Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«192 »
edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

Someguy posted:

You should post the ones you removed, let us be the judge and not some animu dummies, something tells me your entries are probably more interesting then most of the crud that gets up-voted these days anyway.

Not to be a buzz kill, but isn't stuff like that what got the last thread closed? I can't exactly remember the reason given, but it was something like "take it to Creative Convention." Not that I agree with the reasoning, since it kinda ticked me off when the last thread was closed, but I don't want this one closed before it can get off the ground.

Anyway, the SCP community itself seems to actually gotten better. The last thread I read some decent entries that were smashed into the ground over minor stuff(such as not having enough [REDACTED]s), but the comments this time seem much more respectful and more like constructive criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeardo
Aug 21, 2000

Someone bold, someone blue, someone borrowed, someone new...

Laserjet 4P posted:

The SCP Foundation is

I think http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-035 is one of the scariest - it's pretty much unstoppable. I wonder what it would've done if they left it in the sealed crypt it was found in.

Reading this one, I nipped back over to the entry for SCP-101. I don't remember Telekill having those unfortunate other effects before. Oh, boy. That adds a fun little wrinkle to the stuff.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

Our future is at stake.

Glad to see this got another thread. Add one to the 'miffed the other thread got purged' tally.

Here are my highest-rated SCPs of mine, not counting SCP-440, which I plan on doing a second exploratory log for:

SCP-112 - The Variable Coaster
It's a three minute ride. Unless it's not.

SCP-684 - The Caretaken
You haven't been you for a while, now. You weren't before, and you aren't now.

SCP-1049-J - The Grim Bucket
Makes things more 'realistic' and 'edgy' and 'intense'. Geoff Johns can destroy it, if he wants to.

SCP-1923 - The Asteroid Forest
There's something growing on an asteroid. It's trying to communicate with Earth.

SCP-4237-J - The Object of Indescribable Action
It, well... it kinda... gently caress, what's the word, it.. dammit!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

> typeof null === "object";
true
>

MisterBibs posted:

SCP-4237-J - The Object of Indescribable Action
It, well... it kinda... gently caress, what's the word, it.. dammit!

The best part of this is "[DATA ASSUMED TO QUALIFY FOR REDACTION]." Like, we don't know what the gently caress he was saying, but it sounds pretty awful!

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Penguingo posted:

I'd like to say the third pair is the Ball of Green Slime, but that's unlikely.
Someday, I'd like to know what effect this has to corpses.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

oh my goodness, tyrannosaurs in F-14s

So glad this thread is back! I'm no writer, but I did find something that could be a great starting point.

I just found out about this artist, and most of his sculptures would make great SCP fuel. http://www.henriqueoliveira.com/tridimensionais.html I don't know about using the pictures on the website, but I think that the flesh that hates entry has some art as it's image too. I guess SCP isn't that huge of a site, or trying to claim that the art is their's, so maybe it's fine?.Here's a sample photo of what the work looks like:

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

Goddrat, I didn't realize how loving long it would take to categorize all the SCPs people have been posting. Fells good to keep those lists updated, at least.

edgeman83 posted:

Anyway, the SCP community itself seems to actually gotten better. The last thread I read some decent entries that were smashed into the ground over minor stuff(such as not having enough [REDACTED]s), but the comments this time seem much more respectful and more like constructive criticism.

Yeah, the site has really gotten better about that kind of stuff, which is good. Even the chat (which I yet to visit. I really have to get around to that) has cut any of the roleplaying poo poo out, barring the specific roleplaying channels. Even too many "/me"s can get your rear end kicked unless it's in the RP channels.

But if anyone thinks that an entry of theirs was crushed for some sufficiently dumb or insanely obtuse reason, bring it up in the Forum or the #Site19 chat room (Read this so you don't get your rear end banned from the chat).
Even then, read the Guide To Newbies and How To Write an SCP pages before you go and complain about anything. Yeah, there is a bit of stupid wording and in-jokes in those pages, but they serve their purpose. And if there's something you're still not sure of, ask about it on #Site19. From what I've heard, the Staff is more than happy to help you.

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

I just found out about this artist, and most of his sculptures would make great SCP fuel. http://www.henriqueoliveira.com/tridimensionais.html I don't know about using the pictures on the website, but I think that the flesh that hates entry has some art as it's image too. I guess SCP isn't that huge of a site, or trying to claim that the art is their's, so maybe it's fine?.Here's a sample photo of what the work looks like:

Far as I know, any pictures are pretty much free game. There's actually a whole page on the site for SCP-ish pictures for article purposes. It's always good to double-check in #Site19, though.

Bieeardo
Aug 21, 2000

SCP-1024 is impressively nerdy.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

SCP-1024 is impressively nerdy.

The idea's there, but as was said in the page discussion, the execution is boring as poo poo. If the book allowed people to perform small, usually harmless versions of actual D&D spells and was discovered by some holy-roller grandma walking in on her her grandson and his friends shooting sparks out of thier fingers, it would be a lot better and play into the "Satanic" controversy over D&D from the eighties.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING?

MisterBibs posted:

SCP-112 - The Variable Coaster
It's a three minute ride. Unless it's not.

This one gives me real chills, it's fantastic.

I'm rather partial to Dr Mann's proposal for SCP-001, myself. It's a little different and it helps to read it with the mindset of "there is no canon". I like the way that it implies that if there were only one little piece of the universe where the laws of physics, space and reason did not apply, man would exploit it to its fullest extent.

Bieeardo
Aug 21, 2000

saberwulf posted:

The idea's there, but as was said in the page discussion, the execution is boring as poo poo. If the book allowed people to perform small, usually harmless versions of actual D&D spells and was discovered by some holy-roller grandma walking in on her her grandson and his friends shooting sparks out of thier fingers, it would be a lot better and play into the "Satanic" controversy over D&D from the eighties.

That's why I found it so impressive: at least some of those are D&D spells, specifically a handful of the level 0 cantrips that apprentices are supposed to learn before going on to Magic Missile and Fireball. Impressively nerdy, though not necessarily impressively written.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Noreaus posted:

I'm rather partial to Dr Mann's proposal for SCP-001, myself. It's a little different and it helps to read it with the mindset of "there is no canon". I like the way that it implies that if there were only one little piece of the universe where the laws of physics, space and reason did not apply, man would exploit it to its fullest extent.

I know it'll never become the real 001 (hell, there's an almost 100% chance they'll never choose the true 001), but that doesn't stop me from loving the Maan Proposal. It's just so good in its execution.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

DJ Wannabe of the Chan of Four

I love how the entire wiki fucks with Dr. King.

Any experiment he does results in a variable number of apple seeds.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Gee, you're-a... you're really lookin' at me there, That Apple.

Yes. Yes yes yes. I'm glad this thread is back. I haven't seen the new series of SCPs at all.

I'm the one that put up the stickers that got Mr {Redacted} last time. I've got to do it again. Maybe there are more paranoid, angry people out there. I didn't even put that many stickers up last time.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

GOOOOOOOOOOONS!

Casull posted:

I love how the entire wiki fucks with Dr. King.

Any experiment he does results in a variable number of apple seeds.

My favorite Dr. King moment is when he places a flame-thrower into the bucket of black paint that makes things dark and grim.

It falls apart into a thousand black, spiked apple seeds.

Edminster
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Here's the notepad thing from last go 'round:

Vistaprint thinks they're too low-quality to print at 8.5x11" though.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005
Engage according to operational parameters

I think I've just found my favorite result for SCP-261 (the vending machine):

quote:

Item description: Small cardboard can of “Eetmees”, with the rest of the packaging labelled in French describing the foodstuff as “Irresistibly Good!” and “Undeniably Tasty!”. Can contains five small, three-legged crab-like creatures with tiny claws and large, dewy eyes. When released, they leap up and down ecstatically, clicking their claws and screaming, “Eat me!” over and over again in shrill, high-pitched voices. If subject delays or refuses to eat them, the “Eetmees” become more and more desperate, climbing on each other’s shoulders and even leaping at the subject to force their way into the subject’s mouth. When chewed, the creatures shriek in joy and delight, even going “weeee” as they are swallowed. Prof. Snider was quoted to describe the creatures as “tasty, but disturbing.”

Weeee!

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

Our future is at stake.

edgeman83 posted:

One word of warning, though: if you're on the chat, do not post the Bioware Gigglesquee image and say that such things are abnormal or wrong. There's a few of those people in there, from time to time, which I found out the other day.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

God, I love the Foundation.
I've been reading for years now, but I haven't had any great ideas to put up yet. Just stuff to play around with. It's like a big, user-generated ARG that's not advertising anything.

Also, Clef is surprisingly nice and accessible. Ask him about Kondraki. (don't.)

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

birds.

The pages in the OP are pretty fun, but I honestly wish I hadn't read much beyond that. Far too many of the entries aren't compelling or spooky, they're just stupid gross. I'm not left feeling scared or intrigued, just... dirty. The creepiest part of the SCP foundation is, by far, the tvtrops assholes writing for it, which is too bad because I like the idea and there is some genuinely entertaining stuff in there.

Electric Bugaloo
Oct 20, 2007

pruney back

I don't remember ever seeing SCP-966 ("Sleep Killer") in the last thread, which is a shame because it freaks me right the gently caress out.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-966

Oh god. That picture. That picture ruined my night the first time I saw it. The page loaded and there it was, staring into my soul.

JOHN SKELETON
Dec 12, 2005

Revenants is still the best one on the site. It's clever.

I wrote this some time ago and kinda forgot about it. Nice to see it didn't get downvoted. Feel free to offer feedback on how to improve it or something, and I will proceed to do nothing about it since I forgot my login info

JOHN SKELETON fucked around with this message at Jan 9, 2012 around 11:28

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?

Edminster posted:

Vistaprint thinks they're too low-quality to print at 8.5x11" though.

I hope those are done in Illustrator and you're just providing JPGs for convenience.

If not, I'll turn them into PDFs that they should've been.

Edminster
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Laserjet 4P posted:

I hope those are done in Illustrator and you're just providing JPGs for convenience.

If not, I'll turn them into PDFs that they should've been.

Those are what I saw, so that's what I grabbed. If someone else has a better copy lying around to spare you the work that'd be great; I only skimmed through the last thread.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Just a note OP, the like to The Stairwell is actually The Red Disk

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

The SC-168 "Sentient Calculator" one bothers me - the HP-28C uses RPN when performing functions - the '=' sign is used for equality in equation functions.

6÷3 would error when you press the division sign - on that calculator you would press 6, enter, 3, ÷.

I know it's stupid and pedantic, but it still bugs me. I think they picked that model because it has the alpha keyboard on it.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

synthetik posted:

The SC-168 "Sentient Calculator" one bothers me - the HP-28C uses RPN when performing functions - the '=' sign is used for equality in equation functions.

6÷3 would error when you press the division sign - on that calculator you would press 6, enter, 3, ÷.

I know it's stupid and pedantic, but it still bugs me. I think they picked that model because it has the alpha keyboard on it.

If it's sentient, then it should be able to deduce that "6 ÷ 3 =" is the same as "6 3 ÷", especially if it was originally used by a grade school student.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Reive posted:

Just a note OP, the like to The Stairwell is actually The Red Disk

Woops, must of forgot to copy the 087 link the first time. Thanks for pointing that out.

synthetik posted:

Yes, but maybe 168 doesn't know that. He has to think about these things, you know, and he might as well make it a bit easier on himself.

That reminded me of the best thing about 168. "Math you have to use your calculator for."

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Everything is bad.
Nothing is good.
I never work out

So does anyone have any good musical 'flavour enhancers' they use while reading the files? I've found quite a few of the tracks from the Myst videogames to be pretty good at upping the tension, since they capture a particular kind of creepy really well (the "lots of people died horrible deaths here and now you are thinking about it while remembering that you're all alone here if you're lucky" kind), especially the character themes from 1, 3, and 4.

Basically ambient mood music, but for the opposite of relaxing.

e/ Aaagg I forgot how effective it was, just finished reading the Hanged King and now I keep having to look behind me to see if anyone's there. For maximum effect, read in a 24 hour library or computer lab with all the lights off in the middle of the night; this is how I spent a good portion of my third year at university. I didn't sleep very much!

I posted:

Someday, I'd like to know what effect this has to corpses.

Much like the noodle incident, it'd probably ruin it if anyone tried to nail it down.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at Jan 9, 2012 around 22:07

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

^^

Not that I've used it for this specifically, but my standard "creepy ambient music" is the "Eternal Darkness" soundtrack, from the Gamecube game.

scalded schlong
Sep 20, 2003

Speaking of creepiness, I don't remember reading about The Foot Of The Bed my first time through the list. The Naked Doll is still pretty unpleasant, too.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

oh my goodness, tyrannosaurs in F-14s

Renaissance Robot posted:

So does anyone have any good musical 'flavour enhancers' they use while reading the files? I've found quite a few of the tracks from the Myst videogames to be pretty good at upping the tension, since they capture a particular kind of creepy really well (the "lots of people died horrible deaths here and now you are thinking about it while remembering that you're all alone here if you're lucky" kind), especially the character themes from 1, 3, and 4.

Basically ambient mood music, but for the opposite of relaxing.

e/ Aaagg I forgot how effective it was, just finished reading the Hanged King and now I keep having to look behind me to see if anyone's there. For maximum effect, read in a 24 hour library or computer lab with all the lights off in the middle of the night; this is how I spent a good portion of my third year at university. I didn't sleep very much!

Much like the noodle incident, it'd probably ruin it if anyone tried to nail it down.

Here are a few good albums that I like for that sort of thing (also really good in general): The f#a#(infinity) album by Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada by the same band, One Step More and You Die by Mono, Salt Marie Celeste by Nurse with Wound, Thunder Perfect Mind by Nurse with Wound, about half of the songs on The Four Trees by Caspian (Crawlspace in particular), The 28 Days Later soundtrack by John Murphy, some of Mogwai's songs (too many to sort through right now), maaaaybe Tool (seems like it could get cheesy).

If you're not a fan of eerie post-rock, search youtube for some recordings of numbers stations for some creepy audio

genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

FORUMS SENIOR CITIZEN Ask me about:
joining the AARP; Social Security; prostate exams; why rock music is too loud; wearing orthopedic shoes and prescription pant

For creepy, try this. It's a recording NASA made of Saturn's radio emissions. Quite a creepy sound. I play it on continuous loop every Halloween for my trick or treaters.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011
CARDIOVORAX BELIVES A POLICEMAN WHO GROPES A WOMAN SHOULD LOSE HIS JOB, AND DO A HUNDRED HOURS OF COMUNITY SERVICE UNDER THE PAIN OF GOING TO PRISON IF HE BREAKS HIS PAROLE

Ah, the beautiful music of the spheres.

Thanks for posting this. I like how well it suits Saturn's general theme.

genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

FORUMS SENIOR CITIZEN Ask me about:
joining the AARP; Social Security; prostate exams; why rock music is too loud; wearing orthopedic shoes and prescription pant

I've always wanted a copy of that painting for over the dining table...

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

JIMMY JIMS?!

SCP 342 is the best one. Something about it just gives me chills.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I wrote an SCP once! It's a corpse magnet. I'm working on another one and will post it this year.

Action Yak Police
Nov 9, 2008

Let's not dwell on our corpse-strewn past.
Let's celebrate our corpse-strewn future!

For some reason, SCP-993 creeped me right the hell out. I read it in the middle of the night and I didn't want to go to bed because I knew I would have hosed-up nightmares about it. Eventually, though, I realized that I could replace that goddamn clown with Dr. Rockso in my head, which made it hilarious.

It's actually a pretty neat trick. If one of these SCPs freaks you out too much, try replacing it in your head with something non-threatening. A titanium sphere that turns people inside-out? Now it's a sphere made out of chocolate that shoots rainbows! Are you creeped out by that giant hell-pinata, SCP-173?

Problem solved!

In fact, the face paint on that thing looks vaguely familiar to me...

Edit:

Shnakepup posted:

Hah. The Incident Log 555-1 was pretty cool, especially with the corpse-sphere becoming so dense that the inner part of it was as dense as iron and boiling hot from the pressure. I was also amused by how they had to "heroically" keep the Class D alive, which as I understand is a bit of a departure for SCP.
Really, they only kept him alive to keep the thing from going 'critical'. At the end they dumped him in the acid bath with the rest of it.
The life expectancy of a Class D around there must be about 5 minutes.

I was up all night re-reading some of these, and I've still barely scratched the surface. My favorite has to be SCP-610, The Flesh That Hates. I love weird monsters more than anything, and this site is the motherload!

Action Yak Police fucked around with this message at Jan 10, 2012 around 14:27

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

atomicthumbs posted:

I wrote an SCP once! It's a corpse magnet. I'm working on another one and will post it this year.

Hah. The Incident Log 555-1 was pretty cool, especially with the corpse-sphere becoming so dense that the inner part of it was as dense as iron and boiling hot from the pressure. I was also amused by how they had to "heroically" keep the Class D alive, which as I understand is a bit of a departure for SCP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

SCP-1045 is pretty good, I think. Read it all the way to the end.

«192 »