Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

You're asking the wrong question here. As long as fighting games rely on the dual conventions of startup/active/recovery frames and hitstun/blockstun (bundled together into the overarching concept of frame advantage), links will exist, including and especially one frame links. What you should be asking is what kind of importance the game system puts on links versus chains or other cancels.

Having an input buffer should be able to remove one-frame links though, shouldn't it? For example, if you input a command during the last five frames of recovery, have it come out on the first frame afterward. That turns a one-frame link into a five-frame link.

Doesn't Blazblue do something like this? Or am I totally wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It actually doesn't anyway, because inputting something TOO fast can be wrong as well! It does largely eliminate them though, because most hard links do require you to hit the button as soon as it is possible to do so.

Yeah I was considering mentioning that when you need to wait between hits to continue the combo later (I play Litchi in BB, so this is painfully familiar to me), an input buffer wouldn't do anything. I figure that's outside the realm of what links are usually considered though, particularly in games like SF4.

But at that point it's really just semantics, so oh well. Thanks for the responses all.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen
If anyone wants to watch a stream, my university fighting game club is streaming Skullgirls tonight at http://www.twitch.tv/team2a

• Locked thread