Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«192 »
Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

This is basically perfect material for a low budget webseries. It's easily filmable in the back end of an industrial-looking building with minimal props and special effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

A bit of a long shot, but does anyone know of any way I could download the archive? I know its constantly being updated so it defeats the purpose somewhat but I have a long flight coming up and a Big Book of SCP would be awesome to just read through on the old Kindle.

Action Yak Police
Nov 9, 2008

Let's not dwell on our corpse-strewn past.
Let's celebrate our corpse-strewn future!

genesplicer posted:

The one thing that bugs me and nobody have ever satisfactorily explained is why all the D-class individuals have to be killed every month. It makes sense for this shadow organization to kill the ones who may have been affected by an SCP in some way, but to just routinely snuff them all seems a bit like overkill.

From a purely logistical point, if there is an average of only 1 D-class per SCP, that's about 1,000 D-classes. That's 12,000 people per year. Granted, for the Foundation that might not be a big disposal problem, but acquiring that many people could be a problem.

Unless they have a duplicator or can do something like they did in John Varley's "Snatch Squad".
Seriously. It's almost like it's some kind of rule when writing one of these that any class-D's that are mentioned must die by the end of the article no matter what.

Everybody, if you want to write a good article, I'd say don't have them kill any class-D's unless it's completely unavoidable. Even if they see something they shouldn't, you can just have them use amnesiacs on the subject (they do this in several entries). At the very least, maybe some other writers on the site will see that it can be done without detracting from the article.

VV I feel stupid for not realizing that. VV

Action Yak Police fucked around with this message at Jan 11, 2012 around 20:43

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011
CARDIOVORAX BELIVES A POLICEMAN WHO GROPES A WOMAN SHOULD LOSE HIS JOB, AND DO A HUNDRED HOURS OF COMUNITY SERVICE UNDER THE PAIN OF GOING TO PRISON IF HE BREAKS HIS PAROLE

The idea of having Class Ds is basically that the work is hideously dangerous and completely unpredictable. Attrition is enormous, because anything the Foundation stumbles across might to anything from coloring clouds green to melting holes through your bones. A lot of them need to be worked on by people, though, or only work ON people. So you get the expendable Class Ds, who are actively recruited from the worst scum the world has to offer, for use in situations where injury and death are a substantial risk and you can't afford to lose anyone competent or want to send in anybody innocent.

I always figured the end-of-month termination thing was just to make sure that any hidden long-term contaminations never get a chance to spread. It's the sort of hyper-careful security measure that you would take when you work with stuff that basically can do anything at any time.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

for faith

I like SCP 205, it's creepy, though the photograph is the worst part.

The Hanged King's Tragedy, 701, is my favourite though. Glad to see this thread back

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

genesplicer posted:

Unless they have a duplicator or can do something like they did in John Varley's "Snatch Squad".

Well, this is what I always thought.

HogX
Aug 16, 2008

Iacen posted:

507 is one of my favorites. The part where he ends up in the world where the sun suddenly is a giant eyeball made me shiver.

Another great SCP-related piece, is the one where a spaceship visits what once was Earth. I don't remember that the story tells what happens, but it's implied that SCP-682 goi into contact with the Ball of Slime and everything went to hell.

Reading through 507's trips now, they're great. I liked the screaming plants one, because of his request after the second trip. "Request: A hug. Approved."

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!

I must admit that almost the entire site enthralls me, particular those SCP that involve uncontrollable events that must be delicately prevented or confronted constantly to abate horrific effects. SCP-453 is a good example of this, as is the Hanged King's Tragedy (mentioned above) and the one with the airplane with the door that bursts open in midair. I love the sense of creeping dread you get reading through dozens of "serious" SCPs.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at Jan 11, 2012 around 20:48

Edged Hymn
Feb 4, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PierreTheMime posted:

I must admit that almost the entire site enthralls me, particular those SCP that involve uncontrollable events that must be delicated prevented or confronted constantly to abate horrific effects. SCP-453 is a good example of this, as is the Hanged King's Tragedy (mentioned above) and the one with the airplane with the door that bursts open in midair. I love the sense of creeping dread you get reading through dozens of "serious" SCPs.

I love how SCP-453 is actually the site of an eternal nightly party that would become a makeshift street party if the club got torn down. Cool stuff.

genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

FORUMS SENIOR CITIZEN Ask me about:
joining the AARP; Social Security; prostate exams; why rock music is too loud; wearing orthopedic shoes and prescription pant

Action Yak Police posted:

Seriously. It's almost like it's some kind of rule when writing one of these that any class-D's that are mentioned must die by the end of the article no matter what.

Everybody, if you want to write a good article, I'd say don't have them kill any class-D's unless it's completely unavoidable. Even if they see something they shouldn't, you can just have them use amnesiacs on the subject (they do this in several entries). At the very least, maybe some other writers on the site will see that it can be done without detracting from the article.

One of the entries that I wrote and that got deleted featured a D-class individual who did the wrong thing and was horribly traumatized as a result. The person in charge gave him an amnesiac then sent him back in to clean up the mess, unaware it was of his own doing.

One of the people who downvoted it said that they would never give amnesiacs to the D-classes, just kill them and get a replacement. I thought it was creepier that he went back in, and even with amnesiacs he realized something was amiss.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

eating only apples posted:

I like SCP 205, it's creepy, though the photograph is the worst part.

The Hanged King's Tragedy, 701, is my favourite though. Glad to see this thread back

I remember reading through that one at school, and that page was one of the few where the image actually loaded.

"Okay, so this is kind of like the observable time loop...
*scrolls down*
Oh holy poo poo "

The image at the end of the article, rather than the top, makes the article much, much more effective.

(apologies for the lovely cellphone pic)

This sure explains why there are so many containment breaches. Storing potentially world-ending things in a plastic box isn't as effective as previously thought.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

I'm not sure how many people have seen it, but if you like SCPs I'd strongly recommend watching the miniseries The Lost Room. It's essentially a drama revolving around mysterious supernatural objects in the world and how some people manage to interact with them. Super-entertaining and has equal parts adventure and foreboding.

Edit:
SCP-616 is the other event-based SCP I was thinking of. Mystery and dread--that's what I love about this site. That and the occasional laugh.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Wahad posted:

Does anyone remember the number of the SCP with the exploration log where the team ends up in a different universe, where they begin in some kind of corporate building only to later find out that it's in some kind of dystopian city (that may or may not have been a ghost-town, I don't remember) with the 'outside' having succumbed to either disease or overrun by feral creatures? I seem to recall some vaguely religious tone to the dystopian propaganda but I'm not sure.

I was just going to ask about this one, probably the first story I read and still one of my favorites. Really well written and constructed.

Also I can't stand when I read an experimentation log that has named doctors. Part of the allure of these stories is that all personal are expendable and having some named researcher who you know can't die (because they are supernatural or some other poorly thought out insipid explanation) really detracts from the over all tone and mystique of it all.

edit: To expand on this; I just read http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-178 posted earlier in the thread and in one of the logs all of the observing research staff are mercilessly killed. I find it hard to believe this story could be enhanced by instead of dying having some pink haired pederast researcher bludgeon the monsters to death with his 12 foot sword, ugh

Someguy fucked around with this message at Jan 11, 2012 around 22:24

DudeOnCrack
Jul 21, 2003

Renaissance Robot posted:

And the new series seems to be a much higher average quality, it's honestly surprising. Maybe people are just getting into the groove of what makes a good entry?

One of the scp-001 proposals is a fairly entertaining in universe recognition of the increase in quality.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

for faith

PierreTheMime posted:

SCP-453 is a good example of this

This is really great, gave me serious chills, thanks!

I don't mind the named researchers for the most part. Bright is the least offensive for me because his story is pretty cool and interesting. I like the guy with the apple seeds as well, can't remember his name but that running gag is always funny.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

I like SCP but after going through the top rated articles it become a crapshoot. These threads are great for that though, the reposting of everyone's favorite articles means I don't have to dig through a bunch of junk.

I also get annoyed by the named researchers as well but most of the time it's pretty easy to ignore them. The only one that really bugs me is the guy who is a reality bender who specializes in hunting other reality benders. It's like Dexter but terrible and masturbatory.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

DudeOnCrack posted:

One of the scp-001 proposals is a fairly entertaining in universe recognition of the increase in quality.

Containment Log 001-Alpha posted:

Date: 03/31/19██

Incident: Script with possibly compromising information optioned for production by ██████ ████. Pictures. Original scriptwriter [REDACTED] agents successfully replace script with one re-written without [REDACTED]. Film is produced with title ███ ██████ and grosses $27 million its opening weekend.

Anyone know what movie this is referencing?

Containment Log 001-Alpha posted:

Date: 06/19/19██

Incident: Novel outline describing [REDACTED] submitted to [REDACTED] by best-selling author █████ ████. Attempt to neutralize author unsuccessful, leading to high profile hospitalization...

Pretty sure this is supposed to be Stephen King, referencing the time he got hit by that van.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

I just signed up and am currently writing up several anomalous object reports in Word. Wish me luck.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Shnakepup posted:

Anyone know what movie this is referencing?
It's The Matrix. Title size matches, production company (Warner Bros.) matches, opening weekend take matches and most importantly release date is 03/31/1999.

Edit: And by looking at dates on old articles about, it appears that you are also right about Stephen King.

Wee Tinkle Wand
Sep 28, 2004

I'M GETTING FUCKED UP THE ASS OVER HERE

Super.Jesus posted:

I just signed up and am currently writing up several anomalous object reports in Word. Wish me luck.

Unless things have changed then expect everything you try to submit to be downvoted harshly just because you are new. Unless you happen to be the greatest writer of all time, then you have a 50/50 shot.

Great site but trying to "break in" to it is sure... a process. Probably one of the reasons why it tends to be good.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

genesplicer posted:

One of the people who downvoted it said that they would never give amnesiacs to the D-classes, just kill them and get a replacement.

Admittedly, this cavalier attitude towards the Class D's has often bugged me too; even if we accept that they're "filthy criminals", that doesn't mean we should forget that they're still people. The articles are simply more effective when we recognize that these things are happening to real individuals, not just throw away automatons.

Not to mention that, although perhaps it's been changed, I think Class D staff are supposed to be "recruited" from Death Row inmates and the like, people who are guaranteed to die regardless, but who are being given the option to accept a meanial and exceedingly dangerous job, in which they will very likely die, but in which they still have a chance to live, something they wouldn't have if they turned down the offer. Just killing them off at the end of the month rather defeats that entire gimmick; why would they have accepted the offer then? For the chance to spend their last month in misery and danger, rather than hanging out in a cell and eating a Last Meal?

Theglavwen fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2012 around 07:21

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011

My biggest concern is writing something that hasn't been done. 1XXX is a lot of articles and I can't be arsed to read EVERYTHING.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Super.Jesus posted:

My biggest concern is writing something that hasn't been done. 1XXX is a lot of articles and I can't be arsed to read EVERYTHING.

If you float ideas here first it's likely we'll be able to tell you pretty quickly.

I've read all of them. Many of them multiple times.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

Theglavwen posted:

Not to mention that, although perhaps it's been changed, I think Class D staff are supposed to be "recruited" from Death Row inmates and the like,

Yeah, they're pretty much all Death Row people. However, there is an exception.

I can't remember where it's mentioned, but there's actually a certain protocol the Foundation can initiate under certain circumstances that allows them to abduct regular citizens and classify them as D-class. I've only seen it actually (possibly) happen in one article, where they made a guy dump his hands in sulphiric acid while wearing these SCP gloves that transferred all the feeling and mutilation to whoever the wearer was focused on. In his case, it was a woman and child behind a window.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Theglavwen posted:

Admittedly, this cavalier attitude towards the Class D's has often bugged me too;

There's actually a great tale added recently where the original D class were rebellious slaves "suffering" from "Drapetomania". There's even a section where it talks of how the move to prisoners didn't change the makeup that much since blacks make up such an overrepresentative proportion of the prison population.

I thought it was a nice jab at society's way of determining "expendable" people.

sweetroy
May 23, 2011

if you don't give a damn
we don't give a fuck

That was the first time I've seen SCP-453, and it was pretty excellent, are there any other good Event based SCP's?

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

foobardog posted:

There's actually a great tale added recently where the original D class were rebellious slaves "suffering" from "Drapetomania". There's even a section where it talks of how the move to prisoners didn't change the makeup that much since blacks make up such an overrepresentative proportion of the prison population.

I thought it was a nice jab at society's way of determining "expendable" people.
Boy, Samuel Cartwright was a complete rear end in a top hat!

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012
I AM A SELFISH, RETARDED DIPSHIT WHO WANTS TO TAKE HIS OWN LIFE. YOU SHOULD ENCOURAGE ME TO DO SO AT THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY.

saberwulf posted:

Yeah, they're pretty much all Death Row people. However, there is an exception.

I can't remember where it's mentioned, but there's actually a certain protocol the Foundation can initiate under certain circumstances that allows them to abduct regular citizens and classify them as D-class. I've only seen it actually (possibly) happen in one article, where they made a guy dump his hands in sulphiric acid while wearing these SCP gloves that transferred all the feeling and mutilation to whoever the wearer was focused on. In his case, it was a woman and child behind a window.

It's right in the site's Guides section:

SCP Foundation posted:

Class D personnel are designated staff used to handle the Keter-level objects. Warning: Class D personnel are not permitted interaction with class D personnel assigned to a different object or SCP personnel. Class D personnel are recruited from prison inmates. Condemned persons are preferred; in times of duress, Protocol 12 can be authorized, allowing recruitment of innocents or persons incarcerated for lesser crimes. All Class D personnel are to be terminated at the first of the month, and a new staff must be ready to replace them. After placement in quarters, staff must only contact Class D personnel through intercom system. All Class D personnel are to be given a minimum of one (1) polygraph tests at 1800 on a daily basis. Failure to comply will result in termination. Failure to pass test will result in termination. In event of any abnormalities, termination of entire Class D personnel is advised, as well as any SCP personnel that have had basic interaction with them.

(But, then again, when isn't the Foundation experiencing times of duress?)

You've also got the bit about them being terminated after a month's time in there, too. I suppose you could interpret "termination" as meaning having their identities wiped via use of amnesiacs or whatever, though. In any case, the section I quoted seems to be internally inconsistent (no physical interaction, yet able to perform daily polygraph tests?) and doesn't really jibe with how most of the articles are written.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are a few SCPs that can clone or otherwise grow replacements for existing D-class folk, not to mention the fact that the Foundation is worldwide and can grab political dissidents from Chinese prisons or whatever. Not hard to find recruits in that atmosphere.

Not really related to what I was just saying, but in regards to the higher quality of the new stuff:

The folks who are posting are still churning out garbage, but they're making much, much less of it and have become fairly talented at weeding out the chaff. The "Lowest Rated" page has at least two really recent articles waiting to be culled (one just being a pointless repeat), and one that was new a week ago (about snakes/lizards that look like giant penises, no less) seems to have been deleted already. The garbage is still there, it just seems to me that it doesn't last very long. Not that I'm complaining or anything.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

how i wonder what you are

ReverendLondo posted:

I can understand where the idea of that comes from, but the reality is that it was just supposed to be a different type of creepy while also acting as an exercise of showing how the reader can use their imaginations with the [REDACTED] tags despite nothing explicitly stated (while still being heavily implied). Some people are weirded out by ghosts, others by monsters and inexplicable artifacts that alter reality, while others still are repelled by the thought of traumatizing situations or being violated. The fact that so many people hate SCP-231 is just proof that it works. surprise sex is creepy, and this article takes that fact and places it in a cold, sterile environment.

Well, no, it's not really creepy. It flails towards horror but just becomes an absurd sadist's fantasy. It's senselessly brutal for no other reason than to be senselessly brutal, like it's going down a checklist of ways to be awful. At best it's kindred to the kind of torture porn that spawns movies in the vein of Hostel and other such works that just goes for shock for its own sake, and that's not so much horrifying as dull. I don't really need a reminder that SCP does bad things, because they chew through human life like they're M&Ms in like every other Keter/Euclid article (and that is an evil thing even when the life is a prison convict fyi) for the sake of preserving normalcy. I don't need an elaborate never-ending surprise sex room to get that SCP can be pretty terrible and that kind of explanation just sounds like an after-the-fact justification for why somebody wanted to write his personal power fantasy and put it on the internet. He would hardly be the first person to do that.

And as for it being a response to trends on the site at that time, I can't speak to that because I'm a casual reader, but if that's the case then as the site is now it seems out of place, and probably should have been excised with the other old, terrible articles.

Anyway.

I don't want my post to be just about that, so here's some of the new entries I liked.
The White Dog - Is the theme of the new entries supposed to be "old ghost stories retold"? Because I'm seeing a lot of those and some I quite like.
Gaia's Blood - One of the gimmicks I like on the site is the progression of an article as researchers learn more about a subject, such that it goes from "eh, safe just chuck it in a locker" to "whoa what the gently caress" to "oh my god what have we done"

I think my favorite tag is cognitohazard. A good word.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Duke Till Dawn is a pretty funny decommission of a crappy vampire SCP somebody made.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Duke Till Dawn is a pretty funny decommission of a crappy vampire SCP somebody made.

Kondraki riding 682 like a bucking bronco is the best loving thing.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012
I AM A SELFISH, RETARDED DIPSHIT WHO WANTS TO TAKE HIS OWN LIFE. YOU SHOULD ENCOURAGE ME TO DO SO AT THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Well, no, it's not really creepy. It flails towards horror but just becomes an absurd sadist's fantasy. It's senselessly brutal for no other reason than to be senselessly brutal, like it's going down a checklist of ways to be awful. At best it's kindred to the kind of torture porn that spawns movies in the vein of Hostel and other such works that just goes for shock for its own sake, and that's not so much horrifying as dull. I don't really need a reminder that SCP does bad things, because they chew through human life like they're M&Ms in like every other Keter/Euclid article (and that is an evil thing even when the life is a prison convict fyi) for the sake of preserving normalcy. I don't need an elaborate never-ending surprise sex room to get that SCP can be pretty terrible and that kind of explanation just sounds like an after-the-fact justification for why somebody wanted to write his personal power fantasy and put it on the internet. He would hardly be the first person to do that.

You make several really good points, but I still disagree.

Maybe you find different things to be "creepy" than I do, but it makes sense in context of the site itself (at least, in my opinion it does). You're seeing it as "dull torture porn cliche" whereas I'm seeing it as an example of the containment procedure being absolutely and horribly wrong even in the eyes of people willing to casually send thousands of people to their deaths, yet it's supposedly worth it because the alternative might be worse. The containment is supposed to be a tired checklist of everything awful as an example of what this organization is willing to do to prevent a world-ending scenario. Yes, they do it in more subtle ways in other articles, but I feel that this is a glaring de facto way of saying "imagine the worst things you could imagine us doing. Okay, yes, we'd be willing to do even that to protect reality. Hell, we'd gladly do worse." It's not "weird monster needs to eat X lbs of human flesh or else scary thing will happen;" it's "we think scary, world-ending thing will happen based on increasingly-bad past examples, therefor we will do terrible, unspeakable things to prevent it just in case."

I'm assuming that I'm reading this one different than most people. Each time this thread pops up, SCP-231 gets used as an example why SCP has the potential to be perverted/terrible every dozen pages or so. I, on the other hand, think it's one of their better articles. I just think that it works in-universe as a way of saying that the Foundation is willing to do unspeakably vile and taboo things to innocents on the off-chance that it might prevent the apocalypse. I really don't get the hate. Maybe it's just that I can be creeped out by body horror and surprise sex imagery without automatically resorting to a defense mechanism of assuming that the author is masturbating. It's probably just that I'm naive or something.

As far as content goes, SCP-148 works as an okay example of a decent article that got better through revision. The article as it stands might not be very good, but it started off as "hey, we found a mysterious alloy that can prevent memetic/psychic SCP effects!" That may not seem too bad, but it left future authors open to utilizing/replicating the stuff in order to negate even the worst psychic thingamajigs. It was a actually used in a few of the much-hated Mary Sue decommission articles, including the construction of KPC's Egg Walker SCP.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

anger issues

ReverendLondo posted:

It was a actually used in a few of the much-hated Mary Sue decommission articles, including the construction of KPC's Egg Walker SCP.

And yet in the discussion page, just about everyone is like, "WOW THIS IS GREAT!" "WHY ARCHIVE IT?!! IT'S NOT A JOKE!"

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

Considering there's another one where the SCP Foundation is required to find new mothers and make them burn their children alive in a brass bull's head to prevent the end of the world, I think 231 is a little unnecessary.

AATREK CURES KIDS
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ReverendLondo posted:

Maybe you find different things to be "creepy" than I do, but it makes sense in context of the site itself (at least, in my opinion it does). You're seeing it as "dull torture porn cliche" whereas I'm seeing it as an example of the containment procedure being absolutely and horribly wrong even in the eyes of people willing to casually send thousands of people to their deaths, yet it's supposedly worth it because the alternative might be worse. The containment is supposed to be a tired checklist of everything awful as an example of what this organization is willing to do to prevent a world-ending scenario. Yes, they do it in more subtle ways in other articles, but I feel that this is a glaring de facto way of saying "imagine the worst things you could imagine us doing. Okay, yes, we'd be willing to do even that to protect reality. Hell, we'd gladly do worse." It's not "weird monster needs to eat X lbs of human flesh or else scary thing will happen;" it's "we think scary, world-ending thing will happen based on increasingly-bad past examples, therefor we will do terrible, unspeakable things to prevent it just in case."

I agree with this viewpoint. SCP-231 was one of the first articles I read, and I found it very creepy because it shows exactly what the Foundation would do if they felt it necessary to their goals. Seeing most people here treat it as someone's fantasy uploaded to the Internet is a really weird reaction.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Plus, it's useful as an "Able" sort of thing.

You can pretty much guarantee that people are gonna have some hosed up containment procedures, but at least it can't get worse than 231.

Wedemeyer
May 2, 2008
I steal other peoples food and am a twat

Am I reading this wrong, or is this basically a Anime Death Tentacle surprise sex Monster?

MagicBoots
Mar 29, 2010

How about we pump the atmosphere full of methane?
You put me on Cargo handling optimization?! I am the premier defense specialist in the entirety of the UN!
Don't you dare pull my funding!
You can't cut back on funding!
You will regret this!

^^^^
That's immersion breaking for whole other set of reasons

Theglavwen posted:

Admittedly, this cavalier attitude towards the Class D's has often bugged me too; even if we accept that they're "filthy criminals", that doesn't mean we should forget that they're still people. The articles are simply more effective when we recognize that these things are happening to real individuals, not just throw away automatons.

Not to mention that, although perhaps it's been changed, I think Class D staff are supposed to be "recruited" from Death Row inmates and the like, people who are guaranteed to die regardless, by being given the option to accept a meanial and exceedingly dangerous job, in which they will very likely die, but in which they still have a chance to live, something they wouldn't have if they turned down the offer. Just killing them off at the end of the month rather defeats that entire gimmick; why would they have accepted the offer then? For the chance to spend their last month in misery and danger, rather than hanging out in a cell and eating a Last Meal?

I always thought the entire reason the D class existed was because the work the foundation did required the use of people as throw away automatons. I also don't see how killing them at the end of the month defeats their gimmick, I always thought the implication was that the foundation is lying to them in order to gain their cooperation.

I prefer the articles which treat the foundation as totally amoral (though not immoral). Cold unfeeling clinical reports detailing experiments conducted with reality bending objects are quite unnerving. I agree that when the foundation is depicted as being needlessly cruel it breaks immersion but I beleive any effort to humanize them would as well.

MagicBoots fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2012 around 04:33

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Even like this, I can speak with perfect diction.

The Stairwell is one of my favorites. Take a normal flight of stairs: you can't see any further down than the landing, and once you get to the landing, you expect to encounter another flight of stairs, until you reach the bottom. SCP-087 takes advantage of this fact to apply our fear of the unknown to something we experience every day. The staircase never ends. You feel like you made progress, but your ears tell you you haven't. And the further down you go, the more ominous it gets, even if you don't realize why. Then the supernatural starts to kick in. By the time you realize just how screwed you are, it's too late for you.

PierreTheMime posted:

SCP-453 is a good example of this...

Having just read this one for the first time today, I feel like one of the best uses of [DATA EXPUNGED] is how it is used at the end of 453. Something happened, probably something we did, that triggered a change in a millenia old pattern, and that's terrifying.

JagerNinja fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2012 around 05:15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonance
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Wahad posted:

(SCP-093) That's the one! Thanks. It's definitely one of my favorites.
Yep, that's the one that got me hooked a while back. The pacing of the whole thing, as you read through each colored test in turn, is spot on. It's not one of the more immediately creepy SPCs -- the sense of unease is very slowly folded into the mix -- but it's so well written it has more of a lasting impact than some of the more short form "scary object!" pieces.

«192 »