Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I'll probably play Peacock and Cerebella, but I'm hoping the 8th character really jumps out at me because none of the characters so far really have (though I imagine a character or two will grow on me once I get a chance to actually play the game).

Fortunately you can have a two-person team, and Cerebella's lariat assist thing looks great for Peacock. All glory to Chilldog and Skullgirls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ChewyLSB posted:

What is the correct context, then? I'm legitimately curious, I haven't really followed the issue that much besides what I've heard off hand.

The gist is that Peter is a numbnut, it was said in an elevator and in confidence after the ACTUAL interview (of which very little was used since Eurogamer is a tabloid), he's just a PR guy and not a designer, and Eurogamer is willing to say or do anything to generate site hits as long as it doesn't hurt any companies bigger than them. Alex Ahad's reponse to the whole thing says quite a bit more.

quote:

Our quote was taken out of context and shouldn't have been taken as an actual, serious argument against sexism. It's rather disrespectful to both Kinuko and her work, as well as the company as a whole. If you read the whole article, you will see that there is an anecdote that demonstrates the absurdity of this female-animator argument. I wish it was made more clear that we don't support the female-animator argument as a valid point against sexism at all. It has an incredibly misleading tone since the very first quote is "our lead animator is a woman." It's also in poor taste to call out another game/character by name as an example... I feel like these quotes all came from a conversation, rather than an actual interview.

Basically, a pair of idiots made the entirety of Reverge look bad.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Pollyanna posted:

In all seriousness, I think I'd want to play the game a lot more if it wasn't as ridiculous as it seems based on those character profiles.

This is my problem too. Don't get me wrong, I love a good fighting game and I'm sure the mechanics are really fun and all that, but really, who enjoys watching pantry shots every five seconds and a cast of all hip anime women with gigantic tits? I can understand if you are a five hundred pound virgin with autism, but with MVC3 I can be like "Oh poo poo! (Insert random hero here)?! I ALWAYS wanted to see him/her fight!"

With this game, I think I would just stare at the character select screen and think "Mmm... I wonder which Skullgirl is the least embarrassing to play with."

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Evil Canadian posted:

Really looking forward to the game. I just hope the team balance feature pans out because I am mostly looking forward to playing either a duo team, or a solo character. I don't have much interest in a team of 3.

I'm the opposite and I hope 1 character teams end up being useless.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

big duck equals goose posted:

This is my problem too. Don't get me wrong, I love a good fighting game and I'm sure the mechanics are really fun and all that, but really, who enjoys watching pantry shots every five seconds and a cast of all hip anime women with gigantic tits? I can understand if you are a five hundred pound virgin with autism, but with MVC3 I can be like "Oh poo poo! (Insert random hero here)?! I ALWAYS wanted to see him/her fight!"

With this game, I think I would just stare at the character select screen and think "Mmm... I wonder which Skullgirl is the least embarrassing to play with."

It's not even an issue of "I don't want to play a woman" or something stupid like that, I'd be perfectly fine with any of these characters if the focus weren't on their T&A. It's just that their portrayal and the way they're treated weirds me out, and I don't want my fighter to be 99% panty shots. Variety is the spice of life, dammit.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
IIRC That guy is the PR guy and a designer Ravidrath.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

The Hater posted:

Who is everone's favorite skullgirl? Mine is Peacock

Parasoul is my favorite, I love her move where she calls in the soldier to shield her from damage. Well animated and pretty useful!

I can't wait for this game, panty shots or not.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I can understand if you are a five hundred pound virgin with autism

Fortunately, I am! :D

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Do one on one fights turn into a Best of 3 Rounds deal still? If so that's something someone should mention.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Pollyanna posted:

It's not even an issue of "I don't want to play a woman" or something stupid like that, I'd be perfectly fine with any of these characters if the focus weren't on their T&A. It's just that their portrayal and the way they're treated weirds me out, and I don't want my fighter to be 99% panty shots. Variety is the spice of life, dammit.

Mmm? I wasn't saying that having an all female fighting cast is bad.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Broken Loose posted:

The gist is that Peter is a numbnut, it was said in an elevator and in confidence after the ACTUAL interview (of which very little was used since Eurogamer is a tabloid), he's just a PR guy and not a designer, and Eurogamer is willing to say or do anything to generate site hits as long as it doesn't hurt any companies bigger than them. Alex Ahad's reponse to the whole thing says quite a bit more.

Then why did he post "In addition to doing some UI design, implementation and production on Skullgirls and leading design on our next project, I’m currently filling the role you might know at other companies as the dreaded “Community Manager.”" on the Skullgirls website?

Seems like he's a designer and one held in pretty high regard by Reverge if he's leading their next project, in addition to being "Community Manager" which is not really "some random PR guy" :confused:

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Do one on one fights turn into a Best of 3 Rounds deal still? If so that's something someone should mention.
Last week's Friday Night Fight was a 1v1 and it did the best of three thing, so that's still in unless it's changed in the past week (which I guess is possible with a game still in development).

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Broken Loose posted:

Slightly off topic, but do goons generally agree Eurogamer is trash? I know goons don't like Kotaku, but I haven't seen much talk about Eurogamer.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

It's in. I was looking for the video to link. (last week's FnF: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/friday-night-skullgirls/725417)

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Seizure Robot posted:

Seems like he's a designer and one held in pretty high regard by Reverge if he's leading their next project, in addition to being "Community Manager" which is not really "some random PR guy" :confused:

Lay off, man. I know how that dude feels. My wife is a woman so I'm pretty such my 14 year old looking anime girl with mega tits and panty shots is fine. If anything, I'm being REVERSE sexist. So sick of all these super buff macho fighters...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Mmm? I wasn't saying that having an all female fighting cast is bad.

Nor am I, just that the panty shot stuff is the video game equivalent to eating a whole can of cinnamon.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
This discussion doesn't really belong in this thread, as this is for gameplay discussion. If you want to discuss sexism in games I highly recommend you check out this thread.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Jmcrofts posted:

This discussion doesn't really belong in this thread, as this is for gameplay discussion. If you want to discuss sexism in games I highly recommend you check out this thread.

Oh please, it's at least as valid as story discussion which I'm sure you'll begrudgingly tolerate.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gamest Mook posted:

Oh please, it's at least as valid as story discussion which I'm sure you'll begrudgingly tolerate.

Except that the thread is specifically for harboring the discussions. It's easier to manage.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Gamest Mook posted:

Can we not do this? Thanks.

vvvv Also this.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gamest Mook posted:

Aren't story discussions pretty much laughed out of existence in every fighting game thread that isn't the MK9 one

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm so stoked to play Ms Fortune and Valentine in a team of 2. :allears:

How does the damage/health scaling work with different sized teams? Is it just like CvS?

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Gamest Mook posted:

Or you could save it for the 9001 times we'll have this exact discussion again.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Pollyanna posted:

Except that the thread is specifically for harboring the discussions. It's easier to manage.

It's specifically to ghettoize discussion so sperglord nerds who can't handle such topics being discussed without going into an indignant privileged rage about it don't have their forum posting experience upset, yeah. Just ignore the discussion if you don't want to talk about it, I promise it will go away much faster that way since at least half the posts in these arguments are always arguing about the argument itself.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Countblanc posted:

Aren't story discussions pretty much laughed out of existence in every fighting game thread that isn't the MK9 one

Yeah and this is mostly due to the fact that MK9's story is the only one that is like, possible to follow.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
edit: never mind

FossilFuelUser fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 4, 2012

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Gamest Mook posted:

It's specifically to ghettoize discussion so sperglord nerds who can't handle such topics being discussed without going into an indignant privileged rage about it don't have their forum posting experience upset, yeah.

Shut Up Gamest Mook.

sleeps-chan
Jan 7, 2006

by T. Fine

Gamest Mook posted:

It's specifically to ghettoize discussion so sperglord nerds who can't handle such topics being discussed without going into an indignant privileged rage about it don't have their forum posting experience upset, yeah. Just ignore the discussion if you don't want to talk about it, I promise it will go away much faster that way since at least half the posts in these arguments are always arguing about the argument itself.

Wow I thought the something is awful forum's banned loving trolls like this idiot? mods can we get some help here?

IDOLA
Sep 17, 2005

:-)
When is this actually coming out? Does it have a confirmed release date or is it a nebulous target like "Q2 2012".

I mean, sure, I'm looking forward to playing this but have no idea when I would be able to.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Gamest Mook posted:

Yeah, I understand that there's a time and place for these discussions, but it does really seem pretty bad when the second somebody brings it up, someone goes "Nope, there's a separate thread for this discussion". I mean, this is the Skullgirls thread. If you want it to be the thread for discussing Skullgirls gameplay only, then make it the Skullgirls gameplay only thread.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

IDOLA posted:

When is this actually coming out? Does it have a confirmed release date or is it a nebulous target like "Q2 2012".

I mean, sure, I'm looking forward to playing this but have no idea when I would be able to.

It doesn't have a confirmed release date but you won't have to wait long.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Painwheel/Cerebella. Painwheels flight shenanigans look like a great way to sneak in grab assists, or just make an enemy paranoid enough of them that I can mix them up.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Yeah and this is mostly due to the fact that MK9's story is the only one that is like, possible to follow.

No way, I still remember Blazblu perfectly. It's about some dude with white hair and a sword made of dead godzilla bones or something that travels into time to kill/burn his farm village and grants him space powers (After his brother entered the negative void universe to fight a vampire lord) to travel back forward in time and stop a green haired CIA/Space Tokyo double agent from making a female cyborg to conquer the galaxy with.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Gamest Mook posted:

We're in the Games subforum, where people discuss video games... This debate is more the domain of D&D or the specific thread in Games where people go to talk about these issues.

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, I understand that there's a time and place for these discussions, but it does really seem pretty bad when the second somebody brings it up, someone goes "Nope, there's a separate thread for this discussion". I mean, this is the Skullgirls thread. If you want it to be the thread for discussing Skullgirls gameplay only, then make it the Skullgirls gameplay only thread.
People are trying to move the argument to another thread because it's been had at least six or seven times before this thread was made and nobody can tolerate it any more.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

IDOLA posted:

All I've heard is "Early 2012".

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Crappy Jack posted:

That's kind of what we were hoping for, seeing as mentioning sexism in Games is a great way to start a dumb shouting argument that nobody ever wins.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

It's because everyone's sick of it from the last 30 times this discussion's come up in the Fighting Game thread. Most people here agree that the art is pretty skeevy, but we really don't need to drag out this argument every 5 pages.

IDOLA posted:

I don't have the post on me but a dev on another board mentioned that it would miss January. That's the most specific they've given out.

Gamest Mook
Jun 22, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Cat Machine posted:

We're in the Games subforum, where people discuss video games... This debate is more the domain of D&D or the specific thread in Games where people go to talk about these issues.

No, this is Skullgirls discussion so it goes in the Skullgirls thread.

Ryanbomber posted:

It's because everyone's sick of it from the last 30 times this discussion's come up in the Fighting Game thread. Most people here agree that the art is pretty skeevy, but we really don't need to drag out this argument every 5 pages.

~then stop posting about it~

sleeps-chan
Jan 7, 2006

by T. Fine

Crappy Jack posted:

so all they need to do is change the title to, 'Skullgirls video game discussion and video game playing in the something is awful's Games forum: Talk about the games you love and hate.'

tags: mod, mods read this post, axemaniac, zooluman, louisgod, name search this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The game isn't immature, as maturity isn't a thing that actually exists. The game isn't sexist, but the character design is.

Lots of big titted short skirted female characters is sexist, but it's not sexist when a big titted short skirted female character's tits bounce or her panties show when she kicks stuff. That's just cause and reaction.

• Locked thread