL of my memory! :argh:

I have to use IE8 at work and Chrome reminding me of IE8 is NOT a good thing.

What is up with this? Was I mislead with Chrome > Firefox? Am I doing something wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

MrMoo posted:

Installing plenty of poor extensions it would seem.

The only extensions I have are Ad Block Plus (Beta), Chrome to Phone, IE tab, Reload All Tabs, SALAR and SA Webkit fix.

Thermopyle posted:

How do you know it has a memory leak? Chrome takes a lot of memory by the nature of its design.

Well currently I have 6 app tabs and 8 normal tabs open and it's using 17 processes from 23Mb to 135Mb. This is just over 50% of my memory. However when it goes crazy one process can be over 400Mb and can start using more and more CPU usage. I don't know if that is a memory leak as such but it doesn't seem like normal behaviour.

unpronounceable posted:

On a similar note, how much RAM is in your system?

4 Gb.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Thermopyle posted:

Sounds normal to me.

Open up the Chrome task manager to see whats going on. (Shift-Esc)

Ah that's really handy. I'll try that next time it happens and post back. Thanks! :tipshat:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Well it happened again (as above). I hit shift-esc and low and behold SA was using 350Mb and counting when all I had open was my user control panel as an app tab. That's not right is it?

EDIT: A minute or so later it's at 450Mb, where it seems to be staying.

Red_Fred fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 5, 2012

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there a way to block only the most annoying ads? I currently use Adblock Plus with Chrome but I'm becoming more and more aware that it's not good to block all ads from an ethical point of view.

I know you can add exceptions (such as I have for SA) but that seems like a really long and annoying process to do for heaps of sites. Also that means it's either all or nothing for the site.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I run Chrome on Windows 10 machine at home and Windows 7 at work. I feel bad about the blanket ad blocking that I do on both machines and want to know is there an easy rule as to what sites you can safely disable ad-block on? I figure at work it's probably safe to disable it on everything except annoying ad sites as we have corporate protection anyway (firewall, bluecoat etc) but what about my windows 10 machine at home?

I'm using ublock origin and latest versions of Chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
That's not a feature I actually need. My question is more of a general internet good practise type thing but considering I use Chrome I thought it would be best answered in this thread.