Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

The MSJ posted:

SCP-507, the very average guy who teleports to a random alternate universe every two weeks, is a joy to read. It switches between being funny and creepy, without being completely silly.

About the researchers, I prefer if they keep characters like Clef as vague as possible. Didn't somebody wrote a story where he keeps telling people different things if they ask about his background? Dr Bright seems to be handled pretty well, because his immortality isn't of the pleasant variety.

507 is one of my favorites. The part where he ends up in the world where the sun suddenly is a giant eyeball made me shiver.

Another great SCP-related piece, is the one where a spaceship visits what once was Earth. I don't remember that the story tells what happens, but it's implied that SCP-682 goi into contact with the Ball of Slime and everything went to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

I got this idea of an old aneroid barometer that can actually control the weather. So when you fiddle with the manually set needle, the barometer will change accordingly. The trouble is, a random place in the world will encounter completely randomized weather patterns. So if you set the barometer for "Sunny" at 44 Green Acres, New York, you might end up with floods in Sahara.
And there is no system to the random weather, which means that any time you might fiddle with the barometer, you could potentially be responsible for a weather disaster.

It has probably already been done in some form, though.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Speaking of 682, I finally found that story about the aftermath of the meeting of zombie lizard and green ball of goo: A Chance Encounter

Now I only need to find that story about the end of the earth, written like it's a note recovered from a parallel dimension or something. Fog, the earth just disappearing and so on.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Yessssssss.

I would at some point like to read/write a SCP about a video library containing the the entire lives of people, like a hightech video store. You input your name and get access to a room, filled with videos. The earliest videos are on Betamaxes and VHS, then on DVD, then on Blurays and then on weird crystaline blocks, that no one has found a way to decode yet.

So people can see everything that has happened to them, without any filter, but they won't know what happens to them in the future.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Say, have there ever been a "ray gun" SCP of sorts? I don't really recall having read about one, but I imagine that it must have been done.
(If not, I think I'll apply for the Foundation and try to write one )

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

^ Logically, I figure it has to do with people associating surprise sex with Creepy. Emotionally, I'd wager it has a lot to do with 'sex is creepy / icky' thoughts from the writers.

Bit of an announcement: people took a liking enough to my SCP-440 and corresponding exploration log, and since my New SCP Ideas haven't been very appealing to myself, I decided to do another log of 440.

440 is one of my favorites. I have this thing for exploration of "alien" environments and this one is great!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

genesplicer posted:

I wonder if they have a cubicle farm somewhere for all the employees who do the paperwork. If they exist, what's decorating the walls of those cubicles?

Several humourous pictures with mangled english and an adorable SCP. They're called lolSCP-131.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

When I read that it was a gun, I knew I was in for trouble. So I just pretended it was a gun that, when fired, makes the sound of a kid shouting "bang! bang!"

Are guns banned from the SCP? Because I had this idea of a raygun, looking similar to and old sci-fi movie ray gun, which had different settings, but if guns in general are frowned upon, I'll drop it before writing anything.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

That one'd be dangerous, mostly because you just know there's someone just waiting for inserting his fursona into that SCP.
"Subject was transformed into a beautiful wolf/fox-humanoid, with a lush greyish golden fur..."

Jesus, that poo poo's hard to write. How does people do it!

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Planet Piss posted:

Mr. Sillybug: The idea of something that is perceived differently by kids and adults is an interesting one, and the degree of the difference makes this a fun entry.

That one always makes me slightly sad. I mean, I would probably flip out and try to kill such a thing with a shovel, but it only wants to play with you

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

IUG posted:

You do know they're probably based off of real life things that do target only specific animals, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8

You just reminded me of this: http://www.scp-wiki.net/up

Truth be told, the concept of Cordyceps scare the living daylight out of me. It's just too freaky.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Feranon posted:

You sound like someone who should read the Instruction for a Help/View from Below series by Zack Parsons (if you haven't already, that is)

I haven't! Got a link or is it a book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Just finished reading them. View from Below is chilling as hell.

Cordyceps and other mindaltering things are scary. Like, they scare me more than nuclear war. The fact that there's already a parasite out there, Toxoplasmosis, that can alter the human minds just doesn't help.