Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«253 »
WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Klaus Kinski posted:

1) Death

2) Run for the stairs. Seriously. It's not worth fighting them unless you manage to catch the dreadmaster early before he has filled the level with dreads.

3) 100% randomized dungeon around your level. At high levels the bosses can generate with some absolutely hilarious skillsets.

Dreadmasters are dicks, having a dreadmaster spawn with the master sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue
May 10, 2002

Is there any chance of surviving the orc ambush after you kill the Master? I was actually doing really well and had killed quite a few of them, teleporting around and using shielding and stuff.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.

^^ Yup, it's winnable. Though you're not expected to win people do it and there is a reward for it.

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

You actually can recall out of the farportal, but once you do it breaks the farportal for that character and it can't be used again.

Not always but I believe the chance is quite high (like 70% or greater).

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Happylisk posted:

Man, after dreadfall things get a lot easier. I'm sure I'll change my tune once I get to the Prides. I currently only have 3 infusion slots, and one was going to teleport. Between all the TW abilities that was probably overkill, so I put a nice 350 shield rune there. Much more durable now.

I have a few gear questions, given that Vor Armory has given me some choices. First, how long is the temporal warden sword/dagger set good for? I've been using for some time, but now I've found a vile voratun mace of shearing (47-65, +50 slime, some other goodies), as well as Razorblade. No great daggers though. Should I stick with the set for now?

I also found the temporal augmentation robe. I love the temporal penetration on this thing, but I've never had a melee character not using heavy armor. On the other hand, with the TW sword and dagger + the robe I'd have 25% temporal penetration, and with the 20% temporal resist + a pearl (I unlocked stone alchemy) + damage smearing I'd be able to mitigate a lot of damage. On the other hand, armor takes a big hit.

1. I'd heavily recommend unlocking at least a 4th infusion slot, if not both. As a warden you don't have any innate forms of healing or shielding (aside from damage smearing which isn't really related but whatever) so I'd at the very least recommend 2 shields, a heal and a regen (plus an high resist all physical wild infusion - I've got one that reduces all damage by 30% and cures physical. It's saved me more times than my shields or heals have.

2. Slime weapons are great, it causes 30% slow and is rarely resisted (it's considered nature damage). If it has +slime damage when hit then it's even better. Ultimately the most important stat for any TW weapon is attack speed. More strikes = more weapon folding.

3. Temporal penetration is handy, yes, but you'll lose a huge source of armor, which helps provide guarenteed damage reduction. With damage smearing, you want to pump your temporal resist as high as possible, possibly at the expense of other resists. That way, at the resist cap you'll only be taking 1/3rd the normal damage, then split over 6 turns. Max thick skin as quickly as possible too.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Random question though: What's the deal with Cold damage versus Ice damage? It seems kind of an odd split that...

Ice damage is Cold damage that has a chance to freeze the target. There's a few more that are just other damage types with riders: Skullcleaver's lifedrain damage is blight damage that also heals you, and slime damage is nature damage that also slows a bit.

Rogue
May 10, 2002

oneliquidninja posted:

^^ Yup, it's winnable. Though you're not expected to win people do it and there is a reward for it.

Cool, thanks. I think if I had resisted the blindness (SO MANY sun infusions) I might have had a good chance at it.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Rogue posted:

Cool, thanks. I think if I had resisted the blindness (SO MANY sun infusions) I might have had a good chance at it.

At least when this happens it blinds every other hostile in range too. Makes things much easier when you have blind immunity.

Rogue
May 10, 2002

nightwisher posted:

At least when this happens it blinds every other hostile in range too. Makes things much easier when you have blind immunity.

Great point, that totally would have kicked rear end.

So now I'm in the Far East for the first time Can I open up all the shops in the first town or should I wait like I did originally for the shops?

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

I got stuck in the temporal rift - one of the vortex things teleported me into an area with no exit. Rod of recall doesn't work, and suiciding via summons exploding just put me back in the same place. Is there any way out of this? Perhaps savefile editing? I'd hate to give this guy up, summoner's been a lot of fun so far.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Is the addon subforum the best place to find mods like additional races and classes, or is there some other directory somewhere with a better list?

Also, do I have to play on normal to unlock races and classes? Or can I play on easy?

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

@Osmosisch - If you turn on the debug console you can teleport with control + right mouse click. Instructions on turning on debug mode are in the OP (at the bottom I believe in spoilers).

Aristobulus posted:

Is the addon subforum the best place to find mods like additional races and classes, or is there some other directory somewhere with a better list?

Also, do I have to play on normal to unlock races and classes? Or can I play on easy?

Add-ons are fairly new so things are still sparse. There's not really a better list yet I don't think because there's no link to the add-ons on the te4.org website yet (it's being overhauled).

You can unlock classes and races on adventurer. On exploration mode not everything is unlockable (some unlocks are tied to achievements.)

e: Apparently I'm blind http://te4.org/tome/addons

TattoosAndTenacity
Jul 5, 2006
Like boots or hearts...

This is a pretty fun roguelike! Compared to Stone Soup, I really enjoy the fact that there is no hoarding. I read the OP and I have to agree, the whole talent system makes the game a lot more enjoyable.

Had a great time taking my Dwarf Warrior through the beginning stages with Amon Amarth wailing away in the background.

After a few bad rolls, I've been enjoying adventure mode. I find the "free" lives they give you are spread out enough to still keep you nervous as hell, but let you find out about the world... which seems huge. The boss in Kor'Pul complete destroyed me. Is there any hints when a boss level is coming up? I definitely wasn't prepared for a level 7 skeleton mage... ouch.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

He felt the pressure of her love as she squeezed his fingers, and then there was nothing. Except the pain. But nothing else, no Heather, no hospital, no staff men, no light. And no sound. It was an eternal moment and it absorbed him completely.

TattoosAndTenacity posted:

The boss in Kor'Pul complete destroyed me. Is there any hints when a boss level is coming up? I definitely wasn't prepared for a level 7 skeleton mage... ouch.
I think every boss is on the last level, unless you encounter a unique rarely. Most dungeons are 3-5 levels in length. You usually won't really know how long a dungeon is the first time through, though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005
THIS CUSTOM TITLE WILL COME IN HANDY WHILE LURKING

Just won with an Antimagic Halfling Mindslayer. Some thoughts: I wish I had gone Cornac, Mindslayers are possibly the most generic and cat point intensive class in the game, and antimagic makes it even worse. I should have planned out my build a bit in advance, at the end I sort of won by having a big mishmash of powerful stuff rather than a cohesive build. Charging through walls is fun but leap is the real winner in the mobility tree, the energy cost of charge is just to high to use it much. Despite the antimagic tree being great and Witchbane and Guidance being amazing, antimagic still feels like a challenge playthrough due to no runes and missing out on so many good items. By the end of the game I had ~50% resist all and a random temporal warden boss in high peak was still able to teleport next to me, haste, and kill me in one turn. This is the first character I won with and actually found a stralite amulet for Limnir to enchant, the result did not disappoint (I've never found a plain voratun amulet).

http://te4.org/characters/10387/tom...cd-393ad4d86575

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at Feb 25, 2012 around 08:44

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

oneliquidninja posted:

@Osmosisch - If you turn on the debug console you can teleport with control + right mouse click. Instructions on turning on debug mode are in the OP (at the bottom I believe in spoilers).

Thanks a lot! That did the trick. Will this mess with achievements/unlocking? I've turned cheat mode off again after saving.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

I have ascended the mountain of idiocy.

I simply stopped thinking for a brief, critical span of moments and took a Paradox Mage, heavily Paradox dmg spec, that all was going well with into the Temporal Rift.

Once you do it one time, you will never again. I guess if I'd gone gravity heavy then maybe, or somehow had ridiculous resistance penetration.

I also managed to finally do decent enough with an Ice Wyrmic, right up until actually dying to the Arena Master Boss for the first time with any character that I can recall---also apparently managing the Simultaneous Death achievement in the deed.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

^^ This has been changed a bit for next beta. The first level of the rift is still elementals but the rest of the zone has temporal horrors instead. This was done specifically so Paradox Mages didn't have to spec so heavily into gravity to do the Rift (or at all if you don't mind running through the Zero-G area). It's also more thematic in my opinion

Osmosisch posted:

Thanks a lot! That did the trick. Will this mess with achievements/unlocking? I've turned cheat mode off again after saving.

It flags the save as having cheated but it won't kick the character out of the vault or prevent unlocks to my knowledge (I could be wrong though). I think it's just for development tracking mostly.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

What can stop a level 43 Dwarf Temporal Warden with insaneballs equipment? A flurrying ShadowBlade farportal boss that's what.

That's what I get for scumming for voratun equipment to extract gems from to get merchant randarts.

E: http://te4.org/characters/15234/tom...62-c7e172846a75

I liked that cloak.

Happylisk fucked around with this message at Feb 25, 2012 around 18:45

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Would anyone have any idea how to install this addon some guy made on the forums - http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=31518

I tried extracting it into the addons folder but that didn't seem to work.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Aristobulus posted:

Would anyone have any idea how to install this addon some guy made on the forums - http://forums.te4.org/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=31518

Putting in in the addons folder and renaming it from "tome-whateveraddon.zip" to "tome-whateveraddon.teaa" should work. If you have any other addons, it might conflict with one of them.

EDIT: Also, it doesn't affect wyrmics that already exist, only newly-generated wyrmics. If you want to try the new talents out you have to make a new character.

Glidergun fucked around with this message at Feb 26, 2012 around 05:04

Jowy
Dec 4, 2007

Jesus Christ, it's a Pyro!

Aristobulus posted:

I think my favorite part about this add-on is that it makes one of the few classes that actually uses 2-handers into yet another dual-wielding class.

(not that I don't like it; I think it sounds pretty neat!)

Doniazade
Jul 13, 2006

by T. Finninho

This game is the best roguelike I've played since ADOM. I really love the itemization with no scrolls and potions, because managing twenty or so of those fuckers is one of the most annoying aspects of other roguelikes. It would be nice if it was a bit more obvious that gray items were unidentified and not broken though, because it took me like six plays until I realized that it was pretty dumb to be throwing those away

Doniazade fucked around with this message at Feb 26, 2012 around 09:14

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Has anyone noticed that the Assassin Lord is sometimes bugged, in that every now and then everyone is hostile the moment you come down the stairs?

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

^^ I think he doesn't like Celestials (anorithil, sun paladins)

Found myself admiring the new UI as I walked into Last Hope so figured I'd take a b38 preview screen shot.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Personally I think it looks like 90s era crpg with all the tacky textures on things like resource bars, seems like a step backwards from the current gen of clean functional UIs but this is just my impression from looking at a screenshot.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

Yeah, the textures on the bars could use some work but all of that stuff is movable and can be resized and aside from those textures needing a bit more 'pop' I think it looks great.

The old UI is still an option though for people that prefer it.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Does the old ui do better performance wise in the next beta?

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

oneliquidninja posted:

^^ I think he doesn't like Celestials (anorithil, sun paladins)

Found myself admiring the new UI as I walked into Last Hope so figured I'd take a b38 preview screen shot.

This happened just now with a celestial, but it's happened to me before when I hadn't unlocked them yet. Oh well, a could reminder that anorithil's need wild infusions asap.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

Klaus Kinski posted:

Does the old ui do better performance wise in the next beta?

I don't know. The new UI does though. I haven't checked to see if the old one is running faster.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

Speaking of b38

b38 Changelog and Download Link

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005
THIS CUSTOM TITLE WILL COME IN HANDY WHILE LURKING

oneliquidninja posted:

Speaking of b38

b38 Changelog and Download Link

Awesome, can't wait to check it out.

e: buffed Witchbane fore antimagic users? Was it not good enough already

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at Feb 27, 2012 around 01:19

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Just gave it a skim and it sounds great. No fix for the Summoner's melee creature problem, though?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Ghost of Starman posted:

Just gave it a skim and it sounds great. No fix for the Summoner's melee creature problem, though?

Looks like someone is working on an addon for that.

Gils
Aug 23, 2008

take it smugly

Those are a ton of changes.
How long does it usually take for the updated Mac version?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

quote:

Wearing an item with charges/cooldown will reset them to 0 to prevent abuse

German Joey will not be happy

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

That sounds really, really lame and pretty much makes keeping such items around pretty pointless.

Okita
Aug 31, 2004
King of toilets.

That slime nerf is going to make my Yeek Brawler very unhappy(I will admit it was pretty strong). I will have to find a new mechanic to abuse to allow my self-handicapped characters to succeed.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Weapon folding applies double the set damage for bows now. I wonder if that'll counteract spin fate getting nerfed...

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

So goodbye staffs and amulets of teleportation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

So goodbye staffs and amulets of teleportation?

Unless they're good enough that you'd want to wear them in any case, I guess.

«253 »