Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

And the Itsy Bitsy Spider
went up the spout again.

You can enable third party addons by configuring chrome via group policy.

Step 1. Follow the steps on this page to download the chrome.adm (or adml/admx) file and add it to your local policy editor.

Step 2. Configure the extensions/extension installation whitelist policy

Step 3. Copy the extension's ID (example: mjlaoepepibiemhcfjfekbihdpbeplme) from chrome's extension page, and add it in the policy editor. You don't need to add every single extension to the whitelist, just ones that were disabled by chrome's recent change.

Step 4. Restart chrome, go into the extensions page and you can now re-enable the third party extensions that you added to the whitelist.

I just did this in win7, works great. You'll want the .adm file from the windows/adm/en-US folder in that zip file, put it in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions\en-US\, start the policy editor by typing "gpedit.msc" in the start menu's run box, right click computer config/admin templates to add a template, then you can edit the whitelist.

Pivit fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

dpbjinc posted:

Are you on a domain? I thought they disabled that a few months back if you weren't on a domain. This is pretty weird the way they're handling this.

Not on a domain, just a normal home desktop running Win7 Pro.

Turns out the extension I was trying to fix has been added to the chrome store since the last time I installed it. Didn't even need to do that stuff, but I'm glad it worked. I've seen another fix that involves making some changes then re-installing your extensions but this one seems easier.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Apparently it has been doing that for quite a few people recently. It appears to be something on their end, and fastly is imgur's CDN so it doesn't seem like anything to worry about.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

Is this method still working? Looks like the dev channel now flags third-party extensions not from the store. I went through the steps, enabled the whitelist and added the correct id, restarted chrome and no dice. Extension is still disabled on Chrome startup. I even opened up a command window and forced a policy update via gpupdate.exe but no love.

I'm on Win 7 Home Premium x64 if it makes a difference. Had to monkey around and add gpedit manually since Home doesn't normally allow you access.

I don't know if Chrome has changed anything since then with extensions but mine is still working fine. I really don't know much about policy editing, here are screenshots how mine looks if that helps at all.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Bungbroy posted:

I looked a few pages back and didn't see anything really related to this. Amazon will not load at all, and sometimes other websites wont completely. This was not happening at all a few days ago, and at first it was only with Chrome. IE didn't seem to have the issue. I reinstalled Chrome and Firefox and it was still the same with both. IE now has the same problem. I've tried deleting history, cookies, and temp files, restarting computer, all the obvious steps. I've got version 36.0.1985.125 m on Chrome if that helps. I really have no idea what to do to fix this. Amazon loads just fine on my iTouch and my girlfriend's computer on the same internet connection, but not on my computer. Any ideas?

Try using Google DNS?

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

WastedJoker posted:

How do I get rid of the Chrome bell in system tray?

I've got it set to hide icon and notifications but it's still there.

Notifications are disabled in Chrome.

You can't.. yet. Here is a statement from a google employee just 21 hours ago.

quote:

Hi All,

Thanks all for your feedback. I'd like to provide you with an update.

The Chrome team is actively working on an update to the notifications system, and our current efforts will adjust the notifications bell so that it is only visible if you have open notifications. If you dismiss all notifications, the bell will also leave the system tray. This is a work in progress and we will let you know when any changes are available to preview in our Canary or Dev channels.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Youtube not working, just getting a black box where the video should be?

Disable magic actions, refresh the youtube page, go back to default view (rectangle button in the lower right corner of the video, next to full screen), then you can re-enable the magic actions extension again.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I've got a weird problem that just started with Chrome on my Windows 8 tablet. Sometimes, when I click, using the touchscreen, on some elements, it does this weird thing, and it won't let me click on some links.

But when I attach the keyboard and click using the trackpad, it works normally. I don't know if it's a Windows problem, or a Chrome problem, but it only happens in Chrome.

Ideas?

That is what Chrome does on my phone when it can't tell what link you're trying to click/touch. It zooms in a little area of the page so you can click with better precision.

This thread talks about it, looks like a problem that just popped up for quite a few windows tablet users. I don't see a fix yet but they're gathering info.

edit: Google employee Sarah said this six hours ago..

quote:

Thank you all for your reports. We are working on this issue! We will get back to you as soon as there is a workaround or fix in place. Thank you for your patience.

Best,
Sarah

Pivit fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 22, 2014

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

That is definitely not from Chrome, the error uses the website's colors/fonts.

Loaded just fine for me though, not sure what about yours is throwing it off. Be interested to see what the error is telling them.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

lostleaf posted:

Anyone have recommendation for plugin for inventory checker or maybe just webpage update checker. I'm trying to buy a used verizon iphone 5s from verizon. I'm looking for a plugin that'll popup notify me if that webpage changes.

I haven't used it myself but Page Monitor appears to do just that and has a lot of good reviews.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Maybe try uninstalling Flash (control panel -> programs and features -> adobe flash player -> uninstall), reboot, and then go to the site to re-download and install it?

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

im gay posted:

What is this 'You' thing? I didn't install it:

From here

You can disable this via chrome://flags

It's accessible by copy/pasting this URL it in the omnibox: chrome://flags/#enable-new-avatar-menu, disable it to remove the button.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Try using CTRL-SHIFT-P to print using the system dialog rather than chrome's built-in one.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

I just updated to Windows 10 from 8.1 and now the Chrome home screen is being weird.

Only loads 6 out of the normal 8 shortcuts, and none of the usual links to gmail, etc. Is this a known bug or just some weird luck of the draw defect?

Mine was doing that too. Maximize chrome with the homepage open then press ctrl-f5 (ctrl-refresh). Fixed it for me.

edit: Nevermind, it still loads three wide sometimes but as long as the window is wide enough for four thumbnails a ctrl-refresh makes it go four wide again. Thats kind of annoying, and only been happening for a few days. Hopefully they'll fix it.

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=495968

Pivit fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 21, 2015

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

wormil posted:

Xposting from W10 thread. W10, Chrome, and Youtube aren't' playing well. My display driver stops responding over and over, like every couple of minutes, while watching Youtube in Chrome. I have onboard video, Intel2000, not a Windows Insider or running any beta stuff. Not happening in Edge or Firefox (so far). Googled the problem but I can't find anything useful. fake edit; after reading the above I'm wondering if it could be caused by ublock origin, I'm going to disable that and try again.

Go into chrome settings, click on advanced settings at the bottom, then uncheck the box to use hardware acceleration. Mine started popping up with display driver stopped responding a few months back with a GTX 970. With hardware acceleration disabled it still plays videos just fine, but no errors now.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

I just found this reddit post about youtube ads in google chrome with adblock.

quote:

As the article states, uninstall the YouTube app within Chrome

enter 'chrome://apps' into the address bar
right click on the YouTube app
remove from chrome
done

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Did they recently change it so you can no longer disable the profile switcher by adding flags to your chrome shortcut? I used to have it turned off, now it's back and I can't get it to go away.

I tried adding --disable-new-avatar-menu to the shortcut like I had before, but the profile switcher is still there.

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Press ctrl-shift-i to open the console thing. Then go to the Timeline tab.

Press ctrl-r to reload the page and have it record stuff.

Once that is done click on the aggregated details tab at the bottom and you can see the different things that loaded, extensions, time taken, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivit
Oct 14, 2012

went up the spout again.

Vimto posted:

Right click hide in chrome menu. :rolleyes:

This isn't my screenshot but it gets the point across. I don't want them in the menu either.