Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Any lovers of Will and Ariel Durant?

I'm making my way through their "Age of Voltaire" right now and absolutely loving it.

He's probably my favorite historian at this point. He had a great sense of humor. I regularly find myself chuckling as I read his books.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

beanbrew posted:

Yup! I'm reading Caesar and Christ now, and have both The Story of Philosophy and The Life of Greece for when I finish. One nice thing is how easy it is to find Durant's books at used bookstores.

The Life of Greece was excellent. I still need to find Caesar and Christ, it's one of the few I'm still missing.

Glad to find someone else who enjoys him, I love his writing style.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Tupping Liberty posted:

I am going to be teaching US history 1860s-Modern day, for the first time, next year (11th graders). I really want to teach it from the essential question, "what does it mean to be American, and how does that change?". I especially want to focus on cultural - even pop-cultural things like movies, music, art, theatre, dance, etc.

So after all that preface, I am wondering if anyone knows any good books about the history of any of those subjects, preferably 20th century?

John Higham's Stranger's in the Land is a good examination of the roots of American Nativism, and one of the few comprehensive works on the subject I've been able to find.

Supposedly he recanted on this work 30 years after the fact, but it doesn't stop it from being well researched.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Jive One posted:

I'd try the first volume of William Durant's Story of Civilization, titled Our Oriental Heritage. Great overview of near-east bronze age civilizations as well as brief historical surveys of India, China and Japan.

Another Durant fan!

I haven't read "Our Oriental Heritage" yet, but Will Durant is awesomely readable, funny and insightful and always give a good overview. It's too bad he only devoted one volume to such a huge subject (the orient).

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Any good books (I'm sure there are hundreds) written on administration and government within the Roman empire? I'm specifically curious about the later days of the republic to the death of Augustus.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Waroduce posted:

Does anyone have a good book about TE Lawrence? I've heard alot of stuff about him is real hit or miss and pop-historyish.

Ideally, I'd like a military history slant to it, but I don't care that much

Lawrence in Arabia: War, Deceit, Imperial Folly and the Making of the Modern Middle East

NPR had good things to say about the above. Haven't tried it yet.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Elderbean posted:

Any good books on the history of medicine or disease?

From Medicine Man to Doctor is pretty good, despite being written in the early twentieth century.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Any recommendations for a book about the Five Good Emperors of Rome? i.e. Nerva-Marcus Aurelius?