Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

JammyLammy posted:

Oh god, I didn't mean to ruin the thread with that one post. Sorry OP for bringing that up, I was just curious :(

You didn't, it would have happened anyway. Hopefully it'll be a few pages before it happens again though so we can ask chilldog a bunch of questions that he won't answer because he isn't allowed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

The style reminds me of Betty Boop more than a Tex Avery.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It's that whole gamut of early animation with very seductive women in it. Peacock's the only character (so far) to go beyond the basic style and go full on cartoon land.

SVU Fan
Mar 5, 2008

I'm gay for Christopher Meloni
The art rules, who cares about what some of the girls are wearing. Watch this poo poo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB7ylho3Gq0&feature=player_detailpage#t=498s

Realtime lighting in a 2d fighting game is the coolest thing ever.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Archenteron posted:

Will the Boss (Currently assuming it's going to be Parasoul's Mother the Skullgirl but hey it could be one of the guys or Powered Up Skullgirl Mode <Random Other Playable Character>) be a playable character? Unlockable? Secret code? Laughably overpowered, or will a playable version be normal strength? How SNK Hellboss are you planning on making it?

I really wish I could talk about the boss but I don't think I can, sorry!

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011
The game really did need a more even gender distribution. Girl character designs are, in general, pretty exploitative in every fighting game (MK9's were insanely atrocious for example) but when those designs comprise the entire cast and are presented as a sales point it really highlights the exploitation factor. If a design like Cammy or Litchi or Dizzy, let alone something legitimately creepy like Len from Melty Blood, were presented in this game without the context of being in more varied rosters they would be complained about too.

ANYWAYS the game is a lot of fun even though I'm a boring jerk who only picks solo Parasoul. The one really big 'feel' thing I think will surprise people is how tight the buffer is for chaining normals compared to something like MvC3.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

rocket USA posted:

ANYWAYS the game is a lot of fun even though I'm a boring jerk who only picks solo Parasoul. The one really big 'feel' thing I think will surprise people is how tight the buffer is for chaining normals compared to something like MvC3.
So it's closer to MVC2? Awesome.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
When you customize your assist, can you do low altitude jump attacks or is it grounded moves only?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Munsun posted:

When you customize your assist, can you do low altitude jump attacks or is it grounded moves only?

Ground moves only. Any ground normal, throw, special, or even a dash, so long as they don't require you to hold a button down (that last one may be subject to change).

rocket USA
Sep 14, 2011

Cat Machine posted:

So it's closer to MVC2? Awesome.

Yeah, you actually have to be precise with your inputs.

Munsun posted:

Grounded normals/specials only.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jmcrofts posted:

There are also some tricks being used to make inputs more user-friendly. There are input buffers during jumps and airdashes that make it so you can do instant airdash attacks as low as possible off the ground without having to time it perfectly. Same goes for flying attacks with Painwheel. Also, there is a script that detects if you are doing a 360 motion, and if you are it prevents you from jumping. That way you can easily do Cerebella's 360 super raw without jumping.

Can the 360 detector misfire when trying to TK air moves?

vvvv Cool. Just gotta not be so sloppy with my inputs then.

PalmTreeFun fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 5, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PalmTreeFun posted:

Can the 360 detector misfire when trying to TK air moves?

I guess technically, however it's only turned on for Cerebella because (so far) she is the only one with a 360 input. It also only detects 360s if you start from back and do a half-circle forward, or start from forward and do a half-circle back. So if you want to do something like tiger knee air command throw, just start at down and you won't have any problems.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Not excited for this game. If I had to choose any reason why, it would be the horrible artistic direction they chose for it. After being in developmental hell for over 5 years now they only just recently started hiring outside animators to work on it, and on top of that, offer absolutely horrible pay for the type of work they were expecting. They even went as far as having incredibly detailed model sheets, but gently caress if they could figure out how Filia's hair or Peacock's attacks worked without it all being jittery and ad libbed. That was not a fun experience.

I do hope the designers and programmers get work in the industry beyond this game though. They seem like pretty okay dudes (tits and rear end character designs aside) and they are passionate about what they're doing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Hater posted:

Who is everone's favorite skullgirl? Mine is Peacock

I'm with you.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Jmcrofts posted:

I really wish I could talk about the boss but I don't think I can, sorry!

Are you working on this game?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

emoticon posted:

Are you working on this game?

I was an intern at Reverge over the summer, and now I take the game to tournaments and other events whenever I get the chance in between college stuff.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jmcrofts posted:

I was an intern at Reverge over the summer, and now I take the game to tournaments and other events whenever I get the chance in between college stuff.

I'd kill to have been an intern over there. Where is Reverge based?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PalmTreeFun posted:

I'd kill to have been an intern over there. Where is Reverge based?

Marina Del Rey, kind of near Santa Monica.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Jmcrofts posted:

Marina Del Rey, kind of near Santa Monica.

That's nowhere near Wisconsin! Oh well v:shobon:v

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.

big duck equals goose posted:

Here is a Tex cartoon

Here is Skullgirls.

:confused: I guess I just don't see it?

Panty shot at 4:56 in the TexAv cartoon.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Someone should link the Skullgirls page on the SRK wiki somewhere in the OP. It's incredibly detailed and the game is not even in beta yet.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

PalmTreeFun posted:

That's nowhere near Wisconsin! Oh well v:shobon:v

You should try Human Head or Raven.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

emoticon posted:

You should try Human Head or Raven.

Sweet, I just discovered that Marvel Ultimate Alliance is from Wisconsin. :cool:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Liar Lyre posted:

Someone should link the Skullgirls page on the SRK wiki somewhere in the OP. It's incredibly detailed and the game is not even in beta yet.

I can never... be pro...:negative:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

Not excited for this game. If I had to choose any reason why, it would be the horrible artistic direction they chose for it. After being in developmental hell for over 5 years now they only just recently started hiring outside animators to work on it, and on top of that, offer absolutely horrible pay for the type of work they were expecting. They even went as far as having incredibly detailed model sheets, but gently caress if they could figure out how Filia's hair or Peacock's attacks worked without it all being jittery and ad libbed. That was not a fun experience.

I do hope the designers and programmers get work in the industry beyond this game though. They seem like pretty okay dudes (tits and rear end character designs aside) and they are passionate about what they're doing.

So you worked on the game?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

So are all these characters in the game?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

Only 8 of them will be in the game at release. Not at liberty to discuss if/when the others will come as DLC.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jmcrofts posted:

Only 8 of them will be in the game at release. Not at liberty to discuss if/when the others will come as DLC.

Can you tell us why Umbrella's umbrella is so weird and gross

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Can you tell us why Umbrella's umbrella is so weird and gross

It's alive.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Why would a little girl have a living umbrella, this game is dumb.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Why would a little girl have a living umbrella, this game is dumb.

A wizard did it.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Can someone post the button config screen (if it exists yet)?
I want to see what are the macros available to us pad users.

Jmcrofts posted:

Hurry up and announce Squiggly dang it.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Can someone post the button config screen (if it exists yet)?
I want to see what are the macros available to us pad users.

Hurry up and announce Squiggly dang it.

I don't have a screen, but the macro setup was literally "press what button you would like to map macro to" followed by "press what combination of buttons you'd like to map as that macro" last I saw.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

flatluigi posted:

And I Must Scream is creeping me out majorly. Gonna play as her. "Her"?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

If any of those characters would be non-playable ever I'd probably bet on I Must Scream being the one, so I wouldn't get your hopes up too high.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I actually remember hearing I Must Scream is the in-game explanation for Mirror Matches, have absolutely no idea if that's true or not.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
I remember hearing a little blurb about this game on x play one day and since then I have been following it close. Everything I keep hearing just makes this sound better and better. Peacock looks awesome. Super eager to play this.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I'm actually interested in this. Did you work for the game or know someone who did? Why are you saying that "it was not a fun experience"?
I like the cartoon-y feel of the game, but as a lot of people have said I really hate that it's all Tits and rear end

Buster
Sep 1, 2009
Valentine and Painwheel are my team for sure. Bitches gonna cut you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.
Game seems awesome I am looking forward to it but have a few questions.

How accessible will this be to people who are terrible at fighters? Will I still enjoy it, and find it fun, or will I hate every moment of it and want to turn it off after the first match? When I say terrible, I mean really bad, but me and my friends like to play fighters like MvC and the like when ever were bored.

How much fun can I expect to have on singleplayer? I know fighters are entirely based around fighting other people, but sometimes I like to pop in MvC2 and just play around with the computers getting my rear end kicked at every turn.

One last thing before I leave to throw wood on the fire. I really don't see the sexism inherent in the game. It's an art style, based around exaggerated anime looks, and the entire game looks goofy, almost like it's poking fun at standard animu fighting games. If you can show me one female character in a fighting game who isn't somehow overly sexualized you deserve a gold medal.

Edit: Cut this out of my original post on accident. Not that this necessarily makes it okay to do. It just means that the people who made this game are less evil sexist bastards who deserve to rot in hell, and more intelligent game designers who understand what sells in a market overly saturated with sexualization, and exaggerated physical features.

JimsonTheBetrayer fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 5, 2012

• Locked thread