Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Anyone have some suggestions for books on the Mexican revolution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

mariooncrack posted:

I know this is a broad topic but can anyone recommend any books on the Vietnam War?

Embers of War is a great book for the Lead up/French experience in Vietnam and does a great job explaining how the U.S. came to be involved

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

FingersMaloy posted:

Is Gibbon's Decline and Fall... worth reading or is it a more a piece of history itself? Has it been eclipsed by modern scholarship?

I would absolutely recommend it. As other's have said, he set the bar for further scholarship and arguments about Rome's decline. I might be crazy, but I absolutely love Gibbon's writing style, old as it is. It's somehow crisp and to the point while being enormously descriptive.
It's also an incredible accomplishment- I read the unabridged version over a year and the amount of random details scattered throughout is incredible.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I apologize if this has been asked before but I've realized my knowledge of the Afghanistan war (U.S.) is basically poo poo and I'm wondering if there are any good books that cover it from the beginning to more or less the past couple of years?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I just finished The Future Is History and while I'm not sure it qualifies as history in the common sense of the word, I found it to be a really good look at Russia from the late 80's to current times. Basically it tracks the lives of several individuals in Russia whom the author knows as the USSR collapses and Russia goes from an aborted attempt at democracy and free markets to what we see today. As someone who knew very little of this period it has made me want to dig deeper.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I recently read Secrets: A Memoir of Vietnam and the Pentagon Papers by Daniel Ellsberg. Ellsberg went to Vietnam for two years and participated in the decision-making process inside Washington for most of the war. Really compelling look at how mistakes get made and compounded, and everyone pays. Has anyone read his recent one, The Doomsday Machine?

I'm halfway through it, and the first half has been really good. Pretty stunning how bad our nuclear war strategy was in the first two decades after WW2.
It does make me wonder why he waited so long to talk about this. According to him, when he secreted the Pentagon papers out of Rand he also took documents relating to nuclear planning, which he considered more important than those pertaining to Vietnam. But because of reasons I won't "spoil", he no longer has those.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
No idea, since I've never read it. One of the critiques of the book is that Ellsberg doesn't really say anything new. But for someone like myself who was unfamiliar with this particular topic it is quite enlightening.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Just finished Red Famine and while there isn't much more to be said in praise of the book than what's out in the press, I was really blown away by the scope of the Soviet responsibility that Applebaum outlines. There's also some interesting discussion about what constitutes "genocide" and the political implications for modern day Ukraine.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Recently finished Taubman's biography of Gorbachev and found it to be excellent, he has tons of interviews with people who were close to him throughout his time in office as well as with Gorbachev himself, and I thought struck a pretty clean balance between the view of Gorbachev as arrogant to a fault and brilliant statesman. I do wonder if the west had played its cards differently following the collapse of the soviet bloc how much different things might look today, Gorbachev himself seems torn today between being upset with Putin and his rollback of freedoms gained under Gorbachev and simmering resentment towards the west for basically looting Russia (in his view) and humiliating it.
Anyways, eagerly looking forward to starting in on his biography of Kruschev next.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Just finished Chenow's Grant and it was fantastic. I recently moved from Michigan to NC and so i've become super interested in the civil war, especially given that the Lost Cause narrative is still very much alive down here.
But man, the last few months of Grant's life sound awful.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

because of the current political climate. whats a good book on hitlers last days?

Ullrich's part 2 of his Hitler biography came out a few months back:
https://www.amazon.com/Hitler-Downfall-1939-1945-Volker-Ullrich/dp/1101874007
I just finished it, it is quite good

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Vasukhani posted:

they will literally just keep writing hitler memoirs wont they

Nah, the first was a best seller and everyone else backed off

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Vasukhani posted:

I think we can all agree that William Shiriers book was an admirable attempt! Or are you talking about that Knausgaard book?

I was making a [bad] joke about a memoir being written by the subject himself

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Vasukhani posted:

I got it. i was trying to build off it lol

blah, sorry. long week

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Looking for books on the history of the catholic church , preferably post Byzantine empire but 500-1200 is ok too

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Chairman Capone posted:

It's not quite the time period you specified but general books I assign for my Modern Africa course are Roland Oliver and Anthony Atmore's "Africa since 1800" and Hakim Adi and Marika Sherwood's "Pan-African History: Political figures from Africa and the Diaspora since 1787"

Are you thinking of "Confederate Reckoning: Power and Politics in the Civil War South"?

I recently finished Confederate Reckoning and while it was very good i dont think its what the author is thinking of.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Finished the new Carter biography The Outlier, which is generally pretty good for an overview of the Carter presidency. My main takeaway is that Zbigniew Brzezinski was an absolute idiot and Carter would have been far better to have him no where near the white house. Its astonishing just how bad the iranian hostage rescue attempt was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

blue squares posted:

It’s the densest book I’ve ever read for fun

same. but i loved it. im afraid it will make me insufferable about inaccuracies in openheimer, as there are bound to be