Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'm so goddamned excited for this game. I just adore the art and animation. It's got that perfect blend of anime (which I don't care much for) and Tex Avery cartoons (which I love).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

big duck equals goose posted:

Here is a Tex cartoon

Here is Skullgirls.

:confused: I guess I just don't see it?
Here's a better comparison.

Tex Avery girl
Skullgirl

The big comparison comes from the over exaggerated proportions and the eyes just a bit. Anime on the other hand has more realistic proportions except for in the face. If you need more comparisons and sources, I'd be happy to provide. I just love talking about animation and character design.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It's that whole gamut of early animation with very seductive women in it. Peacock's the only character (so far) to go beyond the basic style and go full on cartoon land.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Someone should link the Skullgirls page on the SRK wiki somewhere in the OP. It's incredibly detailed and the game is not even in beta yet.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

PalmTreeFun posted:

Kind of like Darkstalkers 3, except not as an actual character? That's kind of neat, but they'd have to be generic monsters so that you could have a team of three of them.

I'd still want to play it as an actual character though, because it owns.
IIRC, Mike Z said And I Must Scream (officially called Double) will be more than a mirror match or someone like Seth. He also said there will not be someone who is boss exclusive. If it's a fighter, it's a playable fighter.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Rockiavelli posted:

But to be fair "Panzerfaust" is a cool name that is consistent with a big ol' German guy and "Panzerfist" sounds like the world's worst sex move.
Don't worry. The character's name is Panzerfaust, not Panzerfist.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Rockiavelli posted:

Really? You don't say.
oh....It looks like I misread something.

Well here's a another cool feature in the game to add to the OP. If you're in a match and you want to hop into training mode, pause the game and hit all 3 punches. It's not officially in, but it's in the current build and everyone loves it, so it will more than likely be in the final build

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Sade posted:

Another mechanics question to get people away from this loving retarded derail seriously shut the hell up: What are charge times like in this game? Games with chain-heavy mechanics like this and the versus games tend not to be very kind to charge characters, but lots of characters have charge specials. Can someone who's spent some time with the game (Chilldog save us) compare the average charge times to other games?
Charge is 35f and the game runs at 60fps, so about half a second.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Fayk posted:

New question, did they ever put in anything to allow life regen or lessened chip for a single-person team?
No, but it's not really needed because you have 200% health and 175% damage when solo compared to a person on a team of 3. It might be the other way around, but you're still a tank when solo.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It's like one random super can kill a character. Perfect example here. Plus snapbacks are an excellent option since you don't have to worry about DHCs. It kinda balances out in the end.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

S-Alpha posted:

Even though I'm not big on six-button fighters, I'm still probably gonna get this just so I can run a solo Cerebella team and work towards the glorious state of grappler superiority. I'm willing to sacrifice the ability to get in easily for sheer loving power of everything she does.
You'd be glad to know that she's like Wesker compared to most other grapplers. Armored command dash with fantastic follow ups, pseudo air dash from a held j.hp, and some other fantastic openers make her one of the best grapplers seen in a long time. Along with the unique motion for a command grab and you will have no problem getting in if you play half way decent.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Besides, we actually were talking about how much damage a lone character does to a team of three.

Speaking of damage and health, everyone in Skullgirls will have the same base health. Yes, the huge dude with a tank fist has as much endurance as a little girl win an umbrella.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Kitfox88 posted:

I just realized the blades that pop out of Peacock's gun are the Buster Sword and Fireseal, at least that I've seen so far. I'm going to play the poo poo out of her.
You have no idea on he amount of references she has. From Looney Tunes to Guilty Gear and everything in between. That's one of the things I like most about this game, the shear amount of references there are amongst the entire cast. Like one of Ms. Fortune's moves being "Fiber Uppercut".

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Here's some minor SG related news.

The game was out at Frosty Faustings today, where Justin Wong and Floe were playing for about 6 hours. Hopefully that will give the game some more positive publicity and more people will be willing to play now that Jutin approves.

The community manager Ravidath has also said that in the upcoming week we should be seeing a mess of new videos. Match vids? Character walkthroughs? Trailers? Time to speculate folks.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Evil Canadian posted:

Valentines day is on a Tuesday...

There may be something to this theory.

*ed*

Wait though, do dlc games release on Tuesdays? I don't even know.
DL games DO come out on Tuesdays. SG and Twisted on the same day. If that's true, I don't think I'd be able to contain myself.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Monolith. posted:

The game looks pretty neat but the sword stab move by the girl with the huge arms looks kind of broken with all the health it takes off.
Well it does no damage to red health so if you're on a team you can recover from all of it. Plus it has most of the normal problems with a command Throw super.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

What's interesting is that Cerebella has a similar move, but instead of invincibility it's a couple hits of armor. It's also not as fast or as easy to pull off. Still effective without being as stupid.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I think the guy updating it is working in some way on the game because he's already got all the data for Valentine ready to go. Plus how else did he get the exact damage numbers for the game already?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Zaa Boogie posted:

The stuff for Valentine is just placeholders, though. There's no way all of her attacks are going to deal 100 damage each. :v:
I know. I'm saying that he said on SRK that he's got all the info right now, probably in a text file somewhere, ready to go at the push of a button. The community is on top of things.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

uncleKitchener posted:

My question is this: Is this game going to have a semi-decent training mode where it explains all the basics of 2D fighters and mechanics used and let you do some challenging combos later on? I loving hate training modes in Fighting games with the sole exception of Virtua Fighter 4: Evo.

I come from a 3D background so I don't know poo poo about 2D except basic stuff like Footsies and other bunch of random terms people throw around in commentaries.
That's a major selling point. The game's gonna teach you how to block a mixup and perform a mixup.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Countblanc posted:

You'll be able to hear it as much as you want come February 14th, the release date of Skullgirls.
Whao, stop. Back it up. Is this official or still a rumor?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

What I heard is that one of the early DLC dudes is going to be a wrestler called Beowulf with a steel chair called The Hurting.

For the price, I heard some where below $20. That's not bad, especially if they can push it to 10
or 15

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Word is it's more than likely, but it'll be after the initial release. Hey, if it does good enough it might get a disc release with all the dlc.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It also changes Furrserker Purrage finish from a sliding knockdown to a juggle-ish hit. Also for defense purposes you take more if you and the head are hit. If you don't capitalize on having a "shadow", you will bite it big time.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

apophenium posted:

I vaguely remember hearing that all the DLC characters would be free. Is that still a thing?

E: Also is Skullgirls gonna be at Final Round by any chance? Or maybe it'll have been released by then

Free dlc will definitely NOT happen, except for patches and maybe some minor things (backgrounds, music, colors, etc).

I checked the Final Round website, and they won't have an official tourney there. However, you can almost guarantee they will be there to show the game off whether it's been released or not. Isn't that right, Jmcrofts?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

You know how the night and cathedral levels have atrocious lighting? well right after the FNF this week, they changed it. They say that characters will blend less into the backgrounds. Hallelujah!

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but is there a projected price for the game yet?

Would be helpful if the response was in pounds, as I live in the UK.

No price is confirmed yet. It has been said it will be cheap. I'm not sure about pounds, but it might be the same price as Third Strike but likely even less.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'll feel bad if Skullgirls doesn't get released on Valentines Day. They'll have to move the holiday to when it's released.

Real talk: When is Wednesday Night Fights coming back and will SkullGirls come with it?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I hope that means the last character is in, ready to be shown off soon!

Hella cool match, and Valentine's level 3 is stunning.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I'd be down for getting my butt kicked if we have a tourney.

I'd probably stick to Peacock because I'm bad at fighting games. 420 keep away e'ry day.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Here is a good 3v1 where 1 wins. And it's with Peacock who is considered a fairly weak solo character.
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=Y6SuATsMg80

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

According to this, there's a Playstation blog post for Skullgirls incoming. Last character? DLC? Pandora mode? X Factor? Release date (which is Valentines Day BTW)?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It's a Roman Cancel. If you don't know what that is, it's a special with short recovery allowing you to combo normals and grabs to other moves where it would have been impossible before. The best example is using the move to cancel an overhead's long recovery to something quick like a grab or something.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I read that there was going to be a ton of DLC characters or something? Is that still planned? Only 8 characters at the moment seem kinda odd, and the character select reel looks super empty.

Sorry if it's already been answered or I overlooked something, just kinda curious

If you look at Alex's old art, there are enough character concepts to rival the SSF4:AE cast. If you want to see them in the game, buy it and tell you're friends to buy it. More sales mean more DLC (ideally).

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

darealkooky posted:

so why will this game not bomb like AH3 did?
Better advertising/ community out reach. It's already been featured on the PSN blog thrice and is at every dang tournament in the country. Lots of people know it pretty well by now, unlike AH3.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

AndyElusive posted:

All things considered, I wish you guys weren't trolling about V-Day being the games release because drat if it doesn't look better and better every time I see it in motion and I want to give those guys my money asap.
sorry, we are trolling. We won't know the actual release date until it's practically here. It's wishful thinking at this point.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I wouldn't say it's too much of a spoiler now since all of the poster art, including that one and one for another character, are now available in the store to customize various products.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Not Dave posted:

That is one of the character concepts that has been posted before along with Umbrella and others, called And I Must Scream or something along that line.
Her name is actually Double. Her story is currently unknown. The current rumor is she is the previous SkullGirl, Parasoul and Umbrella's mom and the former queen of the Canopy Kingdom, Nancy. The character has gone through a lot of changes. From the one in the previously posted concept art to the one currently seen in the poster art. :goonsay:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

You know what SkullGirls needs? A rap video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxX7AFHmOCI
:psyduck:I don't even...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Does that mean I have to be 21 to get the Moe Moe Gangsta edition? Because I'd love to play SkullGirls drunk while firing at a body pillow. It's a cross cultural experience. :911::hf::japan:

• Locked thread