Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

....how would he even find out the identities of people one particular police officer worked with? Did he just walk into the Squadroom while they were distracted by somebody being murdered and go into the filing cabinets?

It's SVU, he probably just had to show them his library card and they said, "Welp! They're public records! Here, study them in a conference room!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
According to the Law and Order Wiki, Benson has had at least three stalkers.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Jerusalem posted:

....how would he even find out the identities of people one particular police officer worked with? Did he just walk into the Squadroom while they were distracted by somebody being murdered and go into the filing cabinets?

The sad thing is this episode is from one of the better seasons.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

While being unemployed, USA shows on Tuesdays shows SVU and they were showing the 1st season. The early seasons really were the best and they just seemed to run out of ways to use Chris Meloni towards the end other than turning him psycho.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
It's criminal how little they use Munch these days. Whenever he has a B plot, he freaking runs with it.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!
The other day I saw the L&O where the female ADA (the one who succeeded Elisabeth Rohm and preceded Alana De La Garza) got kidnapped and murdered, and after spending most of 2010 living in NYC, my first thought on watching that scene was "What kind of Big Apple Fantasyland is she living in where you answer your door when someone knocks on it, without looking out the peephole to see who the hell it is first?" :confused: I wouldn't have done that in my small Midwestern hometown, never mind NYC.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Grandpa Pap posted:

The other day I saw the L&O where the female ADA (the one who succeeded Elisabeth Rohm and preceded Alana De La Garza) got kidnapped and murdered, and after spending most of 2010 living in NYC, my first thought on watching that scene was "What kind of Big Apple Fantasyland is she living in where you answer your door when someone knocks on it, without looking out the peephole to see who the hell it is first?" :confused: I wouldn't have done that in my small Midwestern hometown, never mind NYC.

This is a New York were there is murder and rape every where. I wonder what the body count is for all the law and orders.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 8, 2012

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

bobkatt013 posted:

This is a New York were there is murder and rape every where. I wonder what the body count is for all the law and orders.

It works much better if you just pretend it's like Archer, where cellphones and modern computers are nestled next to stuff like the Soviet Union and the Cold War. So it's basically the modern tech of today jostling for position within the NYC of the 1970s and 1980s. :v:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I'm okay with an any-means-necessary approach to get Annie Parrisse off the show.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Writer Cath posted:

It's criminal how little they use Munch these days. Whenever he has a B plot, he freaking runs with it.

Munch and Finn bouncing off each other in the early seasons is fantastic - Belzer and Ice-T have great chemistry together.

It's such a shame that since Chester Lake (That character was so dull, I'm still not sure what the point of him was. At least Brian Cassidy had a proper character arc during his appearances) came and left, the show still keeps them apart so often. At least Munch is getting more screentime this season; I think he was even outisde the office, on location earlier in the year.

A Munch and Finn spin-off after SVU ends, with them being private detectives or something would be amazing. It's really unlikely, but a man can dream, right? :allears: That, or a sitcom about them running a bar - Law and Order: Hapy Hour.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
How did i not hear about this episode of SVU from one of these threads. i dont normally watch them as they air, but usually hear about the crazy ones later on these threads. So I found it surprising when i randomly watched "Bully" in season 12, it may be my favorite crazy episode ever.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

MrDingleDangle posted:

How did i not hear about this episode of SVU from one of these threads. i dont normally watch them as they air, but usually hear about the crazy ones later on these threads. So I found it surprising when i randomly watched "Bully" in season 12, it may be my favorite crazy episode ever.

Is that the one with the dads forcing their kids to start a fight club, and betting on winners? Season 12 just kinda blurred into one for me. Aside from a few good monents (Munch cracking a case for the first time in...how long?), I found it a pretty dull season overall.

Jeremy Irons was good in his guest episodes, I guess.

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me

OldMemes posted:

Is that the one with the dads forcing their kids to start a fight club, and betting on winners? Season 12 just kinda blurred into one for me. Aside from a few good monents (Munch cracking a case for the first time in...how long?), I found it a pretty dull season overall.

Jeremy Irons was good in his guest episodes, I guess.

I think it's the one where the old lady pulls a Dwyer after she's caught abusing employees on tape

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching the episodes with Olivia's brother from a few years ago on USA, and Jesus I don't think it's possible to write a character so horribly inconsistently. She flips from believing him to accusing him of rape like, every other commercial break.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

OldMemes posted:

A Munch and Finn spin-off after SVU ends, with them being private detectives or something would be amazing. It's really unlikely, but a man can dream, right? :allears: That, or a sitcom about them running a bar - Law and Order: Hapy Hour.

Funny story, Munch ran a bar on the side during "Homicide".

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

He almost did on SVU as well.

Munch: Captain, Fin and I are thinking of going in on a bar. You wanna buy in?

Cragen: Well, gee John I don’t know, let me run it by the guys at my next AA meeting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

He shows up in "The Wire" (as Munch, of course) for a brief cameo, sitting in a bar complaining to the bartender that he used to own a bar and he knows how things work :)

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

jscolon2.0 posted:

I'm okay with an any-means-necessary approach to get Annie Parrisse off the show.

Her real name is Anne Cancelmi. Nominative Determinism at work y'all.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.

afro gunsou posted:

I think it's the one where the old lady pulls a Dwyer after she's caught abusing employees on tape

yes but more important its how the alcoholic opera singer is the key to solving the crime: they figure out that all opera singers gets drunk by pouring alcohol in their rear end and one opera singers son copied this to get a woman who was bleeding from the neck drunk

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Just spotted Michelle Hurd as a suspect on the original Law and Order episode "Entrapment", and Isabel Gillies in "Bad Girl". Spotting guest stars who became regulars later on is always amusing.

One of the downsides of no Stabler is that his family have been written out of the show. Say what you will about the constant "Stabler's daughter sure is crazy!" stories, but I thought that his wife was a fairly interesting character, especailly considering the L&O method of mostly only developing the characters via the cases they work on (story over character, I think Dick Wolf called it?).

Kathy is a better character than Benson's half brother, at least.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

OldMemes posted:

One of the downsides of no Stabler is that his family have been written out of the show. Say what you will about the constant "Stabler's daughter sure is crazy!" stories, but I thought that his wife was a fairly interesting character, especailly considering the L&O method of mostly only developing the characters via the cases they work on (story over character, I think Dick Wolf called it?).

I wish they actually incorporated the kids a little more which is strange for a tv show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldMemes posted:

She was pretty brutal in the early seasons, though. For a while there, it seemed like her only purpose was to be jealous of the closeness between Stabler and Benson and complain about it.

OldMemes posted:

especailly considering the L&O method of mostly only developing the characters via the cases they work on (story over character, I think Dick Wolf called it?).

Essentially, yes. Wolf liked to boast that Law & Order was "character-proof" and was bigger than any one actor. I believe he first said that around the time that he sacked Chris Noth and fans were grumbling.

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 17, 2012

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Timby posted:

Essentially, yes. Wolf liked to boast that Law & Order was "character-proof" and was bigger than any one actor. I believe he first said that around the time that he sacked Chris Noth and fans were grumbling.

I suppose the fact that SVU has had a big upswing in quality this season, despite losing the lead they had for 12 year in dissapointing circumstances is testimony for that.

Though the original show was never quite as good without Jerry Obach...(at least Jesse L. Martin, Sam Waterson and S.Epatha Merkerson were there to keep it up on the acting side. Hey, the show continued for six years after his death, most shows would have crumbled after losing such a well loved character and actor).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OldMemes posted:

Though the original show was never quite as good without Jerry Obach...(at least Jesse L. Martin, Sam Waterson and S.Epatha Merkerson were there to keep it up on the acting side. Hey, the show continued for six years after his death, most shows would have crumbled after losing such a well loved character and actor).

I would argue that shaking up the cast in Season 18 resulted in some episodes that would rival the absolute best of the Orbach / Bratt / Noth / Martin glory days. Linus Roache was amazing, and putting McCoy in the DA / politician role was a much-needed change of pace for the character, and it's remarkable that it only came about because Waterston was willing to take a pay cut and a smaller role in order to stay on the series, which was perilously close to cancellation after the ratings took a nosedive following the move to Friday nights. It took me a little while to warm up to Jeremy Sisto (for a while, it felt like they were trying too hard to make him Mike Logan 2.0), and I don't think he and Martin meshed particularly well, but once Anthony Anderson came aboard ... God drat, the series was firing on all cylinders like it was 1996 all over again.

Really, the only truly awful season was 17. There's no way to excuse the casting of Milena Govich -- she was terrible as an ADA on Conviction, and she was hilariously bad as a detective on Vanilla.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Timby posted:

I would argue that shaking up the cast in Season 18 resulted in some episodes that would rival the absolute best of the Orbach / Bratt / Noth / Martin glory days. Linus Roache was amazing, and putting McCoy in the DA / politician role was a much-needed change of pace for the character, and it's remarkable that it only came about because Waterston was willing to take a pay cut and a smaller role in order to stay on the series, which was perilously close to cancellation after the ratings took a nosedive following the move to Friday nights. It took me a little while to warm up to Jeremy Sisto (for a while, it felt like they were trying too hard to make him Mike Logan 2.0), and I don't think he and Martin meshed particularly well, but once Anthony Anderson came aboard ... God drat, the series was firing on all cylinders like it was 1996 all over again.

Really, the only truly awful season was 17. There's no way to excuse the casting of Milena Govich -- she was terrible as an ADA on Conviction, and she was hilariously bad as a detective on Vanilla.

Agree with this. By the time the show was cancelled I thought the cast had jelled really well and it made the cancellation even worst. I could understand cancelling during Farina (and Falco) as detectives era, but after that the new cast really worked well together.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The episode of SVU with Martin Short was just on and man oh man was he creepy in that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

New thread title -- I decided that it was time to give Jack McCoy a little title love.

TNT is being a bag of dicks today and showing Supernatural all day, so I'm spending my day off with a binge of Season 5. Just finished the episode with the doctor who was electrocuting autistic kids, and now moving into the episode with the priest who sexually abused Logan. Good grief, Vanilla was doing squicky long before SVU came onto the scene. :gonk:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fun fact about the autistic kid episode, the one who dies at the very beginning and kicks off the whole investigation was played by Steve Burns, aka "Steve" on Blues Clues.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Timby posted:

New thread title -- I decided that it was time to give Jack McCoy a little title love.

TNT is being a bag of dicks today and showing Supernatural all day, so I'm spending my day off with a binge of Season 5. Just finished the episode with the doctor who was electrocuting autistic kids, and now moving into the episode with the priest who sexually abused Logan. Good grief, Vanilla was doing squicky long before SVU came onto the scene. :gonk:

Fuuuuck. It's my monday ritual, since I've got mondays and tuesdays off. Grab a bottle of rum, and play video games while watch L&O for 5 hours.

And I like how even once McCoy made DA he was a prosecutor first, and a politician second. The episodes where he's campaigning for a second term he's obviously annoyed that he has to campaign in the first place and can't just continue on his quest for justice.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AA is for Quitters posted:

And I like how even once McCoy made DA he was a prosecutor first, and a politician second. The episodes where he's campaigning for a second term he's obviously annoyed that he has to campaign in the first place and can't just continue on his quest for justice.

His constant battles with Governor Shalvoy were always great, culminating in when he and Cutter finally brought the Governor down. It was a nice way of continuing Schiff's legacy of saying "gently caress the system, if there's a crime I'll prosecute it."

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I do like that Cutter thought there were limits to their power via the constitution whereas Jack saw it as his plaything. Both aggressive via their quest for justice but coming at it from a few ways.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mooseontheloose posted:

I do like that Cutter thought there were limits to their power via the constitution whereas Jack saw it as his plaything. Both aggressive via their quest for justice but coming at it from a few ways.

Yeah, and it was really great when Cutter would do something completely bonkers and even Jack would have to pull him into his office and scream, "WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU? :supaburn:"

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009
Whatshername in last week's SVU says to Finn after her stupid shoein exposition of character faults "How do you like your new partner?" What does this mean for Munch? :(

Edit: Christ, what a stupid episode. This includes: abstinence pledge, lesbian parental affair, racism, gambling problems, cops with gambling problems, Cragan going through his alcoholism story AGAIN like it's the first time it's ever been talked about, herpes, incest, pedophilic incest/rape...

I just want my vanilla back. :(

got dat wmd fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 20, 2012

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Have Munch and Finn even been offically partners for the past few years? It's not like they go places and make quips and solve mysteries together anymore - Munch has pretty much been riding a desk since the Chester lake days.

Munch and Finn working together together used to be one of the best parts of the show.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

muscles like this? posted:

The episode of SVU with Martin Short was just on and man oh man was he creepy in that.

One of my favorite SVU episodes right there. He really was amazingly creepy. Equally so was his gullible, dim wife.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

One of my favorite SVU episodes right there. He really was amazingly creepy. Equally so was his gullible, dim wife.

I find the case it was based off a lot worse. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karla_Homolka and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bernardo

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Man, Law and Order writers hate everything federal.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Man, Law and Order writers hate everything federal.

What about that episode where Benson and Stabler become US Marshalls for a bit?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Woah woah woah, Benson has a new boyfriend and it's Harry Connick Jr?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Mooseontheloose posted:

Woah woah woah, Benson has a new boyfriend and it's Harry Connick Jr?!

I thought it was Bill Paxton.

• Locked thread