Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Really, we just have one datapoint on battery life and that datapoint hasn't been reliable in the past when it comes to battery life. I'm not willing to say the sky is falling yet.

By the middle of next week, we should have a pretty good indication on whether or not 12 hours is the best case. Don't forget there's a moto Q&A session today, so they may address it there since that seems to be the number one question on everyone's mind right now.

Where is this Q&A? I can only find the MotoX/G one that happened a few hours ago.

Seems to answer it at 22:23:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/hangouts/onair/watch?hid=hoaevent%2Fc04aaqgipehkadbje7tjp0vef48&wpsrc=yta&ytl=v1ne0Li7hvs

"all day battery life" super dodge answer. Ugh. He does address the "new shiny" battery life problem where its racked by a new user playing with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Just called my local Best Buy to see if they had any 360's. Apparently Best Buy's stocking system is glitching and reporting that some stores have them available for in-store pickup, when they in fact do not. Make sure you call the store directly to see if they actually have anything on hand.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://www.androidcentral.com/moto-360-and-qi-charging-match-made-nerd-heaven

Check out the first comment from the article writer.

quote:

And by the way, I've gone 8 hours so far today and am just now hitting 50 percent. I've heard rumblings about twice-daily charging or something don't even know the source; I haven't bothered looking and I'm not yet seeing anything nearly that alarming.

Not sure how he's using it and if he has the always-on display enabled, but that's at least on track for 16 hours during the first day of use.

Another comment here.

https://plus.google.com/+MarquesBrownlee/posts

quote:

Oh, and the #1 question I'm seeing is about battery life. So far... It's been pretty decent. Miles better than the LG G Watch, which is always on. I went most of a day yesterday and ended with 41%. More full-day testing will follow, for a proper full review :]

In those comments, there was another comment by a someone else who got his hands on a review unit.

quote:

I put mine back on the charger after approximately 19 hours of use and it was at 15%. That was with pretty heavy use for several of those hours exploring all the features. I can't imagine a remotely normal user not seeing at least a full day on a charge. 

So, I think we can back away from the cliff now. Battery life looks to be on par with other android wear devices.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 5, 2014

Nut Better
Feb 17, 2011

:same:

Have any of you with the other android wear watches used the screen only on when you're looking at it feature. Is it responsive enough for you not to be bothered when it turns off?

If it's not really an issue and you can get a day of battery on the 360 using it, I could definitely see myself picking one up. Right now I have a pebble. It's nice having a screen that's always on but since it's e-ink, it isn't always glowing like an lcd would. That always glowing might get annoying anyway, so turning it off might be nice.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I guess this explains why Best Buy didn't have any 360s in stock this morning (and couldn't order them). They won't be available in stores until the 14th.

Best Buy posted:

Best Buy and Best Buy Mobile stores, the only brick-and-mortar retailers to offer the device at launch

:rolleyes:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

Really, we just have one datapoint on battery life and that datapoint hasn't been reliable in the past when it comes to battery life. I'm not willing to say the sky is falling yet.

Two (Verge and WSJ), but Marques Brownlee said his was fine, and he is like tech Jesus.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Just a minor quibble, but Pebble isn't eink. It's a transflective LCD.

I would also be fine though with the display being off most of the time. I'll still be able to get the time easier than my phone and still have access to the notifications as they come through.

I just want to have a good benchmark of what to expect between always-on and not.

If it's "12 hours always-on, 20 hours with it sleeping" that's perfectly fine for me.

Reverse Centaur posted:

Two (Verge and WSJ), but Marques Brownlee said his was fine, and he is like tech Jesus.

Yeah, I updated with those quotes right above.

Nut Better
Feb 17, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Just a minor quibble, but Pebble isn't eink. It's a transflective LCD.

Oh right, I always forget they marketed it as e-paper not e-ink. They really did a good job with it though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nut Better posted:

Have any of you with the other android wear watches used the screen only on when you're looking at it feature. Is it responsive enough for you not to be bothered when it turns off?

If it's not really an issue and you can get a day of battery on the 360 using it, I could definitely see myself picking one up. Right now I have a pebble. It's nice having a screen that's always on but since it's e-ink, it isn't always glowing like an lcd would. That always glowing might get annoying anyway, so turning it off might be nice.
To piggyback off this since there's something similar I've been wondering about, how are the backlit screens under low light like in a movie theater?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, I would love to see google expand android wear to make it compatible with slower refreshing, lower color depth screens.

What easily win my money right now is a e-ink spectra display (black, white, red), in a circle, under sapphire. Something like that would probably have a week's worth (or longer) of power. If google crafted Wear well, notifications could be just as useful on it.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I ordered one from the Motorola site about 10 minutes after it went on sale, and it said it was on "backorder" or something. But the shipping date is only Sept.19th which isn't too bad for a backorder or whatever.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

japtor posted:

To piggyback off this since there's something similar I've been wondering about, how are the backlit screens under low light like in a movie theater?

Haha, I was just wondering this same thing. You're in a movie and you get an email. No big deal as you're a responsible adult and have your phone on silent. But, wait, you have your Moto 360 on and it lights up like a goddamn spotlight. You panic and start flailing to dismiss it, but all you manage to do is make it look like you're the lighting setup outside of an LA night club.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

XIII posted:

Haha, I was just wondering this same thing. You're in a movie and you get an email. No big deal as you're a responsible adult and have your phone on silent. But, wait, you have your Moto 360 on and it lights up like a goddamn spotlight. You panic and start flailing to dismiss it, but all you manage to do is make it look like you're the lighting setup outside of an LA night club.

I was at a movie a few weeks ago and wanted to kill a guy because of his Samsung watch. He was sitting in the rear row of the "front rows," meaning he had a walkway behind him and thus nobody sitting within 10' or so behind him. He therefore spent the entire movie with his hands resting behind his head, his watch face pointing toward the rear of the movie. Because of this, his watch screen would turn on every few minutes and stay lit for a minute or so, acting like a bright beacon for all in the theater to enjoy in our field of view. It was very, very bright. I normally would say something, but I was way back in the theater and didn't feel like walking down there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You, as a responsible adult, should have muted your watch too.

Either that, or just turn off the phone or turn off bluetooth when you muted the phone.

It isn't a technology problem, it's a people problem.

An electroluminescent backlight on a traditional watch would be just as annoying in a darkened theater. Ditto for accidentally setting an alarm on your normal watch during the movie. At least the moto 360 has an ambient light sensor to auto-adjust brightness to match the environment.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
One note on the 360 is for as rigidly as Google has enforced the wear platform they are using what is basically an EOLed TI processor using an old fab processes so for one that is a power suck and it makes me kind of concerned that LG and Samsung are sharing a chip platform and not Motorola as far as support moving forward.

The LG round watch is using an OLED and the Snapdragon that the other watches is using so support and battery life could be tons, tons better. I decided to hold off on ordering a launch 360, we will see if I get impulsive and buy one at Best Buy when they get some in store but now would be a really, really good time for LG to share price and availability. Oh and get rid of those stupid tick marks on the bezel.

Nut Better posted:

Oh right, I always forget they marketed it as e-paper not e-ink. They really did a good job with it though.

They were trying to make the point that the display retains it's image with a stupid low amount of power thus the always on display wouldn't be a huge battery suck. Which is true, I have been extremely happy with the battery life on my Pebble, I've never had it die, when the low battery alert turns on whatever time of day it is it always has enough juice to make it to the charger at the end of the day.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They did say when it was going to be available. Oct 14th.

I'm not sold on the proportions though. The display is smaller and the watch is thicker.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

bull3964 posted:

I'm not sold on the proportions though. The display is smaller and the watch is thicker.

Honestly the display on the 360 has seemed a little on the disproportionately large side to me based on photos, I might feel completely differently if it was on my wrist though.

I like the design of the LG watch, I like the design of the 360, the LG has an OLED display and a newer more power efficient processor both of which could dramatically sway the battery life which if we are talking the difference between maybe getting through the day if you don't use it that much to easily, easily getting through the day with heavy use and then some I may be more than willing to deal with a smaller display and some tick marks.

Nut Better
Feb 17, 2011

Well I decided to take a chance and pick one up from google since they have them in stock at the moment:
https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=motorola_moto_360_leather_black

It says it won't ship until the 19th though and no free shipping. Cheapest option is $10 for 3-5 ground. At least I've heard they're good about their return policy

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's important to note that LG doesn't rate the G R as lasting longer than the original. That could be because the quoted life is with the display off, but we won't know for sure until it is out.

There's really not a hell of a lot you can squeeze out of a 400mah battery.

One thing to consider with the 360 is you can charge it in more places since you don't need a proprietary cradle. You just need a Qi charger.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Marques Brownlee says his Moto 360 is lasting an entire day

https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/507909682183540738

Edit: 41% after a full day

https://plus.google.com/+MarquesBrownlee/posts/T3ySTAjpyLe

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
My 360 is shipped from Best Buy. I was f5ing the bb page at noon and got it with in a few seconds of I going live.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

How well does Android Wear handle actually interacting with your phone?

I've used a Pebble for a while, and honestly really liked it aside from the styling. In particular, I really enjoyed the ease of flipping through notifications, and easy-to-use Pandora and Google Play Music controls. Does Android Wear handle that well also? Or is it mostly for more passive use?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

IuniusBrutus posted:

I've used a Pebble for a while, and honestly really liked it aside from the styling. In particular, I really enjoyed the ease of flipping through notifications, and easy-to-use Pandora and Google Play Music controls. Does Android Wear handle that well also? Or is it mostly for more passive use?

You see those alerts on your phone? They are now on your wrist.

It's pretty useful I guess if you keep your phone in a bag or something. I honestly find using my phone easier since acting on notifications usually involves, well, using your phone (although some apps allow interaction from the watch itself).

I still don't see Android Wear as a solid use case for me quite yet, round or square. My phone does all I need it to, YMMV.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tech Crunch says battery lasts "half a day."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dNCdPTc6Is

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Reverse Centaur posted:

Tech Crunch says battery lasts "half a day."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dNCdPTc6Is

"With heavy use"

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Mister Fister posted:

"With heavy use"

I can't imagine what heavy use is. It's just Google Now on your wrist. Unless they were checking their heart rate every 30 minutes or something.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The vicious circle of

"hey what is that?"
"A moto 360, it does all this stuff"
**give 5 minute demo, showing features on the watch and phone**

Repeat for everyone you encounter and you get a 45min runtime.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

incoherent posted:

The vicious circle of

"hey what is that?"
"A moto 360, it does all this stuff"
**give 5 minute demo, showing features on the watch and phone**

Repeat for everyone you encounter and you get a 45min runtime.

Ha, even with my Gear Live I was doing this all the time at work. Every time I'd point to something it'd come up. Definitely not a good choice for shy nerds.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Current motorola (in the past year) device owners will be able to customize the included watch faces with their own color schemes through the Moto Connect software.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/09/05/motorola-connect-app-updated-brings-exclusive-watch-face-customization-for-moto-360/

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

IuniusBrutus posted:

One thing Android Wear currently does not do that the Pebble can, is scroll through previous notifications. Once you dismiss a notification on your watch, it's gone. Though, if a message comes in (at least through hangouts, which is what I use) , you can scroll through your message history with the sender / hangout.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's a Google Now issue too.

Better never close the weather if you still want to see it before the next day.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Reverse Centaur posted:

Ha, even with my Gear Live I was doing this all the time at work. Every time I'd point to something it'd come up. Definitely not a good choice for shy nerds.

Hell, people still stop me on the street over my MetaWatch, and I've had it for 2 years and it only has as much functionality as a Pebble.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

bull3964 posted:

Current motorola (in the past year) device owners will be able to customize the included watch faces with their own color schemes through the Moto Connect software.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/09/05/motorola-connect-app-updated-brings-exclusive-watch-face-customization-for-moto-360/

Argh, this makes me more and more want a new Moto X, but I need to see what Nexus comes out and make a choice.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Argh, this makes me more and more want a new Moto X, but I need to see what Nexus comes out and make a choice.

Seriously. I think I'm on board. I do wanna see what apple does. But I think I'm pretty sure that itll be moto. Ive been waiting for a watch that can be "A watch" 90% of the time but give me access to things when I'm doing things that pulling a phone out would be rude.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This cheesy LG video makes the G Watch R look pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGx0_ChcD9A

Bit of a dig on Moto with the "perfect circle" intro.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Someone on Reddit's been doing testing on his Moto 360 for battery life and is sharing his data sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DMfEZInVsb4XJ9E2fbVrBTsuIHeueh6alT3NlgxCWks/edit#gid=1196089855

(If that link doesn't work, try this one: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DMfEZInVsb4XJ9E2fbVrBTsuIHeueh6alT3NlgxCWks/pubhtml)

http://www.reddit.com/r/moto360/comments/2fn66f/my_moto_360_battery_usage_near_real_time/

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ars posted their Moto 360 review: http://ars.to/1AaCYpw

Better than the other smart watches except in battery life and CPU.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
If I'm reading that spreadsheet correctly, it seems like the battery life issue might be due to toggling the "screen stays on when not in use" setting. With that turned off it seems to be a lot better.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Technogeek posted:

If I'm reading that spreadsheet correctly, it seems like the battery life issue might be due to toggling the "screen stays on when not in use" setting. With that turned off it seems to be a lot better.

When I don't use the device, it's battery lasts a whole lot longer!

Time and hopefully software updates will tell, I think this is the next Xoom. At least your wife will love the dual single core tegra 2 TI OMAP chipset.

e: fixed due to not knowing bbcode well enough to pull off referential comedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

FormatAmerica posted:

When I don't use the device, it's battery lasts a whole lot longer!

Time and hopefully software updates will tell, I think this is the next Xoom. At least your wife will love the dual single core tegra 2 TI OMAP chipset.

e: fixed due to not knowing bbcode well enough to pull off referential comedy

This is exactly why I'm putting a hold on buying this. Buying first-gen is just awful (Xoom was the worst thing ever) and even though its tempting, after a few days of what I'm sure will be plenty of angst about lovely battery/speed, I will regret the purchase.