Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«253 »
Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

I love asking this question:

Just got the game, what are some suggestions for someone starting out this series but has played a bunch of Dungeon Crawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005
элита хакера

I do kinda miss the days of hydra scumming my hermit hobbit wizard in the swamp south of Bree. However, this is a way less tedious game to play and I don't miss writing macros to avoid M-b-a-a-*-5 every time I wanted to zap something.

b0lt
Apr 28, 2005

Rexicon1 posted:

Just got the game, what are some suggestions for someone starting out this series but has played a bunch of Dungeon Crawl.

Archers are fairly straightforward once you figure out that aim + steady shot is incredible. Once you unlock skeletons, they're even more hilarious.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Woohoo - I just won for the first time ever, last night! Level 50 dwarf sun paladin, with way, way, way too much armor and healing and defensive talents and only barely enough offense. The final bosses took almost an hour for me to whittle down . Sadly, due to me accidentally losing the macguffin earlier, I died in my ending. But, it still counted as a victory!

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...

Trabisnikof posted:

I do kinda miss the days of hydra scumming my hermit hobbit wizard in the swamp south of Bree. However, this is a way less tedious game to play and I don't miss writing macros to avoid M-b-a-a-*-5 every time I wanted to zap something.

Yeah this almost needs to be in the OP.
"Is this the game where /some moron keeps losing his sword/the princess is trapped by 16 brown molds/Maggot's dumb dogs took over his mushroom patch/I get to worship Melkor/there's town full of speed rings and dragon scale in the middle of orc-istan but the orcs all have bad credit?"

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

Read the walkthrough in the OP to know which low level dungeons to tackle in what order. You can play whatever you want. Bulwark is probably one of the easiest classes to play due to their survivability. I played Cornack/Dwarf Bulwark twice (both died) then moved on to a Dwarf Mindslayer and am having a blast with that class.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

One issue I have with roguelikes is right now my first play through I'm trying to figure out "Where to next? What should I do? What should I be striving for?" Playing a Dwarf Fighter, finished and killed the boss in the beginner maze. Trying to maybe follow this guys rambling guide.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

I updated the OP a bit. Mentioned that the game really isn't anything like tome 2 and put in a gameplay FAQs section listing a few easy race/class combos along with talking a bit about unlocks. If you guys think of anything else important for gameplay FAQs let me know (this is separate from the Technical FAQs section and should just be for gameplay stuff.)

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

Been playing this pretty consistently the past five days, gotten multiple characters to the L15-20 area but only one or two past that. Thus far, greatest success with Higher/Cornac Alchemists (why yes, I'll take ~300-500 damage alchemical bombs with a 5-square radius), a Halfling Archmage (Flame/Lightning/Manabeam for relentless earlygame offense), a Thaloren Cursed (Gloom and Weakness makes an awesome combo when it gets going) and right now a Cornac Reaver.

Thinking of switching back to an Alchemist and hoping for rescuing an early Sun Paladin for the elemental protection chant once this guy inevitably gets his head caved in by me not knowing where I should go (Alchemist died to the Temporal Rift (a level or two higher and I probably could've killed the boss, but alas), Archmage to the storm mage, the Thaloren Cursed to the halfling compound (MASTER ARCHERS AAAAAAH)... yeah. Past Daikara I don't feel as I've got a good a grasp on where to go and what to do at all; I thought I'd be fine in the Halfling Compound due to no warning but then all the arrows killed me dead.

Also yes this game is awfully enjoyable; why do you ask.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHnMDGIbFkc

Argh, was doing pretty well until I decided to take on the Human Tempest dude. As alchemist I reckon I could take him out with heat/gem portal to escape so long as he didn't freeze me with his first attack. Guess what he did!

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Torokasi posted:

Been playing this pretty consistently the past five days, gotten multiple characters to the L15-20 area but only one or two past that. Thus far, greatest success with Higher/Cornac Alchemists (why yes, I'll take ~300-500 damage alchemical bombs with a 5-square radius), a Halfling Archmage (Flame/Lightning/Manabeam for relentless earlygame offense), a Thaloren Cursed (Gloom and Weakness makes an awesome combo when it gets going) and right now a Cornac Reaver.

Thinking of switching back to an Alchemist and hoping for rescuing an early Sun Paladin for the elemental protection chant once this guy inevitably gets his head caved in by me not knowing where I should go (Alchemist died to the Temporal Rift (a level or two higher and I probably could've killed the boss, but alas), Archmage to the storm mage, the Thaloren Cursed to the halfling compound (MASTER ARCHERS AAAAAAH)... yeah. Past Daikara I don't feel as I've got a good a grasp on where to go and what to do at all; I thought I'd be fine in the Halfling Compound due to no warning but then all the arrows killed me dead.

Also yes this game is awfully enjoyable; why do you ask.

Halfling compound honestly seems like it's safer to do around 15ish, as at that level master archers don't spawn nearly as much, if at all. I often just skip the whole place, as after you unlock Yeeks there it's a bit too dangerous to be worth it. After Daikara, if you're 20+ish, you should feel out Dreadfell. Sadly, though, this place is inundated with master archers, and you have to learn how to deal with them or perish. Even by the endgame, master archers will still linger around, and somehow be more deadly than the most elite and high level orcish archers and even some orcish high level spellcasters. Heck, master archers nearly got me killed in the final boss fight.

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

Wolpertinger posted:

Halfling compound honestly seems like it's safer to do around 15ish, as at that level master archers don't spawn nearly as much, if at all. I often just skip the whole place, as after you unlock Yeeks there it's a bit too dangerous to be worth it. After Daikara, if you're 20+ish, you should feel out Dreadfell. Sadly, though, this place is inundated with master archers, and you have to learn how to deal with them or perish. Even by the endgame, master archers will still linger around, and somehow be more deadly than the most elite and high level orcish archers and even some orcish high level spellcasters. Heck, master archers nearly got me killed in the final boss fight.

I'll keep that in mind on my next character. Right now I'm 23+ so it sounds like a bad idea to venture in that direction.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005
THIS CUSTOM TITLE WILL COME IN HANDY WHILE LURKING

notwithoutmyanus posted:

really?

I found Bill to be much harder to handle than the boss at the end of the dwarf intro (although bills a bonus it's still trollmire), actually - especially due to much less mobility to run around.

I find the dwarf boss to be not even a threat, basically. activate defensive cooldowns immediately, do whatever you can to the boss, fight in a way so you can back off into your teammate.

I'm not counting Bill since he's totally optional. Maybe my problem was that I was playing a Wyrmic and they seem pretty worthless at level 1-4 or so. The way I finally managed to get through was by sacrificing my bro and just running past the boss to the exit. Then I breezed through Trollmire and Scintillating caverns, came back and destroyed him.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I thought I was hot poo poo. My golem never died and dealt out around 100 damage per hit in melee, more with the eye lasers. I ran through Daikara eating giants like popcorn.

Holy poo poo that boss reminded me of humility.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Digging my new Dwarf Wyrmic. Playing him tanky like my Bulwark, although I'm definitely missing the actual shield defense skills. And the fact that my Bulwark immediately looted a life leeching axe from the first boss. Any suggestions on early skill picks? I'm about level 8 now, I've been raising armor training, icy skin, grabbed swallow and bellowing roar, and a few points in the shield tree. Also some stuff in the Combat Veteran tree.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

edit: ^^ aside from what I said below these picks look good (except maybe bellowing roar but I think that may have been buffed since the last time I played with it, it used to be terrible compared to the confusion talent in the two-handed tree).

For you guys playing wyrmics make sure to put a point in Lightning Form or whatever it's called (the first one in the storm drake tree). It's basically the wyrmic escape talent but can also be used offensively to close.

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at Jan 4, 2012 around 02:09

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005
THIS CUSTOM TITLE WILL COME IN HANDY WHILE LURKING

Am I the only one who thinks the wyrmic swallow skill is hilarious? I'm imagining my dude running around unhinging his jaw, swallowing badnits, slurping up sandworms and crunching down trees. That said it doesn't actually seem that good. The healing is kinda piddly and I've never felt like the equilibrium bonus was that helpful.

edit: \/\/\/\/yeah, it's probably worth at least one point just to open up the other sandworm stuff. I think there's also an achievement for eating a bunch of bosses.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at Jan 4, 2012 around 02:21

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the wyrmic swallow skill is hilarious? I'm imagining my dude running around unhinging his jaw, swallowing badnits, slurping up sandworms and crunching down trees. That said it doesn't actually seem that good. The healing is kinda piddly and I've never felt like the equilibrium bonus was that helpful.

I took it mostly because I want to get the AOE blind later.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

GOOOOOOOOOOONS!

Is it worth putting more than one point into assault as a Bulwark? I'm looking at it, and the crits really shine, but as far as I can tell the only thing that levels up when I put points in is how much damage the shield does, and I already have shield bash for that.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Something that has been bothering me: I noticed when I get item bonuses to stats, it allows me to gain skills with the bonus stat. For example, I equipped a +2 str ring, bringing my archer to 18 Str and allowing me to get Armour Training. If I train this, and then unequip the ring (dropping me below the required stat), do I lose the benefits?

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

You can equip gear to basically cheat stat requirements yes.

Swallow scales with monster level. So later on it actually becomes much more affective. Sand Breath is also really really good, especially late game.

Assault is worth putting more then one point into if you have extra talent points. Early on I think one point is enough.

Frog Assassin
Oct 29, 2011

We had it all wrong. He's not a frog killer, he's a killer frog.

Just tried this for the first time. Rolled an elven archer in roguelike mode and poked around in a forest for a bit before running into a boss and getting stomped. Death one of many I'm sure.

Only played for about 30 minutes but it seemed fun and I'm gonna start a new guy tomorrow when I have time. If you're a roguelike fan but on the fence about it I say go ahead and give it a try because it's fast and easy to pick up the basics, so even if it's not your gig there's no real time lost.

Scrubber
Feb 23, 2001
I'm just arguing for leniency; all she did was kill her friend.

It is very impressive how much this game has improved.

In some ways it now feels more fun than crawl.

But the balance is definitely still a little rough for roguelike difficulty. My Bulwark was almost never challenged at all up to level 13ish, then he met an adventurer party --> fearscape --> dead to lava with very little he could have done about it.

And there is too much incentive to farm all the starter dungeons even when they're not threatening anymore. (there is a good chance at an artifact from each boss.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Tooth of the Mouth plus Icy Skin and another damage-when-hit item is making my Wyrmic murder everything. God drat.

e: gently caress YES, Norgos just gave me the life drain axe (Skullcleaver) my Bulwark had.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at Jan 4, 2012 around 03:48

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

Is it worth putting more than one point into assault as a Bulwark?

The wording on the talent is misleading, and the damage bonus applies to all hits in the attack. I tested it last time I had a wyrmic going. It is a very devastating attack.

Sleepwalker
Nov 30, 2007
Mr. Self Destruct

Are all of the tier 1 dungeons available to every character? I can't find Norgos' lair, kinda frustrating. Rocking a human bulwark, and they're pretty insane. Gonna mess around with an archmage next, I think - any tips?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Heyyy watch it chief

Scrubber posted:

And there is too much incentive to farm all the starter dungeons even when they're not threatening anymore.

Agreed. One of the design goals is to discourage grinding but you can still get a level or so plus loot per starter boss after you do your own race's starter dungeons and the next tier of dungeons are much easier if you do take the time to clear everything else first, so I find myself doing so every game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

GOOOOOOOOOOONS!

Sleepwalker posted:

Are all of the tier 1 dungeons available to every character? I can't find Norgos' lair, kinda frustrating. Rocking a human bulwark, and they're pretty insane. Gonna mess around with an archmage next, I think - any tips?

Norgos' lair, and the Heart of the Gloom are both tricky to find, because the path that leads to them is only one tile wide, and it zig-zags so you can't see down it. No one except dwarves have access to the dwarven dungeons, but besides that, you should be able to find it. If you're really having difficulty, start a Wood-elf (I can't remember what this game calls them) then find your way to Derth, and then backtrack on your human.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Whoops. Didn't column dance right in the slaver camp, died as a level 8 dwarf bulwark, but hey, I unlock that Cursed class!!

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010

I think berserker is a lot more fun than Bulwark. You kill things faster and are generally a madman. Also you have a stun that has a longer stun duration than its cooldown so you can lol at bosses. And an AoE that does over 150% weapon damage to every square around you (at level 1). Berserkers just rule.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Speaking of, I just got into this game (quite a refreshing change from other roguelikes so far) and am playing a berserker. Probably making a total mess of things - is there anything in particular I should focus on? How high should I get my armor skill? I'm level 12 and it's still at 2 heh, with berserk on I have <10 each of defense+armor, I got *rocked* by a ranom worldmap encounter of a small dungeon full of assassin type mobs, but everything else has been pretty doable. I've been focusing mainly on offense, maxed out Berserk already and got a lot of points in the +accuracy +damage generic talents. I can kill poo poo mega quick but anything with decent damage output that can go toe to toe for more than a few turns really puts a hurt on me. I just now got a new 200hp regen infusion though so that should help.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

The confusion talent (Warshout I believe) is really good and something I would max eventually.

The Bloodthirst tree is practically a requirement for keeping a Berserker alive. It was put in as the answer to Berserker survivability issues. If you have a category point you want to put it there. If you already spent your level 10 category point you'll want to pick it up at level 20 and save some class talent points so you can dump points into it right away.

Bloodbath you'll want to max out first followed by Mortal Terror for the increased crit chance and daze. Bloodrage is okay but I'd only put one point into it at first (maybe invest further in it if you feel the need later on). Unstoppable is good for emergencies but costs a lot of stamina so be mindful of that.

e: Also I believe all the regen talents in the combat veteran tree are multiplied when Bloodbath goes off. So you may want to max those too. Quick Recovery and Fast Metabolism to be more specific.

oneliquidninja fucked around with this message at Jan 4, 2012 around 09:35

lonters run around
Oct 25, 2011

by T. Mascis

I noticed some weapons (and armor?) are grey and don't tell me how much damage they do and what stats they give.
For example on my alchecmist golem.. his starter axe doesn't display any damage range. What gives?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHnMDGIbFkc

They are un-id'ed. Give them to your main character. And if they stay un'ided, activate the scry ability on your scrying item.

lonters run around
Oct 25, 2011

by T. Mascis

Then it must be a bug that I can compare it with other weapons (by holding down ctrl) and figure what it does?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

again, use the scryer (artifact) to identify them.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Out of curiosity, what's with the orb that must be used to id artifacts that connects you to some sort of unicorn loving 12 year old girl?

Given the lack of iding elsewhere, this seems an... odd inclusion, to say the least.

*giggles*

Big Sean
Jan 17, 2010

Really enjoying my Skelly Corrupter so far (though realizing I should have taken celestial light when I got the chance).

Using fearscape to push the master around like a little girl was extremely satisfying after all the trouble I've gotten from that guy on other characters.

Nagual
Dec 16, 2003
Barum?-Dorum!

Yay it works on my other PC, now I can play as well!

Just started a Berserker and basically breezing through trollmire without any challenge ... haven't met the boss yet though. Playing the complete opposite of what good roguelike behavior should be, just runninng in until I'm surrounded and then death dancing anything to gibs. fun fun.

I think I'll restart though because I forgot to switch to permadeath instead of that adventure mode, and I want my roguelikes unforgiving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

I'd really like to try playing a necromancer. What race is good for that?

«253 »