Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

kri kri posted:

Anyone gotten tab syncing to work? I enabled on both my computers and no luck.

For screen capture I use imgur, it can take screenshots of pages and auto-upload them to imgur

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ehoopddfhgaehhmphfcooacjdpmbjlao

You'll need a extension to do this, something along these lines: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/jecnodmghjaeejdkfinaoljboheaeaog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Strong Sauce posted:

Checked last couple of pages, no results.

Has anyone having weird issues with adblock? I have EasyList and EasyPrivacy loaded but I've noticed in the past couple of days that ads have been showing up that had previously been blocked before. Not sure if this started happening before or after that quick update Google released for their 0-day exploit.

I noticed this in a few places, tried to update my filters and still noticed a few ads. I'm sure the devs will get it sorted out soon enough.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Stare-Out posted:

So new things I've noticed in Chrome 21 are... A new star icon for adding a page to your favorites and the default "globe" favicon is now a blank page. And that's it.

Oh well, at least hardware accelerated Flash seems to work somewhat now. Until it breaks again.

This right here blew my mind, I thought all favicons were broken and started researching it. This blank icon bothers me for some reason. I nuked my profile too in the hopes that was part of the issue. Ugh. I couldn't find any documentation on it either.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
So I blow at spelling and use the 'dict' search engine all the time, but I've noticed lately that the history results come up before the search engine site. So I end up hitting dict, tab, tab, tab, tab <stuff>. The lack of omnibox configuration has really bothered me, anybody else run into this? Oh yea, you can delete the history item but as soon as you do the next search you have to tab tab tab again.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

The Lord Bude posted:

Using the space bar instead of tab to activate a search engine avoids this. Also note that you can configure the search key to be anything you want. I use two letter keys for everything.

Good man! Never thought to even try this.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Computer won't sleep after the last major update. I have to run powercfg -requests a few times before I see the following pop up:

code:
PS C:\Windows\system32> powercfg -requests
DISPLAY:
None.

SYSTEM:
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Users\voltron\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
Uploading data.
[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Users\voltron\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe
Uploading data.

AWAYMODE:
None.
I tried the following:
code:
powercfg -requestsoverride PROCESS \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Users\voltron\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe awaymode display system

powercfg -requestsoverride PROCESS chrome.exe awaymode display system
Both havent fixed the issue, after that update. I can manually start -> sleep, but it'll never shut down itself. Getting real pissed off at this. I have backups kick off in the morning so I don't have to wait around for them but I expect the computer to sleep after, hasn't worked right for over a week. Anybody got any ideas?

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

FunOne posted:

Not Chrome related, but Google related: Has anyone received the unified storage capacities or Wallet send money features yet? I'd actually like to send someone some money, but I have no desire to give my banking details to PayPal or other services if I don't have to.

I've been waiting for this as well, and no I haven't seen it.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

supermikhail posted:

My Linux (but not my Windows for some reason) Chrome updated the bookmarking section to something strange:

The image is of the second poster on that page, but I've checked and it can be different. Other sites don't seem to have any images as far as I've seen... So, is this just SA's inscrutable screwing around? I mean, it kind of is fast to have caught on to this feature, especially if it's not available to all users (not to mention browsers).

If they would just give us a way to update those images I wouldn't care so much but that bookmark manager drives me up a wall sometimes.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

SurgicalOntologist posted:

There's also this super useful extension which lets you customize all your shortcuts:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/shortkeys-custom-keyboard/logpjaacgmcbpdkdchjiaagddngobkck?hl=en

There is also this one: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/vimium/dbepggeogbaibhgnhhndojpepiihcmeb vimium if you like vim style shortcut keys. I've been using it for a while and it's pretty baller if you're already used to HJKL etc.

You'll be reminded of how lovely websites are that drop the cursor into the search field by default though. (Make it the first tabstop!)

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Came to this thread to see if anybody else was having issues with the artifacts in gifv's. I tried updating my nvidia drivers (even though I'm sure it's a chrome issue) and it changed nothing. At least it's not just me.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

codo27 posted:

The worst thing about chrome isn't the memory hogging, its the fact that downloading something opens up a big loving ugly bar right across the bottom of the screen. I actually yearn for the old popup you got for downloads in IE7 and below. Is there any way to change this behavior?

I've just got the keyboard shortcuts to open the downloads window and then close that tab memorized. Cmd-Shift-J, Cmd-W, no more bar. I guess I should look into the extension though as that might make it less painful.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

SteelReserve posted:

Has anyone tried the 'Privacy Possum' extension that is supposed to be like "Privacy Badger on Steroids"?

I just saw it referenced vaguely on other websites and was wondering if it actually is any better. I generally prefer to use Privacy Badger instead of other ad blockers since it uses heuristics instead of a white/blacklist, and seems to catch more ads than ublock.

It's also neat that I can literally just install PB and not have to fiddle with any settings, except when I might have to disable it for a website or two.

This sort of thing I would just follow with what the EFF is saying. They do the research for this type of stuff and generally have very good recommendations. https://www.eff.org/privacybadger

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Malloc Voidstar posted:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=896897&desc=2#c23
Google has proposed a change to Chrome's webRequest API that will permanently break uBlock Origin and similar adblockers, only permitting Adblock Plus-style adblockers with a limit of 30,000 filters. (My uBO install currently has >140,000 filters)

This is one huge shitfest. Pretty sure if I'm forced out of ublock, I'll be forced out of chrome as well.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
I love how the solution is vastly more complicated then using the login function of windows, which can be as simple as "shake mouse, screen comes on, clicks icon that looks like me, open browser and do whatever I want"

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Relevant Tangent posted:

So what browser is everyone switching to?

Already made the switch to FF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
https://12ft.io/ has worked for me in the past