Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Its a great overview, my professor of the third reich in college assigned it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

theres no such thing as steampunk history. If you're looking for steampunk books in my opinion they start and end with China Mieville's Bas Lag books starting with Perdido St Station

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Thordain posted:

I just finished reading The Scramble for Africa by Thomas Pakenham and goddamn is 19th century European Imperialism fascinating. There are definitely some people like Leopold II and Bismarck who seemed to know what they were doing but the rest are just constantly cocking everything up. And the Boers appeal to my love of Frontier stories(though that racism). I'm probably gonna go read Pakenham's book on the Boer war now.

If you haven't also check out King Leopolds Ghost absolutely brutal history of the Congo. Roughly half the population died possibly the worst colony ever.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good book about The Great Depression? Popular or Academic long as its interesting I don't really care.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The Guns of August is a great historical book that also has some of the best non fiction prose I have ever read. “The muffled tongue of Big Ben tolled nine by the clock as the cortege left the palace, but on history's clock it was sunset, and the sun of the old world was setting in a dying blaze of splendor never to be seen again.”

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Pinball posted:

Any recommendations on a good overall history of the Byzantine Empire or an overview of Byzantine culture that's available in Kindle format?

I really like Lost to the West by Lars Brownworth he did the 12 Byzantine Rulers podcast and its a nice overview of Byzantium.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

DynamicSloth posted:

Can anyone recommend any good books on Apartheid (in South Africa), I'm looking for something other than just the Mandela story, I'd love to learn more about the first half of the 20th century or the divestment campaigns and international reaction or lack thereof in the 70s and 80s, or just something grossly comprehensive.

Country of My Skull by Antjie Krog is quite good. He's a South African Journalist who was at the hearings for Truth and Reconciliation after Apartheid ended every day for South African TV. He has a first hand account of that pivotal moment in time. I read it for my Modern Africa class in college and quite enjoyed it.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Elderbean posted:

Any good books on the history of medicine or disease?

I love The Emperor of All Maladies its a book all about the history of Cancer. Its a big book but very compelling, it won the Pulitzer for a reason.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Star posted:

I might be talking out of my rear end here, since I haven't read the book, but based on the reviews I've read it might not be the most methodological up-to-date book on medicine and diseases. It seems to fall squarely into the more popular teleological historical category?

Maybe but it's accessible interesting well researched and compelling

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I would look at those survey books also anything by Eric Foner, if there's an Era you find particularly interesting read the relevant section of the Oxford History of the United States.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Finally watched Chernobyl and listening to some podcasts about other soviet stuff got me thinking. Is there a good history of the Soviet Union that isn't just Communism Bad over and over? Also any good books on post Soviet Russia I know the basics on how Putin came to power and how Yeltzin tuned his liver into a sieve but maybe more then that.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I feel like this is kind of a loaded question because any “objective” account of the Soviet Union has to cover the constant issues from its beginning to its end which its political system and economy faced in trying to hold itself together from both external and internal pressure, which often times resulted in crisis and catastrophe. That isn’t necessarily saying “communism bad” for 70 years of history but it’s not going to be a story of how nice the place was either.

That being said I’d adamantly recommend that you stay the hell away from anything written by Richard Pipes who has an extreme ideological bend against everything Soviet. I personally would recommend The Soviet Experiment by Ronald Grigor Suny. It’s unfortunately more of a textbook though which may not be what you want.

Oh yeah I'm no tankie I just wanted to avoid the Richard Pipes of the world. Thanks

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Anfauglir posted:

I too would be interested in anything on post USSR Russia and the rise of Putin. Realized that I know basically nothing about it, what I remember learning at school basically ended with "and then the USSR fell and Russia became a democracy and everything was good forever." I'll check out The Man Without a Face but if there's any other good books on it I'd love a few suggestions.

Nothing is True and Everything is Possible is a pretty good gonzo look at Russia's elite during the oil boom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Any good books on the whole Militia Movement in the 90s, Waco, Ruby Ridge, Oklahoma City Bombing that kinda stuff?