Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

I missed this thread, I must repost my request.

I'm in need of various China history. I am interested in Hong Kong in the 1800s, colonials in China/late Qing more generally, and both the Han and Tang dynasties. Both Chinese and western perspective for the colonial stuff would be good.

The Cambridge History of China is about as comprehensive as you can get. It's expensive though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Finisher1 posted:

Does anyone know any good books about the Bronze Age? I'm not looking for anything terribly specific, just a general overview.

I'd try the first volume of William Durant's Story of Civilization, titled Our Oriental Heritage. Great overview of near-east bronze age civilizations as well as brief historical surveys of India, China and Japan.

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

If possible I'd like to find a history of China that has a broad topical focus, but especially includes cultural aspects. Things like how architecture or painting changed by dynasty, family structure, philosophical ideas. Basically a big rear end comprehensive history of China that isn't just names and dates or political history. Does such a work exist?

Edit:

Found this one which will work unless there are some great public domain multi-volume histories.

BrotherAdso posted:

Recommendations

I'll check some of these out as well. Thanks!

Jive One fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 8, 2014

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

http://www.amazon.com/Heart-Europe-History-Roman-Empire/dp/0674058097

Looking forward to this when it's released. Nice big fat book on the Holy Roman Empire which is a topic I know almost nothing about.