Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Startyde posted:

The factory selection is free, but requires you create an NI login. They send you a serial to "register" it with.

This is the step I was missing.

Man, it seems surprisingly tough to find a VST to create what I thought was a pretty simple sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Popcorn posted:

This is the step I was missing.

Man, it seems surprisingly tough to find a VST to create what I thought was a pretty simple sound.

There's plenty of widely available VSTs that could do what you want. You just have to be willing to part with money to get them.

Free VSTs are different story (and you often get what you pay for).

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Let me put it another way: I thought it was such a basic sound I wouldn't have to pay money for it! Any recommendations for some cash-based solutions?

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
Are there any decent trombone VSTs out there? Even the EastWest EWSQLO Symphony Silver version blows goats. It would probably be cheaper just to sample a live one myself.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Samplemodeling: http://www.samplemodeling.com/en/products_trombone.php

edit: you want solo or sections? Jazzy or orchestral?

Broadway Lites (or Broadway Big Band) is another choice, but it's expensive. Best price to get it right now is from bestservice.de and use one of their coupons ($30 eur off $100 eur / $100 eur off $500 eur)

Cinesamples Cinebrass Core/Pro maybe? They're $400 each though. http://cinesamples.com/products/cinebrass/

mr_package fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 31, 2012

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

mr_package posted:

Samplemodeling: http://www.samplemodeling.com/en/products_trombone.php

edit: you want solo or sections? Jazzy or orchestral?

Broadway Lites (or Broadway Big Band) is another choice, but it's expensive. Best price to get it right now is from bestservice.de and use one of their coupons ($30 eur off $100 eur / $100 eur off $500 eur)

Cinesamples Cinebrass Core/Pro maybe? They're $400 each though. http://cinesamples.com/products/cinebrass/

In my search, I apparently didn't check the second result for trombone vst. Ugh. Sorry for being so dimwitted.

Samplemodeling sounds great! I basically want it for folk/klezmer rhythm to double on a tuba and the occasional Vinny Nobile-esque kind of fills. Thank you so very much.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Flipperwaldt posted:

Conveniently, I once sampled an old string synthesizer (Welson Symphony) and I still have those samples available for download as a rar here, if you need something to play around with (with whatever sampler you prefer). You'll have to reprogram the envelope curves if you're not using Kontakt though.

The string patches are pretty generic, but the piano and harpsichord have a nice eerie/otherworldly vibe going on. Thanks!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

h_double posted:

The string patches are pretty generic, but the piano and harpsichord have a nice eerie/otherworldly vibe going on. Thanks!
The cello part has a nice oomph to it in the lowest octave too, otherwise, apart from the weird harpsichord sound, yes, a bit generic.

Sampling the device was more of a conservation effort than anything else. I mean, suddenly I had this relic from the seventies in my house and it was going to disappear in almost complete anonimity. Fair enough, maybe more or less deservedly so, but still a bit of a pity, I thought.

So I'm mostly glad those few hours of work haven't completely gone to waste :)

Enjoy. Hey, generic waveforms mean fun messing around with effects, right? v:v:v

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
IK is now selling Sampletron for 85% off, at $29. It's all sorts of mellotrons, chamberlins, optigans, and other esoteric noisy old machines.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=1337

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Flipperwaldt posted:

Enjoy. Hey, generic waveforms mean fun messing around with effects, right? v:v:v

Just wanted to chime in in thanks. The cello really is something through the blofeld's PPG filter. The keymapping software didn't chew the samples correctly automatically but even at my lazy mapping of one note per octave it's nice and ethereal.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Startyde posted:

Just wanted to chime in in thanks. The cello really is something through the blofeld's PPG filter. The keymapping software didn't chew the samples correctly automatically but even at my lazy mapping of one note per octave it's nice and ethereal.
Wait, the Blofeld takes samples? Nice.

I recommend mapping more extensively, that will keep the periodicity of the modulation in the samples more or less constant when playing more than one note at once. Four samples per octave will do nicely. Or whatever, I'm glad you're having fun with it.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Flipperwaldt posted:

Wait, the Blofeld takes samples? Nice.
Yeah, blokeys has it built in, desktop requires purchase of a license but the hardware was there from the start. It's really lovely but I you have to burn the entire NAND flash every time you want to change it. I don't do it that often really but until you get what you'll likely be using regularly down, it can be trying for folks. I remember blowing PROMs so it doesn't bother me much.

quote:

I recommend mapping more extensively, that will keep the periodicity of the modulation in the samples more or less constant when playing more than one note at once. Four samples per octave will do nicely. Or whatever, I'm glad you're having fun with it.

My lazy multisampling stems from the old EPS days, that thing had magical pixiedust inside. Unfortunately nothing else does so it doesn't work out as well as it did!
Here it is as WPC, save the harpsichord samples because of space vs utility concerns. For the blofeld owners lazier than me.

titpussyasscum
Dec 2, 2004

every time i come here i get lost as fuck
Anyone know of something that will pitch shift the audio differently per channel? Say, I want to shift the left channel 10hz higher than the right channel.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

titpussyasscum posted:

Anyone know of something that will pitch shift the audio differently per channel? Say, I want to shift the left channel 10hz higher than the right channel.

Just make two different tracks and pan hard left and right, apply the pitch shift to the left panned track

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Discord3 from audiodamage should be able to do that. Its a delay+pitchshift plugin but you may be able to disable the delay, to do what you want. It definitely has independent L/R pitch shift...

breaks
May 12, 2001

There's also DMG Pitchfunk.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
DCAM FreeComp is a free new SSL style 2-buss compressor. It sounds really darned nice and is amazingly good for a freebie. It's a stripped-down version of the buss compressor in the ($99) DCAM Dynamics suite, with the same basic algorhythm but minus a couple of features -- there's no separate release knob (it's always set to auto-release), no wet/dry knob, etc. Still, as a basic 2-buss compressor it's pretty badassed. I A/B'd it with Cytomik's "The Glue", another SSL-modeled compressor (which is $99 by itself, and is admittedly more featureful/versatile), and it's pretty close. I prefer The Glue by just a hair, at least for rock or dance tracks, as it sounds punchier and more exciting/energetic. But FreeComp sounds a bit smoother and more transparent and "analog" and I could totally see myself using it on more mellow or acoustic tracks. Pretty much the only minor downside is you have to install FXPansion's license manager to authorize it (which is moderately less lovely than, say, Native Instruments' auth manager), but at least they are upfront that one of the reasons they are giving it away is they want people to check out their license manager thing, so good on them. This thing rocks.

bx_cleansweep is a nice little utility plugin with 6dB lowpass & hipass filters ("Analog style filter curves without the typical Nyquist problems") This seems pretty handy if you just need to cleanly trim off the low end / high end of a track without a lot of fuss or overhead. Like the DCAM FreeComp, this is a stripped down version of a commercial plugin, and it sounds pretty good. I really don't like the joystick dealie on the UI but it's easy to ignore. I expect I'll be using this a lot.

Blue Cat Audio has some nice freebies, I discovered them when I was looking for a better chorus than the one that comes with Live. I've only tried the chorus and flanger but there's also an EQ, a frequency analyzer, and a gain tool of some sort.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
How many SSL buscomp emulations does the world really need? (I have like.. 5)

edit: might as well add a plugin

This is forever locked into my project template. Frequencies, pan, RMS, Peak. Numbers! Statistics!

Available from the T-racks singles pack from IK

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 5, 2012

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I reviewed some free EQ plugins (bx_cleansweep, SonEQ, MarvelGEQ) on my blog, have a look if you enjoy free plugins and/or equalization.

http://discolingua.com/wordpress/?p=69

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zg8jD9q5nk

Can anyone recommend a VST close to this sort of processed slap bass sound?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Just use a sample of an actual bass guitar. The bass in that clip was probably processed with some compression, chorus, and a bit of distortion.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
I wasn't going to buy any more soft synths, but then I had to go and hear Sugar Bytes Cyclop and fell in love with the chaotic nature of it. Having tons of fun today.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

h_double posted:

Just use a sample of an actual bass guitar. The bass in that clip was probably processed with some compression, chorus, and a bit of distortion.

I have a bassline written, but I'm struggling to find an instrument to play it (I'm not a competent enough funk bassist to play and record it myself, and besides, I wan that processed French touch sound).

Would you recommend trying to build an instrument out of real bass samples (as opposed to just finding some clip of a random bass noodle that fits the mood)? If so, any recommendations for samples to use?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Popcorn posted:

Would you recommend trying to build an instrument out of real bass samples (as opposed to just finding some clip of a random bass noodle that fits the mood)?

I'm pretty sure that's what h_double meant in his post. Sample some single notes, put them together in a sampler, play whatever bassline you want on that.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I'd play the whole phrase on bass (or enlist a bassist to help you out) rather than just sampling a single note -- the articulation between the notes is a big part of what makes it groove.

The other part of that sound, I think, is that it's pretty heavily gated, so there's not much sustain on the bass notes, that's what gives the notes the pumping/pulsing sound.

You might be able to get something satisfactory with a good bass multisample (e.g. something like the Kontakt library), or I've heard good reviews of Trilogy/Trillian (though it's pretty expensive), though an actual bass would still be my first choice; it's a really fun instrument and it's pretty easy to pick up enough to at least play short riffs.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
Black Friday deals alert:

- Waves is offering some ridiculously low prices on several bundles and individual plugins. (Just double-check compatibility first if you're an Ableton Live user.) I would totally jump on the Native Power Pack bundle if I hadn't entirely tapped out my music budget on some vintage analog stuff this week.

- Native Instruments is also offering 50% off most Komplete products and all Maschine expansions (and also Traktor).

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
native power pack, price is right. grab that if you need it. (I dont but I got the one knob free thingie)

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
I've been looking at the Native Instruments sale and wanted to see what you guys thought of the Vintage Compressors, Solid Mix Series, and the Premium Tube series. Anyone have any experience with these or can recommend a better product for roughly the same price or less?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
I ended up snagging DCAM Synth Squad and Geist for $85 each from the JRRShop sale. Since I only have base Ableton 8, I figured it was a good opportunity to snag some real instruments.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
EW is 50% as well. Hollywood Strings / Brass included.

Both 8Dio and Soundiron doing great sales also.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Out of curiosity, I've been using the KarmaFX demo today for personal research for my own project, but also for playing around in Ableton. Why does that modular synth VST get so much love? It has some weird ideas about setting things up. Like when I create a simple synth, I'd expect Controller->Osc->Amp->Out, this thing however expects Osc->Amp->Controller->Out. Which makes no sense, because why would the pitch be defined right at the output instead on the oscillator? And there don't seem to be clear defined relationships between outputs and inputs, say connecting a LFO to the cutoff of a filter, which doesn't get you anywhere, because it isn't simulating anything like CV/G with octave or hz per volt.

Also, can anyone give me a ballpark idea about how complex the VST SDK is?

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also, can anyone give me a ballpark idea about how complex the VST SDK is?
I don't actually have any personal experience with it, but everyone I know who has really tried to create some sort of VST has been very much a programmer first and musician second, and it took forever.

But if you have a need to program your own real-time DSP processing for some reason, FlowStone comes highly recommended to me. Again, not something I have actually dug into yet, but I know a couple of guys who have created some really cool stuff with it without investing 6 months of time learning to code.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I guess my app will stay stand-alone then.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

You can download the free version and pay per-export to make VSTs (Windows only I think) or standalone exe's from FlowStone, but if you already have it coded in another language I guess you'd be doing a lot of work to rewrite it in their language. Unless you did it in Ruby, which I think it can parse...

e: although I think you are limited to 1 input and output in the free version :(

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 28, 2012

haakman
May 5, 2011
Talk to me about drums and percussion samples. I'm looking for big sounding drums. thunderous taiko type percussion you'd find in trailers and such. Is it all done in post production?

I've been using Stormdrum for a while now, but I suspect times have changed since I started using it. Any ideas or recommendations?

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug

haakman posted:

Talk to me about drums and percussion samples. I'm looking for big sounding drums. thunderous taiko type percussion you'd find in trailers and such. Is it all done in post production?

I've been using Stormdrum for a while now, but I suspect times have changed since I started using it. Any ideas or recommendations?

Damage sounds like what you're looking for. http://www.heavyocity.com/damage
Kind of expensive but it was 50% off during Halloween and black friday sales so it might get lowered again around christmas.

They sell it on Native Instrument's site too so their sales might affect it instead of buying it from that link.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000
Soundiron Apocalypse Percussion Ensemble.

Others: 8Dio Epic Taiko (they make a solo taiko too). Cinesamples just released a huge perc library, Spitfire has an excellent one as well.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Both 8Dio and Sound Iron are great companies. I believe they used to be the same company, and then split into those two. I've got sample packs from the first incarnation and they're well organized and perfectly recorded.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Nine Volt Audio has a sale on their Taiko set (among other things)

http://www.ninevoltaudio.com/products/stickbreakers_vol2.html

They sound really nice, and for $35 you really can't go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

EastWest is having a holiday sale- 50% off
http://www.soundsonline.com/Holiday-Promotion

Does anyone have Hollywood strings/brass and can weigh in on whether it's worth it (it comes to $600 for both)? I had really good luck with their Symphonic Orchestra Silver but costwise this is another ballpark. It's for big dumb symphonic pieces and the occasional Bartok/Glass ripoff.

NC Wyeth Death Cult fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 11, 2012