Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
BOTH VERSIONS PATCHED NOW

DLC CHARACTERS COMING STARTING IN JULY

PC BETA COMING THIS MONTH
FULL PC VERSION IN JULY HOPEFULLY

PATCH NOTES HERE http://skullgirls.com/2012/11/skullgirls-1-01-slightly-different-edition-patch-notes/

PS3 + 360 VERSIONS ARE OUT GOGOGOGOGO!!!!
PC RELEASE EVENTUALLY NO IDEA WHEN

What is Skullgirls?

Skullgirls is a team-based 2d fighting game in the vein of Marvel vs Capcom 2 that is being released on PSN and XBLA early this year.

Why should I care?

Because it's AWESOME! Here are a few interesting features that make Skullgirls unique and fun to play:

-Variable Team Sizes, meaning you can choose the size of your team: 1, 2, or 3 characters. The fewer characters you have, the more health and damage they have. However 1 character teams cannot call assists, tag, or DHC (more on those later).

-Custom Assists: Like the Marvel Vs Capcom series, you can call in your team members from offscreen to do an attack for you. However, unlike MvC where you select from pre-set assists for each character, in Skullgirls you can input any move you want, and that becomes the assist. Normals, special moves, throws, whatever you want.

-GGPO netcode, online middleware created by a fighting game player for fighting game players with the express purpose of eliminating input lag.

-Infinite Protection System or IPS: A system that is in place that recognizes if you are performing an infinite combo, and allows the other player to break out for free if you are. It isn't based on number of hits, the number of times you've used a move, or anything like that. The game actively checks your combo to see if you are looping a set of moves repeatedly.

-Awesome, hand-drawn 2d art: Rather than going the 2.5d route like Street Fighter 4 or Marvel Vs Capcom 3, Skullgirls uses all meticulously hand-drawn 2d art, allowing for crazier and more intricate animations that just aren't possible with 3d models.

Here's some videos:

Dacidbro (Painwheel) vs Mike Z (Cerebella)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCtNUYmmZD8

Chilldog (That's me!) vs Jayford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkiKwnJAdTE

So that's what's new with Skullgirls, and now I'm gonna go over a few gameplay systems that make Skullgirls tick.

Assists as mentioned before, are calling in your benched characters to attack for you. These give you better screen control and offensive potential, as well as creating opportunities for team synergy.

Supers are the most powerful attacks your character can do. Each character has two level 1 supers that cost one meter each, and one level 3 super that costs 3 meters. You can hold at max 5 meters, and you start each round with 1.

DHCs or delayed hyper combos are where you do a super with your first character, and then cancel it into a super with your second character (and optionally cancel that into your third character as well.) This greatly increases damage potential for 2 and 3 character teams, and allows you to switch characters more safely than raw tagging.

Raw Tagging is where you swap out your current point character for one of the characters you have benched. This is the only way to swap characters without spending any meter. You might consider doing this if your point character is almost dead and you want to save them. In Skullgirls, every character has a different raw tag entrance, however if your opponent is expecting it they can punish you if they block your tag.

Alpha Counters, also called team variable counters, is where you block a move and press forward + tag. This automatically switches out your point character, and your assist character quickly switches in and performs their assist. Alpha counters are extremely useful for safely switching out characters, as well as saving a character that is about to be chipped to death. Alpha counters cost 1 meter.

Those are just some of the basic gameplay mechanics in Skullgirls. If you are new to fighting games or just want to expand your knowledge of the genre, I recommend you check out the SA Fighting Game Thread which has an awesome OP with a ton of information on how these types of games work. I also highly recommend the Skullgirls SRK Wiki which has a lot of in-depth info on Skullgirls and its characters. Feel free to ask any questions you have about the game here, and I'm sure I or someone else will be able to help you out.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Characters

Filia

Filia is a rushdown character through-and-through. She is a high schooler who one day woke up with a parasite named Samson stuck to her head, and no knowledge of her past. Samson can transform into many different creatures and items, and uses these transformations to help Filia fight. Filia is extremely fast, particularly in the air, and plays a lot like Magneto from MvC2, with a little SF2 Ryu thrown in as well.

Cerebella

Cerebella is a grappler character, kind of like Zangief from SF or Iron Tager from BlazBlue. Unlike those characters, however, she can move very fast and has a variety of useful movement options. Cerebella is a circus performer with ties to the mafia. She uses her Living Weapon hat, Vice-Versa, to perform feats of acrobatics, and to rough up anyone who crosses the Medici crime family. She uses Vice-Versa's massive arms for most of her attacks and throws, and she can also use them to glide through the air for a short time. Cerebella is a highly damaging character, and if she is played on a solo team she can decimate other teams extremely quickly once she gets in.

Peacock

Peacock is a young girl who loves cartoons, and was transformed by the Anti-Skullgirl Labs into a biomechanical tool of destruction. She uses a wide variety of weapons and robotic friends, like her mechanical bird Avery, to massacre opponents from afar. She is primarily a keepaway character, using projectiles and traps to hold the other player at bay. Up close she has a few options, but her movement is very slow and her normal moves don't have much range, which means that she works best with a close-range assist backing her up. Her humorous personality and wide variety of pop-culture references make her a fan favorite.

Parasoul

Parasoul is a well-rounded character that has quick normals with very good range and powerful projectiles. She is the crown princess of the Canopy Kingdom, and commands the kingdom's military forces. She can call in soldiers to perform attacks for her, or to act as bodyguards. She wields a living umbrella named Krieg that can hurl napalm at the opponent. She can lay napalm traps on the screen, limiting the opponent's movement and giving her the opportunity to set up her potent close-range mixups. Parasoul is considered by some (myself included) to be the best solo team character.

Ms Fortune

Ms Fortune is a CAT burglar (get it) who stole an item called the Life Gem from the Medici mafia. The life gem has made her undying, which allowed her to survive being cut into many pieces in retribution for her crime. Now she can use her detachable body parts to fight, allowing her to stretch her limbs to have longer range, spray blood out of her legs to propel herself forward, and even remove her head and use it to attack from afar. She can leave her head anywhere on stage, and use it to apply pressure from wherever she moves it to.

Painwheel

Painwheel is a young girl who was captured by Anti-Skullgirl Labs and turned into a monster. She is infused with Skullgirl blood, and she has a large blade wheel fused to her spine. She can use this wheel to attack, and she can also spin it to fly around like a helicopter. The more pain Painwheel is in the stronger she becomes, so a lot of her attacks have her contorting herself in unpleasant ways to damage the opponent. She can also charge up many of her attacks, and absorb damage the opponent inflicts to deal it back to them. Her fast fly speed makes her play somewhat like MvC2 sentinel, and her armored normals are kind of like The Incredible Hulk or Juggernaut.

Valentine

Valentine is a former employee of Anti-Skullgirl Labs, and she is very evil. She attacks with a variety of medical equipment like bonesaws, poisoned hypodermic needles, defibrillators, and IV stands. She is very quick on the ground, and is inspired by ninja-like characters such as Strider or Ibuki with her kunai throws and izuna drops.

Double

Double is a shapeshifting abomination. Normally she looks like a pulsating blob of assorted body parts, but she can turn herself into anyone she wants on a whim. She has several attacks that are stolen from other characters, and some that are new to the game, and others that are based on stolen moves, but have different properties and effects.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 1, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Finished the character section and added some match videos to the OP.

The Hater posted:

Who is everone's favorite skullgirl? Mine is Peacock

Painwheel.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You can see some valentine play in this video and a couple others:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utTkNKi5epc

Also, if any midwest goons are gonna be at Frosty Faustings this saturday in Chicago, I'm gonna be there and so is Skullgirls.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PalmTreeFun posted:

I'm hype for this game. Out of curiosity, does this game have wavedashing?

Yes. However Parasoul, Painwheel, and Cerebella cannot wavedash as they can't crouch-cancel their dashes.

You can also hold forward during a dash to run (the aforementioned characters also cannot run).

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Is Cerabella's grab super a 720

No it's a 360.

Side note, all moves that are throws are done with the throw input (lp+lk).

Cerebella's regular command throw is qcf+throw. Her anti-air throw is DP+throw. Her air command throw is qcf+throw in the air, and her super throw is 360+throw.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

aldantefax posted:

Whether or not that forthcoming DLC is going to include male characters is also up for speculation (like a majority of this game is)!

There will be dudes as DLC.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
This discussion doesn't really belong in this thread, as this is for gameplay discussion. If you want to discuss sexism in games I highly recommend you check out this thread.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

IDOLA posted:

When is this actually coming out? Does it have a confirmed release date or is it a nebulous target like "Q2 2012".

I mean, sure, I'm looking forward to playing this but have no idea when I would be able to.

It doesn't have a confirmed release date but you won't have to wait long.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

As people said, it's a six-button game, but it seems like it will be pretty pad-friendly regardless. I don't know how tight the inputs are, other than the man Chilldog himself not being able to do a DP on a pad during a WNF - c'mon, dude -, but I'll wager they aren't painfully tight like KoF. So we should be fine.

UltraDavid backed me up on that, the pad was hosed up. YOU ALL HEARD IT.

Mike Z is going out of his way to make sure this game is pad-friendly, and is trying to make setting button macros and stuff as easy and useful as possible. He's also been consulting with MvC2 and 3 tourney player Fanatiq (who plays on pad) to get his advice. I've played it pretty extensively on a 360 pad and have been able to do all the stuff I need to do just fine.

E:

quote:

To clarify - KoF13 has many input shortcuts to make doing some sequences of moves easier, but it has very little input leniency (a la SF4). Do we know what the situation is for Skullgirls?

The game has some input leniency, more than the SF2 series, but less than the SF4 series. If you've played SF3: Third Strike, the input leniency is just about what it was there.

There are also some tricks being used to make inputs more user-friendly. There are input buffers during jumps and airdashes that make it so you can do instant airdash attacks as low as possible off the ground without having to time it perfectly. Same goes for flying attacks with Painwheel. Also, there is a script that detects if you are doing a 360 motion, and if you are it prevents you from jumping. That way you can easily do Cerebella's 360 super raw without jumping.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 4, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

raditts posted:

This game looks pretty cool gameplay-wise but the character designs look like they jumped right out of some teenager's Deviantart. What's with the movie motif, is that relevant to the game/plot in some way or did they just think it was something neat to put in?

It's not directly plot-related, just an overarching theme. For example, supers are referred to in-game as Blockbuster Moves and DHCs are Ensemble Attacks, and other stuff like that. It's meant to fit in with the art deco/golden age of cinema motif.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Archenteron posted:

Will the Boss (Currently assuming it's going to be Parasoul's Mother the Skullgirl but hey it could be one of the guys or Powered Up Skullgirl Mode <Random Other Playable Character>) be a playable character? Unlockable? Secret code? Laughably overpowered, or will a playable version be normal strength? How SNK Hellboss are you planning on making it?

I really wish I could talk about the boss but I don't think I can, sorry!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PalmTreeFun posted:

Can the 360 detector misfire when trying to TK air moves?

I guess technically, however it's only turned on for Cerebella because (so far) she is the only one with a 360 input. It also only detects 360s if you start from back and do a half-circle forward, or start from forward and do a half-circle back. So if you want to do something like tiger knee air command throw, just start at down and you won't have any problems.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

emoticon posted:

Are you working on this game?

I was an intern at Reverge over the summer, and now I take the game to tournaments and other events whenever I get the chance in between college stuff.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PalmTreeFun posted:

I'd kill to have been an intern over there. Where is Reverge based?

Marina Del Rey, kind of near Santa Monica.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

So are all these characters in the game?

Only 8 of them will be in the game at release. Not at liberty to discuss if/when the others will come as DLC.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Can you tell us why Umbrella's umbrella is so weird and gross

It's alive.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Why would a little girl have a living umbrella, this game is dumb.

A wizard did it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jimson posted:

Game seems awesome I am looking forward to it but have a few questions.

How accessible will this be to people who are terrible at fighters? Will I still enjoy it, and find it fun, or will I hate every moment of it and want to turn it off after the first match? When I say terrible, I mean really bad, but me and my friends like to play fighters like MvC and the like when ever were bored.

How much fun can I expect to have on singleplayer? I know fighters are entirely based around fighting other people, but sometimes I like to pop in MvC2 and just play around with the computers getting my rear end kicked at every turn.

The team is trying very hard to make the game accessible to people who aren't hardcore FG players. There's a really in-depth tutorial system that teaches you different aspects of the game, from movement to defense to mixups, and a bunch of other stuff. I got my roommate, who has basically 0 experience in fighting games to run through the tutorials, and according to him he had a great time and learned some valuable stuff about the genre.

The single-player modes are pretty legit actually, there is a story mode for each character as well as an arcade mode that's pretty much what you would expect. I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to talk about, but I think people will really enjoy the story exposition in the single player.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Trykt posted:

Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? Filia is actually the character I'm leaning towards wanting to play the most, just a straight up legit rushdown character. I tend to gravitate towards the "main" characters of FGs anyway since they tend to have a relatively strong, simple style which appeals to me as far as learning the game goes; but I'm curious as to how Filia is going to make my Ryu boner feel in more specific ways.

I'm also thinking ideally I'd want her to be in a 2 person team with someone supporting her to help her get in (if she needs it) or extend combos (if she doesn't). How plausible is it to pair her with the equivalent of a beam assist from Marvel 3, or at least a great projectile?

The similarities to Ryu end pretty quickly, but she has a (lovely) fireball, a DP, and a tatsu(kind of?) so there's that. She also has a broken cr.mk, though it's not broken in the way Ryu's is.

She doesn't really need help getting in, she's probably the best character in the game at that. More than anything, she needs an assist that will help her maintain rushdown pressure. If you do a tri jump, then cr.lk cr.mk, if it hits great do a combo. If it doesn't hit though, she's kind of done since cr.mk is like -1 on block, and nothing she can cancel it into is +frames. So that's where an assist comes in, you can call the assist during a blockstring and then use the blockstun from the assist to get a ton of mixups. You'll notice that Cerecopter is especially brutal in this situation since it's like a hundred hits and gives you time for several mixup attempts.

E: If you're looking for an all-arounder character like Ryu who excels at all ranges I recommend Parasoul. She doesn't have an airdash or wavedash so she's not as mobile as Filia or Valentine but she is second only to Peacock in the keepaway game, and up close she has great normals and good high/low with her command overheads.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 5, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Well, that sounds like it means that if you wiff the normal throw, you don't blow the meter on the super. Which makes it sound really drat good.

Yes this is how it works.

Peacock's level 3 exists, from my understanding, in order to fill in a hole in her gameplay when she gets 3 meters i.e. with enough meter she becomes scary up close and far away.

Also, the most broken super that no one ever talks about is Lenny aka the giant bomb super. Mark my words that one is gonna be used all the time once the game is out.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Groghammer posted:

Peacock throws out a humongous, slowly moving bomb. It walks toward the opponent and blows up when dealt enough damage or after a certain period of time. It damages Peacock, too.

I can see it doing some really nasty things with an opponent in the corner.

Close! the bomb doesn't actually walk, it's moved when either player attacks it. It actually has a health bar that slowly ticks down, and any damage you do to it is taken from its health bar, and it explodes once its health is 0.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Does the bomb stop player movement or attacks at all?

Yes. Projectiles disappear (1 hit of them at least) whenever they hit something, so peacock can't shoot through the bomb and hit you, Lenny takes all the hits. Lenny also is treated like a standing character, meaning when you walk into him he slows you down.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Can you block the explosion? Like, can you put down the bomb and then just down-back inside his hit box while the other person gets blown up?

Also, what does Diamonds are Forever actually do? It's a level 3, right?

e: Is there anything you can't discuss concerning the characters that have already been demoed, or is basically everything about them from alt colors to frame data open knowledge?

Lenny is blockable. Both players can be hit by it, and both can block it. He's treated like an assist where you block towards the other player, so no Lenny unblockables. However, peacock can teleport behind you or in front of you which opens up the door for some sweet Lenny+teleport crossups, especially after a snapback.

In addition to what was already talked about, Cerebella's lv3 has infinite super armor on it (e: beaten). So you can go through peacock supers with it and stuff. It also wall bounces so you can combo off it. Finally, it's Cerebella's only projectile so use it wisely!

I think I can talk about whatever I want for chars 1-6 but I think there's some stuff about Valentine I gotta keep quiet until her gameplay trailer comes out. She has some unique new mechanics that should be exciting.

As for frame data and stuff, I know almost none of it offhand. I can go dig through some files to find it if i really want to, but I haven't really bothered much, except in a few cases to find what stuff is safe etc.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fayk posted:

New question, did they ever put in anything to allow life regen or lessened chip for a single-person team?

No. The idea was thrown around several times but the bottom line has always been they don't need it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Liar Lyre posted:

Here's some minor SG related news.

The game was out at Frosty Faustings today, where Justin Wong and Floe were playing for about 6 hours. Hopefully that will give the game some more positive publicity and more people will be willing to play now that Jutin approves.

The community manager Ravidath has also said that in the upcoming week we should be seeing a mess of new videos. Match vids? Character walkthroughs? Trailers? Time to speculate folks.

Just to clarify, the game was at FF today but justin and floe were not. They played the game a few days ago, completely independent of this tournament.

Shoutouts to everyone who came and played, I'm gonna sleep a hundred hours now.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Fun posted:

Have they been demoing the tutorial mode? I just see a lot of people in this thread talking about how it'll be the bee's knees, but I haven't heard/seen anything since a discussion of the basic framework.

Single-player modes have been turned off at public demos and tournaments and such, but there's some previews where they've tried out the tutorials, like this one.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Assists take about 10% extra damage, it's the same as they did in mvc2. "Happy birthdays" can still happen but you don't get to just sneeze on an assist and kill them.

Also the UI and graphics are definitely HD oriented, I've played the game on a CRT a few times and stuff is pretty small. I guess this is a common thread with current gen consoles, but yeah if you want to enjoy the game to its fullest I recommend HD.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jetpack Postman posted:

Since I haven't chimed in on the "Who's your favorite" discussion yet, my team of choice is looking like it's going to be Valentine and Peacock. These videos posted earlier show that Valentine looks pretty drat fun to play. Peacock needs to real explanation. Not sure how well they synergize as a team, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. No use thinking too far ahead.

I have actually played this team a lot. One nasty setup is that valentine's s.HK chain (the IV attack) puts them into a sliding knockdown. Then, you can call peacock's bomb car assist, dash up, and you're basically set up for a really hard to read crossup. Plus, you can mix that up with her throw, which crumples them setting up a free combo. <3 valentine.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jetpack Postman posted:

Well gently caress, and here I thought I was going away from the popular builds by not picking Cerebella. Oh well, hahaha. Does Valentine have any supers besides her Dio Brando one? Not that it matters that much - a well aimed super that has most of the scalpels hit looks pretty beastly.

Valentine has 2 more supers (a lv1 and a lv3) that are still being tweaked and haven't been in public builds yet.

quote:

Does her normal throw crumples or is that a command throw?

Speaking of throws, is Cerebella's super throw avoidable after the flash?

Her normal throw crumples. Also her air throw does not.

Cerebella's 360 super cannot be jumped out of after the flash, but it does have a few frames of startup before the flash.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zaa Boogie posted:

The defibrillator is actually her snapback.

She also has a defib super, but yeah in all the builds it's been usable it didn't do anything. Kind of like her poison needle move.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jetpack Postman posted:

Despite living in fighting game Mecca (SoCal), I can't believe I miss all these events. Those fights were pretty good and certainly promise better to come. On the upside, I apparently live a good hour away from where Revenge Studios is. So if anyone is able to provide a potato sack and a bat I could probably abduct meet up with Crofts to see if I can make him spill the beans.*

*No, I really won't.

I'm at college currently, in Indiana. So what I'm saying is bring it on.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Indiana is cool because they have Pizza King.

Holy poo poo give this man some respect. Pizza King is fantastic.

quote:

content: actually crofts (or anyone i guess) do you now if they plan to post the rest of the top 8? I do want to have somthing to show to everyone about "hey here's how to beat day -1 peacock stuff".

The reverge community director is in charge of FNFs and all the other video content, and I'm pretty sure he said that they'll all be uploaded eventually.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lank posted:

Christ, I haven't seen anything showcase how smooth and gorgeous this game looks while being played until those gametrailer vids. Good lord.

60fps makes a huge difference.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Liar Lyre posted:

What's interesting is that Cerebella has a similar move, but instead of invincibility it's a couple hits of armor. It's also not as fast or as easy to pull off. Still effective without being as stupid.

Only the run move has armor (1 hit). The cross-up followup itself doesn't have armor and can be stuffed or thrown for free.

E: also I double-checked and yes, the entire top 8 of SCR will be uploaded on gametrailers.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 10, 2012

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Relambrien posted:

Having an input buffer should be able to remove one-frame links though, shouldn't it? For example, if you input a command during the last five frames of recovery, have it come out on the first frame afterward. That turns a one-frame link into a five-frame link.

Doesn't Blazblue do something like this? Or am I totally wrong?

Yes an input buffer would make one-frame links easier. However there would be no point, since links (besides stuff like post-launcher and post-dash cancel juggles) are basically irrelevant in games with a magic series combo system. So anyway, 1-frame links technically will exist but there's no point in using them since you can combo so easily with chains and all links will really do is make you trigger IPS faster.

Brother Entropy posted:

Any word on how double snapbacks will work? With all the inspiration from MvC2 should we be expecting launcher infinites?

Double snaps snap out both characters. If you kill a character while still comboing an assist, you can infinitely combo the assist however they'll drop out if you trigger IPS.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PalmTreeFun posted:

How so?

Because IPS triggers at the start of combo sections. If you do a link, you are ending one section and starting another so you're basically having to use up more of your normals so you can't do your combo as long.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

uncleKitchener posted:

My question is this: Is this game going to have a semi-decent training mode where it explains all the basics of 2D fighters and mechanics used and let you do some challenging combos later on? I loving hate training modes in Fighting games with the sole exception of Virtua Fighter 4: Evo.

I come from a 3D background so I don't know poo poo about 2D except basic stuff like Footsies and other bunch of random terms people throw around in commentaries.

Might I refer you to this post on the first page.

quote:

It will teach you how to play.

Unlike some other recent fighters, rather than make you go through obscure challenge modes filled with slot machines or outright give you a mode that lets you mash, Skullgirls will have a comprehensive Tutorial Mode. It'll teach you how to block, what a mixup is, what cancels are, the works. It also has a practice room designed to assist your learning of the game as much as possible.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cat Machine posted:

I was under the impression that this game was gonna be closer executionally to MvC2 than anything else, what with the tighter chains and whatnot.

It's much much easier execution-wise than MvC2, but not as easy as MvC3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

All I know about complex input motions is that Geese Howard's raising storm and the huge demon from Samurai Shodown's command grab can go gently caress each other for all I care.

I love Geese but gently caress the pretzel motion.

Speaking of loving, how tight are dps in the game? Are they closer to SF4 or SF3?

SF3. Quite a few input things are modeled after 3S (input, throw tech, and reversal windows).

• Locked thread