Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Can we take out stages from random select? One of my major pet peeves is when either the training stage keeps coming up or a stage that is just grating as gently caress. The only game I can think of that lets you do that is Smash Bros., and that's not even a real fighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Jetpack Postman posted:

To be fair, in Smash Bros. the stages actually DO something so it makes sense for "balance" reasons to allow them to be opted out of.

Right, but the training stage in this game is an eyesore, just like the training stage in every other fighter. It also makes me think of the final boss stage in KOF XIII, which I'm pretty sure has already been banned in tournament play. You literally can't see certain projectiles when playing in that stage, much like the night Helicarrier stage in Marvel 3. Just saying, I'm sure everyone would appreciate that as a feature.

[/getting mad about stage select:saddowns:]

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

The pure-white stage in KOF13 is tournament banned? Not that I dont think it deserves it or anything, but does this mean you cant use random stage select?

I think if it comes up on random select, you pause and choose restart. First talk I heard about it was on the NEC stream, for what it's worth. Why the hell they made that even selectable, I don't know.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Jmcrofts posted:

I assume PC versions sell fairly well since Capcom and others are still doing them. Skullgirls will very likely have a PC version but Reverge doesn't have the manpower to develop it until the console one is done.

That's one thing I never really understood. Why not develop and release the PC version first, then XBLA and PSN? I'm saying that mainly because title updates are prohibitively expensive for most devs, and a lot of indie devs have been screwed over by the costs. Unless Konami is going to foot the bill for it, or something like that.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Alcoholism posted:

What is this?

Also, I know this game will have a tutorial and I'm excited to give it a shot, but in general how do people go about learning new games? I've never really taken a fighter seriously and I know my execution/mechanical skills aren't up to snuff. I know it takes time and practice, but what does people's practice generally look like? Just drilling the same combos over and over in practice, or is there more to it than that?
It seems like spending too much time in training and not enough time in actual matches would be a mistake - I don't mind losing.

What does the practice schedule for picking up new characters/games look like?

Simultaneous opposite cardinal directions. Basically, if you have a modified controller (like an unofficial Hit Box) you can hold back and forward at the same time. Marvel 3 essentially lets you become invincible to cross ups if you use one.

edit: You don't even really need a special controller, since it works with the analog stick and d-pad on a stock controller being pressed at the same time if I'm remembering that correctly.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Mr. Fun posted:

No guard options at all as far I can see.

How do you have a tutorial that teaches you how blocking mixups work, yet have a pointless training mode? Guess we're practicing hit confirms in arcade mode, then? :confused:

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Dizz posted:

2 PS3s and what I assume is a Wii sensor bar at the top of the TV.

Also what's with that bat top stick on the far right? it seems too close unless it's backwards. then it's a left handed stick or something? I'm so confused :psyduck:

Looks like that's part of a Killer Instinct cab. I'll admit that I nerded out when I saw the MAS stick :keke:

Really liking this game, but I'm not going to have much time with it until next week. I'm liking Cerebella a lot for her solo damage and being able to kara cancel cr.MP to QCB LP+LK. DP motions feel a little bit off to me in this for some reason. It's probably just me.

Bovineicide fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 11, 2012

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Liar Lyre posted:

You know what? It's hard to blame these guys for not adding in a movelist when you realize that you can count the programmers on one hand.

Yeah, I'll second this. It always seems like this is a common problem among indie games; where the artists outnumber the coders 5 to 1.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Bauxite posted:

I just now realized: Is Filia's Gregor Samson a reference to Gurren Lagann? Sometimes she'll yell out transform and then turn into a giant drill and drill into people.

Or is it reference something from some other fighting game I've never seen? :downs:

It's a reference to Kafka: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Metamorphosis

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Alteisen posted:

Any sort of trick to the cheapass final boss? Her 3rd form keeps kicking my rear end.

What character are you using? With almost everyone it seems the trick is to just use j.HP and dodge.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Does this mean I can overturn the board the next time I lose because the game didn't hold my hand and teach me every single opening? I'd hate to hear what you think of go because it only has one kind of piece :psyduck:

edit: This matchmaking argument is pretty pointless, because of how XBL and PSN work. You have to use their matchmaking system. There's no alternative to that for any developer, not just the small ones.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

diospadre posted:

That exists, it's Smash Bros.

He won't like it because of wombo combos :smug:

edit: You will still get absolutely destroyed at TF2 if you suck, though? Quake-style movement is a huge part of high-level play, and it's not something you'll know even exists unless you watch Youtube tutorials.

Bovineicide fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 21, 2012

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Rocketlex posted:

All I can say is I suck and I don't get destroyed. I'm not the hero of the team but I can play defense okay and be a valuable contributor.

I don't even know what you're talking about with the movement, and I am still able to kill people and keep the sewers of 2-fort locked down.

Right, but you're making it sound like having difficult execution and lots of mechanics are a bad thing when they're kind of necessary for people to give a poo poo about competitive games. It's almost like you would move the 3 point line in basketball to five feet away from the hoop in order to lower the "mechanical depth."

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

edit: gently caress it, it's not worth getting mad about. It's just kinda sad that this argument comes up in every single fighting game thread.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Emalde posted:

My biggest problem is it sees half of the motions as QC<F/B> and trying to reset to neutral is a huge pain.

I haven't had more than a day to screw around with the game yet, but you should be able to use forward, QCF to throw a DP if that's what your issue is.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Jmcrofts posted:

First hit of rekka is safe. Second and third hits are unsafe, but people will probably be scared to punish the second one since you can cancel it and stuff them.

Generally, anything that's -4 or worse is unsafe.

Is Fillia's low forward unsafe, then? I thought the frame data on SRK said it was -10 or something like that. Kind of ironic that move's used to teach you how to hit-confirm, then.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm pretty sure it's not -10 0_0 I don't think it's punishable by 360 even.

Then I guess SRK is fuckin stupid then, cause that's what someone threw on the wiki. Of course the boards are treating it like it's gospel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Jmcrofts posted:

Nevermind, ignore me. I just tested it and it totally is punishable by filia cr.lk and cerebella 360.

Wait, really? Then why does the tutorial teach you to hit confirm off of it, then? :psyboom:

• Locked thread