Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«192 »
Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I tend to keep to the SCP articles to do with places or exploration. Machines are good too. When there's a humanoid tag in there it dramatically increases the possibility that the article is garbage imo, though I'm sure there are exceptions I can only read so many articles and I'd like them to be good.

There's one really bad one that I ran into when I found the site from the last thread, where a facility was built in some remote location where a woman was imprisoned and she had to be raped every day by D-classes with criminal records for sexual assault and the story ended with some note about how it was all for the sake of saving the world or some poo poo. It was loving awful, and after reading that I pretty much stopped reading the site for a while. It went into a lot of detail on the setup of the facility to the point where it felt like I was reading someone's carefully orchestrated perpetual surprise sex room.

Yeah, I remember seeing that one awhile ago. I was pretty much the entire time, thinking "why the gently caress would someone write this".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Shnakepup posted:

Also: is there an SCP entry for a device or something that extradimensionally "flips" a person, so that from an outsider perspective they seem to have switch handedness (i.e. they were right-handed but after being flipped are now left handed), but from their perspective the whole world has been flipped around them? I've had that particular idea stuck in my head for a while, and I can't remember if it's an SCP entry I read or something I read somewhere else...

It's SCP-739.

Also, Mr. Pumroy, if you're talking about the infamous Montauk procedure, the official line is that it isn't surprise sex. It's worse. The Foundation possibly had to invent, completely from scratch, something worse than surprise sex.

whitey delenda est
Sep 14, 2008

Oh pirates yes they rob I
Sold I to the merchant ships

Is there a cross-referenced index of like a cast of recurring characters somewhere? I hear the name Kondraki, Clef, etc. over and over again but I can never remember (after reading hundreds of these, some great and some terrible) who is who and what sort of significance each dude has.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

The characters are actually gimmicks for the guys who write the stories.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

BiggerJ posted:

It's SCP-739.

Thanks! But as I was reading it, I was getting an "aw gently caress" feeling because it also uses a "mirror monster"-type idea I've always had bouncing around in the back of my head (i.e. between two mirrors, where you can see your own reflection repeated ad infinitum, you see a monster in the "distance", coming through the mirrors towards you). Oh well, guess I'm not all that original

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Stew Man Chew posted:

Is there a cross-referenced index of like a cast of recurring characters somewhere? I hear the name Kondraki, Clef, etc. over and over again but I can never remember (after reading hundreds of these, some great and some terrible) who is who and what sort of significance each dude has.

I've wondered that, because on occasion it'll seem like some referenced character is meant to be from other SCP entries. I think I read some entry that had a doctor who was somehow "cycling" through bodies, possessing them. I guess what it was was that he was a common name people would stick in their entries as a casualty of an SCP, as a gag, and eventually someone came up with the idea that it was literally the same doctor, just with his mind possessing a new body after each death (presumably via the use of some other SCP that would allow this).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011
Penetrative action is a pretty central fact of male sexuality. Young boys unconsciously imitate the movements in their sleep without ever having seen them or knowing what they mean.

Super.Jesus posted:

There's still quite alot of bullshit about superpowered researchers, but hey, it's fanfiction. I might start a Doctor Normal or something, who barely escapes from the tests and spends week in the hospital after having his arm broken.
The named researchers all suck balls. One is a robot, the other is a medallion that possesses people, the next gets his head replaces with random nonsense if he gets photographed and might secretly be Satan... It's all awful. It'd do the whole thing a favour if they just got rid of them and acted like they never existed. Instead do more stuff like Dr. Solomon, a researcher who got killed offscreen but gets repeated mentions because the Hair Monster bonded to her as a caretaker somehow.

[edit]: They're actually self-inserts of site staff. That's why you keep stumbling about the retards absolutely EVERYWHERE.

whitey delenda est
Sep 14, 2008

Oh pirates yes they rob I
Sold I to the merchant ships

I mean, there's continuity between SCPs in terms of referring to things that happened to dudes. Certain docs come up often enough. But it'll be like... some guy just happened to read about Dr. X in SCP-### and wrote a new SCP referencing it obscurely. I can't keep track!

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I tend to keep to the SCP articles to do with places or exploration. Machines are good too. When there's a humanoid tag in there it dramatically increases the possibility that the article is garbage imo, though I'm sure there are exceptions I can only read so many articles and I'd like them to be good.

There's one really bad one that I ran into when I found the site from the last thread, where a facility was built in some remote location where a woman was imprisoned and she had to be raped every day by D-classes with criminal records for sexual assault and the story ended with some note about how it was all for the sake of saving the world or some poo poo. It was loving awful, and after reading that I pretty much stopped reading the site for a while. It went into a lot of detail on the setup of the facility to the point where it felt like I was reading someone's carefully orchestrated perpetual surprise sex room.

Operation 110-Montauk. The single best explanation I ever heard for Montauk went something like this:

"There isn't a girl, there is no demon, no surprise sex, beatings, there's nothing. She never existed. The entire thing is a test for researchers, to make them realize that yeah, we do have to do some really bad poo poo. We kill people. We feed prisoners to giant balls of flesh. We make mothers put their babies in a golden statue and make them listen to the screams as it burns. We infect people with bees that make them into a living hive. The people that can't take that kind of stuff? They read Montauk, sprint down the hallways, slam the containment doors open, and a very bored man with a gun finally gets to shoot someone."

Of course, Montauk started out as REALLY REALLY HORRIBLE surprise sex AND BEATINGS ALL THE TIME LOOK HOW HORRIBLE WE ARE BOOGA BOOGA but I personally like the "Bored man with a gun" explanation.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

saberwulf posted:

Of course, Montauk started out as REALLY REALLY HORRIBLE surprise sex AND BEATINGS ALL THE TIME LOOK HOW HORRIBLE WE ARE BOOGA BOOGA but I personally like the "Bored man with a gun" explanation.

Hah. That's the cool thing about SCP, from what I gather, is that people are free to come up with actually decent "canon" explanation for the horrible writing that crops up from time to time.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Shnakepup posted:

Hah. That's the cool thing about SCP, from what I gather, is that people are free to come up with actually decent "canon" explanation for the horrible writing that crops up from time to time.

It's a wiki for a reason. You do have to ask if you want to make a big edit to something, though.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

Our future is at stake.

About the wacky / crazy researchers (please note, I'm going off my memory of a 'Site History' thread):

Originally, people were able to make whatever sort of 'character' they wanted. Then some writer decided to go whole-hog about it, and the rest of the higher-ups at the wiki realized that letting everyone be Practically-An-SCP-On-Their-Own was making people think that was okay. From then on, most 'characters' had to be a lot more mundane. The higher-ups were grandfathered in.

Character-Clef's gimmick of potentially being Satan was done by Writer-Clef on the fly during a decommissioning. He didn't think anything of it, but before he knew it, a ton of stories / fluff was written under the implication that Clef Was Satan. If I remember right, Writer-Clef considers it a bit of a Shame He'll Never Live Down. I can't remember the precise line, but it was something like "We don't want our SCPs to be Mary Sues, but our stories about how we kill Mary Sue SCPs made Mary Sue Researchers".

Personally, I wouldn't mind if every 'character' got the Unique Nerf Bat, with the exception of Bright. He's not overly powerful or anything, he's a guy that was doing an experiment on an SCP, it put his personality into it, and now Bright can never die because once someone puts the SCP on their neck, he's alive again.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at Jan 11, 2012 around 06:05

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

How you guys missed SCP-69-J, Sisters of Cheyenne Point is beyond me.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Personally, I wouldn't mind if every 'character' got the Unique Nerf Bat, with the exception of Bright. He's not overly powerful or anything, he's a guy that was doing an experiment on an SCP, it put his personality into it, and now Bright can never die because once someone puts the SCP on their neck, he's alive again.

There's a lovely-ly written story by somebody of Bright telling another doctor of what it's like living forever, and while it could have been executed a lot better, I did like the chance that if Bright somehow ends up the last living thing on Earth, eventually the Sun will go supernova, send the amulet careening through space, and in a quadrillion years crash down on a planet and get worn by another humanoid. To Bright, he'll slowly go cold, die for a few seconds, and then suddenly find himself staring at two suns. Add to that what happened when the desire camera snapped a picture of him and Bright isn't some super-saiyan mega-doctor. He's a docotr who hosed up on his first day in the 50's, and now gets the wonderful experience of painfully dying over and over and over again for infinity.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The only retaliation is to weaponise faces.

SCP-507, the very average guy who teleports to a random alternate universe every two weeks, is a joy to read. It switches between being funny and creepy, without being completely silly.

About the researchers, I prefer if they keep characters like Clef as vague as possible. Didn't somebody wrote a story where he keeps telling people different things if they ask about his background? Dr Bright seems to be handled pretty well, because his immortality isn't of the pleasant variety.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

The MSJ posted:

SCP-507, the very average guy who teleports to a random alternate universe every two weeks, is a joy to read. It switches between being funny and creepy, without being completely silly.

507 is one of the best done humanoids. He's kind of fat, completely unremarkable, and just randomly jumps dimensions without his own input. He's a nerd who has a weird power and thinks it's a pretty okay life to hang around a crazy facility, surf the internet all the time, and gets to go to alternate dimensions every once in a while. Even if it sometimes entails screaming plants or being experimented on by giant creatures. The "Smiling Man" is one of the best one-off characters, too.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Does anybody remember the Rage Inducing Humanoid? I read that one years ago when I first found the site, but it's gone now. It featured a harmless, featureless humanoid which caused people to become enraged and attack it for no discernible reason. I felt bad for the poor guy.

Do they delete SCPs or do the authors remove them?

Also wanted to express my love for the Critical Tomatoes. It's ridiculous but the author goes into so much detail that it comes out almost serious.

My favorite SCPs are the ones that best replicate the cold, precise language of a clinical study while describing the most horrible things, like The Cannibal's Banquet.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

I take back my previous recommendations, this is my favourite SCP:

SCP-387 - Living Lego

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011
Penetrative action is a pretty central fact of male sexuality. Young boys unconsciously imitate the movements in their sleep without ever having seen them or knowing what they mean.

In It For The Tank posted:

SCP-387 - Living Lego
I like that little bit at the bottom the most. Screw Megablocks.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

The MSJ posted:

About the researchers, I prefer if they keep characters like Clef as vague as possible. Didn't somebody wrote a story where he keeps telling people different things if they ask about his background? Dr Bright seems to be handled pretty well, because his immortality isn't of the pleasant variety.

507 is one of my favorites. The part where he ends up in the world where the sun suddenly is a giant eyeball made me shiver.

Another great SCP-related piece, is the one where a spaceship visits what once was Earth. I don't remember that the story tells what happens, but it's implied that SCP-682 goi into contact with the Ball of Slime and everything went to hell.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?

http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-series#001

What I like most about this list is that it reads somewhat like the item descriptions Olimar picks up in Pikmin 2.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

I believe... this are truly something awful.

SCP-387 - Living Lego

This is absolutely hilarious. The ending is gold.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?

Two more great oft-discussed ones from the previous thread:

SCP-354 The Red Pool - A pool of blood red liquid that may be a portal to some other world.

SCP-432 Cabinet Maze - Metal cabinet with a House of Leaves-esque maze of indeterminate size inside.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Everything is bad.
Nothing is good.
I never work out

SCP-1012 footnote 1 posted:

Under normal conditions, Frequencies B' and D' are each substantially higher than the upper frequency limit for mammalian hearing and are therefore inaudible to humans, as well as other animals with a greater range of hearing such as dogs. However, it has been reported that some humans exposed to strong broadcasts of Frequency D' experience tinnitus. Under certain atmospheric and geological conditions (such as those prevailing in Taos, New Mexico and Bristol, UK), the broadcast of Frequencies B' or D' may be audible. Additionally, certain models of fluorescent lighting tubes and cathode ray tube televisions emit audible tones in sympathetic resonance with Frequency B' or D'.

for the Bristol Whistle. This is awesome and more entries need to make use of this kind of shared experience. Really great way to get some new local legends/I-heard-it-from-a-guy urban myths going (because almost all existing campfire stories are crap).

sweetroy
May 23, 2011

if you don't give a damn
we don't give a fuck

SCP-387 - Living Lego

Wow, that single line at the end completely undid the creepy effects of every other SCP I've read tonight.

Jesus loving Christ. - Dr. Arch

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SCP-387 - Living Lego
In a similar vein:
SCP-705 - Militaristic Play-Doh

Wahad
May 19, 2011

And when they shun their humanity, we welcome them here.

Does anyone remember the number of the SCP with the exploration log where the team ends up in a different universe, where they begin in some kind of corporate building only to later find out that it's in some kind of dystopian city (that may or may not have been a ghost-town, I don't remember) with the 'outside' having succumbed to either disease or overrun by feral creatures? I seem to recall some vaguely religious tone to the dystopian propaganda but I'm not sure.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I'm-a gonna rip off-a your head and shit down-a your neck!

Wahad posted:

Does anyone remember the number of the SCP with the exploration log where the team ends up in a different universe, where they begin in some kind of corporate building only to later find out that it's in some kind of dystopian city (that may or may not have been a ghost-town, I don't remember) with the 'outside' having succumbed to either disease or overrun by feral creatures? I seem to recall some vaguely religious tone to the dystopian propaganda but I'm not sure.

This is the one where they go through mirrors using coloured stones, the actual SCP is the stones they use, I believe.

Kitfox88
Aug 20, 2007

Now you fucked up! You have fucked up now!

Wahad posted:

That'd be 93. The SCPs with enormous piles of logs are the best, either because they're interesting and hilarious, like the gears or vending machine, or creepy and unnerving like this one or the red pool.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

And when they shun their humanity, we welcome them here.

That's the one! Thanks. It's definitely one of my favorites.

Wahad fucked around with this message at Jan 11, 2012 around 14:10

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

About the wacky / crazy researchers (please note, I'm going off my memory of a 'Site History' thread):

Originally, people were able to make whatever sort of 'character' they wanted. Then some writer decided to go whole-hog about it, and the rest of the higher-ups at the wiki realized that letting everyone be Practically-An-SCP-On-Their-Own was making people think that was okay. From then on, most 'characters' had to be a lot more mundane. The higher-ups were grandfathered in.

Character-Clef's gimmick of potentially being Satan was done by Writer-Clef on the fly during a decommissioning. He didn't think anything of it, but before he knew it, a ton of stories / fluff was written under the implication that Clef Was Satan. If I remember right, Writer-Clef considers it a bit of a Shame He'll Never Live Down. I can't remember the precise line, but it was something like "We don't want our SCPs to be Mary Sues, but our stories about how we kill Mary Sue SCPs made Mary Sue Researchers".

This is the only canon researcher superpower and everyone knows it
Although they should cut the caption on the second picture to just "Dr. Gerald was told to take an ordinary school bus full of D-class to a nearby site" to make it funnier/not explain the joke.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-579

This is the first SCP that I've come across that doesn't even have a description. The entire thing is [EXPUNGED]. All that the entry is is a collection of extreme containment measures. Seems like whoever wrote it was going for a mysterious, distubring vibe, but it's so vague that I'm just left wondering what the gently caress's the point...

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Super.Jesus posted:

The characters are actually gimmicks for the guys who write the stories.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates these. I have no problem if guys want to have their own researcher who is reoccurring. In fact, having a few names that pop up more than once really helps in the realism department. It helps tie things together.

Except that seemingly none of them know how to make a researcher/agent who isn't a special badass. I mean, just make your guy a regular guy who has to put up with this kind of stuff, that's so much more interesting than unrealistic badass #23.

On a separate note, I was reading one of the new SCPs earlier and was quite pleased to see that they decided NOT to kill some random D class guy.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The only retaliation is to weaponise faces.

Shnakepup posted:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-579

This is the first SCP that I've come across that doesn't even have a description. The entire thing is [EXPUNGED]. All that the entry is is a collection of extreme containment measures. Seems like whoever wrote it was going for a mysterious, disturbing vibe, but it's so vague that I'm just left wondering what the gently caress's the point...

Is this one of those things that's dangerous just by knowing it? The codename for the actions to deal with it is "Israfil", the angel that will signal the end the universe, so I guess it has apocalyptic potential.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at Jan 11, 2012 around 15:43

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

Redacting loving everything does get old, but the multiuse green slime that's actually pretty swell but shouldn't come into contact with dead bodies is awesome.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

SCP-407 is probably my favorite beside 507. I especially love the way SCP loses it, makes for some very interesting plot hooks.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Ahem, I think you're all forgetting something.

SUPER BESTEST LIZERD EVER
http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-682-j

BY SITE DIRECTOR JAMES, AGE 8

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012
I AM A SELFISH, RETARDED DIPSHIT WHO WANTS TO TAKE HIS OWN LIFE. YOU SHOULD ENCOURAGE ME TO DO SO AT THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

This one article takes a lot of flak for supposedly being the author's secret surprise sex fantasy or whatever.

I can understand where the idea of that comes from, but the reality is that it was just supposed to be a different type of creepy while also acting as an exercise of showing how the reader can use their imaginations with the [REDACTED] tags despite nothing explicitly stated (while still being heavily implied). Some people are weirded out by ghosts, others by monsters and inexplicable artifacts that alter reality, while others still are repelled by the thought of traumatizing situations or being violated. The fact that so many people hate SCP-231 is just proof that it works. surprise sex is creepy, and this article takes that fact and places it in a cold, sterile environment.

saberwulf posted:

Operation 110-Montauk. The single best explanation I ever heard for Montauk went something like this:

"There isn't a girl, there is no demon, no surprise sex, beatings, there's nothing. She never existed. The entire thing is a test for researchers, to make them realize that yeah, we do have to do some really bad poo poo. We kill people. We feed prisoners to giant balls of flesh. We make mothers put their babies in a golden statue and make them listen to the screams as it burns. We infect people with bees that make them into a living hive. The people that can't take that kind of stuff? They read Montauk, sprint down the hallways, slam the containment doors open, and a very bored man with a gun finally gets to shoot someone."

I really, really like this explanation, too. The guy who wrote it basically left the thing open for interpretation. The best SCPs work that way, in my opinion.

Despite this, I think the idea was to drive home the point that the Foundation does terrible, terrible things on a regular basis. I don't remember the specifics, but I recall Clef (the guy who wrote it) giving a basic rundown of his thought processes behind making it up. He basically said that there were a number of goofier SCPs being made and he wanted to go back and remind everyone that, regardless how many things like talking calculators and minty-fresh zombie balls there are, the Foundation's core purpose is to uphold normalcy in the world and protect the universe no matter what.

My interpretation of it is that there are tons of weird, terrible things going on worldwide within the walls of the various Foundation Sites, and it can always get weirder and/or worse. Sure, they're feeding people monsters that bleed acid. Those people are established as being convicted felons who've done terrible things themselves, though. Sometimes an agent or researcher dies, but... well, poo poo happens in the line of duty. This article basically says that they're willing to traumatize a child on a daily basis without her ever knowing what's going on, simply because they don't know what happens if they don't. It could be a world-ending scenario, but they just don't know and are afraid to find out. They will stoop to any low necessary for the greater good, even if they don't know whether it's necessary or not, and the person doing it could be you. That's what I find scary about the article.

So, yeah, the article could be a test or a cover-up for something more lighthearted. But, at the end of the day, anyone with clearance to read the article would go "We're doing that? Well, okay then" and then write up a report about what ka-razy thing came out of the Magic Vending Machine today.

genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

FORUMS SENIOR CITIZEN Ask me about:
joining the AARP; Social Security; prostate exams; why rock music is too loud; wearing orthopedic shoes and prescription pant

The one thing that bugs me and nobody have ever satisfactorily explained is why all the D-class individuals have to be killed every month. It makes sense for this shadow organization to kill the ones who may have been affected by an SCP in some way, but to just routinely snuff them all seems a bit like overkill.

From a purely logistical point, if there is an average of only 1 D-class per SCP, that's about 1,000 D-classes. That's 12,000 people per year. Granted, for the Foundation that might not be a big disposal problem, but acquiring that many people could be a problem.

Unless they have a duplicator or can do something like they did in John Varley's "Snatch Squad".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Everything is bad.
Nothing is good.
I never work out

e/ ^^ Bear in mind that most SCPs don't require a continuous stream of bodies; they eat maybe half a dozen on average, then testing comes to a halt for whatever reason, generally a lack of further progress, and the thing goes into storage. Add that to the fact that the foundation has been around for at least 100 years, and the death toll doesn't seem so high. I think the ones that get through more than twenty just tend to stick in peoples' heads.

Unless there's a document somewhere stating that they always have X D-class personnel on each site at all times, all of whom are killed at the end of the month, which honestly wouldn't surprise me considering the level of sadism evident in some of the early entries. You could easily tweak that though to "all D-class involved in testing to be terminated at the end of the month" which combined with the implication in many entries that surviving D's are cycled through multiple SCPs would also bring down the total body count.

Rough Lobster posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates these. I have no problem if guys want to have their own researcher who is reoccurring. In fact, having a few names that pop up more than once really helps in the realism department. It helps tie things together.

Except that seemingly none of them know how to make a researcher/agent who isn't a special badass. I mean, just make your guy a regular guy who has to put up with this kind of stuff, that's so much more interesting than unrealistic badass #23.

On a separate note, I was reading one of the new SCPs earlier and was quite pleased to see that they decided NOT to kill some random D class guy.

Dr. Rights seems pretty reasonable, unless you count being somewhat matronly as a superpower.

And the new series seems to be a much higher average quality, it's honestly surprising. Maybe people are just getting into the groove of what makes a good entry?

saberwulf posted:

Ahem, I think you're all forgetting something.

SUPER BESTEST LIZERD EVER
http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-682-j

BY SITE DIRECTOR JAMES, AGE 8

D'aawww

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at Jan 11, 2012 around 19:28

«192 »