Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
I just finished A Queer History of the United States by Michael Bronski:

It starts in 1492 with what's known of Native cultures at the time and goes all the way to the 1990s. The main theme is exploring queer - homosexual, bisexual, trans* - narratives and people who have been buried in most traditional history books and takes several notes (and quotes) from Zinn's A People's History of the United States, but it also frankly discusses how race and class have intersected with the rise of the gay rights movement and how all of the rights movements have intertwined with one another. It also serves as a history of how America has tried to regulate all forms of sexual activity, successfully and otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
I'm try to track down books on two different topics.

The first would be a history of piracy (and if it was more than just European piracy, that would be fantastic) that is informative but avoids romanticizing the subject too much.

The second would be on the pre-Islamic Middle East or right about when Islam began to assert its influence in the region.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
Thanks for all the recommendations. I've tossed a few of those on my list for next paycheck, starting with History of the Persian Empire, I think.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
Does anyone have recommendations for a book on the history of the yakuza? I've read autobiographies like Yakuza Moon and Tokyo Vice, but I'm curious to read more historical background than just personal experiences in the modern day.

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.

Megazver posted:

I don't have anything to recommend on the subject matter, but I've read Tokyo Vice and I'm like 90% sure Jake Adelstein is a bullshit artist and made most of it up.

Probably, which is why I'm interested in an actual history on the groups rather than one American talking about how he put his nose in the wrong place.