Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Tupping Liberty posted:

So I've got a great list going for my 11th grade modern US history class. I am really strong at the moment in the Gilded Age and the 20s-40s.

Looking for more recommendations (again, for myself, not necessarily for my students); primary docs awesome; contemporary literature great as well; for the following areas:

1. Western expansion after the Civil War; end of the frontier; Indian wars, Populism, etc.
2. The '50s - back from the War, baby boom, consumerism
3. The '60s, '70s - especially protest movements and the Vietnam War
4. The '80s-2000s - this gets hard for me to teach as I lived it; but stuff about the role of computers in our lives, or the role of the internet; or stuff about movements in popular culture in the last 30 years or looking at singular decades; globalization and modern politics

Thanks in advance!

Nerdpony, I've been reading History Lessons: How Textbooks from Around the World Portray U.S. History. Pretty interesting, it seems like the kind of research I would have liked to do had I not gone into k-12 ed. After I started reading it, someone posted this interesting blog post on Facebook, http://postmasculine.com/america , which links in rather well, I think. I'm trying to work up some sort of lesson around the question "How do we think other countries define "American"?"

A Godly Hero: The Life of William Jennings Bryan by Michael Kazin is a pretty good biogrophy of one the fore-most politcians of that era.

http://www.amazon.com/Godly-Hero-William-Jennings-Bryan/dp/0385720564/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344818662&sr=8-1&keywords=a+godly+hero

While it obviously focuses on Bryan it does describe and explain in great detail the political enviroment of the time period. To quote Thomas Frank in "What's the Matter With Kansas?": "Bryan was an evangelical and a leftist---an almost unimaginable combination today."

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Aug 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Has anyone read Jim Newton's JUSTICE FOR ALL: Earl Warren and the Nation He Made or John A. Jenkins The Partisan: The Life of William Rehnquist . If so, what did you think of them? I'm fairly interested in checking one of them out.