Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Just finished reading The Wages of Destruction: The Making and Breaking of the Nazi Economy, by Adam Tooze A fascinating look at the Nazi war economy that dispels a lot of the economic myths that surround the German war economy and exposes the economic reasoning behind some of Hitler's more odd military decisions. I should warn you though it can get a bit heavy on the economics at times but its still an absolutely brilliant need if you want to know how the Germans organised their wartime economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

just finished reading Eichmann In Jerusalem which was an absolutely amazing look at one of the key figures in the Holocaust who was put on trial and arrested by the Israeli government in 1961. Eichmann comes across as a man who was neither amoral super genius or stereotypical kicks puppies and burns orphanages nazi monster but who was instead just a normal sane individual doing a job that resulted in nothing but horror and mass murder on a massive scale.

Anyway while I am still interested in the topic can anyone recommend a good book that goes into detail on how the bureaucratic side of the holocaust was organised?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Can anyone recommend any good books on Polish History? I'm interested in finding out how one of Medieval Europes superpowers became such an economic and political basket-case by the time of the partitions.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Minenfeld! posted:

Can anyone recommend a book that discusses the various schools of historical thought? I'm looking for an overview of how historiography and different schools of thought have changed over time.

The classic work we used at university is What is History? by E.H Carr. Which talks about the then popular schools of historiography but it's 50 years old now and pretty dry for the non academic reader and maybe someone can recommend something a little bit more up to date?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Can anyone recommend a good history of the Templars and/or the other great military orders? It occurred to me I don't know all that much about them.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Where's a good place to start to read up on the Hussites? They came up in a discussion and I realised I knew absolutely nothing about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Are there any good books out there on Operation Dragoon? It came up during a discussion about WWII and I realised I knew next to nothing about it. It for obvious reasons tends to get overshadowed by D-Day and treated a sideshow.