Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The Hater posted:

Who is everone's favorite skullgirl? Mine is Peacock
Parasoul for sure. She has so many homages to classic fighting games in her moveset, and I just think she looks all-round solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Gamest Mook posted:

It's specifically to ghettoize discussion so sperglord nerds who can't handle such topics being discussed without going into an indignant privileged rage about it don't have their forum posting experience upset, yeah. Just ignore the discussion if you don't want to talk about it, I promise it will go away much faster that way since at least half the posts in these arguments are always arguing about the argument itself.
We're in the Games subforum, where people discuss video games... This debate is more the domain of D&D or the specific thread in Games where people go to talk about these issues.

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, I understand that there's a time and place for these discussions, but it does really seem pretty bad when the second somebody brings it up, someone goes "Nope, there's a separate thread for this discussion". I mean, this is the Skullgirls thread. If you want it to be the thread for discussing Skullgirls gameplay only, then make it the Skullgirls gameplay only thread.
People are trying to move the argument to another thread because it's been had at least six or seven times before this thread was made and nobody can tolerate it any more.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Gamest Mook posted:

No, this is Skullgirls discussion so it goes in the Skullgirls thread.
But so often it's simply used as a launchpad to talking about sexism in fighting games and video games in general. It very rarely focuses on the game itself. Every time this debate has erupted, people almost immediately go off topic and start personally attacking each other/accusing each other of being paedophiles.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

big duck equals goose posted:

I don't think that argument will hold up when you bring home someone from the bar and try to explain why having a bunch of Sailor Moon wall scrolls shouldn't deter them from having sex with you.
See, this is what I'm talking about above. What does this have to do with Skullgirls?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Will this have a pc release? I really cannot see a company working hard to make this viable on an ipad (...really? I mean, really?) and not port it on to steam or something.
Yes, but it won't be concurrent with the console release iirc

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

rocket USA posted:

ANYWAYS the game is a lot of fun even though I'm a boring jerk who only picks solo Parasoul. The one really big 'feel' thing I think will surprise people is how tight the buffer is for chaining normals compared to something like MvC3.
So it's closer to MVC2? Awesome.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I was under the impression that this game was gonna be closer executionally to MvC2 than anything else, what with the tighter chains and whatnot.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Are you allowed to do mandatory installs on the 360?
No, because not all 360s have hard drives. There are a few games where you get visible enhancements as a result of installing (Battlefield 3 comes to find), but there aren't any games that force you to write to disk.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Moving back to actual discussion, I watched Mike Z's Valentine walkthrough and saw that you're not allowed to DHC into Valentine's counter super, but what I'm wondering is if you can DHC out of it, either on hit or whiff. Jamcrafts???
That's kinda weird. I actually like some of the tactics you can do with DHCs in/out of counter supers in MVC3, so I would be sad to see that it isn't in there.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Is there anywhere you can get Skullgirls promotional art - character portraits, etc.?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

GOD THIS GAME IS SO CLOSE NOW I CAN ALMOST TOUCH IT AAAAAAAAH

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Having great fun so far!! I really enjoyed the 'handling pressure' tutorial - it would actually be pretty cool in the future to see a fighting game where the dummy can be set to dole out random high/low pressure and staggered strings.

Playing Peacock/Filia just now, though I'll probably step up to a triple-team once I've got these two down.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yeah the menu load times are pretty atrocious on mine, but actual in-game loads feel standard.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Renoistic posted:

Same here. I'm more upset than I really should be.
Why not make a US PSN account?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Peacock feels like this weird facsimile of Cable, BB Hood and LeiLei to me, it's pretty cool

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I got an achievement for spamming IAD j.MP with Filia, feels good

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

kaujot posted:

LI Joe is streaming the game, but he and his friends are playing only 1v1 and it's bumming me out.

http://www.twitch.tv/thisislijoe
Playing 1v1 at this stage kinda makes sense, it's a good way to learn a character.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

What were the results of the tournament??

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Copper Vein posted:

I'm disappointed that this game has to follow, and I'm disappointed that I bought in.
It's a $15 indie game.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Friendly Friend posted:

Is Valentine's lvl 3 supposed to be paying homage to the teamsp00ky logo? Because I'm getting that vibe.
I don't know about that, but Spooky and NerdJosh are in the 'Special Thanks' section of the credits.

Also Peacock with slow bombs, frequent front/back teleports and Filia's HK hairball assist is soooooooooo dirty, I love it.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

This kind of discussion should really go in the FG thread, but here's some info to start you off:

There have been plenty of good players who play on pad - Fanatiq and Wolfkrone are probably two of the most prolific. Playing pad for Skullgirls is entirely viable, however I know some pad players who have been having problems with this game because many of the inputs are kinda awkward and require some contortion (e.g. one guy I know likes to have a single-button dash but if he binds PP to something he can't have two assist inputs)

If you don't want to put down a lot of money on a stick, I would recommend the MadCatz Brawl stick. It's made of fairly cheap parts but is designed to be modable by a complete rookie, so if you decide you're comfortable with a stick, you can gut the cheap parts and put in new ones at a low cost.

If you want a stick that can work on both consoles, you can either put a dual PCB into most arcade sticks or buy a Qanba Q4RAF/Eightarc. Converters are also available at etokki:
http://etokki.com/

Here's a good guide about sticks:
http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/what-stick-controller-should-i-buy-read-the-guide-on-pg-1-before-posting.137321/

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Peacock (whatever)/Filia (Updo LP)/Double (Bomber HK) has to be one of the gayest keepaway teams of all time :twisted:

LP Updo basically gives you the ability to freely teleport out of the corner and Bomber followed by shots into super has to be one of the longest opening for a combo ever

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

darealkooky posted:

S'like, I know literally nothing about making videogames, but couldn't they have had more time to add features/characters if they didn't spend so much time on graphics that cause huge shitstorms and take up lots of time?
Yeah because the guys who done the graphics are also programmers, am I right???

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Count Bleck posted:

I can't seem to find second person to pair with Peacock that I actually enjoy playing. :sigh:

Painwheel is cool but I can't do fly combos to save my life.
Double has the awesome assist that helps Peacock a shitton but she's disgusting and the only thing I like about her is the car super which I wish Peacock had anyway.

Cerebella might be cool though, anybody know a good assist for her?
Her lariat is very good with Peacock. I would also recommend Filia with LP Updo.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

That combo doesn't work - you can tech out of it.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

flatluigi posted:

Not enough buttons.
The back/select button? That's how you taunt in everything that isn't 3S or SF4.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Wow it's almost as if knowing combos doesn't entitle you to wins?? Who would have thought!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

You have no idea :smith:, it is easier to explain this kinda stuff over chat or just answer singular questions.
If you just used the spacebar once in a while you'd be fine

• Locked thread