Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
Finished The Last Days of the Incas the other day. I really enjoyed the fifty or so years it spent in Peru, less so the tales of Twentieth century exploring that bookend it. I would still really recommend it, Manco Inca is the coolest guy who ever married his sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

I'm looking for some good books on Incan History, Last days of the Incans was a pretty sweet read and I'm hungry for more.

I'm maybe a third of the way through Guns, Germs and Steel and it is very interesting and very slow.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

This is a request for the thread, can you tell me if anyone has ever been in one of these threads looking for steampunk history?

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

blakout posted:

theres no such thing as steampunk history. If you're looking for steampunk books in my opinion they start and end with China Mieville's Bas Lag books starting with Perdido St Station

I know, I was asking if anyone thought there was. Bad joke.

It's really tangentially related and I know this is not a history book IN ANY WAY but I've been reading the Foundation by Isaac Asimov. It's set during the decline of a galactic empire fashioned after Rome. I'm halfway through Foundation and Empire and I'm really liking it.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Could anyone recommend a good history on The American Civil War? I've watched the Ken Burns documentary about a dozen times but that's about it for my knowledge of the conflict. Preferably one that dedicates the same attention to both sides and doesn't read like shampoo ingredients. Thank you.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 9, 2015

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

I believe I'll check out Foote's three volume set first, thanks for the suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Wrong thread, sorry.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 11, 2015