Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«253 »
pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Rascyc posted:

I really wish you could customize the interface to show multiple action bars.

I think that's coming in b38, though I might be wrong.

The Moon Monster posted:

You definitely level up by entering floors 2 and 3 of the dwarf starting area, although that's the only case I can think of.

Yeah, the rationale there is that it stops you having to worry about your partner stealing all your experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Rascyc posted:

I really wish you could customize the interface to show multiple action bars.

I did this, but I don't remember how I did it :V

Poke around in the options, theres a way to expand the displayed hotbar field, enough to show a ton of keys.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

I just realized you can unlearn your Class Talents at character creation and spend the points elsewhere

Gils
Aug 23, 2008

take it smugly

lonters run around
Oct 25, 2011

by T. Mascis

Is there a way to micro-manage my summons/golems whatever? I have a golem that I'd like to, in certain situations, choose what to do every single turn while also controlling my alchemist. But when I switch to the golum and make a move the alchemist just does nothing that turn.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Diet Evil, only one Calorie

lonters run around posted:

Is there a way to micro-manage my summons/golems whatever? I have a golem that I'd like to, in certain situations, choose what to do every single turn while also controlling my alchemist. But when I switch to the golum and make a move the alchemist just does nothing that turn.
I think you can right click on the golem portrait and access its logic priorities? There's definitely a system there that you can customize, I ran into the menu once on my Alchemist but didn't mess with it too much.

lonters run around
Oct 25, 2011

by T. Mascis

Rascyc posted:

I think you can right click on the golem portrait and access its logic priorities? There's definitely a system there that you can customize, I ran into the menu once on my Alchemist but didn't mess with it too much.
I don't have the game here, it runs so horribly on my laptop, but I think right clicking does nothing. If you left click while it's out of sight you get a logic menu. But what I want is to manually control it while also manually controlling myself. I don't see any good gameplay/balancing reasons for it not being possible.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHnMDGIbFkc

Right click the golem itself (on the main game screen) and from the drop down menu choose give orders.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Salarymen can protect the peace too!

lonters run around posted:

I don't have the game here, it runs so horribly on my laptop, but I think right clicking does nothing. If you left click while it's out of sight you get a logic menu. But what I want is to manually control it while also manually controlling myself. I don't see any good gameplay/balancing reasons for it not being possible.

The golem is effectively a second character in terms of power level(in fact it's substantially stronger than the alchemist himself at low levels), balanced by the fact that it's AI controlled so it sometimes makes suboptimal decisions. You're able to control it for precision at the cost of your own abilities. Giving precise control over both the alchemist and the golem would be pretty brokenly powerful, since you're effectively allowing the player to have two full characters at once.

Alch is already in the running for easiest/strongest class in the game.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Holy poo poo, I just noticed this thread. I didn't play ToME much, but I did play a lot of TomeNet with my friend. The real-time nature of things unfortunately put a sort of upper bound on how far I could go before I got my poo poo wrecked, but it was a lot of fun. I had no idea this was still in active development.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Honestly I think I'd rather play this game in adventurer mode the more I play, because you get so much fun stuff after the early areas that it's so soulcrushing to lose all your toys and have to redo the first hour or two.

Kanos posted:

The golem is effectively a second character in terms of power level(in fact it's substantially stronger than the alchemist himself at low levels), balanced by the fact that it's AI controlled so it sometimes makes suboptimal decisions. You're able to control it for precision at the cost of your own abilities. Giving precise control over both the alchemist and the golem would be pretty brokenly powerful, since you're effectively allowing the player to have two full characters at once.

Alch is already in the running for easiest/strongest class in the game.
Yeah pets are pretty gross all around. Summoner is brutally loving good. I did the antimage quest by accident at level 12, and someone told me that's pretty much a level 20 quest and I believe it. My game crashed before I could leave town so I had to redo the fight and died against the final corrupter, but I had a blood of life and was able to salvage the fight after the death.

Now I have an infusion of movement to make a poor substitute for no teleport but it's pretty solid all around.

Zereth
Jul 8, 2003

Gils posted:

After drinking it, when you go to the 'game over' screen (the one with options like character dump, restart, etc), there's a 'use blood of life' option at the top. It's better than an extra life because you come in with full health and they still have whatever stats they had when you died.
On the other hand if they completely murdered you an Adventurer style extra life is better becuase you can use it to slink away and do something else instead of popping back up right where you died.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Zereth posted:

On the other hand if they completely murdered you an Adventurer style extra life is better becuase you can use it to slink away and do something else instead of popping back up right where you died.

Haha, yeah right.

"I know I can beat that boss this time, I'll be at full HP and resources "

Rexides fucked around with this message at Jan 5, 2012 around 21:58

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Getting kind of tired of my game crashing mid dungeon. This time I thought I'd save half way through just to be on the safe side and it crashed on the save.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rascyc posted:

Getting kind of tired of my game crashing mid dungeon. This time I thought I'd save half way through just to be on the safe side and it crashed on the save.

Yeah, I would be way more likely to try more of this game if it weren't so crashy. I frequently have issues like "game is fine, then I tab out and have no response when I tab back in." It really is neat, just suffering from technical things like that.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Strange, I don't think I've crashed once so far. Might be a problem with certain hardware.

Anyone want to writeup how to unlock the various classes/races? In spoiler tags if necessary, I just don't want to cheat them in since it's fun to unlock them and have something to look forward to. So far I've discovered Archmage: From that apprentice on the world map with the quest for 10 staves/jewelery or an 1 artifact, and Cursed from the random quest north of the halfling town to save the lumberjack town. And you can get a new talent tree for Archmages by saving Derth from the storm elementals after level 10 then going to kill the mage that summoned them - hard even at 20

kHz
Nov 22, 2010

Indecisive posted:

Anyone want to writeup how to unlock the various classes/races? In spoiler tags if necessary, I just don't want to cheat them in since it's fun to unlock them and have something to look forward to.

There's a page on unlockables on the wiki.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Can't stop the funk.

I've never crashed either, but I play it in a window instead of full screen. Maybe try that?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Windows 7 64 bit, playing in a Window with a custom resolution. I alt-tab a lot and in the rare case where it hangs, it's on the alt-tab out.

I turned on auto save per dungeon level for now to minimize damage when it happens, I can handle that since it's pretty rare.

Lost my furthest character to the sand tunnels, cause I wasn't sure how they worked. Boy collapsed sand tunnels sure do a lot of damage. At least I know how it works now.

Gils
Aug 23, 2008

take it smugly

I guess this is pretty funny. I wanted to try a brawler because I couldn't figure out how they worked, so I decided to try it on easier mode so that I wouldn't just fall apart before level 10.

Ended up at level 46, dying to a boss ancient lich that I just couldn't outheal.
Also doing the sandworm lair at 42 because I lost my lantern when i went antimagic, and couldn't find one until I got several in the east.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005
THIS CUSTOM TITLE WILL COME IN HANDY WHILE LURKING

Just had a pretty awful bug. I was fighting The Twin bosses in the temporal rift version of lake Nur I had one almost dead, and then I attacked/moved onto its afterimage and suddenly the game's bug report screen came up. I deal with that, then get back to the game. I try to finish the boss off with assault, but I end up attacking myself, killing myself from like 75% hp. I'm on adventurer mode so I use a life and come back. But now, none of my targeted abilities work at all.

There's no way I can beat the bosses with just autoattacks, and as far as I know there's no other way to exit that area (it's one of those places where the eidolon doesn't give you the option of being sent somewhere else). All in all a fairly unsatisfying end to my best character yet.

Quick question, whats the reward for rescuing the sacrifice victim from that crypt full of elf mages encounter?

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

After playing archers and casters, I rolled a Bulwark and this is just hilarious. I got lucky with a shield that reflected 14 damage to the attacker pretty early, then I got a +3 defense ring that reflected another 6 damage to the attacker, some boots that gave me the Evasion skill, and a cloak with +6 defense and +all saves.

I can just rest/cast Regen for a bunch of turns in the middle of a huge dogpile of enemies and they'll all kill themselves to reflected damage before I die.

And then I got an artifact Club and some artifact gloves that both have some ridiculous warrior stats.

I feel unstoppable.

Blunt Force Trauma fucked around with this message at Jan 5, 2012 around 23:58

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Rascyc posted:

Windows 7 64 bit, playing in a Window with a custom resolution. I alt-tab a lot and in the rare case where it hangs, it's on the alt-tab out.

I turned on auto save per dungeon level for now to minimize damage when it happens, I can handle that since it's pretty rare.

Lost my furthest character to the sand tunnels, cause I wasn't sure how they worked. Boy collapsed sand tunnels sure do a lot of damage. At least I know how it works now.

what graphics card? I can't help but wonder if it's my ati card that's crashing.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at Jan 5, 2012 around 23:56

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

what graphics card? I can't help but wonder if it's my ati card that's crashing.
Just my integrated graphics on the laptop I was playing on.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

kHz posted:

There's a page on unlockables on the wiki.

Ah, well, to be fair, after looking at a bunch of pages yesterday and finding worthless/outdated info I quit checking it Thanks

Gils
Aug 23, 2008

take it smugly

Indecisive posted:

Ah, well, to be fair, after looking at a bunch of pages yesterday and finding worthless/outdated info I quit checking it Thanks

The wiki's not really maintained, I guess, but even the outdated stuff can give you a good idea of where to go. Like looking at class pages: some of the talent might have changed, but the basic suggested way to play a class hasn't really changed since someone wrote the page during an earlier edition.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

A strange bug has surfaced in my game: Whenever I press "m" to look at my talents the game spams the message box about using, activating and deactivating talents and shows a bunch of them as unavailable in the talent menu. This also causes paradox effects to happen. Redownloading the client fixed nothing. What the hell broke?

EDIT: no other hotkeys are set to m

Tonfa fucked around with this message at Jan 6, 2012 around 02:11

Scrubber
Feb 23, 2001
I'm just arguing for leniency; all she did was kill her friend.

This game is pretty impressive but just to back up what I said about there being too much incentive to scum the lower level dungeons:

Not only did I get the Crooked Club 4/4 times I tried for it, I just got Blood of Life (I guess this is an extra life, pretty huge in a roguelike) off the weakest boss in the game, Norgos.

Nagual
Dec 16, 2003
Barum?-Dorum!

Just got the "the beast within" quest. Found the lumberjack village too, but am scared to enter as I'm only level 6. what kind of challenge should I expect? What's a good level to do that?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

When I played there was a single level 10 melee based boss. It's probably doable at level 8 or so. You should see his temporal rift version.

Also, goddamn skeleton archers don't mess around. Bye bye level 22 Archmage character.

Fangz fucked around with this message at Jan 6, 2012 around 11:56

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

A few questions..

After a while with my melee character, equipment progression seems to just stop. I got a crooked club off the first boss and used it for a long time, and then after a while I just couldn't seem to find any new equipment.

This sort of ties into other questions - the world seems quite small. Are there other continents, worlds, etc?

When and where do the advanced materials items like dwarven steel and votarun or whatever start dropping?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Salarymen can protect the peace too!

Scrubber posted:

This game is pretty impressive but just to back up what I said about there being too much incentive to scum the lower level dungeons:

Not only did I get the Crooked Club 4/4 times I tried for it, I just got Blood of Life (I guess this is an extra life, pretty huge in a roguelike) off the weakest boss in the game, Norgos.

The stuff you get off the first few dungeon bosses can be helpful very early but is largely irrelevant once you get into the 20s, Blood of Life and Wintertide Vial(for the use effect) excepted. The level cap is 50, so put that in perspective. The levels you gain from it are actually more valuable than the equipment that drops.

Backov posted:

A few questions..

After a while with my melee character, equipment progression seems to just stop. I got a crooked club off the first boss and used it for a long time, and then after a while I just couldn't seem to find any new equipment.

This sort of ties into other questions - the world seems quite small. Are there other continents, worlds, etc?

When and where do the advanced materials items like dwarven steel and votarun or whatever start dropping?

The crooked club is one of the best early game weapons and will last until you find a nice slime-covered or dwarven-steel weapon with good mods easily. Your second question kind of answers your third.

HUGE GAME SPOILERS THAT LAY THE FLOW OF THE GAME OUT AHEAD
Once you complete the tower of Dreadfell, you talk to the elder of Last Hope to gain access to a previously inaccessible dungeon, Reknor. After fighting your way through Reknor you will gain access to the eastern continent, an entirely new continent with an entirely new set of dungeons that makes everything in the west look like playtime for weak little babies. There you will find that dwarven-steel is a weak metal, stralite is standard issue, and voratun is the good stuff. In addition, once you conquer the Sher'tul Fortress in the west, transmogrifying enough items gives you energy to activate Farportals, randomly generated dungeons with random enemies and potentially absolutely amazing loot, but the bosses that can be generated there can be character destroyers. If that's STILL not enough, there's optional uberbosses in places in the west like the Golem Graveyard. Game has a shitload of content.

Kanos fucked around with this message at Jan 6, 2012 around 13:28

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Backov posted:

A few questions..

You'll start seeing dwarven stuff in tier 2 dungeons (Maze, Old Forest etc) starting level 15ish I think (though its still pretty rare in stores at that point), the stuff after that is in the 20+ dungeons (stralite I think? only got a couple of em before I died). And there is more to the world eventually I think (not that I've seen it yet)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

There's a second continent, the Far East, which I haven't gotten to yet. Then after that you return from it and there are new bosses in each of the old dungeons.

Equipment drops to an extent scales to your level (reach level 15 or so and they start appearing), but you'll never see dwarven steel and stralite and stuff in the starter dungeons.

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.

Guh. Just hit M on my own Paradox Knight, got the whole "cast everything forever whoops paradox effect random teleport" Tonfa described. This is somewhat disconcerting.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I'm pretty sure my dwarf berserker won't be bothering with any of that voratun stuff, though. Observe his current weapon:

ToME posted:

The Gaping Maw (72-108 power, 4 apr)

This huge granite battleaxe is as much mace as it is axe. The shaft is made of blackened wood tightly bound in drakeskin leather and the sharpened granite head glistens with a viscous green fluid.

Requires: Strength 60

Uses stat: 120% Str
Damage type: Physical
Physical crit chance: +8%
Attack speed: 100%
Damage when this weapon hits: +50 slime / +50 acid

When wielded:
+6 Strength, +6 Willpower
+15% nature damage
Talents cooldown: Mana Clash (-2 turns), Ice Claw (-1 turn), Swallow (-2 turns)

The only way it could be better is if I were a wyrmic and could actually take advantage of the bonus to nature damage and cooldowns - but even then the bonus to crit chance is amazing on a berserker with bloodbath.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 6, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

I think Mana Clash is an Antimagic ability, so if you're going that route, there's that.

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

After playing archers and casters, I rolled a Bulwark and this is just hilarious...

And then I got an artifact Club and some artifact gloves that both have some ridiculous warrior stats.

Bulwarks are indeed hilarious. The Crooked Club is amazing, but if you haven't found Skullcleaver yet then you should clear out any low-level dungeons that you haven't already in hopes of finding it. The Crooked Club's combat stats are goddamn ridiculous, but I find that Skullcleaver is all around a better one-handed weapon, especially for a Bulwark - I actually do a bit more damage with it due to the extra Blight damage caused by the health drain, and the fact that it, you know, steals health is awesome. Add in the fact that it randomly uses that Greater Expertise skill that temporarily gives you a chance to instantaneously land an extra attack when you hit something, and you've got a weapon that can bring your Bulwark pretty darn close to total invincibility in melee for that part of the game.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at Jan 6, 2012 around 14:39

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

I don't understand what just happened, I went to the ruins because I wasn't quite ready for Bill, then I ran into some monster that looked like a skeleton with a bow and it killed my golem and me almost instantly, whereas nothing else was even really hurting us. The hell.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005
THIS CUSTOM TITLE WILL COME IN HANDY WHILE LURKING

goldjas posted:

I don't understand what just happened, I went to the ruins because I wasn't quite ready for Bill, then I ran into some monster that looked like a skeleton with a bow and it killed my golem and me almost instantly, whereas nothing else was even really hurting us. The hell.

Archers are like mages with an autoattack. You should probably make them top priority targets if you see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Skeleton archers are a rapetrain unless you have good armor, my mage bit it to one (not even a master archer) hitting me for 160 damage (2/3 of my life) at level 20 or whatever.

«253 »