Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Mr Crucial posted:

Can anyone recommend any good books about spies in Cold War Europe? I've been reading one called Farewell about a KGB agent who turned traitor and started selling secrets to French intelligence, but it suffers from a bad translation from the original French and Vetrov's story isn't the most interesting anyway.

It's been a long time since I read it, but I remember Peter Wright's Spycatcher being a pretty cool read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Speaking of, does anyone know a good book on Alexander the Great? I briefly looked for one on Amazon but couldn't find anything that looked good.

I've had my eye on Robin Lane Fox's biography for a while, but I haven't read it. And there's always Arrian and Plutarch.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Ulio posted:

Any good books about the Age of Discovery? I wouldn't mind different perspectives(natives/explorers). Would also like the expedition part to be included and not only the discovery. One about Cortes and Mexico would be specially great but all others are welcome too.

If you don't mind reading a primary source, Bernal Diaz's The Conquest of New Spain is a good first-hand account from one of the conquistadors who overthrew the Aztec empire and served under Cortes.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Red87 posted:

I'm looking for some Roman history type books. I really enjoy the legion/war type books the most. Anyone have some recommendations? I prefer kindle/ebook versions since work travel keeps me from carrying a lot of books with me and I finish them too fast usually that I run out of material on trips.

Xenophon's Anabasis (available on the Kindle as The Persian Expedition) is a fun, first-hand account of a mercenary Greek army stuck in Persia. If you want something Roman, Caesar's two books, ]The Conquest of Gaul and The Civil War are good reads, too.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Abyss posted:

Searched this thread and couldn't find anything similar to a request. I was wondering if anyone knew of books which covered how modern media could have shaped the perception of historical events. Such as media coverage of the Civil War or presidential debates. I guess this could be considered alternate history, but I'm not looking for fiction as much as an analysis.

Not sure if this is quite what you're looking for, but there's The Image by Daniel J. Boorstin. It's about how the media constructs things so they can report on them: press conferences, presidential debates, etc.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Are there any solid books on the crusades that feature a lot of first hand accounts? (Ie. narratives from soldiers or others who participated in them, if any of those were written down at the time)

Penguin has a couple: This one has two accounts, one from the fourth crusade by Geoffrey of Villehardouin and another about Louis IX's later crusades. There's another one I'm not too familiar with made of first-hand accounts about the first crusades, too. There's also the Book of Contemplation, written by an Arab in the 12th century which touches on the Crusades from the other side.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

ChetReckless posted:

I'm catching up on this thread and noticed a recommendation for Carthage Must Be Destroyed, so I thought I'd chime in with The Ghosts of Cannae: Hannibal and the Darkest Hour of the Roman Republic by Robert L O'Connell. Obviously the book spends most of its time on the second Punic War, though each is covered to an extent. It's a relatively easy read, going into the tactics and order of battle without being too seriously technical. I'm not sure a hardcore military history buff would be satisfied with it, but a casual reader like myself enjoyed it. The emphasis is on the battle at Cannae (obviously) and the ramifications it had on the morale, strategies, tactics, and survivors (the titular 'ghosts') on both sides.

Thanks for this, it sounds right up my alley. Has anyone read any of Anthony Everitt's biographies? I've had my eye on the book he wrote on Cicero for a little while, but I saw he has ones on Hadrian and Augustus, too. Are they any good?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

DerLeo posted:

Does anyone know a good book for historically significant speeches?

Dover has a bunch of them, like this one full of 20th century speeches, and they're all pretty cheap, too.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
If you want a social history, maybe check out some of Studs Turkel's work?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

stawk Archer posted:

Last year, I read Livy that is available through the Penguin Classics. It is tedious sometimes, but it gives insight into the way the Romans saw their history.

I've got a couple of these volumes. They're enjoyable reads and I liked the more colorful parts (the last king being expelled from Rome and Hannibal crossing the Alps come to mind), but I know what you mean: there's only so many times you can read about who was Quaestor each year.

I'm also a big Plutarch guy, although I wish someone (Oxford? This would be right up your alley) would made a modern translation that preserves the way Plutarch contrasted his lives, not having them divided up by era. I understand why Penguin did that (it's easier for general readers who only want to read about Casear or Alexander the Great, but couldn't care less about the other), but I'm surprised the only full translation out there is Dryden's.

Can anyone recommend any books about Alexander the Great? I'm leaning towards Robin Lane Fox's biography, but I'm willing to be persuaded to another one.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

stawk Archer posted:

This is great: http://www.thelandmarkancienthistories.com/index.htm
I had no idea that there actually would be a Landmark Polybius. Definitely on the top of my to-buy list when it comes out.
About Plutarch: the Penguin edition was fine to me. Parallel Lives gets right to the heart of the story, and the allegorical nature is a lot easier to digest than Livy, which has a more propagandistic feel to it and isn't as diverse in its implications.

That reminds me, what's a good edition of Polybius? I know Penguin abridged him a bunch, so is there another edition I should keep my eyes open for?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Stravinsky posted:

Don't get me wrong, Penguin can do a pretty good job most of the time. But what they did to Histories is just baffling.

Yeah, by and large I stick to Penguins. There's only a couple of ones I'm not interested in (a prose translation of Ovid's Metamorphoses and Polybius come to mind) so my history shelf is almost all Penguin Classics. They've got so much out there that nobody else does, it's hard to fault them unless they do something really strange.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
But isn't that more or less what happened? Mao wasn't exactly a nice person.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Christoff posted:

Also Rome and Greece and everything around it. Don't care about a particular person or era. I just love reading little factoids about them.

I'm a big fan of Plutarch's lives. He was a writer in the second century AD who wrote biographies comparing various Greek figures to famous Romans (Alexander the Great and Julius Caesar, for example). Penguin has a few good editions out there, if you don't mind them separating the lives by era. A good starting place is he Fall of the Roman Republic, which covers Caesar, Cicero, Sulla and some other major figures.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

stawk Archer posted:

Are there any suggestions for a good translation of Appian's histories?
Adrian Goldsworthy said, in his book on the Punic Wars, that they are the most complete history of the parts Polybius left out (and were lost from Livy). The only caution is that they are more like epic poetry than history in some parts.

I haven't read it yet, but Penguins seems like the best one out there: Oxford doesn't have one and Landmark's is forthcoming (whatever that means) and everything else I see on Amazon looks like stuff in the public domain.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

DeceasedHorse posted:

No, but I just bought it and it looks very interesting, I'm sort of still working on the Liberation Trilogy and 1453 so it'll probably be a while before I get to it but I'm all jazzed up for some more Vietnam after completing the (excellent) audio book of A Bright Shining Lie (which I'd recommend in any format, although personally I think the ending is kind of abrupt).

Speaking of which, any recommendations for Vietnam books? I really liked Stanley Karnow's overall history and on the fictional side of things Matterhorn was one of the best novels I've ever read.

Neil Sheehan's A Bright and Shining Lie and David Halberstam's The Best and the Brightest are great reads about America in Vietnam and I think each won a Pulitzer back in the day.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

1stGear posted:

My nephew is getting ready to turn 10 and has a pretty intense fascination with a lot of the little WW2 figurines and miniatures his dad has gotten him. I was thinking about getting him a simple history of the war for his birthday and was looking for input. His reading level is pretty high though he is still a ten-year old. Are there books that would be suitable?

Night by Elie Wiesel. I'm serious: I read it in school around that age, it had a pretty big impact on how I felt about war at the time.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Also: Penguin Classics has a good book called Chronicles of the Crusades you might wanna look into: it's two different first-hand accounts of crusades, one to Byzantine and another to Egypt.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I've been on a huge biography kick lately, reading all of Robert Caro's LBJ books (I'm about halfway through Master of the Senate; it's easily my favourite one so far) and I'm wondering if there's any other presidential biographies at about the same level: not fluff pieces, not ghostwritten autobiographies (like Reagan's awful memoir), but something along the lines of Caro's books or Richard Ben Cramer's What It Takes.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

gohuskies posted:

If you like Caro, you absolutely must read The Power Broker, his biography of Robert Moses. It's a single volume and a masterpiece. It's focused on power and how it is accumulated and used, like the LBJ series, but it looks at the city level rather than Congress/federal.

Thanks for this, I'll keep my eyes open for it! I'm only vaguely familiar with who Moses was, but it sounds interesting.

On a related note, has anyone read Steven Ambrose's biography of Richard Nixon? Once I finish The Years of Lyndon Johnson, I'm thinking about moving on to the next President and the local library has all three volumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

dublish posted:

I haven't read that, but I thought Rick Perlstein's Nixonland was pretty great when I read it 5 years ago. It's only 1 volume but it's not a biography, so probably not quite what you're looking for.

That's one I keep hearing good things about, but the local library doesn't have a copy and I'd rather stick with something they have for now. I'll probably read it eventually.