Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

AXE COP posted:

My favourite skullgirl is Panzerfaust.

Make Big Band DLC, I will throw sacks of money at Reverge for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Mr Fixit posted:

Quick question: Do one frame links exist in this game?

You're asking the wrong question here. As long as fighting games rely on the dual conventions of startup/active/recovery frames and hitstun/blockstun (bundled together into the overarching concept of frame advantage), links will exist, including and especially one frame links. What you should be asking is what kind of importance the game system puts on links versus chains or other cancels.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

PalmTreeFun posted:

Not sure about you, but I'm maining Gary Stu and Mr. Saxobeat (or Panzerfist, either is cool).

I think their names are Big Band and Le Duc, actually.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Oh my god Double has Tengu Stones, neat.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Ahhhhhhh level 5 Moai lets you be a Gradius Boss ahhhhhh

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Since for some reason part 1 auto-advances to part 1 again, here's the link to part 2 of the Double walkthrough: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/exclusive-double-skullgirls/727035

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Umbrella and Training Room Lady also show up in there.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Jamcrofts, get Mike Z on your Mike Z phone and tell him we want Big Band. Thanks in advance.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Jmcrofts posted:

Hang on I'll press the "MIKE Z" button. It's the only button on the phone.

If he doesn't answer or the line is busy, you'll have to go with plan B and shine the Mike Z signal off the cloud cover.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

AXE COP posted:

Catching two or more characters in a single combo. I don't know why it's called a happy birthday, it's a fg meme thing I guess.

I'm pretty sure it started at Fanatiq's birthday fighting game stream where Yipes kept calling it a Happy Birthday during Marvel 3 play.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Hahahahahaha someone actually missed the fact that that post was in jest. That's fantastic.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Moving back to actual discussion, I watched Mike Z's Valentine walkthrough and saw that you're not allowed to DHC into Valentine's counter super, but what I'm wondering is if you can DHC out of it, either on hit or whiff. Jamcrafts???

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Aris will somehow sneak in with a wig.

You Hate to See This Kind of Thing Happen.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

If Big Band doesn't make it in playable I will be greatly disappointed.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Don't forget MrSaxamaphone and MerkMerk. This really isn't the right place for this, though.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Instead of posting a combo or whatever (I lied, I ended up posting a combo anyway) I'm just gonna list the air strings I've seen mentioned and tried with Painwheel that allow her to continue combos upon landing:

- j.HP(3 hits) XX j.HK
(On smaller characters you almost always have to follow this one with early s.LP s.MP sjc)

- j.MP(4 hits) j.HP(3 hits) XX j.HK

- j.MP(4 hits) j.HP(4 hits) XX fly, u/f j.LK j.MK
(This one seemed to not work well at all on Valentine when I was trying it just now)

- j.LK MK XX fly, d/f j.LP j.LK

I imagine a combo using the j.HP air chain starter, a j.MP starter, and the j.LK starter all in one combo would do a pretty good job as far as screen carry, if not being as efficient damage-wise. You'd just have to be careful to use a different light ground normal each time to continue the combo. After testing, I found you can do something like this:

c.LK c.MK s.HP XX fly, f j.MK c.LK s.MP sjc j.HP(3) j.HK, s.LP s.MP sjc j.MP(4) j.HP(3) j.HK, s.LK s.MP sjc j.LK j.MK XX fly, d/f j.LP j.LK, c.LP c.LK c.MP(4) f+HK+HK+HK+HK, then either pause and do qcf+LP XX super midscreen (does 6778) or immediate cancel into qcf+HK, land super if you carried close enough to the corner for it to work (does 7031).

Note that in this combo if you do the j.MP j.HP j.HK air chain before the j.HP j.HK air chain, it triggers ISP, but it won't trigger the way I wrote it.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 13, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Jetpack Postman posted:

Awesome! Thanks for some basic fly-canceling that I can practice. Out of curiosity, have you been able to figure out any BnBs that make use of Painwheel's Spin Dash? It's a neat move, but I can't figure out how to work the damned thing into anything because I'm a damned fat-fingered idiot.

I tried doing it after qcf+LP for a little bit but I kept botching the input. I'm thinking that it will see the most use after that move, cancelled out of a standing HP, or with some sort of assist combo. It seems like you can piano kicks while holding the second down input to charge up real fast, though, so people who have experience with characters like Chun Li, Honda, Gen, etc. will probably have an easier time with making use of the move.

Edit: I just tested it, and there's juuuuuust enough time to get the fully charged Spin Dash to combo when cancelled out of s.HP. Now I'm wondering if it would still work at the end of a long combo, like the one I posted before.

Also, as an improvement to the combo I posted before, the ending can be added to a bit between the c.MP(4) and the f+HK HK HK HK but inserting s.HP XX qcf+LP:

c.LK c.MK s.HP XX fly, f j.MK c.LK s.MP sjc j.HP(3) j.HK, s.LP s.MP sjc j.MP(4) j.HP(3) j.HK, s.LK s.MP sjc j.LK j.MK XX fly, d/f j.LP j.LK, c.LP c.LK c.MP(4) s.HP XX qcf+LP, f+HK+HK+HK+HK, then either pause and do qcf+LP XX super midscreen (does 6995) or immediate cancel into qcf+HK, land super if you carried close enough to the corner for it to work (does 7378).

Anyway, if I end up getting it to work, I would probably amend the end again with s.HP XX Full Spin Dash for the wall bounce, then catch them with s.MK(2) s.HP XX qcf+LP into super or something. Edit: That ender doesn't seem to connect on Filia. I'm not sure what else would be good to try after the wallbounce (and I've used up a lot of normals for starting chains as far as IPS goes already).

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Apr 13, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

This combo on Dandy J's Youtube channel is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4CGBFRioOQ

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

So this combo that I posted before:

c.LK c.MK s.HP XX fly, f j.MK c.LK s.MP sjc j.HP(3) j.HK, s.LP s.MP sjc j.MP(4) j.HP(3) j.HK, s.LK s.MP sjc j.LK j.MK XX fly, d/f j.LP j.LK, c.LP c.LK c.MP(4) s.HP XX qcf+LP, f+HK+HK+HK+HK XX qcf+HK, (does 7378ish).

Doesn't work on Ms. Fortune. However, the only problem is that s.LK s.MP does not connect in a juggle because of how thin Ms. Fortune is. Rearranging the combo by swapping the c.LK starter (after the initial fly f j.MK) and the s.LK starter (after the j.MP air series) works just fine, thankfully.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 14, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Liar Lyre posted:

HEY! Wanna know how to unlock color 10? Good ol' community manager of Reverge, Peter, says that you have to put in a code featured in another fighting game in a certain part of the game. At least that's what I read.

Yes, he said this on GAF, and then followed up later by saying someone had already guessed it in a post in the GAF Skullgirls thread. MikeZ has said it's an old school code, so my guess was the MK1 debug code of DULLARD - down up left left A right down. Other guesses included things like ABACABB, Raging Demon input, and a few others.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

That PS3 version of the code isn't working for me. I don't know if I'm just bad at inputting it on a stick or what.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

The Rokstar posted:

Oh you know what, actually if it's "Y B" on the 360 controller it'd be Triangle Circle on the PS3 controller because the 360 has the button names backwards from the SNES controller.

Still no dice with that change. Someone else on the PS3 needs to try it and see if I'm just a moron.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Alright, got it to work after reassigning a dualshock to be controller 1.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Ughhhh my Painwheel combo doesn't work on Double because she's so loving heavy I guess. The specific part that drops is the transition from j.MP(4 hits) to j.HP(3 hits). She just falls way too fast for that to work. I can instead change that portion to j.MP(4 hits) XX fly, d.f j.LP j.LK land, but then I don't think I can do another relaunch.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Ughhhh my Painwheel combo doesn't work on Double because she's so loving heavy I guess. The specific part that drops is the transition from j.MP(4 hits) to j.HP(3 hits). She just falls way too fast for that to work. I can instead change that portion to j.MP(4 hits) XX fly, d.f j.LP j.LK land, but then I don't think I can do another relaunch.

Solution found: against Double, changing the j.MP combo portion to j.MP(3 hits) j.HK works. The combo ends up being this:

c.LK c.MK s.HP XX fly, f j.MK s.LK s.MP sjc j.HP(3) j.HK, s.LP s.MP sjc j.MP(3) j.HK, c.LK s.MP sjc SLIGHT DELAY j.LK j.MK XX fly, d/f j.LP j.LK, c.LP c.LK c.MP(4) s.HP XX qcf+LP, f+HK HK HK HK XX qcf+HK, land, super (if close enough to corner, else skip qcf+HK, damage is 7208)

The slight delay I mention in there is because of you do j.LK j.MK too fast, Painwheel will be too high in the air to connect the flying d/f j.LP on Double's super fast falling self.

darealkooky posted:

That raises a good point, who should I be practicing these combos on, probably peacock because of how tiny she is right

Everyone. I've already had to adjust the general form of this combo because of Ms. Fortune being too skinny, and now I've had to change two of the air series (granted one is just slightly delaying the start of the air series) to accomodate Double. There's only eight characters, practice your bnbs against all of them.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Alright, I don't have any idea if this is good damage for Peacock or not but I think this combo looks funny so I'm posting it (two variations):

1 meter:
s.LP s.MP s.MK sjc, DELAY, j.LP j.HK dash cancel j.LP j.MP, land s.LP s.MP s.HP(2 hits) XX qcf+HP HP HP XX qcf+PP (4900-5000ish damage)

2 meter:
s.LP s.MP s.MK sjc, DELAY, j.LP j.HK dash cancel j.LP j.MP, land s.LP s.MP s.HK XX qcb+[Hold HP] XX qcf+PP, immediately after the last hit of the first super, release HP and do qcf+PP again (anywhere between 6350 and 6900, depending on the object I guess?)

This combo works because the dash cancel into the second air string bridges the gap between the initial hit of the j.HK and the bird falling back down. Doing the first series as late as possible allows you to bring the opponent back to the ground in front of you.

The timing on the delay is probably character specific, but you want to do the first j.LP about as late as possible, right as Peacock starts descending from her jump. So far I've tried this on Cerebella and Parasoul, and I'll go try the other characters now, too.

Edit: Okay, Ms. Fortune messes poo poo up as usual. Figures. Against her, the timing is super strict, and you have to juggle with c.MP XX qcf+LP XX qcf+PP after the air series. Does around 4700.
Actually, you can also make it work on her by removing the j.MP from the air series. The timing is still precise, but this at least allows you to bring her back to the ground and end the combo with the conventional 1 or 2 meter enders. It also works better on Filia and Peacock with the j.MP omitted. I assume it works on Painwheel as well but the timing is super tight.

Against Double you actually have to go straight into the j.HK when you jump because she falls like a brick.

I guess I'll have to put some more thought into other ways to make this work on the lighter characters.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 14, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I came up with a dumb wasteful combo with Painwheel utilizing all three of her supers:

c.LP c.LK c.MK c.HP XX qcb+PP(Hatred Install), j.MK XX qcf+HK, j.LK XX qcf+HK, j.LP XX qcf+HK, s.LK s.MP jc j.HP(3 hits) j.HK XX j.qcf+KK, land dash c.MP(2 hits) s.HP XX qcf+LP, dash c.LK s.MP jc j.MP(4 hits) j.HP(3 hits) j.HK, c.LP c.LK c.MP(4 hits) s.HP XX qcf+LP XX super (114ish hits, 9000ish damage, 5 meters)

She can almost certainly do better than this with Hatred Install, but I almost don't know if it's worth it to explore, considering she already has 7400ish damage 1 meter midscreen bnbs that basically carry from corner to corner.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Here's a slight improvement to the Peacock midscreen 1 meter bnb:

s.LP s.MP s.MK jc j.LP j.LK(1 hit or 3 hits, whatever you're comfortable with) j.MP dash cancel, slight pause for Peacock to actually move closer, j.LP j.MP, land s.LP s.MP c.MK c.HK XX qcb+HP, s.HP(2 hits) XX qcf+HP HP HP XX super (Close to 5k damage)

If you have two meters, you instead change the ending series to:

s.LP s.MP s.HK XX qcb+[hold HP] XX super, release HP after the final hit of the super XX super again

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Friend linked me to this and thought it may interest someone, kinda neat to see George blown up :v:

http://sprite37.tumblr.com/post/21179066163/attention-everyone-who-reblogged-the-skullgirls-clean

Sounds like someone done hosed up when they started posting that stuff.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

After visiting the SRK Painwheel thread, I shamelessly stole a couple combos from poster Urichinan: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-painwheel-thread-you-spin-me-right-round.147646/page-6#post-6811858

quote:

Off of a jump-in or cr.LK use this:

LP/LK/cr.LP/cr.LK > cr.MK > cr.HP > Fly > UF+j.MK > Fly > F+j.MK > cr.MK > cr.HP > Fly > UF/F (Wait) DF+j.LK > LP > MP > j.MP(4) > Fly > F+j.LP > j.MK > cr.LP > cr.MK > cr.HP > Fly > UF+j.HK(5) > cr.MP(4) > HP > QCF+LP > Dash > LK > cr.MK > cr.HP > Fly > j.HP(4) > Land > QCF+MK

Off of a throw, use:

Throw > Fly > F+j.LK > cr.MK > cr.HP > Fly > UF+j.MK > LP > MP > j.MP(4) > Fly > F+j.LP > j.MK > cr.LP > cr.MK > cr.HP > Fly > UF+j.HK(5) > cr.MP(4) > HP > QCF+LP > Dash > LK > cr.MK > cr.HP > Fly > j.HP(4) > Land > QCF+MK > QCF+PP (Super doesn't work on Double since it's an OTG)

If you're close enough by the end of each combo you can follow them up with an OTG cr.LK > cr.MK > cr.HP > DD+K > QCF+PP instead. But that part doesn't work on Double, however, the rest does.

The first combo does almost 7000 meterless and seems to carry corner to corner. If it carries to the corner, I've had issues with the qcf+MK not connecting, so you can omit it and instead tack on the c.LK c.MK c.HP XX d,d+K (no mash) XX super ender and be just fine.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I don't play online a lot but if someone wants to play some sets against my Painwheel/Parasoul so I can drop all my cool Painwheel combos and then look like an idiot with Parasoul, my PSN is ShadowNinja64.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Man, online in this game feels good. I was able to hit my Painwheel bnb consistently in a match spanning from STL to Toronto and it felt just like offline. So nice.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Cool Painwheel/Valentine combo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy957jykzcA&feature=player_embedded

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Rocketlex posted:

I'm amazed people are so hostile to the idea that a robust matchmaking system which pits players of relatively even skill against each other and provides players with an actual difficulty curve over the course of their online career would perhaps improve the player experience (or is possible, for that matter).

All comments like the above are doing is convincing me to not buy this game, which is exactly the opposite of the stated goals of this game, which are to provide a level of approachability to those new to fighting games.

How do you propose the game is supposed to know your skill level as compared to anyone else's without you playing (and winning or losing) a bunch of ranked matches first?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Rocketlex posted:

Well, if that's truly the case then I guess I'm out of my depth here.

Again I ask:

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

How do you propose the game is supposed to know your skill level as compared to anyone else's without you playing (and winning or losing) a bunch of ranked matches first?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Rocketlex posted:

In just one match the game could get so much data on your abilities and playstyle, even against the computer.

I'm just going to touch on this point for now, but judging playing ability by looking at matches against the AI is just not a great way of going about it. Nevermind the fact that AI can have superhuman response thanks to reading inputs, but there's also the fact that there are things humans do all the time that the AI basically is never really programmed to do. For instance, I've never really seen an AI actively set up and go for a reset situation, because it's just not programmed to intentionally drop combos like that. However, humans go for resets all the time, either by mistake or by design. AI tends to be exploitable in ways entirely different than the mindgames present in human vs. human matchups, too.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Well it is guessing pretty terribly because there is no way I am getting matched up with people I should be vov

Ranking was handled by the respective online services, not by Reverge. Blame them.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Speaking of Lab Zero, they're streaming testing or something of Squiggly at the moment: http://www.twitch.tv/labzero/new

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Liar Lyre posted:

Mile Z just announced on stream that a Mac version is being developed. This is still very far away at the moment.

The phrasing was more along the lines of "someone from the Mac community has stepped up to try and make this happen" which is waaay less definite than even the way you put it. Still a nice gesture, though, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

MikeZ streamed his attempt to rig up a makeshift mechanic exhibition for Scythana earlier: http://www.twitch.tv/labzero/b/384117945

Apparently he might stream more later, this time working on Eliza's blood mechanic.

• Locked thread