Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Sade posted:

As far as I know it is still a followup to her regular throw. And IIRC you have to do it soon enough after the throw animation starts up that you can't really visually hitconfirm it.

Well, that sounds like it means that if you wiff the normal throw, you don't blow the meter on the super. Which makes it sound really drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Does the bomb stop player movement or attacks at all?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Good, looking forward to overly elaborate setups of using him as a portable corner then.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Nice Potemkin colors though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

PalmTreeFun posted:

Now, a broken move would be one that allows you to instantly go full screen and randomly cross up (move to the other side of) your opponent while being completely invincible, making it almost impossible to know which way to block, which could be done free from anywhere. That exists in another game, by the way.

Which one is that?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oh duh, I should have known that one, I was trying to think too obscure.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Relambrien posted:

Having an input buffer should be able to remove one-frame links though, shouldn't it?

It actually doesn't anyway, because inputting something TOO fast can be wrong as well! It does largely eliminate them though, because most hard links do require you to hit the button as soon as it is possible to do so.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Jetpack Postman posted:

These types of inputs do not seriously impact gameplay at all. Look at tournament videos for UltraDavid or any high-level Gief or T.Hawk player: they can do an SPD or standing 720 supers at the drop of a hat. Execution and the time it takes to input the command are not a problem.

Yes they are. It doesn't matter how perfect your input is, a longer command input means you have less time to react with that move. If the input for an Uppercut was just 1 button, the input time for this move is a single frame. If instead, the input is 623P, the input time is now 3 frames minimum (probably 4-5F reasonably). Your DP is less useful because you must react that many frames faster for it to be effective.

360s/720s are a more extreme example since the inputs are even longer. A 720 takes a minimum of 8F of input (realistically more like 15F+) and that dramatically damages your ability to react to stuff with it.

And unlike DP motions, you just can't just empty buffer them constantly (ie mashing 3232323 in SF4 waiting for something to DP). Because 360s/720s require an up direction, you must buffer them WITH something, else you end up with a jump. So they are mechanically less useful than DPs in this regard.

And the reversal-able input thing of course, in a few games I've seen this be a very big deal, being able to use 360s to beat would-be OTG standing crossups makes them better than standard DP motions. Less of a thing with most modern fighters though, since they tend to have so much auto-correct. :/

Another obvious example are charge moves. Charge moves completely change the usage rules for a move. Can't throw a fireball if you are moving forward (conventionally anyway). Can't throw an uppercut if you were moving forward or backward. Can't throw an uppercut immediately after blocking high (ask anyone who plays a charge character VS a throw character in ST about this one).

Charge moves are better than command moves in the sense that the actual reaction input is very short (up+Button, 1F minimum, realistically 2F or so), but worse in the sense you must have been charging beforehand to make use of it.

A third example is that the input directions for a move often dictate what input tricks you can use along with them.

General rule for 360s is that you can't go to neutral while you are rolling the input. In some games, this means you can't do something like, 8741236 6 P. That being, a 360 motion buffered before a dash, then that dash canceled into the 360.

On the flip side, if your command throw was 63214, you could buffer your throw like, 6 63214. Or if your command throw was 41236, you could buffer it like 41236 6. In either event, you can buffer a dash before your throw and get a very fast dash->throw to extend the range of your grab. Even between those two examples, there's a fair difference in that in the first one, you can only cancel your dash on Frame 5, and on the second on, your dash can be canceled as early as the first frame. Makes a difference!

One other example that SF4 really made apparent, if you're playing a game with absolute-guard (ie letting go of back during a block string will force your character to continue blocking anyway) and you have a reversal that doesn't require you to leave crouching (ie any DP in SF4 can be buffered as 323), this makes blockstrings that contain low hits less useful. If your reversal is a 360 or otherwise requires you to leave crouching, this causes you to be more vulnerable while buffering this input.

interrodactyl posted:

KoF13 feels like it's stricter than 3S in terms of inputs, though.

KoF13 is extremely bizarre because in some senses the input is fairly strict, and in others its lenient to the point of being annoying.

Some fun examples: 632146P gets interpreted as 623P, 6236P~P can get interpreted as 623P x 236236P, 21419P gets interpreted as 2141236P, 6[6] 236P gets interpreted as 623P, but 6[6] 2369P gets interpreted as 236P. And so on and so on.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jan 11, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Buhbuhj posted:

I'm not positive on it but I believe everything gets loaded into memory before the match anyway. The only poo poo you would have stream during a match is the music.

All of the character sprite data is streaming in as your are switching characters. There isn't nearly enough room to fit 6 characters into memory at once.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Well, I agree about the hit sounds, it's something I've complained about since the first videos that showed up. The hitsparks I think look pretty good though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I guess I must not have watched any videos in a while with the sound on, but the hitsounds now sound really good.

Voices are still really hit and miss but nothing is really awful at least.

Maybe I'm missing something, but is it visually impossible to tell the difference between Parasol's projectiles that hit and those that don't (ie Shot versus Toss)? That seems like a really, really weird design decision, especially considering how many projectiles she's throwing out all the time.

I mean on the project itself anyway, the audio cue and animation on her is a little different.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I doubt it would be a big problem in the long run (it may even be intentionally done like that I guess), but it definitely seems unintuitive.

Also I was sort-of wrong about the audio clip, it's not even necessarily different. They both say "cry" some times.

They SHOULD resemble each other, but it seems like they should be like Venom's pool balls, where you can tell what's active and what's not.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Jmcrofts posted:

The one flying at your face is going to hit you.

Are you talking about like when they're stationary onscreen? Because none of them have hitboxes when they're just floating in the air (until they explode that is)

The ones she flicks at you can be flying right at your face as well. But they don't hit. It's the same sprite for two different projectiles, and one hits and one does not.

They should make the flicked ones that don't hit look like they won't hit. Like make them little bubbles or semi-transparent or something.

It's not a big deal, it's just unintuitive and that's weird for a game trying very hard to be as intuitive as possible.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Jmcrofts posted:

This game does have marvel-style alpha counters, i.e. your point tags out and your new character comes in and does their assist. You execute it with forward+tag while blocking.

Does that work for command throws? Because that could be kind of silly to get a guard cancel instant command grab.

Of course I have no idea how fast assorted command grabs are, nor how much 'startup' there is on the actual guard cancel. Do those GCs have the same extra 3F of vulnerability like assists do?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Does that let you cancel the recovery as well? Like canceling a wiffed command grab into a safe super or whatever.

And I guess that means single character teams are hosed on the Guard Cancel front as well then?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Is there any penalty or cost to doing an OTG? You make it sound like you only get one or something.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

kaujot posted:

Could someone elaborate on the differences between Guilty Gear and BlazBlue? They look basically the same to me so far as systems go, but I'm dumb.

Guilty Gear is a lot faster, and has much more strict links and reversals and all that. Throws are way loving better as they have 0F of startup and the break window is only about 4F, AND since they are one button, you get a natural option select from doing them. Also it has shorter/faster combos overall, and a much bigger/better cast. The sprites are also drawn a little better overall for what that's worth.

There are a billion other system differences that would take forever to list out all of as well, basically nothing really works the same between the two games even though they have roughly the same set of mechanics.

Basically, faster, more challenging, deeper, better cast.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Niddhogg posted:

iirc there's some hard evidence that proves Filia was designed before Milia Rage from Guilty Gear.

That would be prior to 1997 which would be pretty crazy. What's the evidence?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Well for what it's worth, here's my Day-1 corner B&B for Ms. Fortune...

c.LK c.MK s.HK, j.HP 66 j.MK(2) j.qcb+HK |> c.LP s.HK, j.LK j.MK(2) j.qcb+HP |> s.LP s.MP qcb+HP, IAD j.HK |> c.MP c.MK s.HK dp+HK->HK, j.MP 66 j.LP j.HK j.qcb+HP |> s.MK s.HK, j.qcb+KK

Gives you a net meter gain of about 40% even with the super at the end. Works on anyone but you have to adjust it for weight and hitbox in places (ie Cera you replace the dp+HK with dp+LK).

The very-mid screen version is a lot shorter as you can't get the j.qcb+HK pickup, and it's unreliable to get the second nom-nom to connect.

I dunno, if this is the kinda combo you can make up in a couple of hours of play, I get this distinct feeling the game is going to be even more tedious to play than BB or MvC3. I wanna like the game because it has a real nice feel to it, but I'm getting really bad vibes from the combo system already.

Edit: Oh and if I made a mistake or something with the combo please let me know. I had another player mash very hard to try to escape it but it didn't seem possible at any point.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 11, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

SpaceBees posted:

A start of a Ms. Fortune bnb: s.LP, s.LK, s.MP, s.MK, s.HK, j. LP, j.MK (2 hits), j.HK, dash, c.LP (OTG)...

They can OTG tech the j.HK before you can land the c.LP. That's why I started using the head dunk after j.MK instead, as it causes a weird bounce you can combo off of. See the combo I posted up above for what I mean.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

SpaceBees posted:

Is that how it works with all spikes and OTGs in this game? You can tech out of the knockdown before you can OTG them after a spike?

I don't think there's a hard rule, some moves you seem to be able to tech as soon as you hit the ground, others you can't.

Ms.F's j.HK is very quickly techable, but her j.qcb+HK causes a really weird untechable slide. You can only combo off the very first part of it though.

Yeah you can only OTG someone once too, forgot that part. I don't believe either groundbounce or restands count.
VVVVV

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Apr 11, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

inthesto posted:

What's a good benchmark for "here's a bnb combo to use"? I just spent the last half hour actually trying to pull the following Ms Fortune combo off and now my wrist hurts :(

j.HP c.LK c.MP s.MK s.HK j.MP j.MK j.HK s.MP s.MK s.HP 623HK K 214214KK (5134 damage)

Looking back at it, it's just a simple ABC launch ABC otg ABC type combo. I'm really bad at exploring combo systems in fighting games.

In training mode, there's no "dummy" settings, it's just P2 controlling by default. As a result, it won't auto-tech OTG setups that don't work. Make sure you try mashing out with the P2 input, because a lot of things that spike (like Ms.Fortune's j.HK!) are techable and you can't actually get combos after it. :/

Also that super is just j.214KK... and after 623K-K, you can actually get more combo before the super. Not too hard to link into j.MP or other stuff, give it a try.

Other tips for her, her j.MK seems to have the longest untech time of any of her normals, you can combo her j.214P's after it. And those give you really good combo potential afterwards.

Check that combo I posted earlier for her, there's a few interesting bits in it you can take or expand on.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Black Mage Knight posted:

-Why does the IPS activate so early? Why can't it at least wait until the second or third instance of linking the same move?

The game would be really, really god drat broken if it didn't. You can already get some seriously long combos with only 1 instance of the same move, any more and you'd basically be entering 30-second long combos every time you got hit country.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

S-Alpha posted:

It's because grapplers are the best characters, they've just been given a hard rap in games as of late.

Er no they haven't? Between Hugo, Kanji, Tamaki, and Tager, grapplers have been wrecking poo poo way better in the last year than they ever have.

As far as unanimously top tier goes, there's Kevin Ryan. Also maybe not unanimous, but Daimon in a few KOF games is completely stupid. There are probably a ton more I'm forgetting.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Wow that's a pretty crazy change list. Those combo changes are going to be huge, and definitely for the better.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

flatluigi posted:

Don't get Blazblue.

Slightly more accurate answer: Don't buy Blazblue until Chrono Phantasma comes out. Or just skip it entirely and buy the new Guilty Gear when that hits in a month or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Jmcrofts posted:

E: Also the undizzy meter quickly drains whenever you are at neutral, and instantly resets back to 0 any time you ground tech after a knockdown.

Doesn't that mean that depending on what frame of a reset you hit someone on your combo might drop? That sounds pretty fidgety to me, even if it had an onscreen display.

• Locked thread