Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Fixit
Mar 7, 2008
Quick question: Do one frame links exist in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Fixit
Mar 7, 2008

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

You're asking the wrong question here. As long as fighting games rely on the dual conventions of startup/active/recovery frames and hitstun/blockstun (bundled together into the overarching concept of frame advantage), links will exist, including and especially one frame links. What you should be asking is what kind of importance the game system puts on links versus chains or other cancels.

Fair enough, I guess what I was really fishing for is will this game play more like SF4 or Marvel with its combo system. When I think of SF4, and the glass ceiling that I hit it was due to one frame links.

It seems with what the others have answered though, that this will play more like Marvel which was what I was hoping for.

Mr Fixit
Mar 7, 2008
I finally got some time to play this yesterday, cleared the tutorial and story modes. I'm loving this game so far.

Also, just a FYI for anybody else trying to unlock everything. I beat arcade on ridiculous mode, and it didn't unlock a new color or achievement.

I suppose its time to try online and see how ggpo plays. This is the first FG I've played that uses this method, so I'm interested to see how it performs.

Mr Fixit
Mar 7, 2008
I've been hesitant to get into the hornet bomber discussion, because I was hoping that the community would come up with some tech that would serve as a feasible counter, and I felt it was perhaps too early to start considering poo poo broken.

Unfortunately, a few people have taken to actively trolling the local weekly tourny with the assist to the point where they have killed the interest in the game, and now Skullgirls is being dropped off the list after just 2 weeks.

Now you could argue my local scene is a bunch of fickle bitches who were just waiting to go back to KOF, and I would have to agree, but that doesn't help the fact that now I'm back to playing this online only, and it is literally due to this one damned assist.

Mr Fixit
Mar 7, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

Mike Z's rant about hornet bomber:

Also he posted this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-FNZX6qqlA

I agree with most of his post. Sadly this does nothing to get Skullgirls back in the local tourney rotation.

I guess I'll just wait on that counter tech to evolve, and hope the game gets another chance at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Fixit
Mar 7, 2008
So it seems like regularly you can't call an assist and do a special move at the same time. But I've found that if you use the 7th and 8th buttons (the ones assigned by default as assist macros) plus a special move, both will come out at the same time.

With certain characters, this shortcut is even more powerful! For example if you do qcb+assist button with Peacock, she will do her fake teleport, automatically do the cancel into bomb, and call an assist. Thats an awful lot for one fireball.

• Locked thread