Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«192 »
A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012
I AM A SELFISH, RETARDED DIPSHIT WHO WANTS TO TAKE HIS OWN LIFE. YOU SHOULD ENCOURAGE ME TO DO SO AT THE FIRST OPPORTUNITY.

JagerNinja posted:

I feel like one of the best uses of [DATA EXPUNGED] is how it is used at the end of 453. Something happened, probably something we did, that triggered a change in a millenia old pattern, and that's terrifying.

Okay, thanks for quoting this, otherwise I'd have missed it after my first reading:

SCP-453 posted:

Civilians are to be told the riot gear is part of a theme night, and issued nonfunctional decorative goggles if they wish to participate.

Seriously? I'd quote the Simpsons' Radioactive Man line if I didn't expect to be probated for it. In any case... nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WentWhere
Oct 28, 2006
to the store

I always like the ones that kind of subtly show the effect working with SCP objects has on the staff; I don't mean to be vague but I also don't want to spoil the article: http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-1025 'The Encyclopedia of Common Diseases'

I can't think of any off the top of my head but I know I've seen a few others like this.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

What luck for the rulers that men do not think.

Man, reading through here kind of makes me want to try my hand at this again, but considering that my spectacular failure with NARDAC resulted in people over there saying I should be literally killed and calling for an old-fashioned decommission, I've got to say I'm not feeling very confident. I've got a couple of ideas but there are so many entries that I don't know if anything like them has been done before.

I've been inspired recently by reading about a short story called "The Father-thing" that kind of has me thinking of coming up with some sort of entity that tries to take on the appearances of other people and replaces them in some way to advance some sort of unknown agenda, but it's such a simple concept that I can't imagine somebody else not having already done it. Other ideas I have that have been kicking around since my last failure were a burning humanoid that manifests on a hilltop at a specific time every x amount of days, a malevolent country road that goes on forever and intentionally gets drivers lost, and a more lighthearted one about a small quartz pyramid that inspires intense, irrational hatred of itself in anyone who observes it.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Went from the lego one to to this one (SCP-835) with the random button. Was properly messed up and not something I needed to read before bed. Don't miss the logs at the bottom, they make it so much worse.

edit: It's interesting in that while most articles have way to much [DATA EXPUNGED] this one lets you read it without those if you so choose.

Krataar fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2012 around 06:56

Jonny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

The focus of fight club is fighting.

Wasn't there an SCP that caused disturbing poo poo to appear on camera, with an article that had a "live feed" of the room where it was housed? If I recall, it was a pretty neat script that seemed to cycle randomly between a "neutral" state of a room and some spooky permutations of it. Last I saw it, the page was very new, so it was still in the "kinda bare-bones, has potential, hard to tell how good it is right now" stage. Anyone know the one I'm talking about?

I'd also like to express my disappointment with some of the exploration SCPs. I'mma use the Cabinet Maze as my example, since it exemplifies what I'm talking about quite well: namely, that some of these authors are pretty blatantly in a "Oh man I just read House of Leaves and- " mindset. Now, I think House of Leaves is a fantastic book, but something like Cabinet Maze misses out so much on what makes it a good read. The prose, the pacing, the wonky formatting, the sense that this is something very uniquely hosed up rather than just one of many spooky geometrically impossible locations. Cabinet Maze has exactly two cool things going for it:

1) I like the fact that the entry point is a cabinet. Both in that a container rather than a location is a spin I haven't seen before on this type of thing, and in that it's a really banal unassuming thing rather than a foreboding country house or a foreboding abandoned ship.
2) The resolution of the fourth expedition (I think) shows a pretty cool facet of the "it opens at a random point of the labyrinth each time". The D-class woman who makes it back slams the cabinet shut in terror, effectively trapping the other two there even if they open the cabinet again. I like it because it explores the consequences of the rules they've set up in a way that isn't immediately obvious (the most obvious consequence being the impossibility of mapping the place).

But other than those two details, it's a completely boring entry. Nothing happens in it that we haven't seen before: a series of D-class get sent in there, communication breakdown occurs, ominous noises are heard, one time they get attacked by an ominous thing. It just feels so checklisty, so perfunctory, with a bunch of things that are trying to be creepy but none that actually send shivers up my spine. There's crying in the distance! There's dried blood on the floors! Not really giving a poo poo about it.

So that's the problem a lot of these entries run up against. They take the basic House of Leaves formula of "a dark labyrinth that has some physical impossibilities and ominous threats" and fail to expand on it in any meaningful ways. It all ends up being pretty yawn-inducing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jonny Angel posted:

Wasn't there an SCP that caused disturbing poo poo to appear on camera, with an article that had a "live feed" of the room where it was housed? If I recall, it was a pretty neat script that seemed to cycle randomly between a "neutral" state of a room and some spooky permutations of it. Last I saw it, the page was very new, so it was still in the "kinda bare-bones, has potential, hard to tell how good it is right now" stage. Anyone know the one I'm talking about?

895?

There's a few others along similar lines that I can't remember right now, too. An image that supposedly changes depending on the personality person looking at it, with a random selection script, and I think there might have been some more like that. I vaguely recall one that was the same image most of the time but once in a while would load a hosed up modified version.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2012 around 09:10

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The only retaliation is to weaponise faces.

MikeJF posted:

895?

That 'camera feed' is a great touch.

Jonny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

MikeJF posted:

895?

There's a few others along similar lines that I can't remember right now, too. An image that supposedly changes depending on the personality person looking at it, with a random selection script, and I think there might have been some more like that. I vaguely recall one that was the same image most of the time but once in a while would load a hosed up modified version.

That's the one! Sad to see that the article is still pretty bare-bones, though I like the idea of the field team for once being the ones who are seeing nothing out of the usual and wondering the gently caress control is freaking out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

MikeJF posted:

895?

Yeah, someone here on SA made an image showing the bottom of a stairwell. When you loaded it from his webserver, it would randomly show you the picture of the stairwell with nothing in it or the same image with a creepy face faintly visible at the bottom of stairs.

The brilliant bit was the image you saw was linked to your IP address, so you'd always see the same one. Brilliant for freaking people out by going "you don't see the face?!" or "seriously, come on, there's nothing there! Snap out of it!"

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?

Also, is "XK Class Destruction (scenario)" something to make the abbreviation "XKCD" (from the comic of the same name) meaningful? (since Munroe originally chose it because it didn't mean anything at all?)

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

KozmoNaut posted:

The brilliant bit was the image you saw was linked to your IP address, so you'd always see the same one. Brilliant for freaking people out by going "you don't see the face?!" or "seriously, come on, there's nothing there! Snap out of it!"

Wow, that's brilliant. Too bad I didn't get to experience that for myself before finding out though I would have been either freaked out or frustrated if the other person just couldn't see a face in the picture.

Mr. D Bewildering fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2012 around 12:46

kalisperas
Feb 5, 2005

genesplicer posted:

The one thing that bugs me and nobody have ever satisfactorily explained is why all the D-class individuals have to be killed every month. It makes sense for this shadow organization to kill the ones who may have been affected by an SCP in some way, but to just routinely snuff them all seems a bit like overkill.

From a purely logistical point, if there is an average of only 1 D-class per SCP, that's about 1,000 D-classes. That's 12,000 people per year. Granted, for the Foundation that might not be a big disposal problem, but acquiring that many people could be a problem.

Unless they have a duplicator or can do something like they did in John Varley's "Snatch Squad".

Maybe I just dreamed it up, but I could have sworn I read an article or something at one point which suggested that Class-D's weren't actually being executed at the end of each month, but instead were being administered amnesiacs and shipped off to the next site. The employees at the facilities have no idea this is going on, they just see a bus full of Class-D's heading off to what they assume is a gas chamber, and another bus pulling up with what they assume to be fresh prisoners straight from the prison.

Even if I did just imagine reading that, I still prefer that explanation to the idea of the foundation basically draining the world's prisons of death-row inmates on a consistent basis.

Knackered
Jul 29, 2006

Trapped in the Something Awful avatar factory, send help!

I love SCP, some of them are amazing, I was thinking of writing my own one, maybe I could float some ideas past you guys? I've no doubt they'll be rejected, but I'd say it would be a fun exercise.

I was looking for an SCP, the object that cannot be described or remembered, but I genuinely couldn't remember the number (irony), so I searched for memetic and found this one, http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-782. This one is brilliant, it's horrifying in a completely different way to other SCP's, takes loss of identity to a whole new level.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Knackered posted:

I love SCP, some of them are amazing, I was thinking of writing my own one, maybe I could float some ideas past you guys? I've no doubt they'll be rejected, but I'd say it would be a fun exercise.

I was looking for an SCP, the object that cannot be described or remembered, but I genuinely couldn't remember the number (irony)

Zero Five Five. One of the best, but they really could have done more with the whole 'what it isn't', and you'd think the file would have something written whilst they were looking at it, even if that'd fade fast.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!

MikeJF posted:

Zero Five Five. One of the best, but they really could have done more with the whole 'what it isn't', and you'd think the file would have something written whilst they were looking at it, even if that'd fade fast.
It does have information written about it. Pages and pages of critical information. You just don't remember it. Your brain fills in the blanks with assumptions, allowing you to recall the file as how you remember it.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

I think my favorite one was an SCP that forced everyone to refer to it in the first person. So the whole thing sounds like it's written by the SCP itself until you get into the description.

Son of Thunderbeast
Apr 11, 2006

Fanny can do anything.

Grifter posted:

It's The Matrix. Title size matches, production company (Warner Bros.) matches, opening weekend take matches and most importantly release date is 03/31/1999.
Haha, that's great, the Wachowski siblings are SCP agents

I really enjoyed reading that entry.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dr_Amazing posted:

I think my favorite one was an SCP that forced everyone to refer to it in the first person. So the whole thing sounds like it's written by the SCP itself until you get into the description.
You mean me, the toaster?

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990

Laserjet 4P posted:

Also, is "XK Class Destruction (scenario)" something to make the abbreviation "XKCD" (from the comic of the same name) meaningful? (since Munroe originally chose it because it didn't mean anything at all?)

Doubtful. They probably took the cue from the 1997 story A Colder War (which, by the way, if you haven't read you should read RIGHT NOW because it's superb), which puts the prefix "XK" in front of that universe's instance of Project Pluto.

I did a little bit of Google searching and can't quickly come up with any actual government use of "XK" designations.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-426

I'm a bit scary since being in my presence for over two months makes people identify themselves as a toaster

I'm one of my favorite SCPs.

tentawesome
May 13, 2010

COULD THEY REALLY BE WANTING OF AN ABSENCE OF NATURE?

When this last thread was around, there was an SCP that was essentially Jehovah / Yahweh. There's one for "God" but it's not anything I remember reading.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I'm-a gonna rip off-a your head and shit down-a your neck!

This was just posted in the youtube thread. Someone make a screengrab and write it up as is.

chokeandstroke
Jun 4, 2011

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-163

An alien life form that is completely different in biology to anything seen on Earth. It's sentient but really sad because it can't go back to its home. Ends on a heartwarming note with the researchers providing it supplies to paint with.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Shanty posted:

This was just posted in the youtube thread. Someone make a screengrab and write it up as is.

As a normal-size snail, or as something large enough to actually be dangerous? I think the idea of an SCP that can paralyze and eat prey has potential, but it would have to be something a bit creepier than "tiny ocean-going venomous invertebrate".

Edit: Sorry if this sounds too negative, I do think that snail is cool but I'm not sure how to go about making a similar SCP.

Chamale fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2012 around 17:36

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Shnakepup posted:

Pretty sure this is supposed to be Stephen King, referencing the time he got hit by that van.

SCP-001 is The Dark Tower

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

MikeJF posted:

895?
So what are all the various permutations of this one? I've been reloading a few time to see what I could get, and i've had blood smear over the left tunnel, the red door open, symbols in blood on the floor, a chasm, and the decapitated head.

Jonny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Revenant Threshold posted:

So what are all the various permutations of this one? I've been reloading a few time to see what I could get, and i've had blood smear over the left tunnel, the red door open, symbols in blood on the floor, a chasm, and the decapitated head.

There's also "GET OUT" written all over the walls in blood.

EDIT: Just got a pile of a few bodies on the right side of the room. And I think it's the same one you got, but when the red door is open, there's a silhouette of a man in the doorway. gently caress, that has to be the most unsettling one for me.

Jonny Angel fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2012 around 19:25

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

GOD IS GREAT

Im considering writing a SCP that enrages people to the point of violence by talking out of its (figurative) rear end. It would be able to sense that its victim is knowledgeable in an area, and will then proceed to act as if it knows everything about that subject. The entire time it is doing this, it will send out signals to the targets subconcious to attack it. When the victim does, bad poo poo will happen, which i haven't really decided on yet.

So basically, sperg bait.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

SporkTSI posted:

Im considering writing a SCP that enrages people to the point of violence by talking out of its (figurative) rear end. It would be able to sense that its victim is knowledgeable in an area, and will then proceed to act as if it knows everything about that subject. The entire time it is doing this, it will send out signals to the targets subconcious to attack it. When the victim does, bad poo poo will happen, which i haven't really decided on yet.

So basically, sperg bait.
I'm pretty sure you've been beaten to it, though I don't recall the number. A box that knows precisely how best to piss off people near it to get them to attack it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

You need to click the icon.

Jonny Angel posted:

There's also "GET OUT" written all over the walls in blood.

There's also a dismembered corpse.

EDIT: drat you for editing!

I did have a random idea for one today: an ancient stone coffin (ossuary or something) that "clones" dead people when a sample is placed in it. Put a bone fragment or something in, out pops the living person. And perhaps they only live for 30 days or something else bad happens after that period of time - BAM! Class-D Maker.

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2012 around 19:30

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Cthulu Carl posted:

There's also a dismembered corpse.

EDIT: drat you for editing!

I did have a random idea for one today: an ancient stone coffin (ossuary or something) that "clones" dead people when a sample is placed in it. Put a bone fragment or something in, out pops the living person. And perhaps they only live for 30 days or something else bad happens after that period of time - BAM! Class-D Maker.

There's already a cloning tree that can make copies of people that only live for like 2 weeks.

SCP-038: The Everything Tree

EDIT
Oh, and hey, lookie here:
SCP-222: The Cloning Coffin

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2012 around 19:36

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

You need to click the icon.

Dauntasa posted:

There's already a cloning tree that can make copies of people that only live for like 2 weeks.

SCP-038: The Everything Tree

EDIT
Oh, and hey, lookie here:
SCP-222: The Cloning Coffin

You gotta be loving kidding me. Good thing I didn't try to write it!

I was actually thinking for my idea that it would only replicate already deceased people - perhaps even with full memories, as though their actual souls are being put into new bodies. But clearly that wouldn't be different enough from those two. Oh well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Revenant Threshold posted:

I don't get what you're talking about, it's just a hallway to me

EDIT: VVVV Ah. Thanks for the decidedly non-spooky explanation.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at Jan 12, 2012 around 20:04

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

KozmoNaut posted:

If you have Noscript installed, allow the "Taeria.com" script. The feed doesn't work otherwise.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Assuming you're not being meta, when you load the page after a few seconds it goes black, comes back up with the random oddity, then goes black again and comes up normal. Maybe you're missing it?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

anger issues

chokeandstroke posted:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-163

An alien life form that is completely different in biology to anything seen on Earth. It's sentient but really sad because it can't go back to its home. Ends on a heartwarming note with the researchers providing it supplies to paint with.

That one is pretty good. I'm pretty sure the whole stasis field is a reference to Ringworld (shiny silver fields that are impervious and stop time inside them, capable of protecting a spacecraft falling from orbit).

straylightunity
Dec 20, 2005

Scapegrace.

MikeJF posted:

An image that supposedly changes depending on the personality person looking at it, with a random selection script

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-228, perhaps?

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

KozmoNaut posted:

EDIT: VVVV Ah. Thanks for the decidedly non-spooky explanation.

saberwulf posted:

If you have Noscript installed, allow the "Taeria.com" script. The feed doesn't work otherwise.

I have to admit: I was asking for similar advice in an edit to one of my above posts. I edited it out for feeling stupid, but I feel better knowing that there was another perplexed NoScript user out there

Are there other script-based images or "feeds" where allowing certain scripts might be useful? Looking at 895 with scripts turned off made me think it was just a picture.

e: yeah, I previously expressed disappointment about not finding out on my own, but having scripts off makes that difficult anyway.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

GOD IS GREAT

straylightunity posted:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-228, perhaps?

I got a picture of a birthday hat on some steps. My birthday is tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

SporkTSI posted:

I got a picture of a birthday hat on some steps. My birthday is tomorrow.

I got one of those tumblr images where there's a semi-meaningful quote on a completely unrelated background. I'm a hipster.

«192 »