Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«192 »
saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

(READ THIS poo poo: If you are working on an SCP, article, etc. don't post it here. The SCP wiki has ample guides, resources, an entire specific sub-forum for writing this stuff, AND an IRC channel at #Site19! This thread got shitcanned the last time around because it devolved into "I have an idea for an SCP *POSTS MASSIVE WALL OF TEXT* What do you think?" This is a discussion thread. If you wrote an entry and it's officially part of the site, I have no problem with you posting it. OTHERWISE KEEP IT OUT OF THIS THREAD.)
(SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT 110-MONTAUK AND ABLE)

The website

The Administrator posted:

Mankind in its present state has been around for a quarter of a million years, yet only the last 4,000 have been of any significance. So, what did we do for nearly 250,000 years? We huddled in caves and around small fires, fearful of the things that we didn't understand. It was more than explaining why the sun came up, it was the mystery of enormous birds with heads of men, and rocks that came to life. So we called them 'gods' and 'demons,' and begged them to spare us and prayed for salvation.

In time, their numbers dwindled and our numbers rose. The world began to make more sense when there were less things to fear. Yet, the unexplained can never truly go away, as if the universe demands the absurd and impossible.

Mankind must not go back to hiding in fear. No one else will protect us, we must stand up for ourselves.
While the rest of mankind dwell in the light, we must stand in the darkness to combat it, contain it, and shield it from the eyes of the public, so that others may live in a sane, normal world.

We secure. We contain. We protect.

Q: What the gently caress is this poo poo, some kind of 2012 cult?
A:Far from it, ye of little knowledge. This is the S.C.P Foundation.
The Foundation is a website were various (real) people come up with thousands of "unexplained events" (sometimes deriving from popular myths and mysteries (the montauk monster for example) and describe, flesh out, and (attempt to) base boogeyman stories in a real world setting written in a government report format.

Q: So it's like X-Files/Torchwood?
A: it is very much like said shows except it ranges from harmless things like a sentient key that can open almost any lock, to downright motherfucking insanely creepy poo poo (A.K.A 173 oh god oh god oh god i have to blink it's so loving creepy help me ).

Q: Is this "Foundation" a real thing that i have to conspire over until i drive away all social life
A:That's creepily specific but no. The S.C.P Foundation is a fictional government agency established sometime between [REDACTED] on the purpose of monitoring global communications/the internet/myths and religions to discover various items that "endanger normalcy" and Secure, Contain, and Protect them so the truth about how horrible reality is never gets out.

Q: So how did this all get started?
A: It all originally began when an anonymous user posted SCP-173 on 4chan's /x/ board, where other 4channers found it to be pretty awesome, and quite creepy. (coincidentally, the start of modern "Creepypastas" happened at roughly the same date, including the first two entries in The Holders series.)
Over the next few months, people keep re-posting 173, prompting others to make their own. Many of these now make up the original series.
In January 2008, the original SCP wiki is put up, along with all the compiled stories. By mid June, the stores go from a dozen to one hundred and sixty six, including twelve joke articles. The wiki is then moved from editthis.info to wikidot, and the rest is history.
A few hacks and vandalism incidents here, two perma-bans there, enough terrible articles thrown in the writing furnace to fill fanfiction.net, and here we are today.

The website also contains various humorous SCPs, a whole Creepypasta section and background Foundation fluff.

Don't know what you should read? Try these top of the line articles!
(Thanks to: Ergonomix, SporkTSI, Frostwerks, Mr. Pumroy, Chamale, ElMaligno, IShallRiseAgain, President Ark, The MSJ, Bieeardo, In It For The Tank, Laserjet 4P, Electric Bugaloo, Wedemeyer, Penguingo, Boneitis, InShaneee, Calaveron, Mudlark, PierreTheMime, eating only apples, Knackered, MikeJF, chokeandstroke, Davincie, fleshy echidna, Noreaus, Cukel, foobardog, Action Yak Police, w0o0o0o, Rough Lobster, Parahexavoctal, Edminster, The Cheshire Cat, Splicer, YASD, Zelder, CommissarMega, Balobam)

Creepy
173 - The Sculpture The first SCP.
543 - Noise
701 - The Hanged King's Tragedy
555 - Corpse Magnet
670 - Family of Cotton
342 - A Ticket to Ride
439 - Bone Hive
089 - Tophet
140 - An Incomplete Chronicle
106 - The Old Man
035 - Possessive Mask
966 - Sleep Killer
136 - Naked Doll
072 - The Foot of the Bed
178 - "3-D" Specs
303 - The Doorman
453 - Scripted Nightclub
205 - Shadow Lamps
616 - The Vessel and the Gate
782 - All-New You
1084 - A Damaged Mausoleum
1221 - Unidentified Bus
583 - Deathly Video Tape
051 - Japanese Obstetrical Model
447 - Ball of Green Slime
1555 - Facility
1733 - Season Opener
1792 - Viral Video

Objects
1138 - Book of Letters
101 - Hungry Bag
1049-J - The Grim Bucket
300 - "A World in a Bottle"
1022 - Suspiciously Clean Coat
032 - Titania's Prisons
708 - Big Orange Forklift
1881 - Arcade Machine
471 - A Satellite
1947 - Emission Sphere
328 - Alien Disc

Lifeforms
682 - Hard-to-Destroy Reptile
1013 - Cockatrice
1014 - Jonah Crusoe
1000 - Bigfoot
296 - Armed Containment Site-03 (Judgement)
507 - Reluctant Dimension Hopper
163 - An Old Castaway
955 - Mr. Sillybug
252 - Humboldt Squid
423 - Self-Inserting Character
598 - Sentient Color
1845 - Feudal Society
1280 - Mematodes
086 - The Office of Dr. [REDACTED]

Funny
713 - Click Anywhere Computer
168 - Sentient Calculator
504 - Critical Tomatoes
426 - Ordinary Toaster
50-ae-J - The Deagle
028 - Knowledge
100-J A Steaming Pile of ████
572 - Katana of Apparent Invincibility
5308-J - The Collection
069-J - "Sisters of Cheyenne Point"
666-J - Dr. Gerald's Driving Skills
682-J - SUPER BESTEST LIZERD EVER
344-J - Glass-Like Lifeform
006-J - WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT THING
1543-J - The Sun Launcher
001-J- The Big Red Button
732 - The Fan-Fic Plague
Log of Anomalous Ducks
001-EX-J - Records of the CKG Gathering
999-J - Creepy Speedo Man
777-J - Darkblade

"Exploration" SCPs
(always read the exploration logs)
610 - The Flesh That Hates
093 - Red Sea Object
087 - The Stairwell
440 - Sand-Based Ecology
084 - Static Tower
184 - The Architect
648 - The Labyrinth
354 - The Red Pool
432 - Cabinet Maze
120 - Teleporting Paddling Pool
455 - Cargo Ship

"Object Maker" SCPs
(remember to read any linked documents)
914 - The Clockworks
294 - The Coffee Machine
261 - Pan-Dimensional Vending Machine
1014 - Poor Man's Midas
387 - Living Lego
407 - The Song of Genesis

Anomalies
176 - Observable Time Loop
112 - The Variable Coaster
684 - The Caretaken
1923 - The Asteroid Forest
4237-J - Object of Indescribable Action
167 - Infinite Labyrinth
055 - [unknown]
962 - Tower of Babble
An Important Letter
465 - Party in a Box
1646 - Vendetta
970 - Recursive Room Phenomenon
1059 - Infectious Censorship
557 - Ancient Containment Site

SCP-inspired games:
The original SCP-087 game by Haversine (Windows) (Mac)
SCP-087-B
SCP Containment Breach

Other Stuff:
173 animation
Killing The Enemies And His Family Too, By Captain Dmitri Arkadeyevich Strelnikovov
Revised-Entry
black white black white black white black white black white gray
A.S.S. and Other Low-threat Groups of Interest
The Happy Ending
Dr Mann's proposal for SCP-001
Revenants
SCP-1851-EX aka "yep this happened"
Document Recovered From The Marianas Trench
Most of the deleted Fishmonger entries
Exit Strategy
Immortality
The Wanderers' Library
SCP-1893 - The Minotaur's Tale (Go to the discussion page and scroll down a bit for all iteration links if you're impatient)
Ask Doctor Mann
Ethics Committee Orientation

Also try Top Rated Pages which has what the community has rated good.

Crazy poo poo the last thread spawned (Requires Archives):

Genesplicer phone calls/stories/is awesome
Ms.19 phone interview
4 part Mr.{Redacted} phone interview
Mr.{Redacted} hates genesplicer
Lying to Gypsies
Fun With Stationary

stuff not by Genesplicer

Jiro Kage posted:

What page are they on, or can we get a link in the OP to the templates for the graph paper/drawing stuff? I want to use some and leave them around the school here too. I've already done a bunch, and we discussed in irc about how adding some of the stuff here to the SCP wiki would be a good idea.

Edit: Nevermind, I somehow blew past it last page. Anyways, adding it to the OP would be nice!

Edit 2: Dodging work today, one ubuntu theme at a time:

Want to help turn your town/city/county/underground secret government facility into a pack of paranoid crazy people? Use these completely harmless stickers on everything you think could have terrible abyssal monsters in it! Everyone should print these babies out and cause worldwide panic so we all get arrested:

Lediur posted:

Thought I'd try my hand at making a sticker.

Printable at 3" x 3", 600 dpi.

I included some of the things from the letterhead, namely the space to put an SCP number and its classification (Safe Euclid Keter). There's also the QR tag from the yellow sticker, and a black-and-white Microsoft Tag.

Here's the (cleaned up) PSD if anyone wants to take a look.

http://files.lediur.com/images/sa/scp/scp-sticker-1.psd

You need the Agency FB, OCR A Extended, and Helvetica Neue fonts.

Edminster posted:

Here's the notepad thing from last go 'round:

Vistaprint thinks they're too low-quality to print at 8.5x11" though.

Since the original thread expired, a new line of SCPs is being written, ranging from SCP-1000 to SCP-1999. That's almost a thousand potential new creepy texts for your amusement, though only a fraction of them are written currently.

(I'd like to thank fellow goon Iacen a billion times over for taking the time to salvage this OP from the last thread, fixing the Genesplicer links, and for re-hosting the pictures that needed it. This new thread wouldn't be here without him.)

saberwulf fucked around with this message at May 4, 2012 around 02:37

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Might as well start off the new thread with the new series!

Humanization Process
http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-1011

A pretty good one. It's a statue that, when seen, causes people to gleefully work non-stop. Eventually they'll stop eating, drinking, or going to the bathroom, and by stage II they abandon all clothing an tools, instead using their body for labor. By stage IV they've grown tools on their bodies, and have resorted to using each other as building materials. The addenda are pretty skin-crawly.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The last thing Killstealing sees before his mustache ride.

~*~Straight Balling~*~

Oh boy, a new one of these threads. I always enjoy this kind of horror stuff.

You forgot to link something in the OP though, this little animation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBLIAasOfxk

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Davincie posted:

You forgot to link something in the OP though, this little animation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBLIAasOfxk

I've never actually seen that one! Creepy as hell.

If I'm remebering correctly, the guy who originally wrote 173 (thereby subsequently creating SCP as a whole) is actually a goon. He posted in the last thread about it, including his original ideas about the foundation back when the only thing that existed was his "The Statue" post on /x/. I particularly liked his explanation of the original classification levels. If I had archives I'd sift through and look for it.

In other news, the new series kicks off by finally making Bigfoot an SCP.

Alberto Basalm
Nov 14, 2005

My favorite SCP has always been The Empty World. The thought of something not explicitly deadly or scary, just trapping you in an empty and lonesome world for an indeterminate time, gets my skin crawling more than ANYTHING else on the site. I can't shake the feeling.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Davincie posted:

Blink was one of my favourite Doctor Who episodes, and I also enjoy this kind of horror. Time to give it a look!

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

Ah, I remember reading through the last thread a while back before I got my account. SCP-610 is probably the best one on the site. I just wish exploration log 6 would be written.

SCP-084 is a personal favorite of mine. It reminds me of the Zone, except that it's not actively trying to kill you.

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Do they ever do something about Class Ds getting killed by the truckload? A story stops being scary when you know to expect a few hundred deaths.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

~*~Straight Balling~*~

Also, I don't remember their numbers but for exploration you are still missing at least a few pretty good SCP's. One of them took place on a rusted old boat and the other one featured a lake the explorers go into. There was also one that described some sort of huge underground building (think of a bunker for surviving a disaster) where people had dissapeared from but I don't remember if it was actually explored.

edit: Oh and one with endless hallways people could walk around in, that would change every time someone entered.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Your words are as empty as your cereal bowl. I am the Vanguard of your Hanzo steel's destruction. This exchange is over...

When I worked Saturdays in a call center, I once brought in a flash drive with the PDF versions of some of these.

I let the lady who sat next to me copy them and "highly recommended" SCP-701. She spent the rest of the day alternating between crossing herself and doing her best impersonation. And jumping at literally everything that happened around her.

I still think a good "prank" would be to print the memo for "Procedure 110-Montauk" on the company's letterhead and just leave it somewhere in the office.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Davincie posted:

Also, I don't remember their numbers but for exploration you are still missing at least a few pretty good SCP's. One of them took place on a rusted old boat and the other one featured a lake the explorers go into. There was also one that described some sort of huge underground building (think of a bunker for surviving a disaster) where people had dissapeared from but I don't remember if it was actually explored.

edit: Oh and one with endless hallways people could walk around in, that would change every time someone entered.

I don't remember the numbers for them, but I know which one's you're talking about.

If you guys find any SCPs that are must-reads, or even just particularly interesting and well-written, post them I'll put them in the OP links. It'll be good to get the lists more fleshed out, and make it easier for people who are overwhelmed by the main series list to get to the best articles.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

SCP-670 is rather good. The pictures are pretty creepy as well. I imagine them moving around and "fixing" each other and

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at Jan 7, 2012 around 23:26

Spaticus
Feb 25, 2007

Understanding what thread you're in is futile the monkey said as it double-clicked the report button.

I never got into the last SCP thread. but now that I found it, it's extremely addicting.

Nombres
Jul 16, 2009

Jesus Christ, the meme-speak in some of the newbie "read these first" articles makes them nearly unreadable. Shut up with this "over 9000" bullshit, please.

Is the community at large like this?

Lord Solitare
Feb 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh

It helps to just hit Random SCP or whatever and read those. Ignore anything else on the site.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So I've been meaning to ask, when was SCP-173 posted on 4Chan? Not that it matters either way as both Doctor Who and SCP do very different and interesting things with the whole "quantum-locked psychopath" concept, I've always been curious if Doctor Who borrowed the conceit from 4Chan or where exactly the idea originated.

scalded schlong
Sep 20, 2003

saberwulf posted:

Might as well start off the new thread with the new series!

Humanization Process
http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-1011

A pretty good one. It's a statue that, when seen, causes people to gleefully work non-stop. Eventually they'll stop eating, drinking, or going to the bathroom, and by stage II they abandon all clothing an tools, instead using their body for labor. By stage IV they've grown tools on their bodies, and have resorted to using each other as building materials. The addenda are pretty skin-crawly.

This is a pretty good idea, but it's also a good example of the terrible use of [redacted] tags that's pretty endemic on the site.

I mean, really:

quote:

The hall containing the object contained several piles of clothing and some [DATA EXPUNGED]

quote:

The furnace was cooled, inspection revealed it containing remains of blood and scraps of tissue, however [DATA EXPUNGED]stency.

[REDACTED]
encountered one of the former workers, He lacked clothing and his ana[DATA EXPUNGED]

Basically I really like the SCP series, but as the thread title sort of implies, it's full of entries that feel like they've got a quota of square brackets they have to use up.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-342

Awesome one about some sort of ticket to hell. Or some hell like dimension who knows.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

So I've been meaning to ask, when was SCP-173 posted on 4Chan? Not that it matters either way as both Doctor Who and SCP do very different and interesting things with the whole "quantum-locked psychopath" concept, I've always been curious if Doctor Who borrowed the conceit from 4Chan or where exactly the idea originated.
I think 173 was posted after those Dr. Who eps came out, but I hadn't heard of the Weeping Angels until well after.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Nombres posted:

Jesus Christ, the meme-speak in some of the newbie "read these first" articles makes them nearly unreadable. Shut up with this "over 9000" bullshit, please.

Is the community at large like this?

Lord Solitare posted:

It helps to just hit Random SCP or whatever and read those. Ignore anything else on the site.

Pretty much this. You have to remember that there are actual people writing these things, and while there is a pretty strict evaluation process for the SCPs themselves, there really isn't one at all for general information articles and fiction stories. I would just do what Lord Solitare said, or skim the Main Lists and choose at random. Or just read the recommended entries in the OP.

mind the walrus posted:

Late Summer 2007, roughly around the same time Blink was broadcast. Strangely, as I said in the OP, at almost this exact same time the modern Creepypastas were created, along with the first two entries in "The Holders". Guess June-July '07 was the time for darkness.

Penguingo posted:

Basically I really like the SCP series, but as the thread title sort of implies, it's full of entries that feel like they've got a quota of square brackets they have to use up.

Yeah, that used to be a major problem with many of the entries. Over time though they've started to clean them up. Honestly, 1011 would be fine if some people came in and just changed the wording around to fix all the [REDACTED]s. Thankfully, that's one of the reasons SCP Foundation is a wiki.

saberwulf fucked around with this message at Jan 8, 2012 around 00:22

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

I've never quite under[REDACTED] why some of the writers of these entr[DATA EXPUNGED] feel the need to [EXPUNGED] in the middle of words.

Edit: saberwulf, the "Exploration" and "Object Maker" list in the OP are messed up. Looks like an incorrectly placed [url] tag.

Robot Randy fucked around with this message at Jan 8, 2012 around 00:25

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

how i wonder what you are

SporkTSI posted:

I've never quite under[REDACTED] why some of the writers of these entr[DATA EXPUNGED] feel the need to [EXPUNGED] in the middle of words.

It's the hazards of having an open wiki like this, some of the entries suck. But the ones that own really do own, so it's a net plus in my book. I lost a lot of hours to this site when I learned about it in the last thread.

This one in particular stuck with me. Particularly the final note.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam
Never be afraid of being yourself!

SporkTSI posted:

lovely style, that's all. Some people overdo the "leave some to the imagination" part by getting annoying with it, but other people pull it off really well.

AATREK CURES KIDS
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The SCP foundation is great. My favourite article is SCP 682, which I'm surprised wasn't in the OP.

Do they have an archive of their deleted entries? There were some articles I liked that got culled at some point.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

Chamale posted:

The SCP foundation is great. My favourite article is SCP 682, which I'm surprised wasn't in the OP.

Do they have an archive of their deleted entries? There were some articles I liked that got culled at some point.

I think those are the ones with the "-D" annotation.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

SporkTSI posted:

Edit: saberwulf, the "Exploration" and "Object Maker" list in the OP are messed up. Looks like an incorrectly placed [url] tag.

Woops, forogt to put a [/url] tag on Static Tower. Thanks for noticing.

Chamale posted:

Well the bulk of the OP lists are from the old thread, and I never really bothered to update them after a few times. I'll be actively expanding that whole section this time around.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

~*~Straight Balling~*~

There were also a whole bunch of (good) SCP's deleted when the writer quit with a lot of drama. There was a zip going around containing all of them in the previous thread, but I think its in archives and I deleted my own copy a while ago.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Davincie posted:

There were also a whole bunch of (good) SCP's deleted when the writer quit with a lot of drama. There was a zip going around containing all of them in the previous thread, but I think its in archives and I deleted my own copy a while ago.

When my next paycheck comes in I'll finally be purchasing archives and I'll go through the whole old thread and dig out anything I can salvage. I encourage others to check out the old thread also, it has some great stuff in it that would suck rear end if it was lost.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

The Friend seems like something that should be secured and contained.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

I think The Friend illistrates one of the things I like most in horrorish sci-fi: People reacting to, and finding ways to deal with things they don't fully understand.
The better SCP files are ussualy about that. "We don't know what it is, where it came from or what it wants, but if you follow these instructions to the letter, you will probably survive contact with it, or at least you won't spread the problem any further."

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-1012 "Secret Cord" is a pretty cool one form the new list. It consists of four sound frequencies that if played in unison for a few seconds in a certain radius, will pretty much disintegrate the Earth. The Foundation was so strict about preventing that scenario that they eradicated an entire whale species that produced Tone C in its whale song.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

It's not gay if you're underway.

The new list has both good and very dumb as gently caress poo poo:
Ouroboros - Somewhat of an immortal lady.
Book of letters - My favorite one of the bunch, a book that kills smart people.
loving laser sharks - What the gently caress Doctor Wondertainment????
A hat - From the new kids of the ALEXYLVA UNIVERSITY, those silly goofs.

Edit: The Deagle -

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at Jan 8, 2012 around 02:23

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011
Tell me to shut the fuck up.

SporkTSI posted:

I think those are the ones with the "-D" annotation.

-D is for decommissioned, which are basically entries that were so bad that they inspired other people to write stories about them getting destroyed for being bad.

The Worst Muslim
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

[EXPUNGED] [REDACTED] [EXPUNGED]oying.

I love these though. However you can usually see who are the new writers by what they choose to have as a new SCP. It's usually very dangerous and will destroy the whole world unless we do what it says.

Edit: Holy gently caress the Deagle is the best article.

The Worst Muslim fucked around with this message at Jan 8, 2012 around 02:57

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

I remember really liking this website the first time someone posted about it, but then slowly as you get more involved you start to realize there were too many stories written about terrible anime characters or some pathetic animu shitbird author inserting himself into the story in the form of some lame anime/dbz hybrid where he fights the forces of evil with a large sword or some equally horrible poo poo.

Has this stuff been purged at all or do I just have to sift through it to find the gems?

Anime really does ruin everything.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

The new list has both good and very dumb as gently caress poo poo:
Ouroboros - Somewhat of an immortal lady.
Book of letters - My favorite one of the bunch, a book that kills smart people.
loving laser sharks - What the gently caress Doctor Wondertainment????
A hat - From the new kids of the ALEXYLVA UNIVERSITY, those silly goofs.

Edit: The Deagle -

1203 is decent, though they should the current age thing. I agree on 1138, though. That's a really good one.

Alexylva is a stupid name, even if all the university-made entries are from a "Rome never fell" Universe.

Also

Edit:

Someguy posted:

I remember really liking this website the first time someone posted about it, but then slowly as you get more involved you start to realize there were too many stories written about terrible anime characters or some pathetic animu shitbird author inserting himself into the story in the form of some lame anime/dbz hybrid where he fights the forces of evil with a large sword or some equally horrible poo poo.

Has this stuff been purged at all or do I just have to sift through it to find the gems?

There's only one DBZ-esque guy, and he is literally the only one to ever be allowed. If someone makes anything else like Abel, the staff purges the poo poo out of it. Hell, the only reason Abel is allowed is solely because "If you write something dumber than Abel and it doesn't have a J on it, we will delete that piece of poo poo. Maybe even if it has a J." People really don't even mention his stupid task force anymore, anyway.

Someguy posted:

Anime really does ruin everything.

(Counterpoint, Mushishi. It's like if you crossed SCP, a nature documentary, and 19th century Japan. Check out the entry on the Something Awful anime wiki if any of that interests you.)

saberwulf fucked around with this message at Jan 8, 2012 around 02:52

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

anger issues

saberwulf posted:

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-1012 "Secret Cord" is a pretty cool one

Honestly, this one is poo poo and reeks of someone who read a semi-technical paragraph on something related, and wrote about poo poo without understanding anything because it was "neat". If you're going to write something while trying to be vaguely science-fictiony about it, at least do the necessary research.

Not to be all physics-nerd, since not even sound engineers always have a strong understanding of the ramifications of interference patterns in sound (the thing discussed in the article is sometimes used for active noise canceling, but only works if you know the exact position of the listener (and there can only be one), since the "antiphase" is precisely the same as the original.

Is this one emotionally exploitative photos from Christian Childrens Fund / ChildFund ? It looks really familiar.

LOCUST FART HELL
Mar 8, 2007

Why the lights? Are you that desperate for attention? How disturbing.

I started reading through these a week or so ago and it was a nice surprise after so much creepy stuff when I came across SCP-131, aka the "Eye Pods". Basically little robot pets roaming about the facilities with a cat-like curiosity and a dog-like friendliness. They even try to warn people about dangerous situations!

Also, the "explained" SCP-8900-EX has a neat twist, the world used to be in black and white, and colour is the result of some unknown disease that the SCP foundation tried and failed to contain.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

Kiss Me, I'm Hateful!

Slanderer posted:

Honestly, this one is poo poo and reeks of someone who read a semi-technical paragraph on something related, and wrote about poo poo without understanding anything because it was "neat". If you're going to write something while trying to be vaguely science-fictiony about it, at least do the necessary research.

Not to be all physics-nerd, since not even sound engineers always have a strong understanding of the ramifications of interference patterns in sound (the thing discussed in the article is sometimes used for active noise canceling, but only works if you know the exact position of the listener (and there can only be one), since the "antiphase" is precisely the same as the original.

I wouldn't worry too much about the actual science behind it and, really, that's a perfectly logical place to get inspiration. I don't care if it has absolutely no scientific basis, it's a collection of fictional stories meant to be weird and creepy and anomalous. I mean, the whole point of SCP is a bunch of weird poo poo that violates the laws of reality as we know it, so the Foundation hides this poo poo from the world so that people don't have their views of "reality" shattered.

It's ultimately Lovecraftian fiction, actually, which is based on the idea that the laws of physics are more like guidelines. The basic idea is that "reality" is a huge illusion that puny, feeble human minds craft to keep themselves sane. Things that don't operate the way stuff should (indestructible lizards? statues that only move when you aren't looking at them? a medical apparatus that sends you to an alternate, empty, lifeless world?) are at least vaguely creepy and often horrifying, as it preys on the fear of the unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetimecontinuu
Dec 31, 2004

Oh god. Doesn't everybody remember the "why is this flyer here" thread? Short version, some dude in my town put up a poster that said "why does this flyer have anthrax on it" or something, and immediately the state police were called and launched a $500,000 investigation to ensure no deadly bio-weapons were on the paper. Then, I had to help my father, a local cop, coordinate with the loving FBI so they didn't come in and arrest the acquaintance of mine, an SA poster by the name of lol-something-or-other, and charge him with some outrageous form of terrorism. If you are in the US, do not be surprised if the authorities are loving pissed at you if they find out you're responsible for putting a paper somewhere that scared people.

Although to be fair, the flyer in question insinuated it actually had anthrax on it, and it was only a few years after the anthrax mail murders here in the US.

«192 »