Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
- - - - -
Most Recently Aired:
- 141 - April 14th - Eun Ji-Won, Jessica (SNSD)
- - - - -
Upcoming:
- 142 - April 21st - Lee Bo-Young, Lee Sang-Yoon
- - - - -
Most Recent iSubs Release :
- 109 - Eun-Hyuk (Super Junior), Park Tae-Hwan, Son Yeon-Jae
- - - - -
Current Watchthrough Episode:
- 82 + 83 - Lee Da-hae, Oh Ji-ho
----------------

What is this?

Running Man is a South Korean variety show, featuring a recurring cast of regulars plus a different guest or guests ever week. If you’re unfamiliar with the variety show concept, think of it as a group of hilarious people attempting to perform various tasks in order to win some reward, or escape an embarrassing punishment. Simple enough stuff; one of the suggestions for the thread title was, “Imagine The Amazing Race on 1/5th the budget with 5x the cleverness and hilarity”, which sums the show up reasonably well.

Where this show leaves others behind, then, is something of a perfect storm. The cast are funny, the writing and tasks are excellent, the format changes often enough that it doesn’t get stale, the guests are (for the most part) never misses, and the humour is broad and understandable enough that it’s easy to find funny even if you watch the show unsubtitled. There’s no unique feature or easy to describe single selling point I can use to grab your attention; it’s just an incredibly entertaining show. The best advertisement for it, simply, is to watch it; if you aren't interested enough to read the rest of this post, just skip on down to the episode links in the second post and take your pick from our recommended episodes. If you'd like to know a little more before you dive in, read on!

DivisionPost posted:

WOW.

Somebody is going to bring this to the attention of MTV one day, and if they can get the cast chemistry HALF as right as SBS got it here they will be paid
in fully loaded Brinks Trucks for a second season.

Why are they Running?

While the minor tasks every episode change, the central concept is always the same; the team travel to some Korean landmark, and take on a number of challenges, either individually or in teams, one of which will be a race of some kind. Early on in the show this is simply finding some (often very well hidden) items around the chosen location, but as time goes on the challenges start to revolve more specifically around whatever location the show is set at that week, or on the guests. A pretty frequent form is a massive game of hide and seek, where one team must complete a task while the other team is charged with hunting them down; later on in the series, the race task becomes a single overall challenge with the smaller tasks set along the way.

Who are the Men (and Women)?
---------------------------------------------------------

Yu Jae-Suk
(A little note first; these being Korean names, they’re in the Korean name order and may be transliterated differently in different sources and subs.)
The main host (MC), if someone is explaining the rules of the latest challenge it’s usually him. When split into teams he’s also usually one of the leaders; very famous in Korea with an incredibly established TV career. A very old hand at such shows, Jae-suk mixes some amount of cunning with a very poor athletic skill other than in running away. Gains something of a reputation as a backstabber as the series goes on.

Ji Suk-Jin
The oldest Running Man, and the least athletically-inclined (with one possible exception) of the recurring cast. Tends to get the brunt of the old jokes among the members, and usually gets caught very early and easily. The person who the others would probably least want on their team.

Kim Jong-Kook
The Commander. A singer, formerly one half of Turbo and now solo, and easily the most physically capable of the cast. When split into teams, he’s often a leader, and his competitiveness usually means that if given an opportunity he’ll take charge; really doesn’t like losing. The mere suggestion that he might be somewhere nearby when he’s chasing puts hiding members into a state of frantic terror.

Kang Gary (Kang Hee-Gun)
A rapper, one half of the duo Leessang. Starts off with a cool image. This doesn’t last. Has a tendency to pull a surprise win out of the bag, probably due to the fact that he’s fitter than a lot of the cast. Also very popular with the guests.

Haha (Ha Dong-Hoon)
Another singer and general entertainer, the most childish and exhibitionist of the cast. Regularly falls in love with whichever female guest is on this week.

Song Ji-Hyo
The Ace. The sole long-term female member, an actress, and generally thought of as either the most or the second most formidable opponent, after Jong-Kook. Doesn’t actually join the cast until a few episodes in, but she settles in rapidly enough to not be an outsider. Switches between having an extremely good eye and noticing small details, to staring vacantly into space.

Lee Gwang-Soo
Tall, gangly, awkward, prone to falling over when chased, one of the two younger cast members, originally a model and now many things, including actor. Hopeless at most games, subject to the most jokes at his lack of ability and general aura of failure. Even from the first episode.

Song Joong-Ki
The pretty boy, another actor, and the youngest regular cast member. Unsurprisingly popular with the female guests, he’s also very competitive but unlike Jong-kook mental tasks are his area of expertise. Or so he'd claim.

Lizzy
An idol from the group After School, and a latecomer to the regular cast. Lizzy first pops up as a guest in the teen numbered episodes, fully joining a few episodes later, before leaving after about seven episodes. She's perky. Very perky.

Ok, so they're the regulars. What about everyone else?
Each episode sees the regular members joined by guests; anywhere from none at all to about seven or so, though for most episodes it's just two. These guests are a random sprinkling of Korean celebrities; anything from comedians, muscians, actors/actresses, idols, and the like. Much as with television you might be more familiar with, often these guests will be on the show to raise awareness for some new show/film/album they have out, and sometimes the show may even be loosely themed around some role they may be famous for. However, you're not missing much by not knowing who these people are in advance; the show will itself certainly tell you who they are, the reactions of the regular members will tell you how big a coup having them on is, and since the variety format is so popular in Korea most guests will be old hands at knowing how to be entertaining.

Of course, you'll also get wide-eyed newbies not entirely sure what the hell is going on. Opinions differ as to which are more fun.

Who are these other people who keep popping up? AKA The Crew, and Everyone Else
As the show goes on, various crew members and people otherwise involved with the making of the show get themselves a bit of airtime, or become the butt of running jokes. This section is one which'll be updated most over time.

Jae-Suk's VJ (Ryu Kwon-Ryeol)
If a task calls for the cast members to split up, then that's where the portable camera-toting VJs come in. Jae-Suk's regular VJ first draws attention to himself through not being the fittest guy when it comes to running about, but later displays his true loyalty. Popular in Thailand China abroad!

Jong-Kook's Manager (Kim Gab-Jin)
First appeared on the show just because he wanted some screentime. Occasionally appears on camera whenever an additional person is needed to give out instructions, move things about, and so on.

The maknae Floor Director (Go Dong-Wan)
Once the "Find the Guest" missions start, the maknae FD pops up acting suspiciously and running from the members to take the heat off the real guests. He's very good at this.

The Most Photogenic Man (Hwang Myeong-Seon)
The Audio Director, a random picture of him pops up during a photograph task, utterly derailing it.

The Staff Monday Couple (Kim Yoo-Seok and Song Seon-Ah)
A crew VJ and Haha's coordi respectively, these two's first appearance leads to the former declaring the latter as his favoured female celebrity (don't ask) from those in the episode, leading them to join in on a running joke as a couple.

The One-Two Punch
Two more VJs, they recieve complaints from the guests about their stand-out clothes and accidental attention-focusing behaviour.

---------------------------------------------------------

I don’t know any Korean. Or anything about South Korea. What the hell is a maknae?

Neither did I, when I first started watching this show. The first thing to note is that there are excellent fansubbing groups for this show, who do a very good job not only of the “basics” of subbing (timing, grammar, and the like), but produce better results than a lot of professionally subtitled works. Secondly, and perhaps most importantly, this isn’t a show made dense by Korean references or concepts; the humour isn’t so different in style that it’s impenetrable. You could drop into any episode, having seen no other of this series or anything other in Korean, and enjoy it. If you have questions, this show has a considerable following already in TV IV, so simply ask in the thread if you come across an untranslated word that isn’t obvious in context, or have anything else you'd like cleared up.

Oh, and it’s the youngest member of a group.

Symphoric posted:

As someone who doesn't know or care all that much about Asian/Korean culture, I watched this show fully expecting to hate it. I figured it was just some
hipster-style thing a handful of nerds latched onto just to feel unique or different. I was completely wrong, and I now count this show right up there
with Top Gear as one of the funniest shows I've ever seen.

The first episode was kind of difficult to watch, but I think that's because I really had no familiarity with the format or the players. If it weren't for my
long-time desire to run wild in an empty mall I probably wouldn't have made it through the whole thing. By the third episode I was completely hooked,
and I've now watched almost 70 episodes in the last two months or so.

Alright. I’ll give it a go!

If you’re willing to make a full go at it, the best place to start would be with the first episode. Per the forum rules, if it’s up on Youtube, it’s fair game, and luckily the show is popular enough that it’s not difficult to find subtitled. There are two fansub groups that I’d recommend; the first is iSubs, who simply do a really excellent job, and take care to translate a lot of signs, notes, and other onscreen Korean that slips past those translators who simply focus on the dialogue. The other is kshownow, who are also pretty good (though with the occasional translation oddity) but are very quick about it; they’re considerably more up to date, though that won’t matter if you’re starting from the beginning.

If you’re not fully convinced, we’ve got a list of some suggested especially good episodes for you to try out in the post below this. Episode 13 in particular is strongly recommended for good reason.

I love this show! My favourite part is when…… (aka :siren:SPOILERS!:siren:)

Whoa, whoa. You'll find plenty of fans in here willing to discuss the latest episode or a fantastic episode, but a lot of the humour comes from running jokes and the like that won’t make much sense to a new viewer. Bear in mind that part of the reason you thought it was so fantastic was because it wasn't ruined in advance for you. I’ll be running a watchthrough in this thread, beginning at the first episode, so as far as spoilers go;if I’ve posted the watchthrough for an episode, any spoiler in it and before it are fair game. If not, tag your posts, please.

Ghostpilot posted:

Just ran across this show via the thread yesterday morning and since then I've gone from episode 1 to just finishing 13 which is absolutely deserving of
that #1 spot (from what I've seen thus far).

I thought the earlier episodes were a bit disjointed, but that was just a matter of them getting their footing with the format. It really does seem like it'd
be an absolute blast to do: somewhat akin to the Gaki No Tsukai annual batsu games, except every week (Hulu had the show briefly awhile back. Highly
recommend the 24-Hour Tag Batsu).

I really like that cheating is not only allowed, but encouraged as it allows for some surprising outcomes that would otherwise have been a foregone
conclusion.

May just give episode 13 a rewatch. Thanks for acquainting me with this show! :neckbeard:

:siren: Hey, there's now also a thread for Korean television in general! You can find it here.:siren:

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Where should I get started/What episodes do you especially recommend?

qbert posted:

I recommend you just start from the beginning, because some of the early episodes are actually some of the best of the series. Plus the show has
running gags and motifs that you'll appreciate more if you know the characters and the way relationships have evolved. But really you can jump in
anywhere since episodes are so self-contained (although there are a few 2-parters).

Since Archer2338 was kind enough to give me a list of good episodes to help me get into Infinity Challenge, I'll list out my personal Top 10 of Running
Man if you just want to sample episodes:

1) Episode 13 (SBS Broadcasting Center)
This one basically ends up being a comedy version of Die Hard. Absolutely phenomenal ending.

2) Episode 38 (Seoul Medical Center)
The first time the show introduced the concept of one of the Running Men being a secret spy, and still the best iteration of the idea.

3/4) Episode 4-5 (Gwacheon National Science Museum)
This was a great venue and pretty much every game they played was full of hilarious moments.

5) Episode 7 (Sejong Center for the Performing Arts)
The first introduction of the concept of one team tries to complete a mission while the other team tries to capture them. They introduce putting
bells on the shoes of the capture team, it's pretty awesome.

6) Episode 25 (Museum Comics Information Center)
One of my favorite 1 vs X segments, which is where the rest of the cast plans out a trick to play in advance on one unsuspecting member.

7) Episode 1 (Times Square)
The pilot ep is awesome, and features Lee Hyori as one of the guests (she and YJS were great together on Family Outing).

8) Episode 51 (Thailand Part 2)
Another "spy" episode, only this time the producers kept the identity a secret to the audience all the way up until the end. Great reveal.

9) Episode 39 (Seoul Folk Flea Market)
Because of the spy concept in Ep 38, everyone was extra paranoid with each other to begin with, which leads to their downfall, as two members of SNSD
guest and pick them off one by one.

10) Episode 31 (Alpensia Ocean 700 Water Park)
This episode has my favorite "One Chance" segment, which is something where the whole cast has to work together to complete a mission, and if
they do so no one gets punished at the end of the games. For this episode, they had to cross a rickety bridge over a pool of water, only the order
that each member gets on the bridge is different from the order that each member is allowed to get off the bridge on the other side. Did I mention the
bridge is extremely narrow and wobbly?

Selane posted:

It aired after that list was made, but for the love of god put episode 74super powers episode into the recommendation list.

- Episode Links -

Shows with an * or ^ sign before the episode number indicate that they're matched two-part episodes, where the first should be watched first. Guests are
linked only the first time they appear, if they have an English Wiki page; repeat appearances are numbered. (Brackets) indicate a guest's musical group,
while guests in [brackets] are unofficial guests.
pre:
Episode                        Location(s)                                      Guests  

E 1:  1 2 3 4 5                SBS Broadcasting Centre, Times Square            Hwang Jung-Eum, Lee Hyori
E*2:  1 2 3 4 5                Suwon World Cup Stadium                          Goo Hara (Kara), Lee Chun-Hee, Song Ji-Hyo
E*3:  1 2 3 4 5                          "                                                  "
E^4:  1 2 3 4                  Gwacheon National Science Museum                 Jessica (SNSD), Nichkhun (2PM), Song Ji-Hyo²
E^5:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7                      "                                                  "
E 6:  1 2 3 4 5 6              N Seoul Tower                                    Kim Shin-Young, Se7en, Son Dam-Bi
E 7:  1 2 3 4 5                Sejong Centre for the Performing Arts            Eun-Jeong (T-ara), Jo Kwon 2AM), 
                                                                                  Jung Yong-Hwa (CN Blue)
E 8:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7            Seoul Museum of History, Gyeonghui Palace        Lee Joon (MBLAQ), Park Jun-Gyu, Victoria (f(x))
E 9:  1 2 3 4                  Lotte World                                      Lee Hong-Ki (F.T. Island), Kim Soo-Ro,
                                                                                  Shin Bong-Sun
E 10: 1 2 3 4 5 6              National Museum of Contemporary Art              Cha Tae-Hyun, Yoon Se-Ah

E 11: 1 2 3 4 5                Seoul Central Post Office                        Jung Yong-Hwa², Kim Jae-Dong
E 12: 1 2 3 4 5                Seoul Design Fair (Seoul Olympic Stadium)           -------- None --------
E 13: 1 2 3 4                  SBS Broadcasting Centre                          Jang Dong-Min, Lizzy (After School)
E 14: 1 2 3 4                  Boramae Safety Experience Centre                 Lizzy²
E 15: 1 2 3 4                  Seoul Metro Subway Yard                          Kim Kwang-Kyu, Tony Ahn
E 16: 1 2 3 4 5                I'Park Mall                                      Yuri (SNSD)
E 17: 1 2 3 4                  Hanyang Women's University                       Jung Yong-Hwa³, Ko Joo-Won
E 18: 1 2 3 4                  Busan International Cruise Ship                     -------- None --------
E 19: 1                        Namsangol Hanok Village                          Nichkhun²
E 20: 1 2 3 4                  Korea Meteorological Administration              Kim Heechul (Super Junior)

E 21: 1 2 3 4                  Gwanmyeong Station                               Kim Jae-Dong²
E 22: 1 2 3 4 5                Lotte Mart                                       Choi Si-Won (Super Junior), Kim Min-Jong
E 23: 1 2 3 4 5 6              Alpensia Ski Resort                              Shim Hyung-Rae
E 24: 1 2 3 4                  Xi Wi City                                       Lee Kyung-Shil, Song Eun-Ee
E 25: 1 2 3 4                  Museum Comics Information Centre                 Park Bo-Young 
E 26: 1 2 3 4                  Nakwon Instruments Shopping Centre               Jun Jin-Young, Lee Moon-Sik [Lee Joon-Yik]
E 27: 1                        Seoul Arts Centre                                Max Chang-Min, U-Know Yun-Ho (both TVXQ)
E 28: 1 2 3 4                  Ansung Natural Resort                            Kim Byung-Man
E 29: 1 2 3 4 5                Seoul, COEX Aquarium                                -------- None --------
E 30: 1 2 3 4                  Ntl. Centre for Korean Traditional               Seung-Ri (Big Bang)
                                 Performing Arts

E 31: 1 2 3 4                  Alpensia Ocean 700 Water Park                    Hyun Young
E 32: 1 2 3 4 5                Woongjin Think Big Office                        Kim Kwang-Kyu², Tony Ahn²
E 33: 1 2 3 4 5                Incheon International Airport                    Oh Ji-Ho
E 34: 1 2 3 4 5                Hongdae                                          Park Jun-Gyu², Uee (After School) [Shim Tae-Yoon, 
                                                                                 Park Geun Shik, Nana, Raina (both After School)]
E*35: 1 2 3 4                  Nanji Camp                                       Dae-Sung (Big Bang), Jung Yong-Hwa4
E*36: 1 2 3 4 5                           "                                                  "
E 37: 1 2 3 4                  Metapolis                                        Park Ye-Jin
E 38: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8          Seoul Medical Centre                                 -------- None --------
E 39: 1 2 3 4 5                Seoul Folk Flea Market                           Sunny, Yoona (both SNSD)
E 40: 1 2 3 4 5                Petite France                                    Nichkhun³, Taecyeon (both 2PM)

E 41: 1 2 3 4 5                National Digital Library of Korea,               Lee Sun-Gyun, Park Joong-Hoon
                                 Haha's Apartment
E 42: 1 2 3 4                  SBS Broadcasting Centre,                         - None - [Heo Young-Saeng, Kim Mi-Sook, 
                                 SBS Tanhyeon-dong Production Center              Jang Hyuk, Kim Yoon-Soo]
E 43: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7            Daegu Stadium                                    IU, Shin Bong-Sun (2nd App.)
E^44: 1 2 3 4                  Cheil Worldwide Building                         Jang Hyuk [Shin Seung-Hwan, Hong Suk-Chun]
E^45: 1 2 3 4                             "                                                  "
E*46: 1 2 3 4                  Kyobo Book Centre(s)                             Kim Hyun-Joong (SS501)
E*47: 1 2 3 4                             "                                       " [Park Beom-Shin, Kim Hong-Shin, Kang Full,
                                                                                     Jang Yoon-Joo, Jo Hye-Ryun, Kim Ok-Jung]
E 48: 1 2 3 4 5                National Museum of Korea                             -------- None --------
E 49: 1 2 3 4 5                Dream Forest                                     Goo Hara², Noh Sa-Yeon
E^50: 1 2 3 4 5                Bangkok, Pattaya (Thailand)                      Nichkhun4, Kim Min-Jung

E^51: 1 2 3 4 5                           "                                                  "
E*52: 1 2 3 4 5                Gyeongju World                                   Choi Min-Soo
E*53: 1 2 3 4 5                Blue One Resort                                  Choi Min-Soo, Yoon So-Yi 

- - - - - Special Guest Recap Section - - - - -
E 54: 1 2 3 4 5                Yeouido Race, 63 Building                        Choi Kang Hee, Ji Sung 
E^55: 1 2 3 4 5                Pyeongtaek Race, Wootdali Model Village          Jiyeon (T-ara), Suzy (Miss A), 
                                                                                Luna & Sulli (both f(x))
E^56: 1 2 3 4 5                Pyeongtaek Wootdali Model Village,               Ahn Moon Sook, Kim Sook, 
                               Hwangsaewool Village                             Shin Bong Sun3, Yang Jung-Ah
    all by Jamesman
     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
E*57: 1 2 3 4 5                Jeju-do                                          Cha Tae-Hyun 2), Shin Se-Kyung
E*58: 1 2                                 "                                                  "
E 59: 1 2 3 4 5                Old Seoul Station                                Choiza, Gaeko (Dynamic Duo), Simon Dominic
                                                                                 (Supreme Team), Tiger JK (Drunken Tiger),
                                                                                Yoon Mi-Rae 
E 60: 1 2 3 4 5                D-Cube City                                           -------- None --------

E^61: 1 2 3 4 5                Beijing, China                                   Kang Jiyoung (Kara), Kim Ju-Hyuk, Lee Yeon-Hee 
E^62: 1 2 3 4                             "                                                  "
E*63: 1 2 3 4 5                Goyang                                           Hyoyeon, Seohyun, Taeyeon, Yoona2, 
                                                                                Yuri2, Jessica2  (all SNSD)
E*64: 1 2 3 4 5                Paju English Village                                          "
E^65: 1 2 3 4 5                Baekje Military Museum                           Kim Joo-Hyuk2, Kim Sun-Ah, Song Joong-Ki
E^66: 1 2 3 4 5                Hangang Park                                                  "
E*67: 1 2 3 4 5                Gungpyeong Village                               Kim Soo-Ro, Park Ye-Jin
E*68: 1 2 3 4 5                Hangang Park                                                  "
E 69: 1 2 3 4 5                Incheon Culture and Arts Centre                  Choi Min-Soo2
E 70: 1 2 3 4 5                KT Building                                      Lee Min-Ki, Park Chul-Min, Son Ye-Jin

E^71: 1 2 3 4 5                Gyeonghui Palace                                 Jo Hye-Ryun, Oh Yeon-Soo  Song Joong-ki2]
E^72: 1 2 3 4 5 6              Hong Kong                                        Jung Yong-Hwa5, Lee Min-Jung, [Jackie Chan]
E 73: 1 2 3 4 5 6                         “                                                  “
E 74: 1 2 3 4 5                KINTEX                                                -------- None --------
E 75: 1 2 3 4 5                Paris Park                                       Choi Si-Won2, Hyorin (Sistar),  Minho,  
                                                                                Sohee  (Wonder Girls),  Sulli2

Guest Appearance Tallies

V    Jung Yong-Hwa
 IV    Nichkhun
III    Shin Bong-Sun
II     Choi Si-Won - Sulli - Choi Min-Soo - Yoona - Yuri - Jessica - Cha Tae-Hyun - Park Jun-Gyu - Kim Kwang-Kyu - Tony Ahn 
       - Kim Jae-Dong - Lizzy - Song Ji-Hyo - Goo Hara
Thanks to The pHo and Bradster we now also have torrents of high quality, iSubs versions of the first 100 episodes! Shower them with praise.

1-50:
Download torrent81 (50 files; 74.76 GB)
View torrent stats

51-100:
Download torrent81 (50 files; 85.02 GB)
View torrent stats

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 4, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Episode 1
Locations: SBS Building, Times Square (No, not that one)
Guests: Lee Hyo-Ri (Singer), Hwang Jung-Eum (Singer, Actress)

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

The very first episode, and already we see the cast are confused by the idea that a roof garden might well be on the top floor of a building. Some of the cast are disguised to start off with, but unless you’re Korean the reveal probably won’t mean too much to you. What is worth saying is that Jae-Suk, Jong-Kook, Haha and Suk-Jin don’t get much of an introduction – they’re old hands at variety shows by this point. And starting the run of things just plain going wrong, it starts bucketing it down. If you find yourself wondering why Lee Hyo-Ri is all chummy already and they're alluding to past episodes, it's of similar shows they've done in the past.

So, we start with the first format this show takes; split into two teams, the cast and guests are locked into the location of the week overnight to complete the tasks, with the winners being the ones that get to leave. We’re also introduced to the back nametags; once removed, that member is out. Anyway, this first time, the teams are looking for the code cylinders to unlock the doors. Get used to Kwang-Soo’s musical sting. Also the rampant cheating whenever possible.

I’ve never heard of the Chicken Fight game before. I don’t know if it’s familiar to those of you in the U.S. or elsewhere, but I’ve never heard of it. It’s appropriately ridiculous, though. Seems like the kind of thing that would get played in school gym classes.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Revenant Threshold posted:

I’ve never heard of the Chicken Fight game before. I don’t know if it’s familiar to those of you in the U.S. or elsewhere, but I’ve never heard of it. It’s appropriately ridiculous, though. Seems like the kind of thing that would get played in school gym classes.

I've never even watched the first episode, but if you're talking about that thing where people hop around on one foot and knock each other over, you see it on Korean TV all the time.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Give the show a shot. One of the things that's persistent is the nicknames and other gags the cast has with each other. One of the older ones at this point is Monday Couple which is starting to bleed into other real life in a way.

This show is also really popular all over Asia where it is syndicated so it as massive appeal to everyone.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
This show is the best. It has probably my favorite cast in any non-scripted show since Whose Line (and without a Drew Carey-equivalent to pull it down to boot), and the concept is executed amazingly - the frequent switch-ups in format really helps it not get stale.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Kwang Soo is the youngest regular cast member? I never would have guessed that.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

TV Zombie posted:

Kwang Soo is the youngest regular cast member? I never would have guessed that.
Bugger. You have caught me out in my inability to work out relative age from birthdays. Joong-Ki is younger than him by a couple of months.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
This show is basically my favorite 'reality' show. It really is similar to The Amazing Race, only there's no jackpot prize at the end of the race, so the emphasis for all players involved is simply to be funny and thus secure airtime.

This is also the show that introduced me to Yoo Jae Suk. Those of you watching for the first time may wonder why this somewhat nerdy/cowardly guy starts taking over the MC duties and gets to be the leader of the teams all the time. Well basically what you need to know is that Yoo Jae Suk is more famous than the entire rest of the cast combined (and they're all famous Korean celebrities in their own right). He's got four regular weekly shows that he hosts and is considered the biggest comedian on television in Korea (now that Kang Ho Dong has semi-retired), winning all the major awards every year in his category. And he totally deserves all his success. Dude is hilarious and can even create funny moments when he's by himself.

Regarding the first episode, Lee Hyori is a really famous pop star. She and Yoo Jae Suk did the hugely popular show Family Outing together (Jong Kook was a regular also), which ended after YJS left to develop Running Man. On the show they had a very bickering brother/sister relationship, which anyone watching Running Man in Korea would've recognized and is what they're playing up here. I'm pretty sure a bunch of the crew that worked on FO went over to Running Man, as every cast member from that show eventually shows up as a guest in future RM episodes.

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

Get used to Kwang-Soo’s musical sting. Also the rampant cheating whenever possible.

I love how the comments to this video changed over time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyaCNGBNlgY

The oldest ones have people arguing about the artistic merit and technical skill of the person playing the song. Then it's suddenly nothing but love for Kwang-Soo.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Yoo Jae Suk was already a talented MC from his X-Man days. You could see the potential in him and Kang Ho Dong even way back then.

edit:How did the Saint Agnes song get associated with Kwang Soo?

TV Zombie fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 7, 2012

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

I remember watching one of the later eps because SNSD were the guest stars and as the episode wore on, I starting caring more about the cast members than I did about the girls. This show is really loving good.

I find it funny that Hyo-ri is probably one of the most beautiful woman in Korea and one of the dirtiest players I have ever seen in my life. She is totally unrepentant about it and it's hilarious.

Somewhat related anecdote, my friend recently got discharged from the Korean Army because he tore his ACL while chicken fighting. poo poo is serious business.

skyliner
Sep 16, 2006

Things I love about this show:
Monday Couple
Gwang Soo's framing
Suk Jin's woo-sa dance
Sparta kook
Ji Hyo's blank beauty
Everything else

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Getting in on this, AS EVERYONE SHOULD BE.

Let the Korean programming invasion of TVIV continue.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
That's quite an awesome OP, and very informative- great job!
One small nitpick: I'm pretty sure Gwangsoo started out as a model, and now does pretty much everything in the entertainment industry.

Oh, and Lizzy from After School was a fixed cast member for a while, even if she failed to secure film time - I found that surprising considering she was so funny as a guest for multiple times.

Some YJS love:
Yeah, he's awesome. From what I hear on the Korean internet, he's a pretty awesome human being as well, which is hard to find among celebrities...

For fans: http://gall.dcinside.com/list.php?id=yjs&no=62124&page=1&bbs=
The Korean fan community is famous for giving tons of special gifts and doing events such as these. They filmed YJS's reactions to receiving their gifts - already surprising that he's personally visiting them and letting them film, but he also is very friendly and funny even when not filming. :3:

Looking back, I see that even the first episodes are pretty good, even if they're a little unorganized/awkward (understandable since they're starting out). Which is why I'm so surprised that it didn't get off the ground that fast in Korea - in the first couple of months, I remember RM not getting that much viewers and not being very popular - people feared it might end up like FO2 (thank god it didn't). But now, it gets high ratings and is really popular - SBS recognized the efforts of the RM members as well with all the annual awards they gave them. They really pulled off an amazing feat!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Just as a little :siren:spoiler:siren: note; it's fine to post little details about future episodes, and people have been careful so far, but please don't go so far as to spoil potentially spoilable things. So, for example, you could say that Yuri is in an episode coming up, but please don't mention that she's the target of a trick outside spoiler tags until we get to it. Likewise, "This is a great episode, with an amazing ending!" is perfectly ok, but "This is a great episode, and then so-and-so surprisingly wins at the end!/turns out to be the spy!" isn't really fair to first-time watchers. Thanks.

Archer2338 posted:

That's quite an awesome OP, and very informative- great job!
One small nitpick: I'm pretty sure Gwangsoo started out as a model, and now does pretty much everything in the entertainment industry.
So far as I can tell, this seems to be pretty common in Korea. Well, common here too, since anyone who gets a little bit of fame inevitably also ends up cropping up in adverts or as reality show judges or whatever. But researching up on this for the OP, there's a lot of people whose career trajectory was "doing one job, getting famous, then doing practically every other kind of job in entertainment".

quote:

Oh, and Lizzy from After School was a fixed cast member for a while, even if she failed to secure film time - I found that surprising considering she was so funny as a guest for multiple times.
That's true, but I didn't include her because she's just not around for all that long. Also I didn't really want to spoil cast changes too much - i've put Ji-Hyo in there even though she's not in from the very start because she joins pretty quickly and becomes a big part of the show. For the same reason, I haven't mentioned Joong-Ki leaving.

quote:

Some YJS love:
Yeah, he's awesome. From what I hear on the Korean internet, he's a pretty awesome human being as well, which is hard to find among celebrities...
As someone for whom this was my first Korean TV show and thus exporuse to the guy, I kept getting surprised when, no matter where they went, not only would he be recognised by members of the public but also politely mobbed by them, above and beyond even what some idols got. He's a popular guy.

Revenant Threshold fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 7, 2012

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I'm familiar with Yoo Jae Suk from Family Outing, and pretty much everything he shows there, he shows here as well. And it's all great. You can see why he carries and co-hosts a bajillion shows and wins a bajillion awards.

It was also nice that the first guest was Hyori, since again, I'm familiar with her variety skills from Family Outing as well. I will never get tired of seeing her being so playful and fiesty and underhanded. Kind of a shame she's not a regular cast member, really.

My favorite part was the bridal picture challenge, and them all trying to block Hyori's face in the shot. Speaking of the bridal shop, I was actually quite surprised that they completely edited out the hunt for one of the clues. Does this happen a lot during this chapter of the show's life, or do they learn to manage their time better so they don't have to edit out the main part of the show in later episodes?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
They're usually pretty good about not editing too much out, and they will often split things up into two episodes if necessary. What does happen though is that when they split into smaller teams of 2-3 in the later episodes, there's one team that won't have as much airtime as all the rest.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Where is my episode when Easy brothers win the game?

Also everyone should watch episode 52. Horror version of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-YgB3dOcac Preview

Nexal fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 7, 2012

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Yeah, the wholesale cutting of stuff that's really noticeable (ie searching for one of the clues) will lessen/disappear as the members get used to the format, get used to each other, and generally have a funnier atmosphere. But smaller things will always continue to get cut. For example, when they have the talks at the beginning of each episode after introducing the guests and do little dance showoffs or whatever, all the members will do something, but only the funny ones will make the cut. For the missions, when a team fails too many times / is falling too behind, the staff will just pass them through and give them the next step. And for the hide-and-seek ones, if a member gets out too easily/unfunnily, they'll just show a couple seconds of that moment instead of showing the whole process leading up to that like they might do with other members.

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 7, 2012

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
If I recall correctly, I think the show also gets slightly longer at one point, which also helps with allowing them to manage what can get aired. But as people have said, the cast and crew start learning pretty quickly how good various members are at certain tasks, so they're able to budget the airtime much better.

The editing is at times pretty harsh - unless the guest is some really famous person, an unfunny team is a team that doesn't get much airtime. The good thing is that, for the main cast, there aren't really any screentime hogs. One episode might spend a lot of time focusing on one or two people, but over multiple episodes everyone gets some chance to be the focus.

Hell, even some of the filming crew get spotlighted now and then.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

If I recall correctly, I think the show also gets slightly longer at one point, which also helps with allowing them to manage what can get aired. But as people have said, the cast and crew start learning pretty quickly how good various members are at certain tasks, so they're able to budget the airtime much better.

The editing is at times pretty harsh - unless the guest is some really famous person, an unfunny team is a team that doesn't get much airtime. The good thing is that, for the main cast, there aren't really any screentime hogs. One episode might spend a lot of time focusing on one or two people, but over multiple episodes everyone gets some chance to be the focus.

Hell, even some of the filming crew get spotlighted now and then.

What about episode 69?
I thought that was ridiculous episode.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Nexal posted:

What about episode 69?
I thought that was ridiculous episode.
I liked that episode if only because, not having heard of the guest before, he had a real-life Adam Jensen beard.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

I liked that episode if only because, not having heard of the guest before, he had a real-life Adam Jensen beard.

I expected more but the screentime of other members was so short and all we saw was them doing nothing so it was meh. Also the concept of that episode seems abit boring considering how Over power the guest is.

Nexal fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 7, 2012

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
The Jong-Kook summary needs a link to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9zU-_uidBs

Looking up things about the cast adds a bit of humor to it. They joke about it sometimes but you dont get any explanation, I guess because it common knowledge in korea?

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Nexal posted:

I expected more but the screentime of other members was so short and all we saw was them doing nothing so it was meh. Also the concept of that episode seems abit boring considering how Over power the guest is.

I really enjoyed the second Running man hunting episode. Choi Min Soo created an incredible character for himself within running man, something very few guests have been able to do.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

RajCooper posted:

The Jong-Kook summary needs a link to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9zU-_uidBs

Looking up things about the cast adds a bit of humor to it. They joke about it sometimes but you dont get any explanation, I guess because it common knowledge in korea?

Basically, yeah. Even those that didn't grow up when Turbo was popular know that Jongkook was a member of Turbo in the past.
He's still active as a solo singer today:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFTr2vDBH40
"One Man" - probably his most famous song and a big hit when it was released in Korea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65S4Z0pRhfY
"(You are) Lovely" - probably his second most famous song.

Kind of weird that his voice doesn't match his crazy muscular image :v:

And of course, Haha is a singer as well, and Gary is a part of the hiphop duo Leesang.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Archer2338 posted:

And of course, Haha is a singer as well, and Gary is a part of the hiphop duo Leesang.

The other half of Leesang is Gil, who's a regular cast member on Infinity Challenge, the other huge variety show YJS does. For people who were wondering what Jae Suk was referring to when he mentioned Gil and compared him with Gary in the first episode.

Haha is also a regular on Infinity Challenge, so he and YJS have been working together forever.

qbert fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 7, 2012

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I think there's at least one Korean speaker in this thread. So at like 1:25 in part 5 of this episode, what id Yoo Jae Suk actually saying? Because the translation (what is a ramie?) makes no sense.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Xandu posted:

I think there's at least one Korean speaker in this thread. So at like 1:25 in part 5 of this episode, what id Yoo Jae Suk actually saying? Because the translation (what is a ramie?) makes no sense.

I don't speak Korean, but Hansan Ramie is a type of Korean fabric.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Archer2338 posted:

Gary is a part of the hiphop duo Leesang.

It's also worth noting that their newest album released last year is incredible.

I have been thinking about this for quite some time... can anyone actually pinpoint when the show became so much less personal, with the members being so spread out all of the time? I rewatched episode 22 earlier today after seeing Siwon in the newest episode and it became so much more obvious that there is something missing in the newer episodes.

I like how ambitious the writers are being, but it still seems it would be nice to take a step back. There is still room for creativity without having to travel around so much.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
I don't have anything insightful to say but this show is pretty good! I saw some recent episodes and decided to go and watch them all in order, up to episode 5 at the moment.

TV Zombie posted:

edit:How did the Saint Agnes song get associated with Kwang Soo?

I don't think there was a specific reason the song was chosen, the editors just inserted the guitar riff when he looked dejected from people speaking over him or when he made a mistake. It stuck.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

sharktamer posted:

I have been thinking about this for quite some time... can anyone actually pinpoint when the show became so much less personal, with the members being so spread out all of the time? I rewatched episode 22 earlier today after seeing Siwon in the newest episode and it became so much more obvious that there is something missing in the newer episodes.

I like how ambitious the writers are being, but it still seems it would be nice to take a step back. There is still room for creativity without having to travel around so much.

I think they feel it's necessary to switch up the format every so often, but I don't find the episodes they spend travelling from place to place for clues to be nearly as interesting. I think it started around episode 49.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world

sharktamer posted:

It's also worth noting that their newest album released last year is incredible.

Oh yeah. For those that are not familiar with them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rza4xuw6wus
The MV for "Turned off the TV" with subtitles.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz14DP8doXA
The IC Rowing Project song - Leesang with MC Nalyu (Yoojaesuk's nickname) and Jungin.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajuXnNPXCHk
The hilarious "Kyuksantawoo" MV featuring Gwangsoo and Haha :v:

Turn on CC for all of those; I found the ones with Eng subs.

And yeah, Hansan Ramie (Hansan is a region, and Ramie is English name for the fiber plant called Mosi in Korea) is a type of traditional fabric made from traditional means that dates back to ~1500 years ago or something. It's somewhat coarse compared to, say, cotton, but it's much cooler so it'd be worn in the summer.

Archer2338 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 8, 2012

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Archer2338 posted:

Oh yeah. For those that are not familiar with them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rza4xuw6wus
The MV for "Turned off the TV" with subtitles.

Here's a pretty good live version despite bad audio ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDk9utr9fLs

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
WOW.

Somebody is going to bring this to the attention of MTV one day, and if they can get the cast chemistry HALF as right as SBS got it here they will be paid in fully loaded Brinks Trucks for a second season.

They probably couldn't if they're working for MTV, but if they did...

Revenant Threshold, thanks for posting this thread and giving me something to do tonight. qbert, good loving call on putting Episode 13 at the top of your list.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

Somebody is going to bring this to the attention of MTV one day, and if they can get the cast chemistry HALF as right as SBS got it here they will be paid in fully loaded Brinks Trucks for a second season.
I wouldn't be shocked. They've done Silent Library, and over here in the UK we had the Hole in the Wall show. Program makers these days seem to be trawling Youtube and watching foreign shows for their ideas.

Selane
May 19, 2006

It aired after that list was made, but for the love of god put episode 74super powers episode into the recommendation list.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Selane posted:

What the Selane said. This is one of those best quality episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Selane posted:

Yep, great episode, but maybe wait for the iSubs release before putting it on the list. I tolerate kshownow because I have to, but I rewatch every iSubs release because the episode ends up making much more sense.