Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«412 »
Diacritical Mark
Jul 26, 2010

^ this Redditor is starting to see what a shithole Reddit is, so they should get in to SRS.

Transphobic Redditor posted:

According to who, exactly? I'm not even on the other side of that issue, but you can't just go around and define words as you see fit.

gently caress you! That's exactly what dictionaries are for! They do not prescribe a fixed usage but instead report linguistic trends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleksei Vasiliev
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

atjosefs731 posted:

Please tell me you punched her in the face

MisogynyPoweredLich posted:

Even as we speak my influence spreads across your insignificant world
i like this user

Miss Andrist
Feb 25, 2012

Diacritical Mark posted:

^ this Redditor is starting to see what a shithole Reddit is, so they should get in to SRS.

gently caress you! That's exactly what dictionaries are for! They do not prescribe a fixed usage but instead report linguistic trends.

The dictionary defence is the absolutely most obnoxious thing in the entire loving world. Because you know who knows more about sociological concepts than loving sociologists? People at a drat dictionary publishing house

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Oh for god's sake...

Diacritical Mark posted:

What if that Redditor is already somewhere better than /r/SRS/? What if they're on SA? WHAT IF THAT REDDITOR IS ME? BWAHAHAH!

But seriously, I am SolarisPrime but I didn't want to be all "hey guys halp these awful people are downvoting me", I wanted to show off some awful examples of humanity. Sorry If this makes me seem conceited or obnoxious, by the way.

How are u
May 19, 2005
We will be unified in the trenches of resistance. We will not surrender, we will never surrender to Israeli terror.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

i like this user

This and that 'racism sniffing dog' account are fantastic

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh man, I don't know how to effortpost but check this out. A guy's girlfriend trashes his Wii and he cries to /r/gaming over it, and then this rear end in a top hat shows up:

The OP of that thread sounds like a great catch. I get a strong feeling he considers that Wii to be more of a person than his girlfriend, or of more value at the very least.

lancemantis
Sep 14, 2007

Oh, children and their vidya

Literally The Worst
Oct 12, 2007

http://www.reddit.com/r/WTF//commen...2%A0_%E0%B2%A0/

r/wtf thread with a picture of a newspaper headline saying teachers are advising victims of bullying to "act less gay"

The top comments aren't bad, but then you get to "this is good advice! see you should change your behavior to fit in better ad plus you won't get bullied!" ad nauseam and ugh

UGH

quote:

Ya know, it sounds insesitive, but as a teacher I agree with the sentiments. Personally I see the only real solution to bullying is for schools to have more ability to expell them. However, a life long lesson for those being bullied by the average student is to quit being so loving annoying. That goes for everyone including the queeny gays. People don't have to like you, you can't make them, sack up!

This is a teacher saying this. How do you say this and teach. How.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

"Lapdog of the cis- hetero- oppressors"

Dickeye posted:

This is a teacher saying this. How do you say this and teach. How.

Reddit, these are the people you should be doxxing. ( Someone doxx this guy and sent it to the local news)

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011
There are a lot of things that robots do better than people. I'm trying to find more.

Dickeye posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/WTF//commen...2%A0_%E0%B2%A0/

r/wtf thread with a picture of a newspaper headline saying teachers are advising victims of bullying to "act less gay"

That thread made me sad:

+4 posted:

Yep. BEING gay is fine. But running around all flamboyant & wearing girly clothes will definitely get you unwanted attention.

vs.

-9 posted:

Being homophobic is uncool, but it's 2012... not sticking up for gay people against homophobic bullying or discrimination is far worse than believing homophobic things.

Literally The Worst
Oct 12, 2007

This post made me feel a lot better after screaming at shitlords, and I told the poster as much:

quote:

All of the comments here are depressing me. Maybe acting "normal" works, but it isn't the only solution and it isn't what we should be teaching children. I seriously hope none of you have children because I can't believe that someone would want to teach their child to hide who they are. This is the very reason why there are so many homophobic closet gays out there.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

so how much time do the main posters in this thread spend on reddit? I mean, yeah, reddit is the dregs of the internet but you're driving up their pageviews, jesus.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If only the niggersoverly excitable young men could celebrate like good young white menTebow.

global tetrahedron posted:

so how much time do the main posters in this thread spend on reddit? I mean, yeah, reddit is the dregs of the internet but you're driving up their pageviews, jesus.

Reddit is pretty drat big, I doubt our views matter all that much.

Literally The Worst
Oct 12, 2007

A) like CharlestheHammer said, it's a site with millions of users, a handful of goons ain't making that big a difference.

B) Personally, it's once or twice a week for an hour or so at a time. Any longer than that and I risk having a psychotic break wherein I begin planning a terrorist attack on reddit's servers.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

Yup.

I just read the thread, I've never actually sat down and browsed the site.

Literally The Worst
Oct 12, 2007

Arhghalk;j

quote:

What's wrong with teaching kids at an early age to man the gently caress up and take care of themselves instead of having everyone else do it for them? Bullying is very personal on many levels, the best way for someone to turn such a lovely situation around and make it beneficial is for them to tackle the problem head-on and fix it themself. Not everything is best handled by passing it off to someone else and making it another person's responsibility.
If you wish to raise your children a different way, so be it. Gradeschool is as much a place for social growth as it is for educational growth. Because of this, I try to let my children grow up strong early in life so they have the toolset necessary to handle the real world down the road.

You heard it right folks, bullying builds character.

REDDIT DELENDA EST

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Dickeye posted:

Arhghalk;j

REDDIT DELENDA EST

What does."dalenda est" mean?

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

Fleets of taxis stall in the fog, passengers fall asleep. Gas pours from a tri-color stack.

As being the child of Redditor parents isn't enough reason to want to kill yourself...

Literally The Worst
Oct 12, 2007

Seven Five Nine posted:

"must be destroyed"

Aleksei Vasiliev
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Seven Five Nine posted:

Taken from "Carthago delenda est", "Carthage must be destroyed".

They get more than two billion pageviews per month and you think we have an effect on that?

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

NEEDS FOOD BADLY

Dickeye posted:

Arhghalk;j

REDDIT DELENDA EST

Haha, the bullies are that dude's kids. He is a bully dad.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Shit, I didn't bring a knife.

Dickeye posted:

B) Personally, it's once or twice a week for an hour or so at a time. Any longer than that and I risk having a psychotic break wherein I begin planning a terrorist attack on reddit's servers.

I'm enjoying imagining that Redditor who decided that both SRS and SA were "linked to domestic terrorism," making GBS threads himself as he reads this.

Literally The Worst
Oct 12, 2007

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Haha, the bullies are that dude's kids. He is a bully dad.

We can only hope that they grow up to support Ron PauKILLYOURPARNETSl

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

NEEDS FOOD BADLY

I mean, at what age would you consider it appropriate to tell your child, "Man the gently caress up, son"? I'd say more along the lines of "twenty-five" but nope, turns out the correct answer is "kindergarten."

Literally The Worst
Oct 12, 2007

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I mean, at what age would you consider it appropriate to tell your child, "Man the gently caress up, son"? I'd say more along the lines of "twenty-five" but nope, turns out the correct answer is "kindergarten."

You know that story about Spartans leaving newborns outside to see if they died and then throwing the weaker of a pair of twins to the wolves?

I do that with all my kids.

If they don't come back with a wolfpelt we strike their name from the family bible.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

yea remind me next time
to not kill such a fat
person

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

r/funny's frontpage yesterday:

Real women....

what a hilarious troll account!

The transphobic posts are barely downvoted, if at all, and are generally around 1:1 for upvotes:downvotes.

moeloubani, +128 -128 posted: posted:

So if I say I'm a woman and I'm dressed as a man and I have a penis, no surgery, no hormone therapy then you would consider me a woman?

I guess you would be okay then with me being in your daughter/girlfriend/wife's change room in full view of her nakedness. After all - I'm just a girl.

Since we need to actual scientific genetic proof of someone's sex then I guess I could also say I'm a giraffe. Who are people to tell me otherwise? Can I say I'm a 5 year old? Who are you to tell me otherwise?

The idea that someone is something just because they say so is ridiculous. If you are born a man, you are always going to be a man. You might be a man without a dick or a man that grew tits or whatever but you are a man. The same goes if you are born a woman. The only time when there is confusion is for the people born with odd sex genes and stuff and those are the people that should be able to determine their sex for themselves. But when it is clear as day if you are a woman or man at birth then whether you like it or not then you will always be that sex. Always.

Is it just me or when transphobic people try to say how ridiculous trans people are with implausable bullshit, they always go for "I'M IN THE CHANGING ROOM/BATHROOM WITH OTHER WOMEN AND LEERING BUT IT'S OKAY CAUSE I SAY I'M A WOMAN" and/or "I AM A GIRAFFE/DOLPHIN RESPECT MY IDENTITY"? I can see why they say the stupid poo poo with the former, but the latter, it always seems to be giraffes and dolphins for some reason.

Senor Gato
Feb 13, 2012

I like joke's

Dickeye posted:

Arhghalk;j

REDDIT DELENDA EST
Are you sure you found that quote on noted progressive website reddit dot com??

quote:

"It does not have the aesthetic design of Digg, although it tends to generate more quality discussions and is far more versatile. Reddit is now the traffic king of the social news sites and an excellent place for advocates of real reform and progress to gather. The concept is simple: democracy of the internet."

"Good fresh content from solid and/or original sources tends to float to the top and the Reddit community is merciless in downvoting bad articles and spammy websites."

"Since Reddit consistently has the best content that also goes popular the quickest..."

"While there are some trolls, getting banned for comments is very rare, and the quality of discussion at Reddit is often exceptionally good."

"'Republicans are corporate whores' may be fun to say, but that type of comment will not be well received on Reddit."

To be fair, I'm sure Reddit is an okay/good way to "share progressive content," but that article exaggerates the level of discourse just a tad. This is from February so apologies if it's been posted before. I just searched "noted progressive website reddit" on google (without quotes) and this was one of the first things that popped up.

Literally The Worst
Oct 12, 2007

whargle barghle my eyes are bleeding from looking at that stupid Kos link.

UltraPenguinX
Mar 23, 2009

TC: hOnK hOnK iM a MoThErFuCkInG sEaL :o)

Looks like some unrest has occurred in the hallowed halls of "fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu".

It starts with this lovely comic:

A little racist, but hey, it's Reddit. This would be a simply ignorable comic if THIS hadn't surfaced a few hours later:

http://www.reddit.com/r/fffffffuuuu...ve_internet_to/

I've been reading through the comments and it looks to be legit (or at least as legit as one can determine about 2 guys on the internet). Also there are a bunch of people asking "WHAT'S RACIST ABOUT THIS?!" but luckily I've pretty much trained myself not to visually parse those anymore for my sanity's protection

lancemantis
Sep 14, 2007

Themata posted:

Is it just me or when transphobic people try to say how ridiculous trans people are with implausable bullshit, they always go for "I'M IN THE CHANGING ROOM/BATHROOM WITH OTHER WOMEN AND LEERING BUT IT'S OKAY CAUSE I SAY I'M A WOMAN" and/or "I AM A GIRAFFE/DOLPHIN RESPECT MY IDENTITY"? I can see why they say the stupid poo poo with the former, but the latter, it always seems to be giraffes and dolphins for some reason.

Thanks south park

Literally The Worst
Oct 12, 2007

Themata posted:

South Park's infamous episode dealing horribly with trans folk featured Kyle's dad wanting to be a dolphin.

So there you go. Mystery solved. Reddit is a bunch of shitlords that get their opinions from South Park.

HOW HIGH THE MOON
Aug 26, 2007

Dickeye posted:

South Park's infamous episode dealing horribly with trans folk featured Kyle's dad wanting to be a dolphin.

So there you go. Mystery solved. Reddit is a bunch of shitlords that get their opinions from South Park.

So you can get a taste of how stupid the talking point of this episode was if you haven't seen it, Kyle's dad gets surgery to become a dolphin because he always liked them and ends up a horrific monstrosity. He then goes on to flip the gently caress out at a basketball game because they don't have special seats to accommodate his new weird dolphin body and cries discrimination.

Transpeople wanting to be treated as their target gender and referred to as such is the same as wanting everyone to pay to create SPECIAL things for you because of your choices. This is the flawless argument people saw played out on TV and decided to parrot.

BitterCharisma
Feb 28, 2012

Dickeye posted:

Is it a surprise that the South Park creators also identify as libertarian? To the point where they said they hated liberals more than conservatives?

I mean...I want to like the show and I am a libertarian myself but most libertarians I know are loving horrible people. I just don't want to be a libertarian nor like South Park anymore.

Yet I still love South Park. I am terrible.

Literally The Worst
Oct 12, 2007

Man now you done outed yourself as a libertarian.

Why you gotta do that?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

HOW HIGH THE MOON posted:

So you can get a taste of how stupid the talking point of this episode was if you haven't seen it, Kyle's dad gets surgery to become a dolphin because he always liked them and ends up a horrific monstrosity. He then goes on to flip the gently caress out at a basketball game because they don't have special seats to accommodate his new weird dolphin body and cries discrimination.

Transpeople wanting to be treated as their target gender and referred to as such is the same as wanting everyone to pay to create SPECIAL things for you because of your choices. This is the flawless argument people saw played out on TV and decided to parrot.

But don't you get it, the truth is somewhere in the middle!

Bad Bromance
May 20, 2010

Sorry, guys, I actually do still suck dick! Also my mom only lets me spend five bucks a month to get my cool gaga avatars back so I guess I'm stuck with this one for a while.

Dickeye posted:

Man now you done outed yourself as a libertarian.

Why you gotta do that?

Seriously, it's the political equivalent of coming into a thread and talking about all the little dragonlings you fathered in a past life, and really all those other internet people are just crazy but I really AM a dragon

BitterCharisma
Feb 28, 2012

Bad Bromance posted:

Seriously, it's the political equivalent of coming into a thread and talking about all the little dragonlings you fathered in a past life, and really all those other internet people are just crazy but I really AM a dragon

How?

Literally The Worst
Oct 12, 2007

BitterCharisma posted:

How?

Libertarianism is loving insanity.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 23, 2008

Yup.

You know that guy who talks about how he has this really awesome idea, but throws out a million impossible prerequisites he's assuming first that are needed to make it work? That guy is libertarianism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitterCharisma
Feb 28, 2012

Sorry for the derail, here is my attempt at a rerail.

A classic example of reddit almost getting the point but completely loving it up.

Nobody deserves anyone because it implies that the person your infatuated with is merely an object.

«412 »