Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«253 »
oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

Tales of Maj'Eyal (ToME)

ToME is an open-source, single-player, tactical role-playing roguelike set in the custom fantasy world of Eyal. The combat is primarily talent driven. Even melee classes like Berserkers use talents and resource pools rather then bump attacking their way through the game.

Like many roguelikes, Tome is a turn based game with dungeon levels that are randomly generated and generally permanent death. However Tome is also very accessible for a roguelike with multiple difficulty settings so new players can start out with a few extra lives if they choose or traditionalists can play on roguelike difficulty in which case the first death is usually the last. The UI is also pretty and functional and everything in the game is full of tooltips letting you know exactly how they function. It's not a game you need to dig through 300 pages of wiki entries to learn and really is something you can jump right into. If you have a question on how something works, just mouse over it and it will tell you. Alternatively you can hit 'space' to bring up chat and ask anyone else who's currently playing the game via Tome's built in chat feature.

For those that played earlier incarnations of Tome (Tome 2 for instance) note that Tome has been rewritten from the ground up. It's no longer an Angband variant and it's no longer based on Middle Earth. It has it's own rich and detailed world and while it is still in beta and has its share of bugs, it is under very active development with 20 betas being released in this last year alone (granted some were bug fix releases but many of these have added tons of new content, classes, and game features).

You can get it here.

official in game art

What separates Tome 4 from other roguelikes?

For one a lack of consumable hoarding. The Tome philosophy is that hoarding potions and scrolls until the end of the game is neither fun nor particularly easy to balance. Things generally handled by consumables like healing and teleportation are handled through runes and infusions instead, which are basically swappable talents. Likewise Tome dungeons do not respawn. Once an area is cleared it's generally cleared for good. The game's leveling and xp system is balanced around these concepts so the player should never feel the need to grind to advance.

Tome also comes with a full tile set, has sound and music, as well as an integrated chat system so you can ask advice of other players without leaving the game (hence the thread title). It also supports ASCII and has an options menu so almost any feature you don't enjoy you can turn off.

There's more, the game's pretty innovative and it would be hard for me to cover everything. But briefly, a friendly interface that supports both keyboard and mouse based play along with fully functional auto-explore, a fairly unique combat system, a polished UI (which will be customizable next beta), a very active developer (the game's seen 37 beta releases in the last two years), and a growing player base.

Plus... it's pretty.

Some screenshots showing off Shockbolt's tile set and in game artwork.

And some ASCII screenshots for the old-school.

Still not convinced?

I'll quote Andrew Doull's post from the ASCII Dreams site.

quote:

T.o.M.E. 4 has fended off commercial roguelikes (Dungeons of Dredmor), previous winners (Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup) and new entrants (JADE) to win roguelike of the year for the second consecutive year, becoming at the same time the first roguelike to win more than once. Congratulations to DarkGod and his team for making such a great game and the T.o.M.E. 4 community for rallying around it.

With an incredible number of releases this year, it now features a beautiful tile set designed by Shockbolt, one of the most advanced user interfaces of any roguelike and a friendly community welcoming to new players.

And a new players experiences with Tome reposted from the Tome forums.

quote:

Over the years as I got busier and less patient with massive learning curves, I found I kept having the same experience with roguelikes:

1) I'd hear about some great new roguelike and get really excited.
2) I'd download said roguelike.
3) I'd spend 17 hours trying to remember 270 different commands (like the exact 14 step process to wear a half-mithril/half gold ring of +15% wind damage against orcs wearing teal tutus on your right pinky finger with the diamond mount facing due NNW when the character's arm is resting...)
4a) I'd give up in disgust and say "I'll figure it out later" (and never play it again) or;
4b) I'd play it and find the game is still very alpha and buggy, but the creator swears he'll develop it more as soon as he has some free time...

Anyway, for the past year or so, while I've been monitoring the progress of JADE, I kept on hearing TOME4 being heralded as the great new "epic" roguelike to rival even ADOM or Nethack or Angband. And I wanted to play it, very much, but I could never find the time for what I assumed would be a week long (at least) orgy of masochism and frustration before I got the swing of things. But I was home for Christmas, and on leave, and bored, so I gritted my teeth and downloaded TOME4...

And I started it up...

And within 10 minutes I was gleefully hacking away at trolls, discovering treasure and the notes of an unfortunate adventurer who had gone before me. I was actually having fun. The keybindings and skill system are as simple as, say, Torchlight, but don't feel restrictive at all in the way Torchlight feels small and restrictive. I killed some big troll, and then sold a lot of loot in town, and then got halfway through some ancient ruin before saving for the night and posting this. I can see, just from the weapon prefixes and the skills and the notes and the vague murmurings of people on the built in IRC channel (cool idea btw), that the game is almost infinitely larger than the tiny bit I've tasted. But the thing is, *I don't care.* I don't feel overwhelmed. I don't feel the need to go online and spend 20 hours reading through some wiki trying to figure the game out. I don't feel as if I won't be able to sleep until I visit every place and figure out every game mechanic. I feel that my current understanding of the game is sufficient to get me through my current adventure - and that my understanding is growing at about the same rate as the difficulty is increasing. In other words, TOME4 is a roguelike that is actually designed to be easy to play, which is almost a revolutionary concept for me.

Resources!

Official Site: http://te4.org/
Forums: http://forums.te4.org/
The Wiki: Note that some of this is outdated http://te4.org/wiki/wiki
Official IRC Channel: irc.rizon.net #tome
Development Log: For those curious about upcoming changes http://git.develz.org/?p=tome.git;a=summary
ePub Lore Document: Heavy lore spoilers http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=31703

Introductory Walk Through - A bit outdated: http://te4.org/dl/thirdparty/t4walkthrough/index.html
Class Guide Links: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...0#post424293343

A very recent (b43) let's play put together by Mirthless that's a great introduction for new players!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ajF8PRCNWg

Gameplay FAQ

What's a good starting race/class combo for newbies? Cornac, Higher, and Halfling start in one of the easiest zones, you may want to skip the end area with the warning pop-up though and come back to it later. Bulwark and Berserkers are your typical warrior classes with the Bulwark being defensive and the Berserker offensive. Both are easy to learn and easy to play. The Alchemist is a bit more complicated but starts off with a pet Golem that's pretty tough in his own right. If you want to throw bombs at people and have a pet the Alchemist is the way to go. If you just want to beat things to death then try the Bulwark or the Berserker.

Why can't I play a mage? Archmages are an unlockable class (along with many many other classes and a few races). The reason they're not available right off the bat is to give you time to familiarize yourself with the game before tackling the more complicated features and classes. If you dig through the first couple pages of this thread though someone's posted instructions on how to unlock everything by editing your game document (some players consider this cheating). If you want to do it legitimately the tome wiki has a fairly up to date list of how to do all the unlocks. In the mean time the Alchemist is a mana driven caster of sorts and a good starting class for new players.

Can I store my gear someplace? Non-artifact items will decay unless they're left in a vault. Artifacts never decay. Later on you'll get access to a 'house' with a storage room that prevents item decay. The house is located under Lake Nur which is a zone you'll find at the end of the Old Forest. One of the lore items in Old Forest will have a key on it you'll need to get to the house. Beware though, the zone under Lake Nur is populated with some difficult monsters even though the zone is about the same level as Old Forest. You'll also need to pass through the Lake itself so water breathing could come in handy.

I can't see my talent hotkeys? Try page up/page down, mouse wheel, or tab.

FAQ on Technical Stuff/Issues - To be updated as more questions get asked.

What OS do I need to run this? The download page has Windows, Mac, and Linux executables prebuilt for you along with the source code being openly available. In theory it should run on just about any platform. Some Windows 7 users have reported crash issues while others have not. Some people have had success tweaking the resolution on Windows 7 to get it to run. See below.

How do I change the game settings without opening the game? Or how can tweak things to get it to run on Windows 7 or Vista? "C:/Users/yourusername/T-Engine/4.0/settings/" The resolution.cfg file is an important one that people have had success with tweaking to get the game to run (try something like 800x600). Something else people have had success with is creating a fbo_active.cfg file in settings (if it doesn't already exist), in that file you want it to say "fbo_active = false" (without the quotes of course). If you're running the game on a different OS I'm not sure how to change this. But I'll update this with more information when I have it.

I'm having trouble getting the game to run or compiling it. Where can I get some more help? You can drop by IRC if you like. It's where myself and several other contributors hang out. We generally talk more about technical or development stuff rather then game activities (since most of that has moved to the in game chat) but it's a good place to go if you need help getting things set up. Otherwise you can try searching or posting on the official forums or asking around in this thread.

What's the difference between T-Engine and Tome 4? Tome 4 is actually a module that runs on T-Engine. Both are programmed by the same guy. Other modules can be downloaded and played on the engine but as of this writing there's not many to speak of. A 7DRL was released a few months back for T-Engine called Broken Bottle though I don't believe it will run on the current engine. If anyone is curious though about putting together their own modules it might be a good place to start. You can also drop by IRC if you'd like to talk to people familiar with the code base.

Help?!? I encountered a terrible bug, is there a debug or cheat console I can use to fix my game?Again on windows, (sorry I'm not familiar with other operating systems) you want to create a cheat.cfg file in your T-Engine/4.0/settings/. In this file you want it to say "cheat = true" (again without the quotes). You'll then need to reboot the game and pick a hotkey for the debug menu, it should show up now in the default hotkey config menu (accessed by pressing escape). Once it's bound to a hotkey you can pull up the debug menu and look through the options, it's a pretty hefty cheat menu so most fixes you need should be doable with it. Otherwise you'll need to use the lua console (control+l with cheat mode active). If you're not proficient in lua though or familiar with the code base you may need to get some help from the boys on IRC.

Disclaimer: This is my first thread so if there's any information you guys feel should be included in the OP or if you have any thoughts on how to make it better I'd appreciate the feedback.

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at Jan 25, 2014 around 01:28

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gils
Aug 23, 2008

take it smugly

After I saw the whole 'roguelike of the year' thing I decided to give it a shot. I haven't done very much but it's been pretty fun.

Does everyone get the orb that auto-identifies things, or is it a race/class bonus?

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

Not everyone gets the orb specifically but everyone gets some means of auto-identify.

MMOs & Welfare
Jan 24, 2007

oh he's so pringles

This is a really excellent game if you like roguelikes. Here is a nifty little guide to zones by level. When I first started playing this game I had found a melee character walkthrough of the first 5 dungeons or so complete with screenshots, linked through the main page. I can't seem to find it now, but if anyone else can it makes a great newbie guide.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005
I know how to pronounce 'Xshathra' properly.

Everyone gets that thing.

edit: d'oh.
Personally, I prefer crawl since Tome still feels unfinished, with stair-dancing unaddressed there's a lot of challenge gone, and weird progression from skill advancements etc. I've only played a few times as meele guys, but that's my 2c

Serephina fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2011 around 21:27

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I played a bit of Tome 4 but I always ended up bogged down by endless hordes of monsters I could barely take 1 on 1.

What's the way out of that situation besides teleporting away?

MMOs & Welfare
Jan 24, 2007

oh he's so pringles

WarpedLichen posted:

I played a bit of Tome 4 but I always ended up bogged down by endless hordes of monsters I could barely take 1 on 1.

What's the way out of that situation besides teleporting away?

Regen / healing infusions and fighting in a bottleneck will help a lot. Try starting out with a sword and shield guy, they have good defense and should get you used to the first few dungeons.

vv Yeah that's the one. It's a really useful guide.

MMOs & Welfare fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2011 around 21:39

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

Serephina posted:

Everyone gets that thing.

edit: d'oh.
Personally, I prefer crawl since Tome still feels unfinished, with stair-dancing unaddressed there's a lot of challenge gone, and weird progression from skill advancements etc. I've only played a few times as meele guys, but that's my 2c

Stair dancing has been partially addressed. Enemies heal now when you change levels. I think this was a b36 or b37 change.

Also MMOs and Welfare, I think I know the walthrough you mentioned. I added it to the OP.

This one? http://te4.org/dl/thirdparty/t4walkthrough/index.html

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

How do you get tome to not continually crash?

I a: can't figure out how to do a makefile with it for linux because I don't know poo poo about doing make/config with a .lua file (and couldnt' find much on the web for it to do with my VM)

and b: running under windows 7 64 bit basically crashes, inevitably - regardless of compatibility mode. Does someone know how to not make the game continually crash?

It seems to be every time garbage collection runs basically? It's not running "Slow" normally, just whenever some background process seems to completely gently caress up.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2011 around 22:01

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

edit: And here's some instructions on how to compile from the wiki. I'm not sure how dated they are though as I don't compile on Linux. http://te4.org/wiki/howtocompile

Someone on the tome forums ran into a similar issue on windows 7 and manually changed the games resolution size to get it to run.

quote:

Yes try to edit the file C:/Users/yourusername/T-Engine/4.0/settings/resolution.cfg and set it to something like 800x600, see if it starts

If you still have problems you can add to the discussion in this thread. Though Darkgod is out of town for the new year and won't be back to help resolve the problem until next week.

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2011 around 22:02

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

This looks cool I guess but am I supposed to just die in two shots from the same thing every time on the first floor of this pretty cave I start in?

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

Drox posted:

This looks cool I guess but am I supposed to just die in two shots from the same thing every time on the first floor of this pretty cave I start in?

Not really but that area isn't very friendly for melee characters especially. If you want an easier starting zone you can exit to the world map and look around for the Trollmire (should be a good bit north of where you are near a town called Derth) or choose a different starting race to try out a different starting zone.

Humans and Halflings probably have the easiest starting zone (the Trollmire) but Shalore and Thalore can both move over to that zone if they want. Dwarves and Yeeks (an unlockable race) both are stuck in the zones they start in (I believe).

edit VV: This is good advice. Generally speaking Shalore (the elves that start in the cave) will want to pop their shielding runes before they take damage. The bolts the crystals fire should move slow enough that you can dodge or react to them. Remember that as a Shalore you don't start with a means of healing back damage but instead a way to per-emptively avoid taking damage. Undead races also start with shielding runes and have their own starting area (they're an unlockable race though and by the time you're playing them you should have a better grasp on how to deal with not being able to heal).

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2011 around 22:22

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

I found that the biggest barrier to getting through the beginning part was not constantly using my infusions. Depending on the class/race, you'll start with differing ones, but for the most part you should have one that either regens close to 100 HP over x amount of turns, or blocks x amount of damage. Those plus the standard Roguelike pull-into-a-1x1-corridor-and-don't-get-surrounded strategy is working for me.

The only exception was one of the Elf races starts in a crystal area, and there were crystal enemies that would one shot me. I was using auto-explore (the Z key) and if it would say something like "Stopped: Enemy offscreen" hit a skill hotkey and it will move the cursor to the enemy so you can evaluate what you should do.

I'm not far at all, so I could be wrong, but I would use those all the time. Anytime you're uncertain about a fight.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

oneliquidninja posted:

Not really but that area isn't very friendly for melee characters especially. If you want an easier starting zone you can exit to the world map and look around for the Trollmire (should be a good bit north of where you are near a town called Derth) or choose a different starting race to try out a different starting zone.

Humans and Halflings probably have the easiest starting zone (the Trollmire) but Shalore and Thalore can both move over to that zone if they want. Dwarves and Yeeks (an unlockable race) both are stuck in the zones they start in (I believe).

I tried an elf alchemist twice and both times I got killed by a red crystal thing shooting me from offscreen.

edit: is there a way to make it so that the game doesn't take a turn for me when I switch party members? I really don't want the alchemist to decide it's time to throw a bomb when I'd like to get the golem to do something specific.

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

oneliquidninja posted:

I always do Trollmire last because Bill will one shot low level characters pretty often, and I'm too lazy to backtrack to Bill. Also, the undead races, (some combos of) the celestial classes, and archmages also have their own special starts.

oiseaux morts 1994
Nov 23, 2009

I must say I always thought ToME to be a really poorly designed, gaudy, needlessly complicated roguelike (GOLD: 52.80) and no doubt it's still hilariously idiosyncratic and broken but DarkGod, for all his sins, is really working hard on this. I'll give it another go.

That ASCII tileset is still revolting. Has nobody learned anything from Brogue?

oiseaux morts 1994 fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2011 around 22:28

Wikipedia Brown
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

What's the significance of this thread's title? What's IM? I don't get it.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

What's the significance of this thread's title? What's IM? I don't get it.

Instant Messaging, I believe. There's an IRC program built in so you can ask questions.

Wikipedia Brown
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Mister No posted:

Instant Messaging, I believe. There's an IRC program built in so you can ask questions.

Ah, ok. I get it.

_jink
Jan 13, 2006

attempts so far:

elf shadowblade: made it about three screens then got poisoned really badly by something and a bear blinded me. Panic teleported into some snakes :<

human berseker: went though 3 or 4 screens of trollmire before being killed by the boss(?) behind the boulder. I had him down pretty low & foolishly tried to finish him rather then using a rod I'd found to teleport away

72o
Dec 14, 2007

Thanks for this, I've been looking for something to reignite my love for roguelikes, after I got fed up with ADOM.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009

I'm having crashes on starting up too with Vista 32-bit. It could be my computer's a piece of poo poo, but just to check something, how can I change the game to run in a smaller resolution, windowed?

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

You can edit the config files here.

C:/Users/yourusername/T-Engine/4.0/settings/

resolution.cfg should be what you need.

e: And updated the FAQ in the OP to include that information.

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at Dec 31, 2011 around 23:32

Pinchy
Feb 15, 2004

Fishy deep sea businessman.

For those of you getting one shotted, keep in mind that this game was designed around the extra lives granting "adventurer" setting. Don't try the roguelike setting unless you want to get frustrated.

Also, the alchemist is a really good newbie class. You can control him if you click on his portrait. This also enables you to level him up and pick abilities for him. Just beef him up with your class points and go to town.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

also don't forget that the "refit golem" ability or whatnot, also instantly repairs the golem 100%, and that e = inventory, and i = use item. So you wont' see your entire inventory with I.

edit: for me, changing resolution isn't fixing anything. I put a log in the thread mentioned in hopes someone can figure it out.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

Actually the game is balanced with roguelike difficulty in mind. There's very few out right unfair deaths and many monster abilities and bosses get nerfed from beta to beta as players complain about them being unbalanced. The game really is meant to be played on roguelike difficulty but as it's still in beta and still a work in progress things aren't always going to be fair. But keep in mind that most roguelikes have a steep learning curve and Tome really is no different in this regard, especially if you're playing on roguelike. You're not meant to beat the game in one go on any difficulty setting but adventurer can certainly keep the learning curve from being so steep.

That said there's no shame in playing on adventurer until you get the hang of the game or if you're just not into the hardcore roguelike setting. Not everyone enjoys the stress of having only one life and that is why the game has multiple difficulty settings.

And it's actually e = equipment and i = inventory. The two screens share a lot of the same functionallity though, for instance if you're wielding a staff of teleportation you can activate it from the equipment screen (because it's a worn item) while if you're carrying the egg-sac that lets you summon spiders you'd use that from the inventory screen (because it's not an equippable item). In either case both of the items can be hotkeyed.

Refit Golem isn't a 100% heal, though it can heal a lot. It actually scales with your spellpower.

As to getting the game running I saw your posts on the tome forums. Hopefully Darkgod can help you out when he gets back. It seems to be a common problem the game has with new Windows operating systems so I suspect he'll be anxious to find a fix for it.

And sorry if I come off like a dick or anything, I'm just really familiar with the game. I don't want to discourage you guys from helping each other out and offering advice but if I see something posted that's not quite right I'm going to want to supply the correct information.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

I'm really glad you made this thread, I hope it takes off. I only found this game around beta31, but I fell in love with it! darkgod really works hard to improve it constantly, and new betas are released about as fast as I can find fault with them. The difficulty can seem wonky, but you learn just like with all roguelikes and it makes it all the sweeter when you come up with a new approach and it all comes together.

I encourage people who pick it up to try out the different classes you unlock, as they are all pretty interesting and different from one another. There are a handful of unique resource systems that the classes make use of and they all have their own quirks and challenges. I'm currently obsessed with the Cursed class, who seems to be based around trying to best overcome your various hardships such as your inferior healing affinity and shall we say uncooperative resource pool.

I wish the engine was a little better though. I don't have the crashes that some win7x64 users seem to have, but the game can get sluggish depending on the level.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

oneliquidninja posted:

Stair dancing has been partially addressed. Enemies heal now when you change levels. I think this was a b36 or b37 change.

Also MMOs and Welfare, I think I know the walthrough you mentioned. I added it to the OP.

This one? http://te4.org/dl/thirdparty/t4walkthrough/index.html

I found this guide incredibly helpful when I was starting off. I think the only significant thing that's changed since it was written is that fighters are now called bulwarks. (It won't walk you through the whole game, either - it only goes to level 20.)

Some of the unlockable classes look really interesting - there are no less than two built around time fuckery, for instance.

Dermit
Mar 22, 2005

Been playing Tome4 for awhile. Great game, nice graphics (for a roguelike) and since autoexplore was added I have very little to complain about.

For beginners I recommend Alchemists; just hide behind that golem if you need to. They start badass and just keep on getting better.

Also, anyone who plays on adventure mode is a total Mary!

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
~Oscar Wilde

I would love to play with the unlockable classes (especially necromancer, my go-to class for every game that features them), but I have yet to unlock any of them I am bad at rogue-likes.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

This goes against the spirit of the game or whatever, but, to unlock things early head to: C:\Users\username\T-Engine\4.0\profiles\offline\modules\tome (Either offline or online, depending on if you have an account or not; to get the corrupters unlocked early I had to do it in both online and offline.)

Open allow_build with notepad++, and, in the case of the guy wanting the necromancer class, add "mage_necromancer = true"

Most of them are easy to figure out, chronomancer_paradox_mage is the paradox mage and wilder_summoner is the summoner. I can't figure out what the celestials are, because celestial didn't work.

Oh, and for the corruptor classes, it's: corrupter_corruptor = true and corrupter_reaver = true. Spelled wrong and everything.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

GOOOOOOOOOOONS!

Mister No posted:

This goes against the spirit of the game or whatever, but, to unlock things early head to: C:\Users\username\T-Engine\4.0\profiles\offline\modules\tome (Either offline or online, depending on if you have an account or not; to get the corrupters unlocked early I had to do it in both online and offline.)

Open allow_build with notepad++, and, in the case of the guy wanting the necromancer class, add "mage_necromancer = true"

Most of them are easy to figure out, chronomancer_paradox_mage is the paradox mage and wilder_summoner is the summoner. I can't figure out what the celestials are, because celestial didn't work.

Oh, and for the corruptor classes, it's: corrupter_corruptor = true and corrupter_reaver = true. Spelled wrong and everything.

How do you unlock the special classes, anyways? I managed to get the arena unlocked, but that one made sense. I also got the summoner class unlocked, but I have no idea how I did it. I think I watched an enemy summon something?

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

http://te4.org/wiki/unlockables is the list I found. Usually it looked like to unlock the classes, it's just a matter of completing a quest that introduces the lore of the class.

One thing to note is that all of the different categories of classes utilize different resources.

The wilder's use Equilibrium, which is reverse mana basically, they have to keep it low or suffer spell failures.
Afflicted use Hate which is built and spent separately for the two classes, Doomed draw it form their enemies with a feed spell that's fire and forget. Cursed get it by fighting. Also afflicted have a cursed item motif, like Ashenzari from dungeon crawl.
Corrupters use Vim which Corruptors drain with spells, and Reavers do something. I haven't tried them.
Celestials have positive and negative energy' some spells cost one element and build the other. I haven't got them unlocked yet.
Chronomancers use paradox, which builds with each ability. The higher it is, the stronger your powers are, but you run the risk of failure or backlash.
I haven't tried Psionics yet, either. They looked a bit complex.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Arrhythmia posted:

How do you unlock the special classes, anyways? I managed to get the arena unlocked, but that one made sense. I also got the summoner class unlocked, but I have no idea how I did it. I think I watched an enemy summon something?

It seems that you kind of just stumble on the unlocks as you go. I got one for killing a certain big enemy, and another one from "use"ing a drop that I got from another. Seems pretty fun.

Jowy
Dec 4, 2007

Jesus Christ, it's a Pyro!

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

I must say I always thought ToME to be a really poorly designed, gaudy, needlessly complicated roguelike (GOLD: 52.80) and no doubt it's still hilariously idiosyncratic and broken but DarkGod, for all his sins, is really working hard on this. I'll give it another go.

That ASCII tileset is still revolting. Has nobody learned anything from Brogue?

What exactly is needlessly complicated about ToME?

Big Sean
Jan 17, 2010

Regarding roguelike difficulty balancing, I actually thought the game was more balanced with adventurer mode in mind - interesting if that isn't the case. I don't say that as sour grapes, I did finally bank a (0 death) roguelike win with an archmage after about 100 hours of playing.

And it was a fun trip - I'm very impressed by the game's quality overall. But if felt like a lot of the game features (ambushes, farportals) were to be avoided at all costs simply because they had too much potential to be too dangerous.

I guess my point is that the RNG still feels too volatile to me on roguelike - e.g. before I learned to always get 100% stun resistance ASAP, I got killed in the temple of creation by a naga who happened to spawn with a ~300 damage acid rune and critted me twice (rush crit, rune, hit crit), all on the turn that my autocasted shield happened to be down.

Or maybe my point is just that this game is hard.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

Nah, I hear ya. Rush specifically is something I've pestered DarkGod to nerf because it's to easy for it to turn into an insta-kill.

But the goal of the game is to balance around roguelike difficulty. I won't say it's there yet but every beta it gets better and better. When I first started playing every stun was practically an insta-kill. Now it's been toned down so it's a serious debuff instead of X turns of basically being paralyzed.

So frustrating and unfair deaths will happen but every iteration I feel they're less common. Maybe adventurer is the way to go until all the kinks get ironed out, but the design intent isn't for the game to be balanced around the player taking a few cheesy deaths here and there. It should be 100% beatable through careful and smart play without ever dying... and for the most part it is right now but there's still a few things that go against that philosophy that need to be better balanced.

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at Jan 1, 2012 around 04:00

blazing_ion
Jul 11, 2008

Are any of you using Mac OS X 10.5.8? I'm having issues making this work (none of the binaries I tried seem to run on my system and I'm having huge issues with compiling it) and would appreciate some help. If this is the wrong thread to post in, apologies. Direct me to some resource then. Thanks!

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

You can log on to IRC ion and see if you can get a hand with it. Tonight everyone seems pretty idle with it being New Years but there's a few Mac users usually around. If you can't get help tonight maybe tomorrow.

irc.rizon.net #tome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
~Oscar Wilde

Question, is it a known bug that if you're playing the alchemist, and you complete certain quests (the one I had was one of the "escort to the portal" ones) while having your golem selected, the reward goes to the golem? I opted to get the divination tree as a reward, and it ended up on my golem he got no tree points, and after that he only gained generic points (and both of his trees are class).

«253 »